New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

jase265  
Posted : Monday, 2 August 2010 3:31:46 PM(UTC)
jase265

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
hi guysan gals, i have just got the gold bug , well in between other things, i live in good old
gore...an i know people dont just tell you where the good spots are for a dig, but i will ask any way.
i have been to most public areas to no avila , if any one knows of a spot in southland or otago , that would be great to hear.
thanks.
jason
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Monday, 2 August 2010 6:20:44 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Hi jason what sort of gear do you have? when you mean no avail do you mean zilch! or...not much?
jase265  
Posted : Tuesday, 3 August 2010 1:35:02 PM(UTC)
jase265

hey, well i have a crevis sucker that i use the most, i find cleaning out the crevis in coal in the creek
is where i have got all my gold flakes from, not a lot but ok i guess. i have made some sluice boxes but dont work to well. also have wetsuit yet to use that. dont have dredge.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Tuesday, 3 August 2010 3:13:36 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

o yes well basically all i was going to suggest was to do pritty much what you are doing already buy checking out those coal cracks....a freind of mine once told me about the waimumu stream he seem,d to think that was worth a look though i dont think its ever been noted for any nuggets but if your in gore at least it,s not to far to travle for a bit of color.
jase265  
Posted : Tuesday, 3 August 2010 5:23:58 PM(UTC)
jase265

yea its not far to travel, i just cant seem to find enough coal with cracks in it lol as its not everywhere, and as for bedrock i dont think it has bed rock just mud going by the history from when the dredges worked the stream, its very bright gold , most flat flakes an odd thicker bits. so only thing left to do would be to get a good sluice going an shovel the gravel for a few hours, if the gold iam getting is flood gold then i should be able to suck these cracks again? what i need to do is invent something that can suck really hard but also fit in the small cracks to clean them better.
as for the mataura river , im not to sure, there is gold there but its a big river.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Tuesday, 3 August 2010 6:07:58 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Yea my m8 he found a bit in the banks were the old dredges havent worked...or for that matter the trommel operators i dont no how much of the creek you have seen but seemly if you go a couple of k,s bellow that gold mine thats operating (do you no were that is?) every couner has got a big pile of tailings so must be something worth wile ther for them....or not!
as for the mataura i believe some1 has a claim on it at the mo so may pay to tred carefully as some of these fellas can get a wee bit grumpy...another place thats worth a mention would be the clutha thers a lot of scope ther but again its gota claim on it so i gess it depends on weather your actually working the river or perhaps the odd terrece above it or beach for that matter....i suppose

jase265  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 August 2010 2:19:54 PM(UTC)
jase265

ok, i dont know where the dredges started or stoped or havent worked, i just muck around in mataura, an im not sure where that gold mine is, is it where the feild days is ? i have read in a history book on the waimumu was better for gold than the mataura. also the creek runs from dolamore park,is it possible the gold is coming from the hills ?
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 August 2010 3:09:12 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Yes thats were the mine is.as for the gold comeing from the hills well im farely shure its all glaicer stuff so wilst ther maybe gold in them thar hills its probly in the same quantity as down the waimumu area haveing said that to my knollage ther isnt any old diggings up in the hills though ther is a couple of old water races but i think that had something to do with the coal pits they were digging out of ther to run the dredges down further at waimumu.the only reference iv found to any nuggety stuff in the gore area was out at waikaka the gold was described as "shotty" but that was when the gold feilds were 1st descoverd.really if you want the chance to find anything of any size youd be better off driveing up to otago sumwere.actually i did here a story about a farmer drilling for water down at edendale way and found a 3ounce nugget...bealieve it...or not!