New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

4 Pages123>»
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Friday, 27 April 2012 1:42:05 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Hi guys,
I am proud to announce that i have registered www.metaldetecting.co.nz and currently designing the website !
I was really surprised that the Domain was available!
100% Hosted NZ, so all google searches for NZ will bring details on a first Page! :-)

If Gavin doesnt mind, i will Link current forum to website.

-I will position website similar to ringfinders, so will include all metal detecting services across NZ(I do not see any point in paying someone in united states to be listed as ringfinder for NZ. when people looking for service in NZ )
-All dealers : Rob (puiakisupply.co.nz) , Dave (Blaxall & Steven Distributors Limited) and other metal detecting sales can have ads on the website :-)
- I am planning to write to NZ police to offer services across NZ (i bet you will be interested in searching for those fired bullets or hidden Knifes in a park :-)

At the moment i will be happy to hear any comment on what YOU, as a community want to see on the website.
Any comments are welcome
Any one suggestions....

Also if anyone is really good with Website design and has Dreamweaver skills - i am very very VERY happy to be helped with design :-)

Edited by user Friday, 27 April 2012 1:44:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
expat  
Posted : Friday, 27 April 2012 2:14:42 PM(UTC)
expat

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Sounds a good idea DB.

I spent nearly all my life in the UK and was a member of a MD club there. We offered our services out too, but never considered the police. Perhaps we should have. Interesting thought. Our services were mainly used by either Insurances companies (wanting a final shot at finding an expensive lost ring before paying out) or the archaeological profession (who looked down their noses at us but acknowledged our superior skills with a detector). A few club get togethers revolved around these hunts.

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
Foiled again  
Posted : Friday, 27 April 2012 3:02:51 PM(UTC)
Foiled again

Man

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 192 post(s)
Great idea, well done on making it happen! And how about the luck with the name!!
There's another to find and I'm gunna find it!
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 27 April 2012 6:23:14 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DrunkBrother Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys,
I am proud to announce that i have registered www.metaldetecting.co.nz and currently designing the website !
100% Hosted NZ, so all google searches for NZ will bring details on a first Page! :-)

You bet me to it, was thinking of spinning off another website to keep the gold and detecting stuff separate so there was a pure detecting forum but was the same old trying-to-find-the-time problem. My true passion is more on the gold side of things so no worries about linking to your website from these forums ;)
Littlespec  
Posted : Friday, 27 April 2012 8:03:38 PM(UTC)
Littlespec

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
What a brillant idea, cant wait to view.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 27 April 2012 8:06:27 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gavin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DrunkBrother Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys,

You bet me to it, was thinking of spinning off another website to keep the gold and detecting stuff separate so there was a pure detecting forum but was the same old trying-to-find-the-time problem. My true passion is more on the gold side of things so no worries about linking to your website from these forums ;)

Hey Gavin - you have a great website - I dont really go coin hunting or looking at the beach or playgrounds anymore as I am Gold only but I absolutely love reading what Shane and Chris and Co have discovered and got a real kick out of seeing treasures that other guys have found and which I would have gone gaa gaa over such as the Crimean medal and the Boer War medal.

I think that a Gold mining only site would be totally boring and a bit of everything is just great just as a metal detecting only site would be boring - I do however like Drunkbrothers idea but would prefer to see it as part of this site. I see it as taking the metal detectorists from here and halving the total effectiveness of the site and to me there is already a need for more members contributing and not less... just my thoughts.

Because I am more or less happily ensconced here I wouldnt join another site as it would just be repeating itself.
The US 'Treasurenet' site sort of covers everything and I saw this site (New Zealand Gold Mining Forums) as the Kiwi equivalent of the Australian magazine 'Gold, Gem and Treasure.' - the coin and treasure detectorists didnt hijack it or anything - they just added another dimension which actually enhances the site by bringing in more members and more contributions.

The fact is that nearly everyone on this site is actually a metal detector gold hunter - I now know many people on this site personally and all without exception own metal detectors...the only discrepancy is that some are coin and treasure and some are gold but ALL would go Gold hunting if they were in an area where there was gold.

