New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages123>
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 8 June 2012 11:48:21 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi all,

I think it's time I / we gave the forum sections some thought. To me it's clear we probably need a dedicated non-gold detecting area at the very least. I'm also wondering about potential other areas e.g. gems / semi-precious stones / rock hounds to widen the scope a bit ("other treasures" may suffice if there's not enough dedicated interest).

I'd still like the main focus to be gold but it's clear we have numerous people making up our friendly little community who have interests that are not exclusive to gold, the most obvious being coin and relic detecting.

Please also sing up if you think some of the existing sections could be dropped, merged together, renamed, etc.

A few potential forum sections just to get the ball rolling:

Metal Detecting - Gold
Metal Detecting - Coin & Relic Hunting

Dredging (under the gold section if enough people here dredge, or maybe to attract new users)
Overseas Locations (under gold section)

Metal Detecting could have it's whole own section with such things as:
Locations
Tips 'n' Tricks
Makes and Models
etc.
(not thought this out too deeply yet so please give me some input here detectorists!)

Please be forthcoming with your views and opinions!!

Cheers,
Gavin
Ash_T  
Posted : Friday, 8 June 2012 1:00:35 PM(UTC)
Ash_T

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I like the ideas, and if you took something like http://kimbucktwo.com/index.php,
and changed the order around a bit to make sure GOLD in its fossicked state (or what eva ya call that),
was #1 in the list, i think you could almost pull off a NZ equivalent of that site/forum.

"New Zealands GOLD Fossicking / Metal Detecting Forums" has a nice ring to it ;)
I'd stick my hand up to help moderate it too ;)

I like the idea of that landing page the aussie site has too,
and messed about with paint for a few mins....

Edited by user Friday, 8 June 2012 2:55:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ash_T attached the following image(s):
paydirtlandingpagesmall.jpg
Check out my BLOG : Its where i post my finds :D
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 8 June 2012 5:32:49 PM(UTC)
gavin

Cheers Ash_T - I'll keep you in mind when I come to getting some moderators on board - much appreciated. Will be something I do with the new site! BTW: The forums will get moved across as-is, just given a slight facelift.

Thanks for the detecting forum link. Here's also a gold specific one someone put me on to in Oz in case you're curious - http://golddetecting.4umer.net/

And thanks for the design mock-up. However, I think I have some ideas I want to explore myself - not too much of a departure from the current look and feel probably - just a bit more updated ;)

Edited by user Friday, 8 June 2012 11:19:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

oroplata  
Posted : Friday, 8 June 2012 6:01:42 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

While you're at it Gavin, fix the time on the server. The clock's running a bit fast :)

LBD  
Posted : Friday, 8 June 2012 6:59:12 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)

I support a dredging section

Not sure if an overseas section is needed because of overlaps...dredging overseas, does that file under overseas or under dredging?
cluthapete  
Posted : Friday, 8 June 2012 7:42:42 PM(UTC)
cluthapete

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Organised get together for Paydirt members in Lawrence (Nov 2012)Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 17 post(s)
The travelling tips section like in the Oz site may be a good addition,
It’s always good to know of of reasonably priced accommodation when travelling or of some paddock that members could safely camp up in
Or even if members want to give a roof for a couple of nights to a travelling forum member.
I wouldn't like to see the format of the site changed too much as it’s very user friendly at this stage
The Canadian site http://gpex.ca/smf/index.php?topic=9781.0 has a brilliant hoodacky at the bottom of the page if you have done a search for some particular subject.

nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Friday, 8 June 2012 11:33:45 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
i love your idea gavin...there are many many detectorist on here both for raw gold and as you say coins and relics....

this idea Metal Detecting could have it's whole own section with such things as:

Locations
Tips 'n' Tricks
Makes and Models

is a fantastic idea..i know myself i dont mind sharing locations with anybody..the way i look at it is im never going to find everything and if i share a location then ppl may share one with me and we both find great stuff in different areas..i know this is happening here in CHCH with the group of guys here..and we are always happy to invit new ppl along.

as well as this Metal Detecting - Gold
Metal Detecting - Coin & Relic Hunting

but i would definatly keep raw gold as the main part of the forum as thats what it was all about until the detectorist started joining up.

Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Saturday, 9 June 2012 10:06:19 AM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
I am not sure exactly how feasible it would be, but it would be nice to have a 'tips' section that had tips sorted by category and had just the relevant response and not the whole thread.
Metal Mikey  
Posted : Saturday, 9 June 2012 1:33:13 PM(UTC)
Metal Mikey

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
While I am new to the forum, it appears that the detectorist side of things is pretty active especially in Christchurch (The City That Rocks). I think an area specific to our interests is great. Perhaps an area where things dont have to be too serious would be good too. I think that some of the fossickers look at us as intruders. A minority I would think. Cheers Mike.
expat  
Posted : Saturday, 9 June 2012 2:19:22 PM(UTC)
expat

Man

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Great idea to have a separate detecting forum.

Some ideas for categories, based on some of the bottle collecting forums I frequent.....

DISCUSSIONS. Any chit chat or debate on metal detecting themes.

DIGGING NEWS. Finds/ stories etc.

MONTHLY COMPETITION. An invite to post pics of your best monthly find, at the end of the month all forum members are invited to cast an online vote in a poll to decide the winner. First second and third type thing. No prizes, just for fun and feel good factor.

VIDEO AND MULTIMEDIA. Home made detecting vids, youtube links etc.

HELP. Finds identification thread.

FOR SALE AND WANTED. Speaks for itself, a selling and buying thread.

POST A PICTURE. An online archive of past and present finds that can build up into a very helpful reference library type tool. An opportunity to get your collection or best finds online for other members enjoyment and identification help.

Cant wait to see how this side of the forum develops. I'm a relative newbie too but have felt that this side of the fossicking forum needs a bit more space as it seems to be growing very rapidly. It certainly is in Christchurch anyway!!

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 9 June 2012 2:44:11 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
You got ya hands full there Gavin. Metal detecting is goin off in NZ and detectorists seem to congrigate here. That's a good thing as it shows how popular this forum is.

Possibly split the home page into thirds. AS in two thirds usual stuff and one third metal detecting. This may keep things more organised.

Or, a whole seperate homepage altogether 4 detetorists (that sounds like alot of work...).
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 9 June 2012 6:34:18 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi gavin
i sometimes find it hard to put things in the right place eg ghost towns i suppose locations is the best but its not always relevant to gold im more for giving out some of my finds for others to follow up on personally im not always interested in looking as i have a claim so dont botter to much about looking else where but at the same time happy to sare what i find

i enjoy reading and looking at the pictures of the metal detectors post

i think the idea of overseas tips sounds great

maybe a site for ramdon he always seems to pop his head up

looking forward to how it all "PANS" out
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 9 June 2012 11:59:13 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Hi Gavin and company

I think that the possibilities and endless.
I would like to see a showcase category where items have to be valuable in their own right, desirable and genuinely scarce - this category would be where the Crimean War medal and the Boer War medal would go, scarce early British crowns, gold coins, an old miners revolver recovered from a Goldfield - items of historical and/or monetary value.
Gold in its raw would not be shown in this category - just other treasures, metal detector finds or otherwise - but they must be rare, scarce, valuable or otherwise desirable things to have.

Show and ell could be divided into several categories - one would be the above showcase category, another would be gold finds, another could be Goldfields collectibles (My 'Lammerlaws Treasuyres' would go there.

Goldfields history could be another one where the separate goldfields each had a chapter devoted to it.

A questions category where people can ask questions and a Handy hints category.

The possibilities go on.

Edited by user Sunday, 10 June 2012 12:00:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

expat  
Posted : Sunday, 10 June 2012 7:41:41 AM(UTC)
expat

Man

Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post
Hi Gavin and company

I would like to see a showcase category where items have to be valuable in their own right, desirable and genuinely scarce - this category would be where the Crimean War medal and the Boer War medal would go, scarce early British crowns, gold coins, an old miners revolver recovered from a Goldfield - items of historical and/or monetary value.
Gold in its raw would not be shown in this category - just other treasures, metal detector finds or otherwise - but they must be rare, scarce, valuable or otherwise desirable things to have.

Show and ell could be divided into several categories - one would be the above showcase category, another would be gold finds, another could be Goldfields collectibles (My 'Lammerlaws Treasuyres' would go there.

Goldfields history could be another one where the separate goldfields each had a chapter devoted to it.

The possibilities go on.

