New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Lemuel  
Posted : Tuesday, 27 July 2010 7:03:58 PM(UTC)
Lemuel

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Great to see an active community here! I thought I'd introduce myself.

I took up gold prospecting as a hobby the Summer before last.. I've long been fascinated by the history of the goldfields so I love to immerse myself into the life of the old timers. This means I like to choose fossicking areas where I can camp nearby. There is nothing quite like boiling a billy and sipping whiskey while watching the stars after a hard days work in the creek. (Or sheltering under canvas during one of those wicked West Coast thunderstorms!).

My tools are usually limited to my trusty shovel and pan with a sieve to speed the process but earlier this year I bought a small sluice box which I'm yet to give a try.

I'm Dunedin based and have camped near fossicking sites on the West Coast and Central Otago. Last year I offered my office mates the opportunity to join me at Gabriel's Gully which was a great hit. Although it is one of the smaller and poorer sites that I've visited my mates all loved being taught how to pan for their own gold. The Lawrence museum kindly loaned us a dozen rusted old pans.

I look forward to reading more about peoples experiences. Also if anyone can recommend any spots where one can camp near diggings then I'm all ears! A few places I haven't been to but look forward to trying include Arrowtown, Lyell and the Wakamarina.
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 July 2010 4:17:33 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Welcome aboard Lemuel! :)

Arrowtown is where I've found the most so far out of the public fossicking spots - looking forward to taking my 4wd on a bit of an adventure up the river to Mace Town in the summer :) Lyell Creek has an awesome campsite - just nice being up on a hill looking down on everything.

Gav :)
1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 August 2010 6:03:34 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Hey there ive just signed up to this forum

U mentioned ud like to have a go up the wakamarina. iVe been ther in the past thers a camping ground there with all the mod cons also ive got some reasonable gold from the main beach there. Last summere i got around 5 gramms ther, thats two weekend trips worth so can be ok.

happy hunting
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
Flintlock  
Posted : Tuesday, 10 August 2010 10:14:40 AM(UTC)
Flintlock

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi Lemuel,

I've just joined this site, nice to see you here too.

Flintlock (Ian)

Ashburton