Edited by user Friday, 27 April 2012 9:05:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Friday, 27 April 2012 8:47:00 PM(UTC)
gavin

Fair enough, must admit I like seeing what people dig up too :)

Edited by user Saturday, 28 April 2012 11:58:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mineforgold.co.nz  
Posted : Friday, 27 April 2012 9:07:42 PM(UTC)
mineforgold.co.nz

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Yeah I was wondering if the local police use detectors myself as drove past earlier this week. I have a mate in the local cop shop and was going to ask him next time I ran him over.

I would recommend you don't use an html site but run with Wordpress if you don't have particular webdesign skills. You can make them do pretty much anything with the right plugins these days - and the search engines like them.
I can help you with it if you like.

Own: Lobo SuperTraq, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Excalibur
Hunter  
Posted : Friday, 27 April 2012 9:41:50 PM(UTC)
Hunter

Man

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Sweet I will become a member
*2014*
Rings PLT/PLA=0 GOLD=5 STG=18 Junk=4
Other Gold items- 4
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Friday, 27 April 2012 9:55:13 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
i will still be a part of this site..i love this site and read alot of the gold stuff to...but i will also join the other site..just means posting twice hich i dont mind doing at all..lol
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Friday, 27 April 2012 11:06:07 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Evening everyone :-)

Lammerlaw,
No no i am not trying to move anyone from here, I will be linking website to this forum, as there is no point to create another forum, while we have an active one

Gavin,
i think it could be good(only my personal idea)to rename part of the forum from "Other Treasures" to Metel detecting finds. or similar so if visitors to www.metaldetecting.co.nz want to have a look at people finds - they can register on the forum , and make the registration COMPULSARY foreither for the whole forum or just that block, so we would not have "SHADDOWS" anymore .

mineforgold.co.nz,
i just created simple page. while choosing what to use for designing propper website. I've downloaded wordpress and uploaded files to Host , but havent set up anything properly yet., and yes any help willl be great, but for now i will read manuals :-)

Hunter,
the only membership for website will be for people who would like to be contacted for service. similar to ringfinders.

nzpoohbear40,
No double posting :-) Forum posting will be here. The only postings to website will be when someone Helps to locate lost items ,
I will be collecting story and photo and then uploading in a special part of the website (once designed). so once you help someone to locate ring, or keys, or any other way of utilazing MD skills - write a story. make a photo with a person and i will upload.

*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 28 April 2012 12:43:47 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Drunkbrother - All good and I am not opposed to it. I am one of these people who believe in total loyalty to something so I support Gavins forum 100% but after reading above I can see the value in what you are trying to do so hope it succeeds as there is the possibility that it could supplement this forum and they could work together to the benefit of both.
Shelia  
Posted : Saturday, 28 April 2012 8:35:44 AM(UTC)
Shelia

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Another site for the detectors would be good for those of us like myself who haven't quite bought a detector and are more interested in discussion on gold locations, hints & equipment.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 28 April 2012 9:54:46 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: Shelia Go to Quoted Post
Another site for the detectors would be good for those of us like myself who haven't quite bought a detector and are more interested in discussion on gold locations, hints & equipment.

Doesnt that defeat the purpose of this site or rather what this site has become as it has successfully integrated what you suggest into these forums?
You say '...are more interested in discussion on gold locations, hints & equipment.'

To me that seems inane when the purpose of this site is to have 'discussions on gold locations. hints and equipment!' - Why is a metal detector forum better for the objectives above and especially considering that Gavin has incorporated the Gold licence maps for everyone at considerable time and effort.

What you suggest unfairly takes from a great site a good deal of its objectives - I for one learnt a long long time ago that by dividing anything the effectiveness of the combined unit is effectively halved.

I thought this site was for those more interested in Gold locations and not only that but there is some excellent advice here on Metal detectors that CANNOT be beaten on another site considering that some of the most effective metal detector users are those who target gold only and have to deal with all the other rubbish and blacksands that the detector responds to.

Gavin has the site divided into categories and there is absolutely nothing that a detector only site would cover that this one doesnt surely? I see no point in dividing this site which it could effectively do and if your suggestions were put into action would take away some of its primary objectives.

Now bugger everyone - I am going gold mining for the day...Happy Saturday folks - yippee, river here I come...six grammes with detector last Wednesday so what is there today?

