New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

oroplata  
Posted : Monday, 19 December 2011 11:26:39 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

We keep on digging up old WWII rifle cartridges in Hagley Park, not just in one spot but all over North Hagley.

Here's a snippet that helps explain it...

Quote:
The school survived the Great Depression and both major wars of the 20th century. During World War 2 all boys from Standard 5 up joined the cadet unit. It was known as C Company, 1st Cadet Battalion, Canterbury region. The unit was issued with arms for target practice. The boys were also responsible for trench digging in Hagley Park.

http://www.cathedralgram...hool.nz/about-us/history

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 19 December 2011 11:44:14 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post

We keep on digging up old WWII rifle cartridges in Hagley Park, not just in one spot but all over North Hagley.

Here's a snippet that helps explain it...

Quote:
The school survived the Great Depression and both major wars of the 20th century. During World War 2 all boys from Standard 5 up joined the cadet unit. It was known as C Company, 1st Cadet Battalion, Canterbury region. The unit was issued with arms for target practice. The boys were also responsible for trench digging in Hagley Park.

http://www.cathedralgram...hool.nz/about-us/history

I stand to be corrected here but the first question I ask is what type of rifle cartridges are they - to be cadet use they would have to be prior to and around the time of WWI either .22 or .297/230 or .310 cadet or .303 and if WWII then .22 or .303

If they are scattered around the park then one must assume that for cadet use they would have to be blanks as live ammunition would be restricted to the range! If they are of WWII vintage then they will be marked with the date if .303 - generally in the case of CAC ammunition the date in two digits eg 41 for 1941

If they have lines which were apparent crimp lines to hold the top in tight without a projectile then they will be blanks and likely cadet practice use. This would likely restrict them to .22 or .303 By the time of WWII both 297/230 and .310 cadet were likely obsolete for cadet use.

I have my suspicions that cadets would have been required to bring spent ammunition back to base as we were so that it could be determined that no little rascals had swiped live ammunition - it all had to be accounted for - live, dead or indifferent!

If they are spent cartridges which had been live ammunition complete with projectile then let me assure you no dear little cadets would have used them in the park - never - unless there was a range sited there and if there was or was not then my quesiton is why werent they just taken down to Burnham a few miles down the road to the Army range? Your article states target practice - that means formal shooting on a range and not all over the park. The cadets would also not be allowed to retain the empties and even if they could they would hardly throw them all over the park.

Is it possible to get some photos of the shells please as I am quite curious about them.

I would be more inclined to believe that soil might have been brought in for fill from some site where a substantial amount of shooting took place and with the soil the spent cartridge cases.

Edited by user Monday, 19 December 2011 11:55:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

oroplata  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 December 2011 12:26:02 AM(UTC)
oroplata

I just pulled them out to have a look. 19 in total (so far)

1 still has the projectile in the end but that one is a different smaller calibre - hard to read but something like super-sp___ and 30-60 WIN on it.

The one I've cleaned (by leaving in vinegar) appears to be brass coated copper and not crimped. CAC C VI

There is one that is definitely crimped but has no lettering visible.

The rest would also need some cleaning done to see any stamped letters on them. Hopefully Chris has got some in better condition that would reveal more.

oroplata  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 December 2011 11:29:14 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Found 3 more lying around the house.

A blank with C.A.C. 20 VII Z
An unknown type with CAC 1943 VII
One with no visible markings

madsonicboating  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 December 2011 12:16:34 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
I too have found heaps of shells down my area in parks etc...just goes to show that in the good ol days when you wanted to shoot your gun, you could!

In my park I have found enfield/snider (3 grooves and no grooves) spent projectiles that have clearly smacked something hard...the size of the lumps of lead is awesome...you'd certainly hear the bastards flying over your head and I imagine if hit your head would pop.

It's all history! Love the story that goes with hagley park man!!

A recent find of mine as a button that has rifle volunteers on it...this is particulary cool as this was the early lads who are still classed as settlers of my town...as far as I know NZ rifle volunteers memobillia is rare which makes it even cooler :)

Dan
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 December 2011 3:13:58 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
"A recent find of mine as a button that has rifle volunteers on it."

Can we see a pic of that Dan?
Chris.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 December 2011 3:20:26 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: madsonicboating Go to Quoted Post
I too have found heaps of shells down my area in parks etc...just goes to show that in the good ol days when you wanted to shoot your gun, you could!

In my park I have found enfield/snider (3 grooves and no grooves) spent projectiles that have clearly smacked something hard...the size of the lumps of lead is awesome...you'd certainly hear the bastards flying over your head and I imagine if hit your head would pop.

