New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

4 Pages<1234>
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 August 2011 9:14:48 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Gold is just around the corner. Maybe your next hunt? Keep at it and dig anything in the foil / pull tab range.

As an incentive, the pic attached is of my ring display case that contains all the precious metal rings I have found since Xmas (put the sovereign and silver / gold cuff bracelet in for the pic from the other display case). Gold is the middle 2 lines and silver the upper line and the lower 2.

I can't find native gold where I am so am doing the next best thing to satisfy the "gold fever". Worked out the other week that if the rings were refined there is over an ounce of 24 carat. But they are locked away and won't be sold or refined until retirement when hopefully there will be a lot more! By the way I hunt every evening and normally twice a day on the weekends so there has been a lot of hours put into this treasure.

Hint - most of the jewellery was found on the beach and during or after storms. When a storm hits cruise the local beaches to find areas of erosion and hit them with the detector. Once you have found sinkers or even a ring, keep hitting that spot over the next few days. My last good spot kept giving up goodies for nearly a month. NIWA is expecting some bad weather for the rest of August so we might be in luck soon.

Ring display
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Thursday, 4 August 2011 12:03:40 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Hey Shane I grew up in Kerikeri and your posts are talking about familiar places from the 50's.
Been thinking recently of spots I might check out next time in the Northern territory. As kids we
must have lost a few silver half crowns somewhere.
HH
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 5 August 2011 9:06:00 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
(This pic of two coins is 3 posts away, keep scrolling).

Edited by user Thursday, 25 August 2011 1:51:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 5 August 2011 10:10:57 PM(UTC)
Shilo

In Photobucket to one side of your photo is a small window called "Share this Photo" click on the web address titled "Direct Link" - this will copy that address.

Back in this forum when you post a reply there is a set of icons above where you type. Click the one with the mountain and red sun on it. Another window will open up saying "Enter Image URL" remove the http in it and right click then paste your copied photo address in here. After Ok'ing it enter the name of the photo, Ok that as well and all done!

with that [img]null[img\] showing in your post above it means that the URL address Photobucket was never copied over and pasted into it.

Edited by user Friday, 5 August 2011 10:13:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 6 August 2011 4:43:54 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

watch this space.

Edited by user Sunday, 7 August 2011 9:53:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Saturday, 6 August 2011 6:26:32 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Creamer,

I can see that the address for your image is wrong. The way I do it is from flickr, but the principle is the same, is to click on the image until it is the original size, then right click the mouse. This should bring up image properties and you can get the web address from there. But if it does not start with "http" and end with ".jpg" (or whatever kind of image file it is) it is not the right address. Sometimes the photo hosting sites have fancy slide show viewers and things and if you are in one of those the address you get when you right click is for the viewer not the image. Once you think you have the correct address paste it into your post, then highlight it, and then click the inset image button which will add the "[/img]" hieroglyphics to both ends. That is the way I do it anyway. Then preview the post and if you got it right it will show up. If not you can keep trying until you figure it out.

One other tip, I resize the image before I upload it to the photo hosting site; there is no point in having massive image.
Shilo  
Posted : Saturday, 6 August 2011 9:31:02 PM(UTC)
Shilo

You clicked the Email & IM url address which is the wrong one. Choose the address titled "Direct Link" which is below the Email one. Just had a look at your album and the address, and in the pic below the red arrow shows what address to copy (just clicking on it will automatically copy it). Give it another go you were so close!

