New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

5 Pages<12345>
gjj109  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 November 2013 4:25:29 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I don't know where you started from or where you went, but Grace Darling Stream and Kathleen Stream were gold bearing.

I had a look up Cascade and found zilch and, as far as I am aware, the gold reef system was to the west of Waitekauri Road.

I assume you had a look at the Alpha Road section in Chooks Manuscripts.?
Foresee  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 November 2013 5:31:40 PM(UTC)
Foresee

New Zealand

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Yes that is right, th alpha section. Walked around the left of the farmers hill, into the stream then rejoined the track after the first stream that goes to your left, then up to kathleen, sorry not cascade. Maby we overlooked it. I find those manuscripts very handing but you have to be prepared to hike!
kiwigoldhunter  
Posted : Tuesday, 25 February 2014 5:00:36 PM(UTC)
kiwigoldhunter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
wow some nice finds there from coro will have to make a trip from Auckland rather soon im thinking
gjj109  
Posted : Tuesday, 25 February 2014 8:55:03 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

A good time to be out there at the moment. Very low water and it's warm. Good luck with your hunt.
Foresee  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 March 2014 6:39:55 PM(UTC)
Foresee

New Zealand

Went Down to Coro on Sunday, Gary you're right it is Low!! had my best day yet, .5 grams for half a day still exciting for me though

Edited by user Tuesday, 11 March 2014 6:48:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Foresee  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 March 2014 7:38:17 PM(UTC)
Foresee

New Zealand

Would anyone have the heart to PM me any where in the coromandel i might be able to find just a little more than this?
gjj109  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 March 2014 8:58:34 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

That's a nice bit of bedrock and a great collection of boil holes. Half a gram for half a day is not to be sneezed at. That would be better than a lot of places I've been to. Using just a sucker and scraper, that's a good result. Your technique will get better and some days you will have better luck than others. The stream you went to shows good promise. You might want to have a crack with a sluice box if you get into a bit of clay.

I'm off for a long overdue look tomorrow. I hope to do as well as you.
Sluicebox  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 March 2014 8:59:00 PM(UTC)
Sluicebox

New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have been trying the Tapu recently and have found bugger all in 3 day trips, so can't help ya I am afraid.

Am off to Arrowtown this weekend and gonna try my new A52 sluice.. can't wait
Sluicebox  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 March 2014 8:59:10 PM(UTC)
Sluicebox

New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have been trying the Tapu recently and have found bugger all in 3 day trips, so can't help ya I am afraid.

Am off to Arrowtown this weekend and gonna try my new A52 sluice.. can't wait
Foresee  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 March 2014 9:53:19 PM(UTC)
Foresee

New Zealand

Cheers Gary yeah I have had alot of fun digging out those holes, any idea how they are formed? swirling waters? swirling rocks? soft material in the rock itself? I am going to give the gravel a good sift through, you are always talking about clay Gary, should i go on the bank to get the clay? I have a sluice box but I rarely set it up mainly because i pan out what i get from the boil holes, but I'll get it out to try the quantity method

The A52 is what i Designed my sluice box of, you can see it here, http://www.paydirt.co.nz...luice-box.aspx#post30382
looks like a handy size,

thanks for your advice, There is so much to explore around the Coro, haven't got my hands on any books yet. Probably a good place to start, I was finding so much dust at Broken Hills which makes me think there must be bigger pieces but the riverbed is all Pebbles
gjj109  
Posted : Friday, 21 March 2014 10:01:35 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

I'm not sure how those holes are formed. I think they are the result of a rock being moved in a depression on the stream bed, which creates a deeper depression and so on, but that's just a guess. The clay I refer to is on the bed of the stream and indicates an area of slack water, which is also where gold will settle out.

I managed to get out last week, before the non-event that was Lusi. The water is still warm enough to stand in all day. Spent a couple of hours shoveling gravel through the sluice but there was bugger all at the bottom of the hole. Dug another hole in what I thought would be a productive spot and found even less.

The photo is to show Foresee I am envious of his half a gram.

