New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages123>
GlenMorgan  
Posted : Monday, 9 August 2010 3:49:38 AM(UTC)
GlenMorgan

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hello,

This area is dedicated to seeking repeal to the 1991 RMA act which took away the Miners Right. I believe the first Miners Right was issued in Otago in 1858. Miners had to get a licence – a ‘right’ – from the authorities. This miner’s right (below) was issued to William Rocheford on 14 February 1863. Valid for a year, it gave him the right to mine on the Mt Benger field (the Roxburgh district).

Victoria, Australia; an individual can purchase a Miners Right that grants them access to National Parks and private land (with owners permission). The term used is Prospector. I see the term 'fossicking' as the wrong term for what most of us do. Most of us do not seek to dig bloody great holes in the earth. In addition, most of us are diligent prospectors who when we dig a hole fill it back in. Moreover, we also assist by removing any 'junk' which is dug up e.g. bullets, lead pellets, iron rubbish etc.

I am confident that an equitable and just compromise can be met which grants New Zealander's fair access.

If you support this please, start a discussion and fill us in on any knowledge you may have.
Thank you,
Glen.

Edited by user Monday, 9 August 2010 12:11:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GlenMorgan attached the following image(s):
miners right.jpg
1st miners right.jpg
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 9 August 2010 4:13:27 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Thanks for that Glen - awesome idea! I'm willing to facilitate any appeal in any way I can e.g. set up an online petition on paydirt to gather signatures and details to pass on to the powers that be, but not knowing enough about the laws involved have been reluctant to head-up anything myself directly.

So what's everyone else think? Worth getting an online petition going, then someone with the right knowledge taking the petition to the next stage - present it to the politicians?
1864hatter  
Posted : Monday, 9 August 2010 6:26:28 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
I belive this to be a very worthy cause and will sign any petion to this effect. The removal of the lead and mercury is greatly beneficial to the waterways, whilst we do cause minor disturbances to the rivers banks this is a microscopic impact when compared to a decent flood. Some activities, such as dredging, can have some impact on fish spawning grounds but this impact has been eliminated overseas by having a dredging "Season".

I think that most of the modern laws around gold mining/prospecting are aimed at controlling large scale opereations which definetly need to be moderated. Sadly the humble man with a dish has been overlooked somewhat and while public fossicking areas do to some degree provide for him they are usualy quite hard hit and most of the gold has been removed.

So.... Basically yea a petition sounds good if we can get a reasonable number of people to sign it.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
GlenMorgan  
Posted : Monday, 9 August 2010 6:32:56 AM(UTC)
GlenMorgan

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

I have an email from my local MP who has requested a meeting around this subject. Will keep you all posted.

Thank you,
Glen.
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 9 August 2010 9:22:42 AM(UTC)
gavin

Does anyone know what sort of information would need to be captured to make a useful online petition?

I'd guess: Name, Address, Email, IP Address (IP address would be used to prove all "signatures" came from different places)

Only the list of names would be shown online to people viewing the petition but the other details would be included in the finally printed petition to hand over to the MP.

If this sounds useful(?) I'll put up a page to capture these petition "signatures" online.
GlenMorgan  
Posted : Monday, 9 August 2010 11:57:43 AM(UTC)
GlenMorgan

Man
New Zealand

Hello, the first meeting is Monday August 30th at 10.30am. We have a couple of weeks to gather details.

Thank you,
Glen.

In the meantime look over these:
http://new.dpi.vic.gov.a...ospecting-and-fossicking

http://www.pmav.org.au/

I will draw information from these sources for the meeting.

Edited by user Monday, 9 August 2010 4:30:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

criticol  
Posted : Wednesday, 11 August 2010 2:40:38 AM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi Glen.

My hats off to you, if you can succeed in getting that part of the Mining act repealed which took away the “Miners Right” years ago.
I’m certainly all for getting it reinstated in “All” its previous glory, (if possible), because I could then stake out a little “Mining claim” over an area without the hassle and expense of applying for a full scale Mining license if I should happen to make a small find of gold somewhere.
Getting this right granted back to us would certainly be a feather in anybody’s cap!
“Good luck” to you if you can pull this curly one off!

It seems that the Forum has found its “Champion” to carry our concerns to the government.

