New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

4 Pages<1234>
creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 21 July 2011 9:55:37 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Beach detecting. Took the ace 350 to its first beach at the end of Wharau rd, kerikeri. Fairly rocky sort of beach. The ace seemed to go off quite regularly on a low sensitivity. Found 2 sinkers, couple of ring pulls and a few beer caps. Had some of my nephews as diggers (for 2 mins at first then they wondered off) Was quite time wasting and somewot frustrating not having a pinpointer. Wasted a lot of time digging up things we could not find. That will be next on my list to get. With that in mind i would say we missed a thing or too. Wot apeared to be some of the better sounds coming from the i.d. we could not find these ones even after looking for some time...hmmm, pinpointer. So far so good all round. Happy with our new machine. Oh, i broke the cool unbreakable trowel we got with it. Oops.

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 21 July 2011 10:02:42 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

GOLD NUGGET Proud to announce my gold nugget statis.

Edited by user Thursday, 21 July 2011 10:07:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
starflash  
Posted : Thursday, 21 July 2011 10:54:56 AM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
hi creamer
you may get a half decent swell off this new storm, it may push some sand around exposing bedrock or at least taking some of the top sand away. increasing your chances.
creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 21 July 2011 5:50:34 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

I have made a 2nd trip with the young ones back to the wharau rd beach area. This area is not a regular beach. We were into it this time. 2 sinkers and a silver spoon. 1 find each. Before the rain came. The ace loved finding sinkers with a neat "ding ding ding". And the same but a knotch up for the silver spoon. All in one spot. (the glory hole we called it. lol) Now the kids are hooked and they are up and down the driveway. I think that this is ok. I have pointed out to them about being very very careful when digging. And that they have an expensive sensitive machine in there hands so dont break it... Hopefully they might come in with something... Alround the ace worked fine in the wet sand today. High tide, bit of rain. Was surprised actually. Opito Bay beach next. Will be better. ( Note the rust on the tip of the spoon. indicating that its silver plated i guess. And the unusual solidified goo in the spoon near where its rusting).
File Attachment(s):
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 21 July 2011 6:01:52 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Originally Posted by: starflash Go to Quoted Post
hi creamer
you may get a half decent swell off this new storm, it may push some sand around exposing bedrock or at least taking some of the top sand away. increasing your chances.

Yes for sure. Still had to abandon some of digs that the detector found because it became to hard to find without a pinpointer. Even with 3 of us looking... None the less i can go back to some of those spots at another time.

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Shilo  
Posted : Thursday, 21 July 2011 9:11:39 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Until you can get a pin pointer, use a scoop in the sand. For a couple of months when I started I just used a small black plastic scoop from the garden centre. Drilled as many 7.5mm diameter holes in it as I could and never looked back. These black scoops are made from a strong plastic and will last quite a while. To use: pin point with the detector as good as you can, use the scoop to dig and when you think you have it just shake the loose sand out of the holes in the scoop. Anything larger then an ear stud will stay in. For wet sand just wash in water.

Once you have a few finds under your belt, then get a good pin pointer. There is a lot of rubbish out there - inc one on Trademe at the moment for an horrendous price that comes as a free give away from Kellyco. The one and only pin pointer to get is the Garrett Pro-pointer. Expensive but worth every cent compared to the others. I would suggest just saving up for one of these.

By the way if the Ace loved sinkers then it will love gold. Both have similar conductivity and where there are sinkers on a beach there is a good chance of gold since they are both heavy objects and the waves sort targets into similar density's on the beach. Likewise if you are hitting pull tabs below the high tide mark, search in a different area.
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 24 July 2011 8:11:27 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Yesturday and today at local northland beach areas. Best find yesturday was a small silverish piece probably off a charm bracelet. Best find today was a ring made of copper plated steel i think. And a penny. The ace picked up 1 cent pieces at least a foot deep. in the sand. We dug up most hits today. Still got heaps of beeps on the foil side where it says 5 cent. Hard to say but im slowly diggin them up too. Some were coins down deep. Yet to hit a real beach.

Shane
File Attachment(s):
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 25 July 2011 1:12:43 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Does anyone know a way to clean up those old coins that i have found at the beach. Some of the older/better ones have oxidization growth on them, salt and corrosion. Like to restore them as best as i can without damaging them any further. They are treasures. Out of 50 coins found only 2 were from another country. USA 1 cent piece (one side demolished) and an english 1930ish king george penny (one side demolished). And 12 dollars of usable money in 1 and 2 dollar coins. 4 trips.
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 25 July 2011 3:53:33 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Nice one Shane. You are on your way to making your detector pay for itself already. Try a google search on cleaning up your coins. There are verious methods. Probably the best though is through electroliysis. More gentle than scrubbing or wire brushing or scourer pads. I will go through my stuff & see what I can put up for you.

JW :)
oroplata  
Posted : Monday, 25 July 2011 4:15:01 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

The golden rule with coins is that if you think they have value over and above face value, you DON'T clean them at all. You leave that to the buyer.

1 tiny scratch can devalue some coins severely.

rgmcbrid  
Posted : Monday, 25 July 2011 4:41:56 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Good haul! Are the nails copper?
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 25 July 2011 6:25:01 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Electrolysis works wonders but recommend you don't use it on the pennies as this could cause them to be attacked by the "bronze disease". This type of corrosion is caused by acid's eating into the penny and will eventually turn them into green fluff (don't ask how I know!). Any copper, bronze or brass is effected but silver comes up very well with electrolysis and is safe to use so long as it is kept to the minimum needed (too long being zapped and it will pit the silver).

For pennies and tokens that I want to keep (not sell) and mean something to me, I soak in hot hydrogen peroxide for an hour or so, scrub with a soft tooth brush then after drying put on a very thin coating of wax or oil.

