New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages<123>
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Monday, 30 August 2010 2:54:35 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
SMALL SCALE GOLD ACTIVITIES
it is proposed to remove the requirement to obtain a permit for non mechanised gold activities such as panning & operations useing low mechanisation(where the machinery used does not exceed 5 horse power)"such activities may only be carried out were there is no existing permit over the area".as a result of this change the provisions on gold fossicking areas would also be able to be repealed...theres no mention of detecting in ther so is probley something that should be put in ther.
criticol  
Posted : Monday, 30 August 2010 3:28:47 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
"Hi" GBM.

I'd guess that "Non-mechanised", means just that? and encompasses the use of detectors too?

There certainly not "Mechanised", because I cant find a petrol filler cap on mine.

Cheers---Colin.

criticol  
Posted : Tuesday, 31 August 2010 9:38:51 AM(UTC)
criticol

"IN A NUTSHELL" !

Mineral and petroleum permitting review.
27 August 2010 - Energy and Resources Minister Gerry Brownlee today invited feedback.
“The proposed amendments to the Act are not extensive and do not represent any significant changes in the way the Crown manages and allocates rights to the country’s petroleum, gold and silver resources, or minerals on or under land owned by the Crown,”
“The review will also bring added clarity and efficiencies to the permitting system, which will remove unnecessary costs to the government and permit holders.”
“There is no intention to change the current situation where minerals permits, Resource Management Act consents, health and safety approvals, and land access consents are required separately before exploration or mining activity can commence,”

Feedback on the paper is sought by 5.00pm Friday 8 October 2010.
Media contact: Nick Bryant on 04 817 8273 or 021 245 8272.

It is envisaged that a Bill will be introduced to Parliament in December 2010. There will be a further opportunity for public input into the legislative changes as the Bill makes its
way through the Select Committee process during 2011.

This is the “Main” change to be made to the CMA that “Will” affect us fossickers.

PART 2: Key changes to the Crown Minerals Act.
Removing Permit Requirements for Small-Scale Gold Activities in River and Lake Beds and Coastal Marine Areas

To streamline and simplify the regime, the following are proposed:
Removing the requirement to obtain a permit from small-scale gold mining activities because the fees received are generally outweighed by the resources to process and manage the permits.

(5) Small-scale gold activities.

======================================================
Clause:5.1 Around a quarter of the minerals mining permits granted by Crown Minerals relate to small-scale operations,principally beach-sand gold and suction dredge operations. The scale of these activities means that any fees received are outweighed by the resources required to process and manage these permits. It is proposed to remove the requirement to obtain a permit for non-mechanized gold activities (such as gold panning) and operations using low mechanization (where the machinery used does not exceed 5 horsepower)in river and lake beds and coastal marine areas (save that such activities may only be carried out where there is no existing permit over the area).
As a result of this change,the provisions on gold fossicking areas would also be able to be repealed.

======================================================

Have your say!

How to make a submission.
You are invited to provide feedback on this discussion paper.
Responses are due by 5.00pm on 8 October 2010.
When making a submission, please include your name, organization’s name (if applicable), and your address (postal and/or email) and either:
Send your comments by email, preferably in a Microsoft Word document, to

[email protected]. (Preferred option)

or mail a hard copy to:
Crown Minerals Act Review
Ministry of Economic Development
PO Box 1473.
Wellington 6140.

Submission questions
Question 13. (Page 20) Do you have any comments on the proposal to remove permit requirements for small-scale gold activities in river and lake beds and coastal marine areas?
======================================
What is being reviewed?
A review of the whole Crown-minerals management regime is being undertaken, in two phases:
Phase 1: The current review and consultation looks at specific proposals to amend the Crown Minerals Act 1991.
Phase 2: The second phase will take place in early 2011 and will include a consultation on proposed revisions to the minerals programmes and regulations.

July 2011. Enactment. New programmes and regulations to come into force.

Cheers---Colin.