Edited by user Saturday, 28 April 2012 10:02:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

simon  
Posted : Saturday, 28 April 2012 10:16:28 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
i for one think this site is ok as it is.

the problem is new zealand is a small place. divide things more and numbers get even smaller.

i think it would be more appropriate to rename this site as some sort of detector site. although it would be easier to simply stick with what it is. a gold site.

i know this doesn't fit the beach/park detector set but surely at the end of the day everyone is digging for gold objects or dreaming of it.

then calling it a detector site isolates those dredging, sluicing etc.

maybe something along the lines of diggers, finders etc would suit.

i'm sure gavin is busy enough to not alter what is successful already though so i guess it is his call.

if a new site opened i would probably stick to this one to be truthful.

the only thing i would change is bringing the recent contributions to the front, as opposed to the current way of having to scroll through the older ones first.

as per lammerlaw i am off into the sun to prospect. doubtful if i will find half of what lammerlaw will find today but you never know. currently working an already worked spot (rush and depression miners) and getting little, although every now and then there's a good reward. no one gets everything i have found.
tonznz  
Posted : Saturday, 28 April 2012 10:32:18 AM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Hi all. I like this site. Though I hunt mainly for relics and coins I love reading about the gold. I read everything! And I will hunt for gold in my backyard Central Otago once I organise a decent gold detector! NZ is a small place. I don't understand the mechanics of how the two sites will link but I will want to stick to this site, unless Gavin kicks us out I guess!
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 28 April 2012 10:37:38 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Simon - sometimes I get nothing! You are welcome to come meet me and join me at my place any time you like -probably better when winters over but welcome none the less.

Tonznz - I have a Minelab Xtreme and have thrown it in the corner - I am finding enough to keep me happy with the Goldbug...in my humble opinion a Goldbug is a good thing to have. You know me well enough if you havent as yet cottoned on and you are welcome to come and try mine out any time you want to come and can find time to get your head,,,Oops detector out of the sand of the beach.
simon  
Posted : Saturday, 28 April 2012 11:08:32 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
lammerlaw,

i would love to take you up on the offer of visiting your place. it sounds like it has a good history. i feel like i have gotten to know it via your postings. above all your postings about your place have gotten be interested in all the lesser known diggings all over central and the wakatip.

it might indeed have to wait til after winter though. i have done about 7 or 8 trips over to dunedin this year and travelled most ways possible (still have to do the original route - dunstan trail). did middlemarch way for the first time. not sure why i never went that way before as its stunning and no one is around.

it's not as cold around here as it would usually be but that can change pretty quick. i see a bit of fresh snow on the peaks around here this morning. trying hard to get the courage to get out to the river. not looking forward to getting in. that's the hard part at this time of year. not so bad once you get busy and are in. well, i better get out there. trying to make a day of it. such a nice day i'm sure i will see people out there today.
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 28 April 2012 11:31:24 AM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: tonznz Go to Quoted Post
Hi all. I like this site. Though I hunt mainly for relics and coins I love reading about the gold. I read everything! And I will hunt for gold in my backyard Central Otago once I organise a decent gold detector! NZ is a small place. I don't understand the mechanics of how the two sites will link but I will want to stick to this site, unless Gavin kicks us out I guess!

Don't worry, I won't be kicking anyone off. I'll give the site structure a bit more thought though and see if I can make it a bit more friendly to all tastes. Originally the site was just for gold but it seems to have evolved a bit. I've been planning on giving the site an overhaul for a while now so I'll give the forum sections some good thought and ask the community what they'd like to see once I get nearer the time ;)

Edited by user Saturday, 28 April 2012 3:51:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 28 April 2012 1:25:22 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
DB. Fantastic idea Drunkbrother. Best of luck and hope all goes well.

Gavin. Split the forum, nah. The GOLDheads and detectorheads blend in quite well i see. The two go hand in hand. Its not ideal if your just into GOLD, but it works. To split things now i feel would lesson the forums input, possibly dramatically. I dont want to go to another site, i like it here.
I do feel that the ''last 5 posts'' block, could possibly upset GOLDheads when all it says some days is other treasures x 5. Just a thought as i can relate this to past comments. Maybe other treasures should have a 5 last posts of its own. Just a thought.
Great site, a little adjusting for detectorists as you say if so. Be proud.

Shane

Edited by user Saturday, 28 April 2012 1:29:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
4 Pages123>»