New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages<123>
oroplata  
Posted : Saturday, 25 June 2011 8:00:27 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Shilo wrote:
But with each rise in frequency there is a rise in the price.....

Along with a decrease in ground penetration, I suspect, which would have to be offset by higher coil power output = bigger/more expensive batteries to maintain a useable time-between-charges.

Shilo  
Posted : Saturday, 25 June 2011 8:54:57 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Not necessarily with the newer detectors. The Ace 350 and the AT Pro both use 4 x AA's and alkalines last 20 hours yet the AT has nearly double the frequency. Depth isn't effected either with reports that the AT is deeper then the Ace. Both use a double d coil. How the detector analysis's the information from the coil has as much to do with depth as raw power.
Maverick  
Posted : Monday, 27 June 2011 6:05:18 AM(UTC)
Maverick

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
kiwijw wrote:
Hi there Maverick, You will have a load more fun with the 300. It will open a whole new world to you. You could start with no discrimination as the LCD readout will give you a good indication if it is iron crap or a better conductivity metal by where the curser gives you its blinking reading. Crap targets are usualy down in the first two readouts. You will see where the 5 cents symbol is. I think it is the fourth readout from the left. You could try setting the discrimination one down from the 5 cent symbol & this may give you a better hit rate on the "new" coinage with its iron content. You will get the hang of it with practise. Like most things.
Good luck & let us know how you get on. Great to hear someone else with a 300.

Happy huting

JW :)

thanks for that.
still waiting for a run with it, weather has been lousy for detecting
lately.

Cheers.
Maverick  
Posted : Monday, 27 June 2011 6:12:01 AM(UTC)
Maverick

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
cavey wrote:
Hi JW

How much are these worth and where can you get them from
thanks
Cavey

Hi Cavey,
as Kiwijw has said these are older models, and I got both of mine second hand
on Trademe. The treasure ace 100 cost about $280 from memory a year or so ago
and the treasure ace 300 i just got was $160. a bargain!! (well i thought so)
So you can get a good deal with second hand stuff if you look around.
The first was a guy who'd bought a bigger better faster detector and the 300 was
a guy who didn't use it anymore.

Cheers,
Maverick
Rege  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 June 2011 8:40:49 AM(UTC)
Rege

That is some great beach detecting! Profitable too, noticing when the opportunity arises is paramount to getting the deeper heavier items, unfortunately for me the nearest Ocean/tide beach is a six hr drive so when I go I have to make do with what I find. One time in the winter the wind had blown the sand away leaving each coin on a little pedestal and all one had to do was pick them up. No jewelry though, I think the disc shape of the coins caused a floating effect. I use a White`s MXT, I agree no machine will do it all but this machine has a dedicated gold mode and a good reputation for the small stuff.
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 June 2011 10:58:53 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 3:47:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rege  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 June 2011 9:49:46 PM(UTC)
Rege

Kiwijw...I am a White`s dealer and plan on getting a TDI or two to bring over to New Zealand next March, then I hope to meet someone who detects there and in OZ and try my luck. I also dredge, pan, sluice and hope to do some of that in NZ and OZ. I love looking for gold and try to make the best of any opportunity, plus the friendships and camaraderie are priceless. Getting back to the TDI, I have talked with a few owners and they are pleased with it`s performance as it does have some discrimination. One guy actually used one in OZ and found some very small gold with it. The machine does have a learning curve but if given a chance the results can be very rewarding. I am waiting before I buy one as I was told there are some changes/improvements coming. I would also get the TDI OZ edition.

Cheers,
Rege
starflash  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 July 2011 8:57:21 AM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
great effort jw, just got back from two weeks in tonga, gee i hate this cold weather, im going to hit my beach this weekend if it stops raining, something to keep me amuzed untill i can get down the sth island this summer and get all lammerlaws nuggets!
starflash  
Posted : Friday, 15 July 2011 10:31:47 PM(UTC)
starflash

Man

went for a beach detect, got the tide wrong so couldnt get much below the high tide mark, found $22 in 1's and 2's, nothing smaller and no rings etc and a few bits of tin cans. 15 inch mono worked great getting coins down to almost 2 feet, got nothing with the 17x12 dd?. also found normal deep the best setting. when i tried going under the high tide mark where the sand was really wet the threshold was all over the place, far too noisey to hear a thing, does anyone else get that happening?.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 15 July 2011 11:00:19 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: starflash Go to Quoted Post
great effort jw, just got back from two weeks in tonga, gee i hate this cold weather, im going to hit my beach this weekend if it stops raining, something to keep me amuzed untill i can get down the sth island this summer and get all lammerlaws nuggets!

I dont know how you can do that now as I already have them...and you sure in hell wont be looking for any on my property so the best of luck wherever it is you intend going.
goldnugget  
Posted : Friday, 15 July 2011 11:07:10 PM(UTC)
goldnugget

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
G'day Starflash,
With my 4500 I'd virtually given up the beach until I dumbed the detector right down and then I found the threshold somewhat stable but still a few warbles. I had been walking above high tide, and parallel to the sand dunes, finding that hitting bumps or footprints etc I was still getting spurious bleeps etc. Try walking directly to and from the waves i.e. perpendicular to the dunes. I've found that I can get an uttely consistent threshold.
I think the utter smoothness of recently washed sand combined with a presumably consistent salt content negates spurious warbles. I think in the semi-dry sand you could get different concentrations of salt and also varying concentrations of minerals (black sand, basalt etc) that can and do drive you nuts!
Have a crack and let's know if what I've found makes a difference for you.