Cheers and Regards---Colin.
kiwisouth  
Posted : Thursday, 12 August 2010 7:26:51 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Awesomely awesome in your awesomeness Glen. My hat off to you too. I am old enough to remember Prospector's Rights, especially when "user pays" came in. Overnight, the Rights went from $8 a year to $80.

I am all for a petition or "expressions of interest". Internet gathering though, you have to be careful of the Privacy Laws - type of info gathered, how and where it is stored and who has access to the raw data. Our MP is Colin King, an original "man of the land" competed in Golden Shears I think. I might have to send him an email too
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
GlenMorgan  
Posted : Monday, 16 August 2010 9:25:54 AM(UTC)
GlenMorgan

Man
New Zealand

Very good to hear, get Colin talking with Chester, two heads etc... Not long to go now. A show of hands would be nice. Pop me an email with words to the effect that you support reinstatement of the Miner Right. I will take these to the first meeting and see where that leads.

Ideas for wording – please add or suggest alternatives – then agree -I will collate the emails.

To the Minister of Crown Minerals,

I (your name) of (city) request the Government of New Zealand reinstates the Miners Right granting fair access to prospect for minerals without fear of prosecution.

Signed
(your name)

Fell free to correct me on my wording etc.

Get the ball rolling, an expression of ineterst.
Glen.
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 16 August 2010 9:51:03 AM(UTC)
gavin

Nice one Glen, just sent my email to you - hopefully you'll get a lot more!
starflash  
Posted : Monday, 16 August 2010 2:24:11 PM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
what a great idea, works well in aus, however as i have found out in the past with dicussions with foriegn permit holders it will still not allow you to prospect over land all ready covered by an exploration permit. The miners right may grant permission to fossick over public land that isnt all ready covered by an exploration permit but the crown minerals site suggests that land may be very difficult to find. I will lend my support to anything put up, however i am a sinic and this may just attract govt fees and unwanted attention to fossickers that isnt there at the moment
criticol  
Posted : Monday, 16 August 2010 3:11:46 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hi Glen.
? Are these submitted emails only going to be used as ammunition in your meeting with your local member? Or will they eventually be forwarded to Gerry Brownley as per?

Starflash, puts forward a couple of valid points, that should deserve careful consideration before proceeding down any path that may be decided.

There’s an old saying, that “If you go off halfcocked, you may not deliver a successful shot”
The reference being, that as we are only going to get the one shot at this daunting task, then we have to make it a good one.

Cheers---Colin.

P.S. Who the hells “CHESTER”?

starflash  
Posted : Thursday, 19 August 2010 5:00:20 AM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Hi Glen

yep "Criticol" is right about research reseach and more research on the topic before making an approach to a bloody politician. Note if this was to take place it would require a complete overhall of the minerals licenceing and permitting of claims.

How many times have you been stopped by a doc, council or worse a rep for a mining company? i never have, i know of someone who got there noisey 6hp dredge taken from them but he was in a very public place.

The point i'm getting at is most of us hunt gold for a hobby, we go wherever we want and keep our heads down and we dont get bothered by anyone. and you still wont be able to stake a claim if you so happen to come over a virgin patch that may sustain a prelonged period of mining. I have approached aus gold and glass earth who have flatly refused to allow me to fossick over land they have permitts to, which is basically all of otago and beyond.

I say carry on what your doing incognito, and if someone does try to stop you and confiscate your gear? leg it!

Edited by user Thursday, 19 August 2010 5:01:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 22 August 2010 5:33:04 PM(UTC)
gavin

Hi starflash,

I've not heard any stories directly of people getting nabbed, but have come across a few articles online. Not sure how common this sort of thing is though - hopefully rare(!?) as not come across too many reports ...

MOUNTAIN SCENE - THURSDAY, APRIL 15 - WEDNESDAY, APRIL 21, 1993 'STALKED'

Sir, I note that in recent Queenstown police reports, no mention has been made of the local police making history in the Wakatipu a few weeks ago.

I refer to police riding shot-gun in a helicopter hired by Otago Regional Council and their over zealous field officer, searching many small rivers and streams for recreational or hobby miners like myself, or holidaymakers, retired pensioners and a few blokes who have not got a job and are not on the dole.

It must have been very exciting and a big challenge for them, especially when they could only catch a chap who has made the Eight Mile hut his home for the last few summers, and a couple from Invercargill who were having a well-earned break from their jobs back home, using a (2 inch) dredge.

