New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 2 April 2010 10:44:52 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi there, Here are some pics of a little sluice I made for back packing into remote places. 32" long X 9" wide 3" high. Works fine just like that but I have made another section the same length that will fit inside this so takes up no more space in the pack, but I can slide it out, bolt it in place & I can almost double the length of the box.

UserPostedImage

Here it is in the back pack, only this has now been adapted to take a 3" suction nozzle on a very short length of suction hose. You will see the orange thing sticking out of the pack as well, this is an old road works cone that I have made into a flare that bolts onto the front of the sluice box complete with a dampner on it. So a mini 3" suction nozzle set up that runs off a little 2.5 hp 2 stroke that is also in the pack.

UserPostedImage

These are all the items that fit in my pack. Motor/pump, Crevicing tools, 20X Magnifying glass, Little shovel, prying bar, Hand trowels, Crevice sucker, sluice box, flare, petol bottle, under water viewfinder, gold pan, snuffer bottle, scrubbing brush, nosey parker crevice tip that can be sliped onto the suction nozzle end, smoko bag which apart from food has in it a little camp cooker for boiling water & heating or cooking tucker, In the bucket are spare nuts & bolts, Roll up pressure hose, screwdrivers, hose clamps, duct tape & that sort of stuff. I can carry all this in one go & with the short suction hose works great.

UserPostedImage

Here we have the flare attached with the dampner folded up & over the flare so you can see into it. The two bolts sticking up are for holding the classifyer screen that goes down to just before the first riffle.

UserPostedImage

Bit of a side view with the dampner down in place.

UserPostedImage

With hose & nozzle attached

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Happy golding

JW

pogobull  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 April 2010 5:22:39 AM(UTC)
pogobull

hey.
sweet set up KIWIJW. just a quick question to all, am lookin at doin away with my gold detector due to the fact that im havin more luck with a sluice box.
am bout to make a highbanker sluice running a 2hp pump, anyone have an idea on what are the rules/law in regard to motorised eqipment in a public fossicking area. im thinking maybe none due to all i will be doin is pumping water .every thing else is still hard labour.
have checked out crownminerals website.
all i seem to come across is large scale mining and prospecting permits?????????
your thoughts would be much appreciated.
regards
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 April 2010 7:01:21 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
I believe all the public gold fossicking spots are owned by DOC and usually have signs up saying you can use non-motorised equipment only.

Probably best to ask DOC though.
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 April 2010 7:46:43 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
I just found these general policies on DOC's website...

1. Recreational gold fossicking may only take place within areas that are designated as recreational gold fossicking areas.

2. Mining methods in recreational gold fossicking areas will be restricted to hand-held non-motorised operations (i.e. searching for and collecting materials from the surface or digging by hand).

I've also seen signs at these locations limiting the size of the sluice box you can use. Bugga. Not sure how strict they are though as I think mine's not quite the right dimensions for DOC. I wonder what powers they have if caught?

I'll see if I can dig out a photo of one of these signs later as I remember taking a piccy for reference some time agao.
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 April 2010 12:02:07 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi Guys, Yes the "legal" size for a sluice box in a DOC managed recreational area is 1 meter long by 200mm wide.
Gavin.....you will know that my boxs are 230mm wide but only 800mm long....so you can argue that the square meterage is still less than a 1m X 200mm box. But if you add on a flare that I am now makimg for my boxs then you will be over the size. But then that said, it isnt by much & how hard do they police it??
MOTORISED gear is a NO NO though. You use it at your own risk & the problem is there are people out there who WILL dob you in. If using a motor/pump, & yes I am guilty of this. Use your head & dont do it in an area where you are going to be seen or heard or really piss some one off. That can be pretty difficult but commen sense will guide you. Just make sure you arent on any ones claimed or permitted ground. That is most important.
There are no recreational areas in the north island but where I go up the Coromandel I never see any one up there. That is how remote & difficult the access is but that is a bonus in more ways than one. Less flogged for gold & a motor/pump isnt a problem. YET any way.

Happy hunting

JW
pogobull  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 April 2010 1:52:13 PM(UTC)
pogobull

hey.
thank you for your info guyz.yeah ya rite bout the legal size of sluice box,,, oop's gone all summer with a little over with my sluice. as for useing a 1.5hp motor to pump water to a highbanker sluice,am currently in the system at the moment
waitin for a permit for an area north of springs junction.
soooo much to go threw inregard to applying almost want to give up and stick to the pan.
but hey , havin alot of success and fun with my sluice , but hard work gotta dig deep but the reward is there.
any how will keep ya posted on the permit process.
thanks and happy prospecting
x-terra steve  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 April 2010 4:56:50 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Hi all,

Good sound info JW,

Did you manage to try your Gold Master out?.

