New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwisouth  
Posted : Monday, 30 January 2012 9:18:33 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
We was talking about railways in one of the forums the other days and got me thinking that the different transport options people had in the old days.

I thought it might be helpful to do some posts to help folks find some areas other than parks, playgrounds and beaches.

When I was living in Chch, I bought three books put out by the Tramway Historical Society. Collectively, they were called "On the move: Christchurch transport through the years". Number 3 was Rail in the roads, the steam and horse tram era in Christchurch. Number 5 The country commuter, the regional railway network of Christchurch and Number 6, The tidal travellers, the small ships of Canterbury.

The library had them then I managed to find them in a book shop.

For you guys in Shake Town, you have some pretty historical areas and these books with maps and photos show some interesting spots. When I was based at Burnham, I was interested to see railway tracks that came off the main trunk line and into the Camp ending at the Stores area. Seems there used to be twice daily trains bringing people to and from work, pretty much like a bus system which ended up replacing it. Goes back to WW 2 supposedly. The trains used to bring "the ladies" out for dances and the flicks at the camp cinema. Tracking back to the mainline. I searched around the area beside the track and found quite a bit of "stuff" including where the old fireboxes were emptied out. All along the main trunk line, there used to be railway stations, some were just stops but you also had the railway camps for back in the day when the rail was being laid down.

Maps also showed where old jetties used to be. Heard of the Sumner Pier and Lifeboat Shed? What about the long pier that used exist in Clifton? Those areas may be interesting but they may have gone into disuse due to rising sand levels. But what the sea drops, it can also take away.

What about the Bricks Wharf Memorial not far from Barbadoes Street Bridge? Small water craft used to come up the Avon, perhaps as early as 1843. Not sure how deep the Avon is there these days, but again, might be good for a look.

That's just for starters.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
chrischch  
Posted : Monday, 30 January 2012 11:44:16 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Interesting.....thank you.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.