New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages<123
criticol  
Posted : Tuesday, 7 September 2010 5:05:16 PM(UTC)
criticol

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Cheering news Guys!

It seems that there is a ground swell reaction to the C.M.A. Review of some of the Mining laws (As they now apply to small scale mining practices in N.Z.) from our close cousins in Australia.

It appears that they are giving support to the cause, by putting in a few submissions to the CMA.

This gesture is most welcome.

Cheers---Colin.
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 8 September 2010 6:54:36 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
In case it's useful for anyone else wanting to help push through legislation changes as part of the CMA review to allow us hobbyists more freedom in where we fossick / prospect for gold please see my short, to the point submission below for ideas.

The more people that act (it's as simple as sending a short email!) the more likely we'll benefit from the review!

Review details: http://www.crownminerals.govt.nz/cms/news/2010/mineral-and-petroleum-permitting-review-begins

My submission...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Crown Minerals Act Review
Body:
To whom it may concern,

As a hobby gold fossicker / prospector who has very little impact on the environment with my hobby I would like to voice my support for the proposal of removing the requirement to obtain a permit for small-scale gold mining activities.

I also believe that consideration should be given to the use of hand held metal detectors in the search for gold, making sure that such a low impact activity is not unnecessarily confined to steams, rivers and coastal areas.

Running the New Zealand gold fossicking site www.paydirt.co.nz in my spare time, I can see that gold fossicking as a hobby is a fairly popular pass-time. Unfortunately many hobbyists may be potentially breaking the law unintentionally as their pass-time has not been taken in to consideration with the current legislation as it currently stands.

I look forward to the legislation being improved for us hobbyists.

Respectfully,

Gavin Harriss

[Contact details]

Edited by user Thursday, 9 September 2010 3:18:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Removed link to Gold Dredging Forum discussion as RKC has removed the link posted back to this one.

starflash  
Posted : Wednesday, 8 September 2010 3:56:54 PM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
In response to Gavin regarding permits, you supported this whole idea from the begining now you want to opt out of a permit?, as i said in one of my earlier replies, this whole idea you guys are pushing will not get you any added benefits, all its going to do is raise the awareness of gold fossickers to central and local politians. And theres one thing they know very well thats how to charge people for something they are doing already for free. And of course they love to issue fines for whom may not have a permit.

Name one benefit from this action Glen is pushing?

I will be highly pissed!!!!!!!!! if someone tries to charge me for doing what im doing already. Its not breaking the law if the law is not being policed? Not sure what age you guys are but when one gets a bit older you realise the less govt interference in things the better.

Edited by user Wednesday, 8 September 2010 3:59:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 9 September 2010 3:28:18 AM(UTC)
gavin

Hi starflash,

I'm all for being able to fossick in more areas without requiring a permit. I figured surely this must be a good thing? But I am pretty new to this pass-time so could be overlooking something? I like the idea of being able to go bush searching for gold without feeling like I could be getting myself in to trouble.

Perhaps you could suggest wording that would be more appropriate for a submission?

And everyone else - what are your thoughts on the matter? Am I pushing for something we don't want? If there's enough opposition I'll take off the call-for-action banner at the bottom of the site (those that haven't seen it yet may need to refresh the page from their browser).

I thought I was helping things along in our favour, but perhaps I'm wrong?
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 9 September 2010 6:25:15 AM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Hi starflash
who wants to wait another 20 years to have a bit of a say
obviously gerry is awear of prostectors/fossickers else he wouldnt have mentioned that in the disscussion paper which in it self is surprising.
if it came to "perhaps"a small fee for a rite/permit of some sort to get gold on any land thats not under a claim or with permition from the land owner shurely thats got to be an improvement?.and like youv said its not really policed at the moment so if you didnt want to go for a permit....dont!who no,s maybe they may work it so thers no permit at all you can just go...though im all for a permit or at least a current copy of crown minerals to make people awear of wear claims are as if i had prospectors dredging my patch well id be unhappy about that....as after all a 5hp motor will run a 4 inch dredge. maybe 1 day it will be policed i suspect if the price of gold keeps riseing therl be more people looking for the stuff which is someting to keep in mind.
on another breath i can see were your comeing from starflash as if a permit system came about then to a degree the goverment would have more controll over what go,s on....so you decide!!
starflash  
Posted : Thursday, 9 September 2010 7:03:29 AM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
yep fair call Gingerbreadman, however i just know if govt gets involved they will make a big deal out of it, people will gets jobs policing us etc etc. the permit wont be cheap either, all infrustructure would need to be set up, i reckon probably around $90 pa.

I hope you all know you can sell gold without a permit, all down the west coast gold shops will buy your gold without a permit.

Sorry for maybe goin off at the deep end but as you maybe able to tell i am anti govt involvment and regulation
criticol  
Posted : Thursday, 9 September 2010 9:56:27 AM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi Starflash.

Where are you coming from mate?

You slam Gavin for suggesting that the CMA remove the requirement for a permit
Then you praise Kiwisouth for the same Idea.
I don’t follow your reasoning at all,
But maybe that’s just me being picky. : )

Cheers--- Colin.
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 8 October 2010 12:38:02 PM(UTC)
gavin

Fingers crossed we made our voices heard. Today was the last day to get in our feedback. Would be nice to know we can legally fossick in more areas. I wonder how long before we find anything out / it moves on to the next phase?
Bikerman  
Posted : Sunday, 17 October 2010 4:33:58 PM(UTC)
Bikerman

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I fully understand what you guys are tryin to do, but I too have my doubts as what will end up as law....in the current climate we are in these days it will most likely mean more rules and regs and *shudder* cost to the end users...IE: US

I prefer to stay well under the radar of any Gov interference, the less they know what I'm doing with my spare time the better.....
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Monday, 18 October 2010 1:33:29 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Hi bikerman....who no,s aye you could be rite!!....i personally am not wanting any change now at first i thought it sound,d pretty good ya no wander around the show....bit of sluice boxing,detecting etc...but now it "may" come to swapping fossicking areas and a free for all but having no blacksand or dredging permits "small scale" issued again just because gerry isnt getting any$ out of it...well thats...shit!....id rather eather have it stay as it is or simpley take away the fossicking areas and open it up a bit but NOT take away the permits and i feel that any of you guys out ther should aim for the same thing as really do any of you fellas go out prospecting without the thought in the back of your mind that 1 day you mite find a big patch of gold...and it does happen!! and if 1day you do find it then what??...no more permits remember....id be interested on a bit of feed back on that do you really just go out to play in the river and listen to the birds and call it a great day or go out for that...but with more interest on finding gold...?
regards..gbm
Bikerman  
Posted : Monday, 18 October 2010 2:08:50 PM(UTC)
Bikerman

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Damnit Gbm....wished I'd known someone else in Southland to yarn too while I'd been digging around down there....I've found more Gold in Southland than I have since I've been up here in Alexandra....
Um btw, chatted to a couple of guys at the Shingle Creek Pub, apearantly they are starting up a Gold Fossiking club for all Of Central Otago
3 Pages<123