P.S. Just in case: I personally recommend, that a mention is strongly made as to metal detectors being included in the new bill.
Also that permitted fossicking areas include occupied/unoccupied crown lands.
Plus:
Exploration licensed grounds, due to their enormous coverage of land.
criticol  
Posted : Tuesday, 31 August 2010 11:18:16 AM(UTC)
criticol

Have you had a look at the minerals Review posting by me.

Its was 4 am, and I had just been woken up as my subconscious mind finished digesting the Bills implications whilst I slept, and then promptly woke me up to its happy calculation of the Review’s “Probable” significance for me.

At first glance it doesn’t seem to be of much interest at all, bit droll really?

But do we need More?
(I don’t really, because I am only detecting now, and clause 5.1 suits me fine.)

If we cant get concessions included in the final legislations for freedom to fossick on Crown lands, or Exploration licenses, by submitting a petition,then not to worry to much, as there are a couple of “Good Points” in our favor in the bill as proposed !

Being able to fossick without a permit, puts this category into the same light as it now stands in the Governments “Public” gold fossicking areas.
This “Proposed” new ruling, should now mean that what we find, is “Ours” to keep.
It should also clear the way for us to sell our small finds legitimately.
(Because you can do this if you find gold in a public fossicking area!)

So this clause needs our support?

If we can get concessions to Crown, or Exploration grounds, then you can bet that I’ll be a real happy person. Because, there’s enough of these lands in the Coromandel area where I live to keep me happy for yonks.
And if I can now negotiate with the Iwi’s for myself, without getting tied up with big costs, and loads of bureaucratic paperwork, then there’s also some of their lands on gold bearing ground here.
“VIVA NEW ZEALAND” !!!!!!
For me, these new regulations cant come round fast enough.

So for better or worse, the proposed pending regulation in Clause 5.1 has got my long winded submission letter down to just one word---YES!

Cheers---Colin.

criticol  
Posted : Tuesday, 31 August 2010 11:44:56 AM(UTC)
criticol

For Gavins consideration.

Hi Gavin.

It would appear that two petitions for are necessary to be put up on the forum, to send electronic submissions to the review panel of the CMA. (if you should agree to do this).

I.E. one to agree to clause 5.1.

And a second one to try to persuade the government to change their present standings on Crown lands, and also to attempt to get them to concede, to slacken their standings over extensive Exploration licenses being “Taboo” to fossikers.

Cheers---Colin.

criticol  
Posted : Tuesday, 31 August 2010 12:28:06 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hi Gang.

This was my long winded letter that I was going to send to the CMA,
re--"The Review".

However,I have realized that I may not bother to do so now.
I decided to post it, so that some of you good people may be able to
use some of its "Valid"? points to maybe beef up your own submissions.

You are most welcome to do this if your stuck for a few ideas?

Enjoy!
=========================================

Dear Sir,

The development of metal detectors in the 1980s, and the rapid advances in their development, has led to a renewed interest in prospecting and small mining practices in New Zealand.
These small scale mining practices are an important part of our heritage.

We propose that the current regulations should be lessened in severity somewhat, so that smaller players may gain some personal benefits of satisfaction from their hobby.
These persons are mainly only focused on shallow mineralized deposits of possible interest to themselves, and their personal activities cause very low risk operations, which hopefully, should not pose any concerns for the community and/or the environment.

A reduction of some of the current regulations in force, would definitely benefit this minority industry, and generally cause a saving of some of those exorbitant administrative costs for our Government.

We also strongly believe in the right of individuals to have the opportunity to share in New Zealand’s considerable mineral wealth.

In our avocations:

We note that the regulations within the mining sector have become practically untenable for smaller parties, who’s sole interests are divided between pursuing their efforts in this field in completely nondestructive ways, so as to be involved in the mining, prospecting, or fossicking for metallic substances, minerals, and gemstones.
Our major concern is centered around the facts that the current legislation does not provide for these lower risk activities, which we consider, are part and parcel of our pastime hobbies.
That said, it is our belief that that the current regulations and costs could be softened for those of us that participate in these activities.