Photobucket Forum image link
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 7 August 2011 9:48:53 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

[img=UserPostedImage] my favorite two coins so far. [/img].
Thankyou Shilo and Rgm for taking the time to explain that one. I see now that the pics need shrinking b4 they are posted. Cheers. Shane

Edited by user Sunday, 7 August 2011 9:59:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 8 August 2011 5:33:15 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Ok, weve zapped the third and last playground in town. $7 in gold coins and 3 pendants. ( Took the young one with us again as the coverup, now she is addicted..) A few old nails and heaps of foil. There was heaps of bigger foil (i wonder why) in the far sandpit...lol. It is somewot of a buzz to dig/scrape up a shiny coin or pendant etc whilst detecting. When you first get a glimpse of that shiny silver... yip. Anyhow we are heading up north on holiday this week and yes.. ive got the detecting sites all marked out along the way. (Yesseree gonna have a good time). And going to buzz the beach when we get there. I am lucky that my better half likes detecting too. It quickly becomes a fun outing. So i will post our finds this wknd when we return.
The last Playground in town.

Shane

The Last Playground

Edited by user Sunday, 14 August 2011 10:11:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
oroplata  
Posted : Monday, 8 August 2011 7:09:03 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Quote:
my favorite two coins so far.

Now you just need to find the MACRO setting on your camera :)

I want to see a piccie of the left coin in focus - it looks like she's wearing a set of headphones. I'm looking for the matching iPod.

creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 14 August 2011 11:39:40 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post
Quote:

I want to see a piccie of the left coin in focus - it looks like she's wearing a set of headphones.
I'm looking for the matching iPod.

Lol. She is wearing some sort of floral hair net and an earing. It would be easier to google
the coin and have a look. Netherlands 1978 one cent piece.
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 14 August 2011 11:42:59 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post
Quote:

I want to see a piccie of the left coin in focus - it looks like she's wearing a set of headphones. I'm looking for the matching iPod.

Lol..She is wearing some sort of floral hair net. Easier to see if you google it. Norwegian 1978 one cent piece.
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 14 August 2011 12:30:27 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Hope you dont own any of these...

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Sunday, 14 August 2011 12:32:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 14 August 2011 12:38:03 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

We found ''Glory Lane'' at th beach.

UserPostedImage
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
oroplata  
Posted : Sunday, 14 August 2011 1:07:58 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Nice! You'll have the detector paid off in no time!

Shilo  
Posted : Sunday, 14 August 2011 4:32:39 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Great bunch of silver there! Keep hitting that Glory Lane again and again as it will keep producing until it sands in completely. I'm still hunting one I discovered a month ago - no more rings now but still getting silver pre-dec's. In fact I've just popped home from it to change batteries.

Take a look at http://islanddetecting.b.../analysing-goldmine.html Where I have posted pics of how my Glory Lane shifted and changed over time. Yours might do the same - but keep hunting around the general area as the shift is not always obvious.

Any markings on the "gold" ring? If you even suspect a gold ring, stick it in some cloudy ammonia for a couple of hours then wash in warm soapy water. This won't harm the ring (if it is gold) but will clean it up nicely. 9ct gold can look scungy if it has been buried in the sand for a long time.

What make is the watch?
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Sunday, 14 August 2011 5:19:20 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
took a look at your link there..very interesting info..will start watching our beaches like that to..lol
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 14 August 2011 6:07:02 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Shilo Go to Quoted Post
Take a look at http://islanddetecting.b.../analysing-goldmine.html Where I have posted pics of how my Glory Lane shifted and changed over time. Yours might do the same - but keep hunting around the general area as the shift is not always obvious.

An interesting read - thanks for sharing! I'm now subscribed to the RSS feed ;)
oroplata  
Posted : Monday, 15 August 2011 6:10:40 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Nice blog post Shilo. Some good comments there too.

The Police Sergeant on Waiheke is a 2nd cousin of mine, so you behave yourself! :)
oroplata  
Posted : Monday, 15 August 2011 8:55:40 AM(UTC)
oroplata

That bangle shown on http://islanddetecting.b...1/07/difficult-hunt.html looks interesting. I don't think it's Chinese. Looks like Devangari (used in Indo languages like Hindi). Usually Devangari has all the characters joined together so it looks like there's a solid line running through the top of the text. Can't do that so easy with separate pieces of metal I suppose.

I've put some feelers out to get it translated.

4 Pages<1234>