New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

4 Pages«<234
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 15 August 2011 9:45:49 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Wo, that bracelet is awesome Shilo. Worth the long 3 hour hunt. Did you find it straight away?
The watch i found was down in the low tide line about 4-5 inches. It came up as iron on the detector
i think from memory and it was heavily encrusted. An Olympic ladies watch, 30m quartz.
Gold plated i know cos me work mate was a jeweller, very handy.. There are no markings on
the goldy type ring. The plating has half worn off. Thought i found the big one when i pulled this
baby up... 11 stones on it...gold colour...right smack in the middle of Glory Lane...Nup, she was an
imitation, but the buzz of it all was choice. When i finally find SOLID gold it will be all the more
sweeter. Oh, we actually found 122 coins on our last trip, not 105 as we thort.
A familiar pik of wot i call Space Junk.

Shane

UserPostedImage
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 15 August 2011 10:05:47 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post
Nice! You'll have the detector paid off in no time!

I think i have about 85 dollars in gold coins so far. Saving it all up
for the big trip down south. If you dont save the spendable coins, then it
all seems a little worthless in some sence. Just my way of thinking. My
detector is turning into a precious thing i guess you could say. Well worth the
500 bucks i payed for it. At first i thort that certain persons around me would
put me on the nutcase for buying and using such an expensive machine/toy,
but no.. everyone seems happy about it..lucky me.. Now its "wot did you find today"
with a smile. Curiosity..

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 15 August 2011 2:13:02 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Thanks Oroplata, Any help in translation would be appreciated.

I had since narrowed it down to one of the Indo dialects but not to any particular one and as you said the top of the figures are normally joined but that would not have been possible for something that is made to be flexible like this cuff bracelet. That large gap is a missing figure so the writing will not be complete.
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 15 August 2011 2:18:22 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Don't forget that that space junk is worth something as well at a scrap metal yard. Amounts mount up quickly in this hobby - paid off the AT Pro in the first couple of months and the next 6 months paid off the V3i and all the diggers, pro-pointer etc. Its great having a hobby that pays for itself!

Even those old decimal coins that the bank won't take can be sent into the Reserve bank for a payout.

Looks like your hooked!
creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 16 August 2011 9:04:47 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Hooked is an understatement. Im planning trips in my sleep..lol I have neally 2 kilos of scrap now.
Im curious as to where on the beach you find most of your jewellery.. I found the rings and most
things at the top of the beach in the 1-2 meter mark from the edge. Like yourself i cant find natural gold so detecting must be the next best thing.

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 16 August 2011 1:44:03 PM(UTC)
Shilo

During the summer most of my finds were in the dry sand. My 1st gold ring was a recent drop in the dry - it went to the police station for a few months and came back. Also most of the modern coinage came from the dry as well. But I hadn't sussed out the detector that well and dry sand hunting is easier then the wet.

Now when we don't have the crowds on the beaches the vast majority come from either the wet sand or washouts and other highly eroded areas. With the wet sand I find the area where the beach changes angle from the steep high tide mark to the flat low tide area works the best. On all the beaches here there is an obvious area where the slop of the beach flattens out and it is along this "line" I seem to have the best luck.

This summer I will be heading into the water more at low tide to check that area out - once I get the AT Pro back that is.

creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 16 August 2011 7:41:58 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Yes, in the dry sand. Ive been looking at those dropoff points like you say and tryed a few,
I will keep trying them.
A pik of the nicer things ive found so far.

ShaneUserPostedImage
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 16 August 2011 7:47:46 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

The Ace 350, in its awesomeness, complete with salt spray/air cover (a sandwhich bag),
on location recently far north. P.S Im trying to resize the photos so that they are
smaller but its not working yet... hmmm

Shane

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Tuesday, 16 August 2011 7:51:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 16 August 2011 10:24:46 PM(UTC)
Shilo

LOL, that pic is very timely. I have just spent the evening making a fancy cover for the V3i pod out of neoprene with a clear plastic screen protector to allow me to hunt in the rain. Turned out well & I was proud of my efforts until I tried to put it on and realised I had made it much too tight. Then decided to change tactic and go for the state of the art option - a sandwich bag........ :)
creamer  
Posted : Wednesday, 17 August 2011 12:57:44 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Go the sandwhich bag. Two great minds think alike. lol. Shame about the cover. Oh i see my picture resizing does work. They came on large when i put them on... now they are smaller!! All good then. I did just find jewellers marks on the goldy type ring. They are very small. Looks like a spade, like ace of spades, and another tiny stamp a bit like the letter B. Have been cleaning the ring up bit by bit and thats how i found the tiny marks. Never knew jewellery could be so interesting.

Shane
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Wednesday, 17 August 2011 5:09:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Wednesday, 17 August 2011 5:25:05 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

A token haul for an hour or so at a local beach. Id say this beach has been done over ,
maybe not , but i found some down one corner. 4.70 in spendable coins, an earing, a broken piece of butterfly wing i think and some old coin.
Shane
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Wednesday, 17 August 2011 5:28:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 21 August 2011 9:16:47 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Another small haul after an hour and a half at a northland beach. Really need 4-6 hours to work a beach to a reosonable level, maybe.. 4 in gold coins, half a key and heaps of rusty old nails.. Notice how the new 50 and 10 cent pieces rust because they have iron in them.

Shane
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Sunday, 21 August 2011 9:38:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 21 August 2011 9:23:35 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

The locals mite be happy if they seen wot we fished out of there beach. And this is just some of them.. We just stopped digging all the iron in the end. Not to mention tin and alluminium..
Happy hunting
ShaneUserPostedImage
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 August 2011 7:45:12 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Have u seen me shovel. Serated adge and all.
ShaneUserPostedImage
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 25 August 2011 1:17:21 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

My Glory Jar full day two on a recent trip.

Shane
UserPostedImage
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
mem  
Posted : Thursday, 25 August 2011 8:19:27 PM(UTC)
mem

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Looks like some nice finds creamer,well done.
Mem
kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 25 August 2011 10:22:19 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Your doing well Shane. Good for you. Keep it up.

Happy hunting

JW :)
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 27 August 2011 9:50:46 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Cheers guys. I havent found alot really, just toying around with wot i got so far.. Im really enjoying this new fossicking venture, just wot i needed to occupy my brain and time instead of the usual daily habits... and theres a small reward at the end of most events. Wait till i fing G, yeh, the posts will intensify..lol Hopefully i will find G before Crissyboy (bro)..lol again

Shane

'' Attention fellow fossickers''
Please check out my new page (Shanes Page) under the heading ''Treasures''

Edited by user Wednesday, 7 September 2011 10:02:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
4 Pages«<234