What an insult to our pionering families who came here to search for the elusive gold. They set up our towns, the roads, planted trees and made this an area we are so proud to be part of, especially the gold mining history.

I know we have not got mining licences because there is no such thing for nomadic small dredge goldminers, maybe we have not got a water right, but nobody has been caught mining other people's claims.

I am sure the ORC and Queenstown-Lakes District Council could join the hobby goldminers and sort this mess out without police protection.

So please ORC and other departments get off our backs till you come up with something constructive. We older gold fossickers do not appreciate being stalked by helicopter carrying rangers who need police protection.

Good hunting to both ORC and all my dredging friends. One that got away.

Queenstown

Article pulled in using Online OCR from Article Image.

And another that wasn't successful with OCR process, but from the Greymouth Star in 2007 - Article Image.

EDIT - Links to 2 photos of articles in papers removed as RKC wasn't pleased with the site linking to them.

Edited by user Tuesday, 24 August 2010 6:39:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Robert requested links to his photos to be removed.

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Friday, 27 August 2010 3:08:04 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Hi guys Gerry is looking to streamline,update and future proof the CMA.
www.med.govt.nz/CMAReview
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 29 August 2010 9:19:41 AM(UTC)
gavin

Hi Glen,

Did you get much support from other members of the forums? Any developments?

Cheers,
Gavin
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 29 August 2010 3:15:00 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Hi guys has any1 had a read through the discussion paper of the CMA...? ther,s a lot of reading in ther 46 pages in the "discussion Paper" and 40 "Submission questions" iv printed them all off to get a decent read iv only had a quick flick through it at this stage i did find a couple of interesting bits though (page 8... 4.5 b and c)"streamlining and simplification" and again on (page 19... 5.1 5.2 5.3) "small-scale gold activities"....if you havent had look its probly worth doing so.
cheers.
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 29 August 2010 4:55:50 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hi ALL.

Is some clarification needed here?

The CMA (Crown minerals Act) and the RMA (Resource management Act) both came into effect on 1 October 1991.

The “CMA” enables the allocation and management of the rights, to prospect, explore or mine minerals that are owned by the Crown
(both on/under Crown land and private land). This process is carried out by the issuing of permits under the CMA.
Note that the CMA only covers minerals owned by the Crown.
Minerals not owned by the Crown are not subject to the CMA.

The “RMA” provides for:
The development of minerals programs, and also the setting out the policies for the
allocation of Crown-owned mineral resources like, district plans, resource consents, environmental effects,etc. This means that anything to do with the environment are dealt with under the Resource Management Act
The RMA Ministry also advises and assists the Minister for the Environment with their responsibilities under the RMA. These include, requests for ministerial intervention, and also applications for water conservation orders, and heritage protection authorities.
I.E. they look after the Crowns interests.

Cheers---Colin.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 29 August 2010 5:34:10 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Hi criticol i think ina nut shell what you have written ther all comes under the CMA.
If you go to page 13 it states The cma & rma act were created for the manageement of the reasources in n.z & "separate" the allocation of of resources from "managing" the effects of ther extraction...which is pretty much were the rma comes in and can be a real problum when getting reasorse consent as each region: otag,west coast,southland etc all have diffrent rules.also the rma regulates most of the enviromentle effects of the minerals activities.
cma allocates rites to prospect & mine crown minerals....
regards gbm.
GlenMorgan  
Posted : Monday, 30 August 2010 1:28:19 PM(UTC)
GlenMorgan

Man
New Zealand

Hello,

Today's meeting was short but productive. It is good to see a wealth of knowledge come forward from people around the CMA and RMA.

I would ask that you approach your local MP and put forward your case. Request that your local MP forward your case to the minister in charge. I understand that Nick Smith is in the process of reviewing the RMA, this may also cover the CMA. If you approach as I have, eventually we will find the correct person and path to address the issue.

I passed on a copy of my Victoria/ AUS prospectors license and the associated legislation around the license.

I expecting a letter to be sent to Nick Smith and in due course to receive a reply. The reply may provide more information on what direction we must head, or it may provide information on what is under review, that we will have to wait and see.

Thank you,
Glen.

Edited by user Monday, 30 August 2010 1:29:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

3 Pages123>