If it is a valuable find and you plan on selling then soaking in olive oil for a week or 2 and brushing with a soft brush will get rid of the worse of the corrosion but I wouldn't treat it further.

Gold I just soak in warm Cloudy Ammonia for a while then light scrub with a soft brush and detergent. All it ever needs.

creamer  
Posted : Monday, 25 July 2011 6:35:25 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Originally Posted by: rgmcbrid Go to Quoted Post
Good haul! Are the nails copper?

Yes they are old copper nails. The detecter picked them up easily and quite deep. Surprising really.. The ace really likes lead and copper. Wonder wot its like on gold..
Cheers Shilo, i will try some of those ideas.

Shane

Edited by user Monday, 25 July 2011 6:42:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
x-terra steve  
Posted : Monday, 25 July 2011 7:45:43 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Good stuff Shane,
keep up the posts, dont forget to check out the local parks,intermediate schools with the adventure play grounds,easy pickings in the bark.
cheers Steve
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 31 July 2011 7:14:31 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Originally Posted by: x-terra steve Go to Quoted Post
Good stuff Shane,
keep up the posts, dont forget to check out the local parks,intermediate schools with the adventure play grounds,easy pickings in the bark.
cheers Steve

Yes that is the go. Just spent 3 days in Whangerai and bro and i took the kids on a playground crawl. Dont remember how many we done or could only look at cos there were too many people. More than 2 people we moved on. We had good fun. Night time missions were also good fun. I think they clean the bark out of some playgrounds each year cos of glass and stuff. And im sure the black matting they put under the bark sometimes goes off as a really good strike. or is it valuables under the mat, who knows. And working out where the underground mounts are for all the swings and slides etc cos they came up as silver or iron or both. Kids playgrounds are ok i guess. Typically we found kids jewelly. 3 rings and a charm bracelet, all sized for younger wrists/fingers. $17 of 1 and 2 dollar coins, 2 keys, small bits of broken jewerlly and other assorted bits and pieces. The ace 350 worked very well with minor adjusting of the sensitivety along the way.
Some of the things you may find in a playground. Happy hunting.

Shane
File Attachment(s):
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 7:17:23 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Me and Ace went out on a 8.30pm night mission last nite. A popular bark playground was the target. Good lighting, had a headlamp anyway and my headphones this time. $23 in 1 and 2 dollar coins, a badge, a cheap silver pendant without the chain, a 1978 foriegn coin, a couple of earlier nz coins and the usual ring pulls and stuff. Took 2 hours to dig it all. Had a ball. Anyhow 2 shady young doods pull up for a bit, asked the odd dumb question or 2, was 10.30pm by this stage, 15 mins later.. "want a ciggie break bro... '' ahh no thanks, i was just about to go thanks anyway.. This was my que to bail (i was a street kid 30 years ago, i no how it works). In the car quick, gone like a rat down a drane pipe... LOL Anyhow night time was real cool but dont go alone like i did if you can avoid it. Seriously. On a possitive note I was digging up like neally a foot of bark to find some targets. They were way down in the dirt. Some were triple hits but i was spending too much time digging around for them, so i moved on. You can only dig a hole so far before you start lookin like a nutcase... hmmm. There were alot of underground frame/bar/ladder etc mounts to decifer while searching. I found that if you go to the opposite side of the mount, it will buzz in the same spot, or in all 4 corners, or even a foot or too in front of a structure.
A pic of last nites effort.

Shane

File Attachment(s):
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Maverick  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 8:57:45 PM(UTC)
Maverick

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
a good haul there.
i have found some of the weed mat under the bark is held down with wire hoop pegs, a strong target and a deep hole, good job it's just bark and not clay ! also some of the thicker mats like those under swings are held together with metal rings.

keep up the good work
x-terra steve  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 10:09:56 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Good stuff Shane,
spent many a night on the beach detecting and meeting the shady ones!,
keep up the posts
steve
Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 10:18:37 PM(UTC)
Shilo

I 2nd the bit about metal loops holding the matting down. Can be a real bugger as they don't always id as iron.

It is sometimes surprising what can be pulled out of a playground. My first silver ring was from one and have also found a gold ring in one as well. The swings are worth concentrating on (especially the small kids ones with the safety belts) as rings slip off when mum or dad is pushing the child. Also any under bars which allow kids to hang upside down. $ coins cascade from their pockets.

If hunting during the day take some scrap metal in your pouch to the site. Handy when talking to parents as you can show how you are cleaning up the play area. I didn't need to do that on tonights hunt as I ended collecting glass from 2 smashed bottles that somebody had recently scattered around in the sand of the playground. Hopefully I got it all. Felt like force feeding the glass bit by bit to the creep that did it!

Turn down the sensitivity when swinging near the metal bits, you will still pick up deepish targets and you can get your coil closer.
creamer  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 August 2011 8:00:32 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Cheers guys.

Mav. Yes your right. The 350 buzzs big silver on the mat sometimes. Next time i look closer and mite even look under the mat...

Xterra. Definately not gonna hit them with me valuable dtector... Lol Safe Hunting.

Shilo. Gold. Well thats wot got me started here in the first place. Bro (Chrissyboy), said lets go fossicking for g and lately its been all on.. Goin everywhere. Mines, playgrounds, creeks, buying detectors... Aint found no g yet. Only been a month or 2. I would be happy to find some with my detector at this stage, it will be a buzz when if happens.. lol.. get it, a buzz...
Anyhow heres a pik of my 2 favorate finds so far. Hard to take a close up shot. These coins are very small.
An English new penny and a half 1971. (Found a spit and a half from our front door)
A Netherlands one cent piece 1978. (Worth now $0.20)

Shane
File Attachment(s):
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
4 Pages<1234>