In respect of the above submissions, it is also of increasing concern to us that the old “Miners Right” was removed from our environment, thereby making the searching for minor riches? extremely dubious to perform without falling foul of the laws current in the present mining act.

We see no light at the end of this tunnel, which has been effectively blocked to us, by a cave in of regulatory paperwork descending upon our heads, and blocking any way forwards in the pursuit of our explorations for those things which we value as our recreations.

These activities are an important part of our lives, as they were to those from the past, which ultimately will continue to be loved into the future, if these changes are made now to provide for such venues as those depicted above.

I remain in total respect of any decisions that you may deem to be practical to resolving this scratchy, “Thorn in our side” problem.

May I be permitted to make a “tongue in cheek” request:
We would be exceptionally grateful if you could see your way clear to reinstate the “Miners Right” privilege that previously existed in the past.

I thank you for taking the time to peruse this plea.

Yours most sincerely--- Colin. N. Atkinson.
============================================

FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES ONLY.
"Casual mining".

Recreational mining, is an overall term generally used to describe the activities undertaken by individuals using very different types of smaller mining equipments than those that bedeck large company sites.
It also has been referred to as “Recreational” mineral prospecting, gold panning/sluicing/gold dredging, or just, recreational prospecting.

“Recreation”, being defined as.
“The use of a persons leisure time for personal satisfaction and enjoyments, plus being good for their physical and mental health”.

Inherent in any search for valuable minerals, there is always the hope of “Striking it rich”, and this means that there could possibly be some economic benefits derived from recreational mining activities.
But unfortunately for those of our ilk, there are no concessions within the current mining act that even vaguely suggests that this result may be obtainable, without us falling foul of the laws that make it illegal to do so.

But ask those who enjoy recreational mining what their real motivation is, and very often most will answer “The thrill of the hunt”! or, “The sense of adventure”.
Recreational mining certainly differs from normal mining in one very important way, as professionals usually seek to obtain the exclusive rights to mineral deposits by staking “Mining claims”.

Recreationally minded persons on the other hand, generally desire areas with easy access, where they can go to search for valuable minerals.
Current mining licenses represent areas a recreational miner is presently excluded from, unless special permission is obtained.

We all understand why this is so, but find it harder to understand why this ruling should apply “Ad hoc” to “Exploration” license areas that cover immense areas of country and preclude us from fossicking upon it.

These minor activities are today acceptably called. “Fossicking” which can be defined as searching/collecting materials from the near surface by digging with “Hand tools”.
It may be essentially be termed “Scrounging” for gold, mainly by sifting through prospective areas of grounds, which may possibly be old and abandoned mining sites. And by reworking those old washings and waste piles of “Mullock” for the bits left behind when they were throw aside and abandoned by those miners as being un-payable.

Respectfully---Colin. N. Atkinson.

GlenMorgan  
Posted : Tuesday, 31 August 2010 2:02:14 PM(UTC)
GlenMorgan

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hello Colin,

Many thanks. One small spark at the start of the month and here we are now.

I have taken your direction on board and sent through my submission.

Thank you,
Glen.
criticol  
Posted : Tuesday, 31 August 2010 4:05:41 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hi Glen.

Thanks, for the thanks!

But I’m curious as to how you arrive at your comment of:
“One small spark at the start of the month and here we are now”.

To this, I make the following observation that, that, spark was kindled on this forum back in June this year by a post in the topic, “Seeking permission from land owners”
Which appears in the forum under, “LOCATIONS“.

To clarify: on 16/6/2010 a post appeared about a letter being sent to the PM, John Keys.
And on 5/7/2010 a “Reply” letter from the Minister of energy, Gerry Brownley, was also posted in the same forum topic.

There was also another relevant post made on 18/6/2010.

Cheers and regards---Colin.
gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 31 August 2010 4:54:59 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
A technicality that may be worth revising... "in river and lake beds and coastal marine areas" might need widening a bit when metal detectors are at play. Would be a shame to limit this low impact activity to such a narrow geographic area.

