New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
mem  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 February 2011 10:16:54 PM(UTC)
mem

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I have been going through the crown mineral site, to find anything to do with gold fossicking at coromandel,but it states on their site the only designated sites are on the south island,i also tried to seeif there are any general fossicking permits,$500 odd dollars,WHAT,or there is no permit for general gold fossicking ,so it seems anyone fossicking anywhere outside the designated areas is breaking the law? i tried to do a ask a question on their site,they give you the questions to ask lol,crap site and crap rules.i was wondering if i sent them an email do you recon i would get a reply back,i am going to try anyway,if i get a reply will let you know.
Sorry if the questions above sound stupid but its all new to me.
Thanks Mem
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 February 2011 11:36:41 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:45:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mem  
Posted : Thursday, 3 February 2011 1:49:16 AM(UTC)
mem

Man

Thanks for that john,i understand exactly what you are saying,the ideal spot for me would be to go somewhere really out of the way, away from people,so hoping nobody would see me,i dont think i would like an audience anyway and scratch away.
I have sent off an e mail to crown minerals off their site,askingwhat they are doing about fossicking areas on the coromandel,if not why not,i have asked for a reply,well heres hoping.
Mem
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 3 February 2011 2:04:54 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi Mem,

I think all the public fossicking areas are actually DoC opperated (Crown Minerals simply supplying the permit?). Might be worth firing your email off at them also ;)

Cheers,
Gavin
mem  
Posted : Thursday, 3 February 2011 3:27:42 AM(UTC)
mem

Man

Thanks for that gavin i did also go to their site but didnt reall see much of interest.
I will check it out again.
Mem
mem  
Posted : Thursday, 3 February 2011 3:43:57 AM(UTC)
mem

Man

Just got a standard reply back from crown mineralsthey sent me the list they have on their site,must have a permit to gold fossick outside the designated areas,$500dollars odd as you all know.i wonder if they will ever change it,i suppose i will have to join the rest of you outlaws lol.
Mem
Bikerman  
Posted : Thursday, 3 February 2011 10:41:51 AM(UTC)
Bikerman

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
mem wrote:
join the rest of you outlaws lol.
Mem

Welcome brother.....put yer horse in the corral, and come sit a spell while we discuss our next 'robbery' lol

kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 3 February 2011 10:51:48 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:46:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Karl McDowell  
Posted : Thursday, 3 February 2011 1:22:38 PM(UTC)
Karl McDowell

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I've actually been pondering whether it's worth petitioning Crown Minerals (via the Hon G Brownlee) to establish a fosicking area on the Coromandel?

While I realise one area wouldn't cater to all tastes and flavours of 'fossicking' there does seem to be quite a bit of interest.

With that said an important point to bear in mind is that while permitting and land access are inextricably linked they are nonetheless seperate issues and access is apt to be very difficult on the Coromandel.
nzgold  
Posted : Thursday, 3 February 2011 1:44:03 PM(UTC)
nzgold

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
It's also handy to remember that anything that you post on a forum like this one ( As it's public) Could be used against you by authorities if someone complained. Or if you're silly enough to trespass on other people's land, they could also use pictures etc. to prosecute you if they wanted.
Silence is golden......
kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 3 February 2011 2:04:36 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:46:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 3 February 2011 3:01:54 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Karl McDowell wrote:
I've actually been pondering whether it's worth petitioning Crown Minerals (via the Hon G Brownlee) to establish a fosicking area on the Coromandel?

While I realise one area wouldn't cater to all tastes and flavours of 'fossicking' there does seem to be quite a bit of interest.

With that said an important point to bear in mind is that while permitting and land access are inextricably linked they are nonetheless seperate issues and access is apt to be very difficult on the Coromandel.

Whats the point in just haveing another fossicking area....? i mean no1 really sticks to the one,s that are in place now...if you want a bit of a change better to try and open things up a bit instead of being confined to any 1 area....with claims and private property being the excption as ya dont wana mess with them without asking...
gbm
Karl McDowell  
Posted : Thursday, 3 February 2011 11:20:57 PM(UTC)
Karl McDowell

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 29 post(s)
As you rightfully point out establishing another fossicking area won't solve the wider issue of regulatory excess, but it would at least provide a legitimate venue for newbies to try their hand at using traditional methods. Which in turn helps promote fossicking as a legitimate recreational activity. As you're probably aware there are currently no fossicking areas on the Coromandel.
roman holiday  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 February 2011 2:21:44 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
mem wrote:
Just got a standard reply back from crown mineralsthey sent me the list they have on their site,must have a permit to gold fossick outside the designated areas,$500dollars odd as you all know.i wonder if they will ever change it,i suppose i will have to join the rest of you outlaws lol.
Mem

Hi Mem. So 500 bucks to fossick on Crown land outside the publicly designated areas. I'm wondering if it might pay for me just to buy this permit [I assume it runs for a year?]. Reasons being; I'll be fossicking near full time for half the year, and I'd hate to have all my gear confiscated by some over zealous doc worker.

Could I ask you where you emailed for the permit information. Cheers, Roman.
mem  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 February 2011 3:10:31 PM(UTC)
mem

Man

Good morning R.H,Crown minerals sent me a standard reply and a copy of the pricing,if you look through it you should be able to work it out.
Here is a copy.Thank you for your e-mail to Crown Minerals.

If you are fossicking for gold outside of the designated gold fossicking areas you would need a permit. To obtain a permit an application must be made on the correct form which you can obtain from our website.

Specific information regarding what needs to be submitted can be found on the form itself – which serves as both Form and Information Sheet.

The below outlines what needs to be submitted when making an application:

• The correct application form – available here: http://www.crownminerals...the-forms-royalty-guides
• Correct fee (refer below)
• Applicant details; including previous experience and financial details.
• A plan clearly defining the area being applied for (a cadastral plan showing legal boundaries is preferred; however a topographical plan or aerial survey may be used).
• A work programme which clearly sets out all of the work intended to be undertaken during the duration of the permit. The work programme also should include an estimate of expenditure.
• Specific information regarding what needs to be submitted for each of the above sections can be found on the form itself – which serves as both Form and Information Sheet.

Permit Types:

Prospecting - To identify land likely to contain exploitable deposits.
Application for Prospecting Permit - $1,635.55

Exploration - To identify deposits and evaluate the feasibility of mining.
Application for Exploration Permit - $2,351.11

Mining - Economic recovery of an identified resource.
Application for Mining Permit - $3,271.11

The average time for a permit to be granted is approximately 6 months from receipt of application. The time frame depends on technical assessment, viability of work programme and iwi consultation.

You can find what land is available for permitting via the GIS Viewer for minerals (web permit map). Go to www.crownminerals.govt.nz and from the "Jump to online services" menu on the right hand side select GIS Viewer Minerals and Coal. This is an online interactive map that shows current permit locations.

Please also be aware that there are annual permit fees as well.

Annual Fees:

Prospecting - $3.58 per square kilometre (or part) of $511.11, whichever is greater.

Exploration - Initial term - $3.58 per hectare (or part) or $511.11, whichever is greater.

Mining - $10.22 per hectare (or part) or $511.11, whichever is greater.

You can find further information on permits http://www.crownminerals...mits-how-do-i-apply-faqs

Also you would need to enquiry at your Local Regional Council about resource consents and consult with the land owner for access.

G.I.S
You can find what land is available for permitting via the GIS Viewer for minerals (web permit map). Go to www.crownminerals.govt.nz and from the "Jump to online services" menu on the right hand side select GIS Viewer Minerals and Coal. This is an online interactive map that shows current permit locations. Click the magnifier glass plus symbol. Then use your mouse to to draw a square around the area you want to enlarge. Then click on the '"i" symbol and click it exactly on the area you want information on, the information will appear on the left hand side.

Gold Fossicking Areas:

At present the only designated gold fossicking areas are within the South Island. These are all located in historic gold mining areas where alluvial gold is present but the concentrations are low. The areas have been opened to gold fossicking without a permit as the areas have been mined or prospected in the past but the gold has nearly been exhausted or does not justify commercial mining. Only hand held non motorised equipment can be used in a fossicking area. Unfortunately there are no areas in the North Island that meets these requirements to designate gold fossicking areas. You can view the South Island gold fossicking areas here: http://www.crownminerals...ecreational-gold-panning

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

Thanks Mem
mem  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 February 2011 3:14:55 PM(UTC)
mem

Man

Just a thought ,when you do check out the areas that are allocated already,it does not leave much left over for any one else.
It just looks like big chunks of the coromandel have gone.
Mem
starflash  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 February 2011 1:59:04 AM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
i will just add my twisted view on the coro. i believe no permit is required to fossick. there are no public areas that is because fossicking on the coro has never been a problem before, therefore its been off the radar and no permits have been issued. and for good reason, most of its shit gold made up of fly specs.

big prob on the coro is access, that is where this issue will raise its ugly head, when newbys blatently walk over private land with gear in hand.

also read in a book i think called gold in your bottle? that no permit was required. feel free to walk over govt land but unless you get permission from a private land owner dont risk a plo sending a letter complaining to the govt.

one has been known to cross private land in the dead of night to reach the sanctuary of a favorite spot, then find nothing and think ok how the hell can i get out of here!

bit of a ramble i know, but i just dont like the idea of making fossicking in the coro public, no letters to govt please!

mem  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 February 2011 2:18:21 AM(UTC)
mem

Man

Thanks for that starflash,with my limited knowledge,i thought you either had to have a license or its got to be a designated fossicking area.
And no,i never do letters,this was a first for me writing to the DOC And Crown Minerals,just enquiring about fossicking.
Mem
roman holiday  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 February 2011 2:23:30 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Thanks for the info mem. Crikey, it all looks like a bit of a bureaucratic wrangle.... I was imagining I might be able just to pay $500 for a general permit for Crown land and be done with it. If filling out forms and plans are required, I'll flag the idea and just go "free range" keeping a low profile.
simon  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 February 2011 3:02:41 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
i just thought i'd add another 2 cents to the permit debate.

i mostly use a flared sluicebox but am getting more into detecting as it works for me when the rivers are flooded.

i have been at it for about 5 years spending most days in the first years on the riverbed.

i still go out frequently but to other places these days. there really is a lot of gold still out there if you know what you are doing are are willing to work hard to extract it.

like many i have looked into the permit idea. Unless you already have considerable experience and/or have discovered a sizeable deposit of gold somewhere this option is never usually viable. besides the permit cost you may have to employ a surveyor, you will have to account for your activities to govt on an annual basis, you may need to consult iwi, you may need a water permit to take and discharge - it just goes on.
while out in the field its easy to get excited. i find the best bet is to go home and do some math moneywise in terms of your time to sort out all the above.
at the end of the day its often easier to just hit the outdoors and go for it - with a few boundaries.
i have spent a lot of time with varying methods in the wakatipu. after awhile you find where you should and shouldn't step.
one thing i have always known - don't mine on others claims - these guys have done the hard yards and gone down the legal path. you can often approach the owner and they may let you prospect if you are nice enough!
the scale of what you are doing is also going to play a part. diverting a stream or digging a 2 metre deep hole to get to bedrock may not be the go if you are somewhere with too much visibility.
the biggest problem i think is that all it takes is one person to complain about what you are doing and you could be in trouble so to speak. being nice and friendly to people that come across you is usually the best option. often these guys whether tourists/locals/other prospectors will leave you alone if you have a friendly chat. maybe they would look at you differently if you give them the stare/look too dodgy etc. remembering all it takes is one complaint.
down this way we have is pretty easy i think tho. most complants i'm guessing are ignored as its prob mostly small scale stuff anyway.
when its comes to land access complaints are not as easily ignored. being unrightfully on someone else's is not good and may get you prosecuted. and it will destroy any chance of others access to the land. if you need access, ask for it.
myself, i find most areas i need to be are doc land or pastoral lease. often there are old miners tracks/races etc on this land with users such as walkers allowed thru. ignorance is a good tool if you are questioned. as long as you are not constructing something on a grand scale.

at the end of the day you might be best to stick to a doc area designated for public gold mining. unless you have a mate who can take you to their secret spot!
2 Pages12>