In reguard to motorised gear in a DOC area, these are the words of a DOC worker when I asked him the question on this matter,

First offence, Formal warning, and on there black list ( ok that not so bad,is it??).

Secound offence, Fine of up to $1,000 ( emm, ok now they have got my attenion).

Third offence (by this time they are really pissed) confiscation of all affending gear including your mode of transport to the river, (some real fast talking to the wife required, im sure I locked the car!).

A date in the court house to be given a large fine and depending on the severity of the offence a real good chance to check out the local slammer.

The same goes if you are caught detecting outside the active river bed, although I dont know any one that has been locked up for a detecting offence!.

My view is if you want to use small motorised gear and have some fun you best stay out of DOC Assigned areas,there are plenty of lasped claims ect that could be checked out.

Hope some of this is usefull,

Happy Hunting

Steve
kiwisouth  
Posted : Saturday, 17 April 2010 7:43:18 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
One other problem you have with using detectors is the Historic Place Act. Anything over 100 years old, it is deemed a Historic Place and you have to be very careful about where you dig. Case in point, I was invited to detect on someones private land out at Greendale, out of Christchurch. There used to be a blacksmith shop there as well as one of the original homes in the district. Then I found out that even the landowners can't give permission for someone to detect and dig on their own land. Have to get the Historic Society involved who invariably say........."No" Same with the old gold areas around Marlborough. We are not allowed to detect where I would really like to go and that is where the old towns, mines and batteries sat. Someone daown south was taken to court. He was a bottle collector.

Be careful out there people. I think we can't go wrong just scratching around. Remember. ignorance is not a defence.

Painfully yours

David
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 19 April 2010 10:51:20 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi Guys, Oppppsssss......then I shouldnt have detected here then. Wont say where it was now. I knew better but the devil made me do it.....

UserPostedImage

Found this:

UserPostedImage

& this: 1884 one penny

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

JW
kiwisouth  
Posted : Monday, 19 April 2010 5:23:13 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Awesome finds. Sometimes I think that because we don't have a lot of history compared to some countries, the powers that be want to protect what we do have. Me, I want to check out some of the old whaling stations, the site of the Wairau "Affray". Was a massacre when I was growing up. An affray sounds so much more PC.

The detector Club I belong to is always doing things in Auckland with the OK of different authorities and have dug around the grounds of some schools that were celebrating centennials etc and they made presentations of their finds in quite neat display cases. They have been pretty good around where the Yanks were during WW2. But what they always say, "fill up your holes". Keeps things nice and tidy and keeps people off our backs.

There are so many areas I would like to check out but have to careful where I go. The beaches here are pretty poor pickings compared to other places but I'll keep trying.

Yes I'm prattling on again, but as I've said before, it's great to have a NZ site. Keep digging, scraping, sucking (excuse the terminology) and scratching boys. Gold is where gold is. Or something like that.

David
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 April 2010 5:44:56 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

G'day Kiwisouth, Crickey.....you prattle on....whatabout me LOL :) :)
I tell you what. If I hadnt dug those things up....how long do you think it would be before they totaly rotted away....& then what bloody use are they???? You wouldnt even know where I had been after I had back filled & covered my tracks. They were buried in the ground. it isnt like I am smashing down the stone work or anything. Not like some wankers have done to the old Otago Hotel ruins up at Skippers. Or this old wooden building up at Macetown that some f%&kwit tourists camped in for a night & lit a fire in it & burnt the whole bloody thing down. It is just a pile of ash....well no it isnt even that now. Bloody discraceful. Doc are spewing & for once I agree with them. It is the top photo. Now no longer with us & the sad part is that its history isnt evem known. It was the last remamining timber dwelling left that wasnt scavanged for material over the years. What a sad wasteful end.

UserPostedImage

JW :)
overdog  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 April 2010 7:18:31 PM(UTC)
overdog

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Bloody hell they can actually confiscate your motor and send you to JAIL? And I thought the equivalent of DOC back in the UK was bad... sheesh!
nathanial  
Posted : Tuesday, 22 February 2011 2:06:29 AM(UTC)
nathanial

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I went to jones creek doc area years ago there was a sign restricting the size of sluice you could use there, I didn't remember seeing this information on the crown minerals website, so
i gave them a call, it seems doc and crown minerals who actually set these public areas up are not on the same page, crown minerals said there was no restriction on size of sluice, just that it was none motorized and hand held. Anyway take it for what it is.

Nathanial