UserPostedImage

Foresee  
Posted : Friday, 21 March 2014 10:14:17 PM(UTC)
Foresee

New Zealand

Hey Gary! been wondering when you'd show your spoils! Well at least you found some! I actually started being picky about finding bedrock and these holes after one of your posts in which you found a good amount at the bottom, ahh i see yeah i come across this clay often. In broken hills i had success 4 or 5 very fine pieces of gold dust per pan, and two flakes for half a days work, have you tried broken hills at all? but elsewhere i have only been skimming the top few layers of the clay and find nothing.., I Probably should be getting to the bottom... right.. hence why you use the sluice for volume.. Id love to get down in the next week or so, hopefully the rain over last weekend didn't effect the water levels

Also I invested in some second hand waders.. honestly best aid.. walk up streams no problem best of all stay dry and warm all day..

Edited by user Friday, 21 March 2014 10:17:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gjj109  
Posted : Saturday, 22 March 2014 2:06:53 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Always get to the bottom. You need to be scraping and sucking the bedrock. I've only been to Broken Hills once. Found a few specks but, for me, there are better places, closer. Kiwijw has been there and did some fine gold recovery.

Took the pan and sucker up a little creek last week. Not enough water up there this time of the year to run a sluice. Found a few little pieces, enough to warrant a return visit sometime with the intention of shoveling a bit of gravel.

UserPostedImage

kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 23 March 2014 12:30:26 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gjj109 Go to Quoted Post
Always get to the bottom. You need to be scraping and sucking the bedrock. I've only been to Broken Hills once. Found a few specks but, for me, there are better places, closer. Kiwijw has been there and did some fine gold recovery.

Took the pan and sucker up a little creek last week. Not enough water up there this time of the year to run a sluice. Found a few little pieces, enough to warrant a return visit sometime with the intention of shoveling a bit of gravel.

UserPostedImage

Hi there Garry, Some nice Coro colour there mate. Well done. Yer I spent a bit of time at Broken Hills. Mainly because it was closer for me when I was living at Whangamata than driving over to your neck of the woods. I would drive right past Broken Hills on my way to your side anyway. The gold I got from there was always very fine & I cheated a few times & used a 2" dredge that I made & even a 4" dredge

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Panning off after cleaning out the box & the result.

UserPostedImage

Brought the bigger boy in but got stuff all with that. Maybe it was blowing the fine gold right through. I am sure Enviroment Waikato would love to see that in action :) LOL

UserPostedImage

Went for a quick detect after work on thursday & pinged a nice wee 1.5 gram slug of sassy gold. I have just got home from a detecting mission that was a 2 hour dive away. Managed 11 little pieces for 3.75 grams. I wont post any pics as it isnt Coro gold & so doesnt belong on this thread.
Keep that Coro gold coming it is always good to see your efforts are being rewarded. There is some nice bits to be found if you do the hard yards & I know Garry that you will be doing those. No gold is easy won gold but that is all part of the fun of it.

Good luck out there

JW :)

Foresee  
Posted : Sunday, 23 March 2014 4:51:16 PM(UTC)
Foresee

New Zealand

Got out for half of today, Bit of light rain, finished off all the holes, Pretty disappointing... all the holes in the river produced very little.. but the ones about a meter above water level had the most gold... so the gold must have been deposited along time ago I'm thinking..
pictures speak a thousand words.. Biggest Hunk yet ^^,
Foresee attached the following image(s):
1912080_10152663505730828_924587298_n.jpg
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 24 March 2014 5:10:53 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Nice going Foresee, Maybe the holes in the river have been cleaned out in the past & what you found in them is whats been deposited back in since & the holes above the river may have been over looked in the past & you may be the first to clean them out. Good to see you are getting some colour for your efforts. Well done :)

gjj109  
Posted : Saturday, 7 June 2014 5:55:38 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

It has been a few months since I took the shovel for a walk. Had a couple of spare hours so popped up the hill to a spot that is only a 2 minute walk from the car.

UserPostedImage

Dug a bit of a hole behind a largish rock and got a few wee specks, just enough to show that there is a little bit of gold still there. This gold is actually distributed through the gravel. I still haven't found the bedrock in this part of the stream.

UserPostedImage
peteatpapaaroha  
Posted : Saturday, 7 June 2014 6:05:15 PM(UTC)
peteatpapaaroha

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Go for it Gary I'm sure you'll get to the bedrock might need longer gumboots tho
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 9 June 2014 12:32:35 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Nice one Garry. Some good Coro colour there. :)

Good luck out there

1864hatter  
Posted : Monday, 9 June 2014 9:10:13 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
nice one, perhaps I will have to head over your way to get a few oz's ;)
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
5 Pages<12345>