New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

4 Pages<1234>
a_tinkerer  
Posted : Sunday, 23 December 2012 4:44:00 PM(UTC)
a_tinkerer

Groups: Registered

Edited by user Sunday, 23 December 2012 5:04:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

a_tinkerer  
Posted : Sunday, 23 December 2012 5:18:08 PM(UTC)
a_tinkerer

I brought a genuine whites detector for US$799.99 off the whites web site in the United States. It worked out about NZ$1300 with freight when it arrived. I couldn't believe it myself. I typed in the serial number on the Whites website and it also came out as a fake. I have been emailing Whites to fix it up as I have an invoice etc from Whites. That was about a month ago. When I type my number in now - it still shows up as a fake so I will be contacting them again. I don't think Whites are the most brilliant company in the world to deal with.

Edited by user Sunday, 23 December 2012 5:18:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mossop  
Posted : Sunday, 23 December 2012 5:46:03 PM(UTC)
mossop

New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
this is awesome

thanks for taking your time, this will hope fully come back to bite him in the jacksy

everyone else out there keep your wits about you. lots of Chinese fakes starting to come out

i did not buy mine from trade me, i called him from his website>
mossop  
Posted : Sunday, 23 December 2012 5:50:36 PM(UTC)
mossop

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: a_tinkerer Go to Quoted Post
I brought a genuine whites detector for US$799.99 off the whites web site in the United States. It worked out about NZ$1300 with freight when it arrived. I couldn't believe it myself. I typed in the serial number on the Whites website and it also came out as a fake. I have been emailing Whites to fix it up as I have an invoice etc from Whites. That was about a month ago. When I type my number in now - it still shows up as a fake so I will be contacting them again. I don't think Whites are the most brilliant company in the world to deal with.

i am sorry to hear that, sounds like some of the big sites and other sites could possibly be selling fakes aswell. maybe they just dont know

everyone needs to be aware before they buy anything, i have a friend in china and he has informed me there will be almost every model of metal detector copied in the year2013.
mossop  
Posted : Sunday, 23 December 2012 5:53:48 PM(UTC)
mossop

New Zealand

i might start an auction the same as ECONOPRODUCTS AND INFORM EVERYONE ON TRADE ME

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
mossop  
Posted : Sunday, 23 December 2012 5:55:24 PM(UTC)
mossop

New Zealand

WHAT IS THE NUMBER ON YOUR WARRANTY CARD? DOES IT MATCH THE DETECTOR?
expat  
Posted : Sunday, 23 December 2012 5:59:05 PM(UTC)
expat

Man

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Thanks again for the heads up on this issue. Some of those listings on the ali baba site are frightening. I note, looking through, that the Garrett Aces are there too. Well good copies of them anyhow.
I trawled through some of the other detecting forums overseas to see if there is any discussions on this problem elsewhere. On one of the threads re 'naughty' Garrett pinpointers, one of the posters said that he had bought his from ebay (gulp...so did I) and it served him well for a couple of years. Only when it packed in and he bought a replacement from a reputable dealer did it dawn on him that his old one was a copy! The build quality of his new one was noticably better. So perhaps some of these rip offs actually perform well enough to go undetected (pun unintentional) for years. A horrible thought.

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
mossop  
Posted : Sunday, 23 December 2012 6:04:34 PM(UTC)
mossop

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: expat Go to Quoted Post
Thanks again for the heads up on this issue. Some of those listings on the ali baba site are frightening. I note, looking through, that the Garrett Aces are there too. Well good copies of them anyhow.
I trawled through some of the other detecting forums overseas to see if there is any discussions on this problem elsewhere. On one of the threads re 'naughty' Garrett pinpointers, one of the posters said that he had bought his from ebay (gulp...so did I) and it served him well for a couple of years. Only when it packed in and he bought a replacement from a reputable dealer did it dawn on him that his old one was a copy! The build quality of his new one was noticably better. So perhaps some of these rip offs actually perform well enough to go undetected (pun unintentional) for years. A horrible thought.