It's all history! Love the story that goes with hagley park man!!

A recent find of mine as a button that has rifle volunteers on it...this is particulary cool as this was the early lads who are still classed as settlers of my town...as far as I know NZ rifle volunteers memobillia is rare which makes it even cooler :)

Dan

Interesting about the Rifle Volunteers as I have here, belonging to the mother of my children a locket marked CCRV - Military Sports Officers Race 100yds Won by ****** Hon Lieut. The kids mothers family were La De Da and from Christchurch - Their names are quite famous in Christchurch History - anyway I had wondered what CCRV meant so now, thanks to you it all makes sense - Christchurch City Rifle Volunteers.

Can you put a calliper on your projectiles please as I am curious - I have owned many Sniders and Enfields and just checked this moment and the last three I have - two Sniders and a Volunteer Enfield are all five groove rifling. I think the Pattern 53 Enfield may have been three groove however and I am aware that New Zealand did get a lot of rifles which were deemed more or less obsolete so I guess three grooves does stand to reason. I might expect you to find at least some five groove projectiles though.

In the period 1965 A lot of Spencer carbines in the US and also Sharps were relined and with three groove rifling though these would have been virtually non existent in New Zealand - it is known that at least one Spencer was here as he ran around shooting at the poorly armed British and Militia with a Spencer.
creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 December 2011 9:06:12 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Cool post. Found an old .310 in a playground the other day.

Shane

Found an old .310
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Tuesday, 20 December 2011 9:09:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 December 2011 9:53:58 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Shane - thats a cool one to find - until recently I was shooting hundreds of them off but now I am down to three full packets. They were used extensively in .310 cadet rifles. Rifles made by BSA were most common but some were made by Wesley Richards - they were Martini rifles and now desirable collector pieces.

It would be a very very high probability that your shell was fired out of a rifle exactly the same as this one.

The heater shown below is marked 'Commonwealth of Australia' on the side of the receiver and that is the writing that is visible and also barely visible is a Q for Queensland.

Edited by user Tuesday, 20 December 2011 9:57:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw attached the following image(s):
002 (500x375).jpg
madsonicboating  
Posted : Wednesday, 21 December 2011 12:24:19 AM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

thats interesting about the different types of rifles I had no idea there were so many...I thought the rings were oil rings and there were 2 types haha!

Here's all my projectiles and a couple of shells...I throw most shells out as they are brittle and break. 2 of them, the smooth ones were obviously drops and were close together.

Also all my millitary buttons..some NZ forces, some british and of course the NZ rifle volunteers one

one day soon I'm ging to make small rimu frames and glass top these in like ya see the yanks do with their collections...then I can hang em on the wall and enjoy them. The stories these could tell....
madsonicboating attached the following image(s):
all projectiles [1024x768].JPG
DSCF3141 [1024x768].JPG
DSCF3142 [1024x768].JPG
DSCF3144 [1024x768].JPG
DSCF3147 [1024x768].JPG
all buttons.JPG
DSCF3149 [1024x768].JPG
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 21 December 2011 12:39:04 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Hi Dan

Like the Rifle Volunteer button - its a cracker.

I will give a more detailed description later if you are interested but needless to say that I really like thema nd would be happy to find them - the three shells at the bottom you can always claim were found in the Transvaal and obviously came form a Boer skirmish although they were obsolete then as the .303 was well and truly the standard arm.

Although there are many shells which look just like those three they will be Martini Henry .450/577 and in fact are basically bottlenecked Snider Shells.
madsonicboating  
Posted : Wednesday, 21 December 2011 12:49:40 AM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dan

Like the Rifle Volunteer button - its a cracker.

I will give a more detailed description later if you are interested but needless to say that I really like thema nd would be happy to find them - the three shells at the bottom you can always claim were found in the Transvaal and obviously came form a Boer skirmish although they were obsolete then as the .303 was well and truly the standard arm.

Although there are many shells which look just like those three they will be Martini Henry .450/577 and in fact are basically bottlenecked Snider Shells.

They're bloody big ae!! I imagine ya'd have to have a decent sized shoulder firing a hundred a day of them! would piss bowl an possum out of a tree pretty good too I reckon!

Always interested in info on history especially if its the rifle volunteers...we had some in my town and they were based at the hall which was originally setup for settlers in the town to stay untill they obtained land etc...

