New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

5 Pages«<2345>
gjj109  
Posted : Saturday, 28 June 2014 12:01:55 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Got out last Tuesday, in between rain events, to a little spot I should go to more often, but don't, because it is a bugger to get to.

As you can see, even with all the rain there has been, there is still only just enough flow to run a sluice.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I managed to get a few specks for the effort. Sometimes it seems like a poor result, until you remember the days when you found a lot less. It all depends where you decide to dig the hole and which square metre of bedrock you clean off.

UserPostedImage

The unique nature of some of the little bits.

UserPostedImage
Foiled again  
Posted : Saturday, 28 June 2014 12:46:18 PM(UTC)
Foiled again

Man

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 192 post(s)
Great effort I reckon. Love the look of the fern shape bits-way cool!
There's another to find and I'm gunna find it!
kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 28 June 2014 1:39:39 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi there Garry, Nice pics & very nice gold. Well done mate. Man those pics of your set up & gold found are very similar to a spot I used to frequent on your side of the range. Brings back some fond memories. I too had to dam up the little trickle of a creek to get all the water through the box. Even then I had to pre classify the material to less than 10mm for the water to be able to wash it through the box. That was when I made up my bucket sieve classifier. Worked a treat.

UserPostedImage

Just like you I had to dam up the creek. White bucket is the sieve bucket set up & is sitting on top of the material that I was digging & processing through the sieve bucket & then through the sluice box right down to the bed rock of this little creek. Then with hand crevice sucker pump, clean up the bed rock.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Some good results

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Not meaning to hijack your thread Garry, but the gold is there for those who put in the hard yards as those of you who are posting your Coro finds on here will know all to well. Good luck to you guys. Good to see a few of you getting out & up in to those beautiful Coro hills & streams & getting a reward for your efforts.

Keep up the good work & the posting of your adventures & finds

JW :)

Digga  
Posted : Sunday, 27 July 2014 5:26:09 AM(UTC)
Digga

Man
New Zealand
Location: NZ is my home or in a swag in Australia or Africa depending on where my work takes me

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
wicked set up

Edited by user Sunday, 27 July 2014 5:28:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gjj109  
Posted : Saturday, 2 August 2014 4:45:23 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Well it was 20 degrees on Thursday afternoon and I needed to see a bit of colour. 5 minutes drive and a 30 second walk to get to the creek.

I used just a little plastic pan and was there for 2 hours. This was the accumulated result, a few specks of dust and a blob of mercury.

UserPostedImage

Cooked off the mercury and this was the result. Still a blob unfortunately as the foil that I was heating it on, melted. The purpose of the post is to show that if you just get out there, there are a few specks to be found and you don't need fancy gear.

UserPostedImage
gjj109  
Posted : Thursday, 7 August 2014 10:01:05 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Went to the same place I was at last week and chucked a bit of gravel through the sluice for a couple of hours. The gold isn't great, but it's only a 40 metre walk from the car, so that makes it appealing.

The sluice harvests a bit more than using just the pan, but it is pretty fine stuff. The little lump is only the size of a match head.

UserPostedImage
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 8 August 2014 1:19:12 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Nice finds Gary. Well done. Good to see some more Coro colour. I have been snowed off from work today. May not get a detect in this weekend. :(
Came across these pics of one of my set ups up a Coro creek on your side of the hills there. You may recognise the area. The small creeks can look all the same.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Having to dam up the entire creek & get every morsal of water down the box. Hence the polythene. Bit like you first pics at the top of this page

UserPostedImage

White sieve buckets & the pipe is the 2" crevice sucker for cleaning up the bed rock once down to it

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Tools of the trade on the bank in the back ground along with smoko bag & even a tin of baked beans that were heated up on a little gas cooker. Doing it tuff aye. Box getting cleaned out

UserPostedImage

Result

UserPostedImage

Keep up the good work.

Best of luck out there

gjj109  
Posted : Wednesday, 20 August 2014 9:57:25 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Managed to get out yesterday morning for a bit of a fossick before the rain arrived. Certainly didn't do as well as JW in the previous post, but got a few bits and pieces from about 3 square metres of bedrock.

UserPostedImage
kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 21 August 2014 10:12:45 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Some nice pieces of Coro colour there Garry. Well done mate.

Best of luck out there

gjj109  
Posted : Thursday, 28 August 2014 7:58:19 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Went for a bit of a wander today with a crevice scraper and a pan. There's been a bit of wind recently and there are pine trees down everywhere. They certainly make traveling along the creek bed a bit of a mission. The gravel definitely gets well redistributed.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Managed to find a couple of cracks that held a bit of colour, and a few that didn't.

UserPostedImage
5AMP  
Posted : Monday, 1 September 2014 9:41:09 AM(UTC)
5AMP

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Inspirational photos and commentary-keep them up-much appreciated.
gjj109  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 September 2014 9:14:28 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Went out yesterday and had one of those days you get every now and then, but don't want too often. Clambered through the bush to a likely spot I had sussed out a few weeks back. Had a couple of test pans and managed a speck or two, which is what I'd expect. Set up the sluice and got to work with the shovel. Bedrock and the sore back arrived about the same time, but there was bugger all yellow to be found. I persevered for a while, after all, there was a fair bit of time and labour expended in making a good hole and you are reluctant to walk away from that. I came upon a nice little gold trap on the bedrock and got a few small colours out of that, but it was slim pickings. Then I came to this lovely crack, 4 inches wide and about 9 inches deep, from one side of the stream to the other. This was going to be a bonanza, but not a bloody thing. Absolutely zilch. My suspicions finally cemented into the fact I was not the first to come here. No problem with that. You just hope your scraper is longer and thinner than the bloke before and maybe he had a crappy sucker. There will be some gold somewhere. I'll follow the crack further into the bank than the other guy, scrape harder, shovel faster, suck more dirt. So that's what I did. But that other guy was pretty good and all he left for me were these small crumbs.