IF YOU BUY ONE FROM OVER SEAS THERE IS A REALLY GOOD CHANCE IT IS A FAKE

THIS IS HOW THE DO IT

GET REAL UNITS, PRETENT THESE ARE THE ONES THEY ARE SELLING, THEN SELL FAKE UNITS SO THEY CAN MAKE MONEY,
YOU HAVE GOT TO REMEMBER THERE ARE VERY LOW MARGINS IN THIS INDUSTRY

AND THE CHINESE ARE COMMUNIST CAPITALIST SO AND SO'S

THIS WILL ONLY GET WORSE

SUPPORT NZ MADE WHERE YOU CAN AND STOP GIVING THEN OUR MONEY
mossop  
Posted : Sunday, 23 December 2012 7:06:01 PM(UTC)
mossop

New Zealand

look at that almost 500 views,

this is awsome

alastair dont you think?
tonznz  
Posted : Sunday, 23 December 2012 11:14:18 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
He has withdrawn his listing without replying to the question. If they were real detectors he would have denied the 'fake' claim loud and clear.

see

http://www.trademe.co.nz...isting.aspx?id=544802374

Edited by user Sunday, 23 December 2012 11:26:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mossop  
Posted : Monday, 24 December 2012 1:33:04 AM(UTC)
mossop

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: tonznz Go to Quoted Post
He has withdrawn his listing without replying to the question. If they were real detectors he would have denied the 'fake' claim loud and clear.

see

http://www.trademe.co.nz...isting.aspx?id=544802374

yes he would, but ohhhh my no reply.

what a surprise

a_tinkerer  
Posted : Monday, 24 December 2012 7:59:52 AM(UTC)
a_tinkerer

This discussion is starting to resemble a bit of a puritan witch hunt. Maybe time for a reality check. The GMT unit I brought from the official Whites website in the United states whose serial number tells me it is a fake on their own web site actually did have a problem with squealing too much on start up when I first started using it. With the help of a forum I opened up the cover and turned down the manual adjustment on the circuit board and now it goes fine. In the past 4 months I have got 3 gold nuggets totaling around 1 1/2 ounces walking up river in Karamea which has so far returned me far more than the detector is worth. If this guy has 100% positive feedback on Trademe as someone said earlier - then what is the problem? Maybe the Chinese detectors are just as good as the ones made in the US. With cars - if anything wasn't British or US when I was young & came from Japan, my dad use to say it was a piece of Jap crap. Reality is, if you read the Dog & Lemon guide all the most reliable models come from Japan & all the most unreliable vehicles seem to come from the US & Europe. Most electronic stuff in our households, not to mention small goods, bikes & our clothes are probably made in China somewhere. When it is the cheaper Mexican labor force in California versus the Chinese labor force competing, even Apple gets most of its products made in China these days. My guess is Whites, Garrets & a horde of other electronic companies also gets most of their parts made in China & assemble them in the United States at best. That is probably where the Chinese learnt to copy them in the first place. Is that American capitalism coming to bite it's own arse or what? So if the this guy has helped someone save around $400 to $600 dollars and he has had 100% feedback - again - what is the problem? Are we all such puritans in everything we do these days?
tonznz  
Posted : Monday, 24 December 2012 11:43:18 AM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

I would personally be devastated to find out my expensive detector was not the genuine article. And I don't think they are that cheap if they are fakes. And if they are fakes did the other customers know they were fakes? And selling fakes is illegal. If they are indeed fakes.

We haven't heard his side of the story. The seller could have responded to my trademe question if he had nothing to hide. In asking the question on his auction I was drawing this very personal forum thread where he had been accused and named with his contact details published to his attention as a chance to react, to hear his side of the story. If I was selling boni fidi product and a question was raised about it's authenticity I would protest loud and clear.

As for a 'witch hunt' scenario the black cat was out of the bag from the moment of the first posting on this thread.

The kind of apolgist reasoning A_tinkerer uses is quite persusive but is probably the kind of rationale one would use selling fakes: fake DVDs, rolexes or detectors.

If the seller of those white's detectors is indeed selling fakes he has probably talked himself into thinking he is Mother Teresa at this point looking after the poor and lowly and protecting them from the avarice of the large corporations.

100% positive trademe feedback.....I bet Ross Asset Management had 100% positive feedback too, until the discovery of the ponzi scheme.