Cheers.
starflash  
Posted : Saturday, 16 July 2011 5:52:24 PM(UTC)
starflash

Man

thanks goldnugget will try that,but i found the wet sand the worst.

lammerlaw, who and when stole your sense of humour?
mem  
Posted : Saturday, 16 July 2011 9:14:21 PM(UTC)
mem

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Lammerlaw and sense of humour? he has got bags of it,he must have dropped one of those 25lb projectiles on his toe yesterday lol,just an off day i recon.
Mem
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Sunday, 17 July 2011 10:06:04 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: starflash Go to Quoted Post
thanks goldnugget will try that,but i found the wet sand the worst.

lammerlaw, who and when stole your sense of humour?

With some people I havent got a sense of humour.
Eagle  
Posted : Monday, 18 July 2011 10:56:22 PM(UTC)
Eagle

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Gidday Starflash

Good times in Tonga I hope, did you manage to slay some good fish? Are you starting to focus on gold again.......

I was just wondering... when are we heading to Lammerlaws???

Eagle

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 18 July 2011 11:08:25 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: Eagle Go to Quoted Post
Gidday Starflash

Good times in Tonga I hope, did you manage to slay some good fish? Are you starting to focus on gold again.......

I was just wondering... when are we heading to Lammerlaws???

Eagle

And tell me - Are you the type who trespassers on the property of others? If so then feel free to cross me - there are some types I just do not like and IF thats the sort of thing you do then rest assured I think your a wank! The best thing for a landowners security is the reputation of being ready to prosecute any trespasser...and I will.

I can also see that these forums are not for people such as myself who are absolutely straight and honest and I find your type offensive. I regret having joined because of types with a sense of humour such as yours and also regret sharing and trying to assist others with my suggestions.

I will also state on here that I have agreed privately with two people on here to take them mining and three people on this site are already friends but if I should catch you or hear even a RUMOUR that you have been on my property then you will be served with a trespass notice which will be publicly notified - such the price of pissing me off or even having a joke at my expense.

A mere joke can do me no harm but it can do you a great deal of harm should you wish to access property when you cross the landowners... and this one you have crossed.

Stay in your own backyard as you aint welcome in mine - your fault, not mine.

Edited by user Monday, 18 July 2011 11:27:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Eagle  
Posted : Monday, 18 July 2011 11:42:57 PM(UTC)
Eagle

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Pull you head in Lammerlaw!!!!!!!!....I was having a laugh With Starflash whom I have meet through this forum & taken him to a couple of my spots to find some nice gold......Stop being so self-righteous.

Blah,blah,blah

Eagle
overdog  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 July 2011 12:20:14 AM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Im with Eagle on this one Lammerlaw-the boys were just pulling your chain.
You wont have a rampaging horde of gold hungry vandals beating down your gates.

Stand down soldier.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 July 2011 1:23:38 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: overdog Go to Quoted Post
Im with Eagle on this one Lammerlaw-the boys were just pulling your chain.
You wont have a rampaging horde of gold hungry vandals beating down your gates.

Stand down soldier.

I can see that people take delight at having jokes at the expense of others - well I am not like that, not like that one little bit - never done it, never will. To me its a form of bullying and one thing about me is that I have hated that type of person all my life and stood by the underdog The good thing about being on this forum is that I can make judgements about peoples personalities based on what they say and the manner in which they pick on others, make fun of others, make jokes at the expense of others - Few people get close to me and one thing for certain is that those who make jokes of others will never be welcome on my property so it could be said that there are those here who are simply shitting in their own nest, sucking their own Kumara should they ever decide that the might like to come my way.

As far as Eagle and his mate are concerned I dont give a twopenny toss for them - dont wish to know them, never wish to meet them. Just different natures I guess and the good thing about being able to go to places such as I have is that I can chose who I go with, who I meet there and when I get there I am well away from people I really have no time for so you are welcome to side with Mr Eagle...and join him in being warned that you stay on your side of the fence and I shall stay on mine. Another thing I learnt probably before you were born was never buy a ticket into another persons business and never take sides.

I might also add that from the statements that some people make on this forum I actually do think that there are those who are indeed vandals with their comments about breaking rules or going to places they are not supposed to be.

You were so right 'The BOYS were just pulling my chain - they will grow up one day!

Eagle - I am not being self righteous - I simply do not condone your sense of humour. If you want to be the type of person who lowers themselves to have jokes at the expense of others then that is your prerogative but not my style.

Edited by user Tuesday, 19 July 2011 1:41:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mem  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 July 2011 1:32:35 AM(UTC)
mem

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Its a shame, and i find it all sad reading this.
Mem
3 Pages<123>