Thanks Colin for digging through the dry jargon and providing us with the highlights and some suggestions to use in our own submissions, and thanks to you too Glen for re-sparking interest and starting to contact MP's.

No-one's really shown much interest in an online petition - if a few more people make themselves heard I'll sort one (or two - in regard to Colin's comment) out. I'll look in to the data protection issues concern raised by Glen, but it would be easy to keep most of the data private online and pull out the full details only for submission to an MP.
criticol  
Posted : Wednesday, 1 September 2010 12:57:12 AM(UTC)
criticol

Hi Gavin.

Good on you for spotting what could be a problematical technicality.

I had considered this, but came to the conclusion that the wording of clause 5.1 could be construed to cover this concern by the use of the word “AND”.

I.E. “ It is proposed to remove the requirement to obtain a permit for non-mechanized gold activities (such as gold panning) and operations using low mechanization (where the machinery used does not exceed 5 horsepower)in river and lake beds and coastal marine areas“.

But your right, The wording of this phrase may be changed dramatically in the final draft. So It wouldn’t hurt to attempt to clarify the whole phrase by adding to it with something like: (such as gold panning), or the use of metal detectors over land areas that apply to the acts recommendations, and operations using low----------------------------.

Or, just try to get the words “(such as gold panning)” deleted from the phrase?

Just thinking!
Cheers---Colin.

criticol  
Posted : Wednesday, 1 September 2010 1:42:12 AM(UTC)
criticol

Shame to hear that interest seems to be lacking over this important chance we have to make a difference for all gold seekers, not just for ourselves.

But that’s life today, let the others do all the work, and then benefit from their laurels?

What a crap solution!
Even over in Australia there’s more interest being shown on their site/s like:
http://golddredgingforum.proboards.com

Maybe there will be enough added support from them to achieve some significant changes for the better,over those that now apply in the present CMA act.

Disappointment reigns supreme in my heart.
Why should I bother, I’m thinking!

Cheers and regards---Colin.

P.S. And Gavin, again I applaud your Tact!

GlenMorgan  
Posted : Wednesday, 1 September 2010 4:13:49 AM(UTC)
GlenMorgan

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hello,

I agree.

It takes very little effort to approach your local MP. Moreover, if they are National, you will find them quite interested in this. However, on a short political note ;) of either party Labour issued the greatest number of mining consents (so I am told). Go figure.

It is the collective knowledge of a forum that affords an opportunity to change things for the better. That said, it is the responsibility of the individual to review and act on the knowledge presented to them.

When I requested emails from people - I received but one. Granted the direction of RMA as apposed to CMA may have been a little off track. However, the process was to approach a representative of the government to gain direction and support. I feel that this has been achieved. Granted, the process is slow. However, the iron is HOT. Thanks to the diligence of others we are now able to offer our submissions at an opportune time.

Never rest on your laurels and think that it is someone else’s responsibility… it is yours and yours alone.

Glen

NB: if this post is off topic - Gavin - feel free to remove it ;)

criticol  
Posted : Wednesday, 1 September 2010 5:27:53 AM(UTC)
criticol

Hello Glen.

If your post is off topic, then so is mine.

So if yours gets binned, then I give permission for mine to follow suit!

I think that they coudn't be more on topic anyway!

Cheers,and thanks,---Colin.
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 1 September 2010 5:48:55 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Don't worry - I'm not in the habit of removing people's posts unless requested to do so or if they're obviously abusive / spam. It's not my forum, it's everyones ;)
nzgold  
Posted : Thursday, 2 September 2010 1:55:29 PM(UTC)
nzgold