I guess we'll hear more on this issue.

oroplata  
Posted : Monday, 24 December 2012 12:16:41 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)
This discussion is starting to resemble a bit of a puritan witch hunt. Maybe time for a reality check.

Well, yes, but every single post you've written on this board has been about the website in question, which suggests "ringer" to me.

mossop  
Posted : Monday, 24 December 2012 3:39:03 PM(UTC)
mossop

New Zealand

looks like he has closed his website and trademe accounts

how are all those people out there who need to save 400 - 600 dollars going to get buy now?

i think you mean charging people 700 - 800 more than they are worth is a little more accurate

http://www.alibaba.com/p...r_underground_metal.html

these people only copy, i don't think they are smart enough to design and build there own products
if they did then they would charge more because there would be a research and development team that would have to be paid for

at least buying from the genuine company puts money back into R&D then we get better products in the future

nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Monday, 24 December 2012 4:29:53 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
looks like his site is still open...lol... but trademe closesd

Edited by user Monday, 24 December 2012 4:31:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Monday, 24 December 2012 4:40:43 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Quote:
This discussion is starting to resemble a bit of a puritan witch hunt. Maybe time for a reality check. The GMT unit I brought from the official Whites website in the United states whose serial number tells me it is a fake on their own web site actually did have a problem with squealing too much on start up when I first started using it. With the help of a forum I opened up the cover and turned down the manual adjustment on the circuit board and now it goes fine. In the past 4 months I have got 3 gold nuggets totaling around 1 1/2 ounces walking up river in Karamea which has so far returned me far more than the detector is worth. If this guy has 100% positive feedback on Trademe as someone said earlier - then what is the problem? Maybe the Chinese detectors are just as good as the ones made in the US. With cars - if anything wasn't British or US when I was young & came from Japan, my dad use to say it was a piece of Jap crap. Reality is, if you read the Dog & Lemon guide all the most reliable models come from Japan & all the most unreliable vehicles seem to come from the US & Europe. Most electronic stuff in our households, not to mention small goods, bikes & our clothes are probably made in China somewhere. When it is the cheaper Mexican labor force in California versus the Chinese labor force competing, even Apple gets most of its products made in China these days. My guess is Whites, Garrets & a horde of other electronic companies also gets most of their parts made in China & assemble them in the United States at best. That is probably where the Chinese learnt to copy them in the first place. Is that American capitalism coming to bite it's own arse or what? So if the this guy has helped someone save around $400 to $600 dollars and he has had 100% feedback - again - what is the problem? Are we all such puritans in everything we do these days?

I think I am going to have to disagree with pretty much all of this:

First of all, his positive trademe feedback is does not excuse his immoral and illegal business practices.

For several decades after World War 2 Japan did manufacture a lot of crap. They got better at it, and the quality products they made were either under license, or of their own design; Toyotas were not poorly made imitations of Chevrolets.

The problem here is not that many electronic products are manufactured in China. The problem is that Whites has spent decades developing and refining their products. If Whites hires a Chinese company to manufacture components, that is not the same thing as a Chinese company stealing the design and manufacturing it themselves. This is not a case of ‘American Capitalism coming to bit its own arse’ (whatever that means). If you go back through thousands of years of human activity there has always been rules of trade. Even areas with no formal government had rules that traders followed. The reason being that if you could not trade, you could not have a civilization, and that is as true today as it was with the Phoenicians 3500 years ago. Whites cannot stay in business if someone else steals their designs and uses their brand and reputation to undercut them with poor quality junk. And when the Whites go out of business then what are you do for a good detector?

The guy did not ‘help’ anyone ‘save’ anything; he sold them a Yugo, got paid for a BMW, and told them it was a Ferrari. He ripped them off.
oroplata  
Posted : Monday, 24 December 2012 4:55:56 PM(UTC)
oroplata

He's even requested deletion of his domain name. The heat in the kitchen must have got a bit too much for him.

oroplata  
Posted : Monday, 24 December 2012 5:02:45 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Makes me wonder if those dredges he was selling were knock-off's too!

tonznz  
Posted : Monday, 24 December 2012 6:09:57 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Man
New Zealand

His website is down, his listings have been withdrawn from trademe and I can't view his feedback on trademe. He has blacklisted me. On the run it seems.
4 Pages<1234>