UserPostedImage

c4bb0ose  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 September 2014 9:48:21 PM(UTC)
c4bb0ose

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Hey man I was wondering how you go about legally speaking with panning and sleuthing, do you use someones permit claim with there consent, or are you heading onto land that has no permit nor private property?

The reason I ask is I have been eyeing heading to the Hauraki reef once I move back from Invercargill and since I will be based out of Hamilton I have the Te Aroha area close by with other areas a bit farther away.

I am not against forking out cash for a permit or paying a permit holder for permission but a try before you buy trip to confirm the existence of gold is of interest to me as well.

Cheers
gjj109  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 September 2014 11:09:04 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Gidday c4.

The only mining permits on the Coromandel are for Waihi and the New Talisman at Karangahake. Click on "Permit Map" on the top line of this page. Exploration permits cover most of the area between Thames and Katikati. There are no small permit holders such as hold permits on much of the South Island.

If you intend just to pan or use a shovel and sluice box, rock up to a creek and go for it. I would suggest sticking to Doc land though. If you go to the Walking Access New Zealand site, you will soon work out where you can go. If you intend to use motorised equipment, don't. The locals will dob you in and Doc will be most unfriendly. You are never as alone up here as you think you are. Saying that though, you should try to be discrete.

Good luck at Te Aroha. I've only been there once. Should be a speck or two in some of those streams.
c4bb0ose  
Posted : Thursday, 11 September 2014 12:33:17 AM(UTC)
c4bb0ose

Man

Originally Posted by: gjj109 Go to Quoted Post
Gidday c4.

The only mining permits on the Coromandel are for Waihi and the New Talisman at Karangahake. Click on "Permit Map" on the top line of this page. Exploration permits cover most of the area between Thames and Katikati. There are no small permit holders such as hold permits on much of the South Island.

If you intend just to pan or use a shovel and sluice box, rock up to a creek and go for it. I would suggest sticking to Doc land though. If you go to the Walking Access New Zealand site, you will soon work out where you can go. If you intend to use motorised equipment, don't. The locals will dob you in and Doc will be most unfriendly. You are never as alone up here as you think you are. Saying that though, you should try to be discrete.

Good luck at Te Aroha. I've only been there once. Should be a speck or two in some of those streams.

Interesting, the only electronic thing I was thinking of dragging along would be a metal detector since there are some old mining buildings around the same area and relic hunting is another thing I like to do (Although I tend to stick to antique stores for the most part).

I had a nosy at the map and it appears about a kilometre into the bush a company has a pretty hefty prospecting claim across the whole mountain, will they get pissy if I happen to be out doing some hobby gold panning? or are they not to concerned.
gjj109  
Posted : Thursday, 11 September 2014 2:06:17 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

I'm not sure which mountain you are referring to. The mining companies won't be worried about you.
Regarding Karangahake, the iwi and the Coromandel anti-mining brigade are meant to be having some protest action in the near future so some people might be touchy about you digging holes in the river. Remember though, it is conservation land so you can go where you wish
Re your detector and historic places. Anything over 100yrs old should be regarded as a no go area. Someone should be able to point you to the relevant legislation. Big penalties for digging holes in the ground there.
c4bb0ose  
Posted : Thursday, 11 September 2014 9:57:22 PM(UTC)
c4bb0ose

Man

Originally Posted by: gjj109 Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure which mountain you are referring to. The mining companies won't be worried about you.
Regarding Karangahake, the iwi and the Coromandel anti-mining brigade are meant to be having some protest action in the near future so some people might be touchy about you digging holes in the river. Remember though, it is conservation land so you can go where you wish
Re your detector and historic places. Anything over 100yrs old should be regarded as a no go area. Someone should be able to point you to the relevant legislation. Big penalties for digging holes in the ground there.

Mt Te Aroha to be exact, I had a look at the legislation and did some poking around, nothing solid in terms of metal detecting laws however.

What I did find is the usual ask for permission if it is private land and the code of conduct on the metal detecting part of this site, asides from that as long as it does not fall under the historic places act (I found you can see what is and is not by doing a search on the government website) and follow the Metal Detecting Code of Conduct I should be fine.

In terms of around Te Aroha there are a good portion of places in the town itself but the only area that is near the old mining places that would be off limits is the tram thats in the bush.

Edited by user Thursday, 11 September 2014 9:58:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kaka  
Posted : Monday, 15 September 2014 4:11:47 PM(UTC)
kaka

Gjj I noticed in some photos you posted about three months ago that you were using blue plastic sheeting around the intake to your sluice-forgive the basic question but how and why were you using it?
gjj109  
Posted : Monday, 15 September 2014 5:06:34 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Gidday Kaka.

Most of the time, when using a sluice, I make a dam to direct and/or control the water going through the sluice. The blue material is just half of an 8 x 4 polytarp from the warehouse, cut lengthwise. Makes building a waterproof dam really quick. Saves shoveling gravel and moving many rocks. Weighs nothing and lasts for years.
kaka  
Posted : Tuesday, 16 September 2014 9:19:17 AM(UTC)
kaka

Thanks GJJ great photos commentary and advice.
5 Pages«<2345>