Dan
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 21 December 2011 9:14:27 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Further to the projectiles as promised - I have just taken a brand new projectile from the same era - C1890 - and have measured it. An unfired Martini Henry .450/577 projectile from a shell that refused to go bang - some go 'Pop' some go 'Fizz - Pop' some go 'Bang' some go 'Click - Pop' or 'Click - Fizz - Pop' and some go 'BOOM!@ and the odd one doesnt do anything at all - it just sits there looking dangerous with a dint in its arse - and it is these ones which are sitting here ready to be operated on - sort of artifically rescusitated - new primer and powder after I auger the old hardened powder out! This projectile is exactly 32.5mm long and 11.5mm wide with a diameter discrepancy of about .25mm between the top half of the projectile and the part inside the shell so your projectile measured accordingly is a Martini Henry without a doubt. I would also think that the 28mm by 10mm one is as well - time and oxidation can have their effects and give discrepancies in the measurements.

The base of an unfired shell has a slightly concave base and I note in the one I am holding that within the base I can make out the letters and digits N 8 Z 8 though on your fired projectiles it might be hard to determine if the base originally had a slightly concave base or not and whether there was originally any letters or numbers. I might assume that the N 8 Z 8 meant New Zealand (CAC loading?) 1888
'
The larger projectiles will be Snider - they have the same type of base as a Minnie bullet - hollow with a plug in it - the plug pushed into the tapered hollow when the powder ignites creating pressure to push the bullet forward and expands the lead skirt of the projectile into the rifling grooves tightly.

Edited by user Thursday, 22 December 2011 8:25:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 22 December 2011 8:14:54 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

These are wot ive found with a detector so far. Top four i found on a beach, think there .303, a .310 cadet, a .22 (one of a few) and not sure about the one on the bottom right. Measures aprox 8-9mm by 18mm long. Looks like a pistol shot to me.

Shane

UserPostedImage
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 22 December 2011 9:03:19 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Hi Shane - I will not gaurantee it with a money back certainty but I would be pretty certain that your bottom right one is a .38 or 9mm projectile and I think you have correctly identified it as a pistol one. I do not think it is from a factory load - I think it is a commercial projectile purchased for reloading so it probably originates from a reload but as I said - no promises that I am correct.
Flintlock  
Posted : Friday, 23 December 2011 7:24:13 AM(UTC)
Flintlock

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I tend to agree about the pistol projectile. Looks to be a more modern one. A lot of the Hornady swaged lead projectiles had knurling on them and a lubricant in the knurling, rather than in a grease groove. Normally you would expect to see more evidence of the rifling so it may not have been fired out of a proper firearm.
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 23 December 2011 7:57:55 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Cheers for that info guys. Its quite chunky and heavy, and in reasonable condition. I considered this one a good find as i dont think ive ever found a pistol shot before.

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
madsonicboating  
Posted : Sunday, 25 December 2011 2:35:25 AM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

haha cool man you have found some nice twisty ones there :)

Dan
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 26 December 2011 11:39:23 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Im guessing that they were fired from a boat to shore as i found them on a popular northland beach. Bit of shell and rock around the spot. I didnt know what they were until this old timer came along and said ''ive seen plenty of those back in the war, there bullets''. Ah yes, so they are.

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 26 December 2011 12:14:59 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: creamer Go to Quoted Post
Im guessing that they were fired from a boat to shore as i found them on a popular northland beach. Bit of shell and rock around the spot. I didnt know what they were until this old timer came along and said ''ive seen plenty of those back in the war, there bullets''. Ah yes, so they are.

Shane

I think that things have changed a bit over the last twenty years because it is not so long ago that if anyone wanted to sight a rifle in all they had to do was to go down to the beach...if they got reported then the local cop would come along and ask you what you were doing. You told him that you were sighting your rifle in and he had a friendly chat about the weather, local happenings, ballistics and then after warning you to be careful because there were others likely to be about went on his merry way.
Today if you sight your rifle in on the beach the first person who comes along whines, whinges, complains and runs off with their tail between their legs pimping to the Police - helicopters are called, the Armed offenders Squad notified and rushed to the scene and before long your are surrounded by Darth Vader and the Gestapo, heavily armed, dressed in black and being the legal psychopaths they are - to anyone who objects to me saying that then carefully bear in mind that if you volunteer to take on a job which involves killing your fellow human being then you are obviously prepared to kill and must therefore have psychopathic tendencies - you find yourself staring down the barrels of several loaded guns!

To cut a long story short Shane I would guess that back sometime in the past someone was either amusing themselves harmlessly passing a Saturday afternoon shooting targets on the beach or sighting their rifle in or during WWII the Home Guard was shooting shit out of imaginery Banzai Monekys.

Edited by user Monday, 26 December 2011 12:17:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified