New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

5 Pages<1234>»
Shilo  
Posted : Sunday, 2 June 2013 9:33:08 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gjj109 Go to Quoted Post
Gidday Shilo, If you mean the Pohue, that the Zeehan mine and battery are located on, no it is one place I have never been to. That was a real bad day when the camp last got flooded, it is no more.

Yup up the Pohue. When I was there the track was almost non-existent and you just had to guess the correct direction, bush bash and keep an eye out for the odd old marker now and again. But the mine tailings contained a lot of large calcite specimens and minerals not normally found around the other mines in the area. From the high degree of mineralisation shown in the rocks I reckon it should be much better for gold then the Monowai.

I had left the camp a couple of years before it got flooded but remember doing some renovations on the old hall and seeing silt packed inside the walls for about a meter up from cyclone Bola's flood. The place was best to be closed it was just too vulnerable from flash floods.

One thing that is a shame with the camps closure is that Ernie the owner used to hold a rock hound convention there every year. Really interesting talking to everybody and I used to spend the year collecting carnelian and chalcedony pieces from the beach and exchange it for made up jewelry to keep the missus happy.

Edited by user Sunday, 2 June 2013 9:38:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gjj109  
Posted : Saturday, 29 June 2013 6:08:35 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Managed to get out on Wednesday for a bit of a look. No snow up here but there's a bit more water in the creek.

Couldn't follow the bedrock but dug out the clay from between the rocks and managed to score these little bits.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Saturday, 29 June 2013 6:12:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 1 July 2013 7:21:46 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Very well done Garry. Good on you mate. Good to see some sassy Coro gold.

Good luck out there

JW :)
cavey  
Posted : Thursday, 18 July 2013 9:15:03 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Nice looking gold mate spent a bit of time up the coromandel when I was living in Tauranga matter of fact the first gold I ever panned was just past coromandel township under the bridge with the plaque saying this is the area where Charles ring found gold in 1852 good times.

Stu
foss391  
Posted : Sunday, 28 July 2013 1:33:23 PM(UTC)
foss391

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
great to see. nice effort. was beginning to wonder if all the gold was in the south island lol
Teknetics Delta 4000. Garrett Pro Finder
chrischch  
Posted : Sunday, 28 July 2013 2:34:42 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Thats some nice gold alright! Sounds like you guys get some nice minerals up there too! Carnelian is one of my favourites.
Do you detect the gold or sluice/pan/dredge it out?
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
gjj109  
Posted : Sunday, 28 July 2013 9:17:39 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Gidday folks.

Appreciate the comments. There is always a speck or two to be found somewhere, but it is hard work sometimes. Only ever use a pan and a sluicebox. Definitely not dredge country.

This is the total result for a day up Waitekauri last week.

UserPostedImage
gjj109  
Posted : Wednesday, 31 July 2013 8:40:20 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Managed to get out and about today. Most of these little chunky bits came from a crack I spied about the time I was going to call it quits. Prior to that I'd found sweet f.a. The crack is about 4 feet long and 3 inches wide. I've gone down a foot and it is still 2 inches wide. I'll need an extension on the sucker to get deeper.

UserPostedImage
1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 31 July 2013 8:42:55 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Very nice mate, could be some nice gold waiting for you in the bottom of the crack!
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 31 July 2013 8:42:55 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Very nice mate, could be some nice gold waiting for you in the bottom of the crack!
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
gjj109  
Posted : Saturday, 10 August 2013 8:18:26 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Managed to make a quick mid-week trip back to the crack, convinced I'd never need to work again.
No Eldorado, but sucked out these few pieces.

UserPostedImage.

When combined with the bits from last week, made a respectable showing for a Coromandel crack.

UserPostedImage

Here's spot X.

UserPostedImage
foss391  
Posted : Saturday, 10 August 2013 11:01:02 PM(UTC)
foss391

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Nice going. Great to see gold coming out of the north, I'm going to have a squizz over there soon, can't wait to wander a creek.
Teknetics Delta 4000. Garrett Pro Finder
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 11 August 2013 12:39:14 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Some nice bits of Coro gold there Garry. Good to see your efforts are being rewarded. Well done. Your photo is a beautiful scene of up a typical Coro stream. We dont have that bush down here in Central Otago but that is a huge bonus for detecting. Went out for a few hours yesterday arvo with a new 17 x 11 Nugget Finder coil to go over some old ground I have flogged to death with my other coils & got 3 little bits for 1.26 grams. I was hoping to get some bigger bits at a bit of depth that my smaller coils werent getting down to. Guess the bigger bits have been found & that they dont exist deeper down where I am detecting. Getting hard to snag them now. They dont seem to grow back over night or even the next season. LOL :)
Just tallied up my finds since being down here since April of last year & was just over 9 ounces. 3 ounces of it, coming off the area were I was yeasterday, since I got my GPX 4500 in november. So the new technology csrtainly paying off from my old GP 3000. Would be interesting to see how the 5000 would go.

Good luck out there & hope that sassy Coro gold keeps coming your way.

JW :)
peteatpapaaroha  
Posted : Sunday, 11 August 2013 2:16:09 PM(UTC)
peteatpapaaroha

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Good work Gary,your perseverance certainly paid off, especially getting to the bottom otherwise you would be forever thinking.
Soon be finished in Hamilton.
gjj109  
Posted : Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:30:42 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Thanks for the positive comments guys.
That would make a nice little far full JW.
It would be interesting to drop your coil on a 5000 to see if there would be any difference in the results.
It is good to be able to get out all through the year.
chrischch  
Posted : Monday, 12 August 2013 12:59:42 AM(UTC)
chrischch

Thanks guys for your tales and pics. It keeps the appetite whet until I can get out next. Gets a bit sparce in here during winter!
gjj109  
Posted : Thursday, 17 October 2013 7:18:09 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Well there has not been a lot of new posts recently. I went out on a couple of different days last month and got only a couple of bits of dust each time. At least you learn where not to go.
A couple of weeks ago I went up the creek to follow a significant channel that ran across the flow, but the bottom was deeper than my shovel is long, so gave that away.
Found a couple of those boil holes and got the sucker to work on those.

UserPostedImage

Not a lot to show at the end of the day, but better than the previous couple of trips.

UserPostedImage

Even without the gold, some of these Coromandel creeks are just nice places to be.

UserPostedImage
chrischch  
Posted : Thursday, 17 October 2013 8:13:03 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Beautiful spot there alright! I love the native bush areas. Some good looking gold too. :)
gjj109  
Posted : Monday, 18 November 2013 10:12:41 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

We all have those "Must go there one day" places.
Last Wednesday I decided I would go to one of mine. A little headwater stream that had a couple of productive mines in their day.

There were a few windfalls across the track.

UserPostedImage

No, problem. I climbed up to the ridge and two hours later I was there. A stinking hot sunny day with no wind. It had been logged a year or two ago. There was nothing but knee-high gorse, crumbly steep slopes and rotting timber. Progress was slow.

This is taken from the old mining road. The mines were up ahead somewhere, but there was an impassable washout just round the corner.

UserPostedImage

When I saw this I wondered how it was that those blokes down south got prosecuted for moving a few rocks from a pile of tailings and this 150 year old road can be totally destroyed and nothing happens. If there was a pile of old pippi shells here, it would be protected for eternity. The little stream is somewhere at the bottom of the slope.

UserPostedImage

There is no going up there. And they don't want mining because it might make the streams dirty!

This photo is of the main creek, taken from the same place as the one above.

UserPostedImage

It was quite a contrast. Managed to find enough gold to convince myself there is some there, but not enough to make me want to return.

Foresee  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 November 2013 1:46:44 PM(UTC)
Foresee

New Zealand

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Good going Gary!
I went up waitekauri on sunday hiked a few hours and got past kascade. Stoped at every section of bedrock and panned. Didn't find anything that day but the hike was good for my fitness. Maby there is gold further up..? I have thursday and friday off work thinking of trying waiomu and waiau
5 Pages<1234>»