New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

roman holiday  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 April 2010 4:51:02 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi all, I've been wondering lately when the optimum time for fossicking would be. The obvious factor of course is the season, but I've also heard about nuisances such as sandflies. What about tourists? Is there a period where tourist/ tramper numbers are higher and cause a problem... when you are furtively seeking out the remoter areas.

Cheers in advance. Thanks again all for sharing your pics, time and experience. Awesome stuff!:)
roman holiday  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 April 2010 5:00:05 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Forgot to mention floods/ high water etc!
kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 29 April 2010 3:20:19 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:24:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roman holiday  
Posted : Thursday, 29 April 2010 4:46:11 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Cheers JW, not disheartening at all. Rather, quite encouraging. I'm thinking of starting my fossicking adventures around the top of the South Island at the end of this coming summer.... as a complete greenhorn I'm guessing the more I learn and prepare for, the more satisfying the experience will be. i wonder if I can talk the olds into letting me use their campervan for a few months......

At the moment, I'm thinking that the use of a camper would be good for a base, where you could from there strike out into more remote areas.
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 29 April 2010 4:52:04 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi there Roman Holiday,

Sandflies - NZ's best kept secret! :P

One thing that's got to be said about colder weather for fossicking - a hell of a lot less sandflies... I spent a weekend last May scratching around in Slab Hut Creek. Decided to see how good my sleeping bag would be for tramping and so spent the night sleeping in the back of my car. Apparently it wasn't really that adequate - spent a very chilly night shivering away. Woke up in the night to discover ice had formed on the inside of the windows and was told in the morning by some camper van types that it had dropped down to -6 degrees that night. I've now upgraded my sleeping bag! But one great thing - all that frost killed off the sandflies so it was a very pleasant day the next day wading around up and down the creek.

Unfortunately if you're in any sort of water you tend to splash off patches of insect repellent you might have applied and those sandflies are guaranteed to find the spots! However I do find that wearing polyprops is great at keeping them at bay. They cover up your exposed arms and legs nicely and dry out very quickly - always scoffed at the kiwi's I saw wearing polyprops with shorts and t-shirts, but it's all become very clear now! :P

Gav ;)
gavin attached the following image(s):
Slab Hut Creek.jpg
roman holiday  
Posted : Thursday, 29 April 2010 5:03:52 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Thanks Gavin. Whoa... that does look cold. Maybe you could consider upgrading the car to a camper also :).... that way you could have a bit of comfort after doing the hard yards in the river. I like the idea of being on the west coast when it starts to get cooler... if that means there is less sandflies. I haven't really experienced it for myself, but you always hear the horror stories about west coast sand-flies. I guess it is something you need to experience for yourself..... even if it was extremely annoying, I'm sure my burgeoning gold fever would more than meet the challenge. :)
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 29 April 2010 5:34:35 PM(UTC)
gavin

Funny you should say that... I have upgraded now, not to a camper but recently to a big 1992 4WD Nissan Safari Grandwagon - looking forward to getting a bit further off the beaten track. Well, at least off the asphalt! :P Figured it'd give me better access to areas. Thinking of making a platform for the back so I can stick a mattress on the top and all my gear underneath ;)

Been having a good play on the 4WD tracks around here around the rivers - lots of fun. Already got it stuck in some deepish muddy water but managed to get out by jamming old tree branches under the wheels to give them something to grip on to. Think I need some decent mud tyres!
kiwisouth  
Posted : Friday, 30 April 2010 3:15:09 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Yep looked pretty cool. I bought my wife a silk liner for her Macpac sleeping bag. Gives an extra grade and you can wash that easier than the bag.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
roman holiday  
Posted : Friday, 30 April 2010 3:43:40 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Yep, a 4WD looks like the way to go. Check out this landcruiser which doubles asacamper... posted today on trademe:

UserPostedImage

http://www.trademe.co.nz...es/auction-287331914.htm

gavin  
Posted : Friday, 30 April 2010 4:32:29 PM(UTC)
gavin

The best of both worlds! Just beware of low bridges ;)