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi guys, make sure that you get a submission thing in, it probably doesn't need to be anything fancy, just state your views, and make it short sharp and to the point. Yeah, I think that we need to mention metal detectors, as ost of the time these are goin to be used out of the riverbeds. Maybe we should get them to consider allowing the use of metal detectors on unclaimed land, with the permission of landowners?
Cheers :) and get those submissions in!!
Spread the word!
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 2 September 2010 3:25:16 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Hi nzgold
That is in the discussion paper ther talking of getting rid of the public fossicking areas all together so basically if thers no claim and you have the landowners consent you could procpect/fossick but 1 thing i would like to point out is that if you want to be all leagle beagle thers still the issue of consent from the local council,doc etc "tree huggers spring to mind!"and ther is mention of that in the discussion paper as well and that could be harder to get around than crown minerals....also i feel ther ther should be some sort of ticket or permit that give,s info as to what is or isnt claim,d as a lot of you may no thers the crown minerals web sight but if it was some how worked like a hunting permit would be great...say you wanted to go prospecting in otago or the west coast youd get a different permit for each region that gives you reasonably accurate info...
cheers all...gbm
roman holiday  
Posted : Sunday, 5 September 2010 1:07:38 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
criticol wrote:
"Hi" GBM.

I'd guess that "Non-mechanised", means just that? and encompasses the use of detectors too?

There certainly not "Mechanised", because I cant find a petrol filler cap on mine.

Cheers---Colin.

lol

But it runs of a battery right?

Just read your subsequent post:

Clause:5.1 Around a quarter of the minerals mining permits granted by Crown Minerals relate to small-scale operations,principally beach-sand gold and suction dredge operations. The scale of these activities means that any fees received are outweighed by the resources required to process and manage these permits. It is proposed to remove the requirement to obtain a permit for non-mechanized gold activities (such as gold panning) and operations using low mechanization (where the machinery used does not exceed 5 horsepower)in river and lake beds and coastal marine areas (save that such activities may only be carried out where there is no existing permit over the area).
As a result of this change,the provisions on gold fossicking areas would also be able to be repealed.

This looks like bloody good news for us fossickers!... grabs boots and does the goldminer's jig...

I'm looking to start my "Roman's most Excellent Fossicking Adventure" next March... starting in the Coromandel of course... before heading south... so this looks to be welcome news.

I'll sign any petition^^

Edited by user Sunday, 5 September 2010 1:28:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 5 September 2010 1:22:13 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

yes would be a big improvement so make shure you let them no what you want....also i was thinking....can you get 5h,p motors..? iv seen a few 5.5hp,s...im thinkn maybe it should be higher like 6.5 as i really havent heard much of a 5hp before...just seems like an uncommon number!.
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 5 September 2010 3:14:06 PM(UTC)
criticol

Wrong, Roman. : )

The battery runs the electronics, and so ultimately the detector.
No mechanics at all.

Cheers---Colin.
kiwisouth  
Posted : Sunday, 5 September 2010 5:33:55 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Gidday everyone
Been a while since I have managed to get on here, been reading a few of the posts at work during breaks to keep abreast of happenings but that is all.

My birthday today and my darling wife buys me a book I keep borrowing from thelibrary - Mike Johnston's Gold in a Tin Dish Vol Two, the History of the Eastern Marlborough Goldfields.
Yay. Just over the Wairau river from me. Just a shame that the alluvial gold areas are still cut off to the public due to logging. And it is still illegal.

This forum is helping correct this wrong. More people are breaking the law every weekend, by going out fossicking for gold with pan or detector, than ever before. Have you been on Trademe recently and seen how many detectors are for sale? Some look pretty crappy to me but I bet they are finding more coins and rings than me at the moment. Then there are the fine gentlemen who are providing us with cheap pans, suckers, sluiceboxes and all of the other bits and pieces.

I think one way people can look at the detector side of things if we can get the law changed is that quite often, unless you get a signal, you do not dig a hole. On the other hand, I have been to places where people have pretty much rearranged the run of a creek, dug into banks and tracks and left a blooooody mess. Time we cleaned up our act. One rule we have in the Te Tahi Dtector Club is "Fill your holes". We want good press, we don't want the greenies on our cases and tying us in with the large scale miners.

Yes I will be sending a submission through which will include detector use but I also think that we need to weed out those who do desecrate and despoil the land by making and leaving a mess when it is unnecessary.

Keep up the good work guys

Dave
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
3 Pages<123>