At a recent meeting of ours in Christchurch, a couple of members expressed their reluctance to post on this forum any pictures of items of significant age, rarity or value, as such pictures may be 'of interest' to the relevant heritage authorities who (the members were convinced) regularly stop by on the forum to keep an eye on what's surfacing. Whether there is any substance to this theory I wouldnt know but I wonder if it might be hard to prise photos of "rare, scarce or valuable" items out of some members for this reason.

We're all conspiracy theorists down here in Christchurch you know!!!

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Sunday, 10 June 2012 1:10:25 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: expat Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post
Hi Gavin and company

The possibilities go on.

At a recent meeting of ours in Christchurch, a couple of members expressed their reluctance to post on this forum any pictures of items of significant age, rarity or value, as such pictures may be 'of interest' to the relevant heritage authorities who (the members were convinced) regularly stop by on the forum to keep an eye on what's surfacing. Whether there is any substance to this theory I wouldnt know but I wonder if it might be hard to prise photos of "rare, scarce or valuable" items out of some members for this reason.

We're all conspiracy theorists down here in Christchurch you know!!!

Hi Expat

Firstly I shall ask you if you would like to bow to your King - I am the King of 'Conspiracy theorists' but I wish to point out to you that 'Within the 'theory' lies the truth and the truth we are fed is the lie' - the only wise statement made by 'Lammerlaw' in his life! We are fed a total litany of lies and most of the sheep swallow it hook, line and sinker.

As for your first statement about the reluctance to post on the forum - point well taken and with good reason. I had not thought of it myself but your point is very valid as there have already been nasty threats and prosecutions relating to poor sods digging bottles, taking old bottles and other relics from the site of demolished buildings and so I do believe that you will be quite correct in what you say and have raised a very very valid point.

From the enthusiasm with which these mini Hitlers like to persecute decent honest folk for merely recovering old relics and thus preserving them for posterity I guess we can all assume that Himmler, Goebels, Pol Pot, Idi Amin and Irma Grese are are all alive and well, the Kempai Tai (City council) Gestapo (Police) and KGB (NZ Government) reincarnated right here in Kiwiland forever ready to pout their pomposity on us poor fellows innocently pursuing a great hobby.

Edited by user Sunday, 10 June 2012 2:40:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

expat  
Posted : Sunday, 10 June 2012 1:43:51 PM(UTC)
expat

Man

Tis indeed a sad state of affairs Lammerlaw, where our discoveries are deemed to belong to others despite the fact that without our efforts they would probably remain unseen.

Oh and by the way. Irma Grese is indeed still alive and well and living in Wales. I married her daughter twenty odd years ago.

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Sunday, 10 June 2012 2:39:26 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Tis indeed a sad state of affairs Lammerlaw, where our discoveries are deemed to belong to others despite the fact that without our efforts they would probably remain unseen.

Oh and by the way. Irma Grese is indeed still alive and well and living in Wales. I married her daughter twenty odd years ago.

I noted your spelling of Irma Grese and yes that spelling is correct so have edited mine accordingly...your mudder-in-law and mine must have known each other as it was my mudder-in-law who taught Irma Grese the art of being sadistic. cruel, nasty and otherwise totally obnoxious.

Of course people can present their discoveries on here as having been found prior to the Hysterical Places Act and who can prove otherwise!
oroplata  
Posted : Sunday, 10 June 2012 3:42:23 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)
I married her daughter twenty odd years ago.

LOL.

gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 10 June 2012 9:12:06 PM(UTC)
gavin

Cheers for all the input guys!

As Lammerlaw has indicated, it's sometimes hard to decide where a posting should go so I'll try and keep things fairly simple still.

At present I'm thinking of keeping the forums as-is, but adding a new "Metal Detecting - Coin & Relic Hunting" section at the bottom with a number of forum topics under it e.g. Locations, Makes & Models, Buy, Sell & Swap, etc. Just hashing out what sections are required. Again, input is most welcome! Was to try and keep if fairly simple though, but hopefully cover all bases so people aren't struggling to decide where things should be posted.

I think non-gold detecting needs it's own whole section as there will be too much overlap with gold-specific sections else.

I'm hoping to pop along to the next Chch detectorist meeting and perhaps I can hash out some section ideas with you guys if I haven't finalised it by then. When and where's the next pow-wow?

Cheers,
Gavin :)
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Sunday, 10 June 2012 9:56:02 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
hi gavin...the last sunday of the month at the papanui workermans club..normally around 730ish..would be great to finally meet you.

Edited by user Sunday, 10 June 2012 9:56:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
3 Pages123>