New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages<123
Foiled again  
Posted : Friday, 24 October 2014 3:01:19 PM(UTC)
Foiled again

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 192 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post
Amazing find man, truly amazing. How much was the average yearly wage in 1860? What percentage would 4 and a half sovs be of that? Like you said, it must have been a huge loss to someone.

In 1860 James Mackay bought most of Westland from the Maori for 300 sovereigns, so 4 and a half woulda bought a fair amount of land in Canterbury in those very early days I bet!!!
There's another to find and I'm gunna find it!
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Thursday, 30 October 2014 10:40:52 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Just wondering what detector you're using. Also do you use a pointer, if so what brand/model?
Cheers
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
sycotoad  
Posted : Saturday, 1 November 2014 2:18:38 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Hi No 8 - I was going to respond to this post yesterday when I first read it but I was just too blown away - In all honesty it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy - I just don't have the words to express what it is you have presented -

UN-Believable - WoW - Wicked - Far out - too much - who's your daddy and all that

I have always classed myself as a coin hunter first & foremost so it is without question that I now regard you as a 'God' when it comes to metal detecting - Am I jealous? - Nah, however you have now inspired me to keep hunting with wishful thoughts -

This is truly an amazing discovery that should be on our local NEWS -

I was wondering if it would be ok with you if I could put this thread up on Friendly Metal Detecting Forum in the USA for you No 8?

One more thing to consider without taking the gloss off your treasure, but don't be shocked if CRAFT (cant remember a fcuking thing) Key turns up to get his gold, as it appears this Govt is that anal

Good on you man - you are now officially a fcuking 'LEGEND' as this story WILL be told to those I help get into this hobby -
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
number8wire  
Posted : Saturday, 1 November 2014 9:36:36 PM(UTC)
number8wire

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 880 time(s) in 425 post(s)
Ummmm...not sure what to say. Feeling very humble right now.
Thank you so much for your kind words sycotoad.
Like you, I'm just out there spending as much time as I can enjoying this awesome hobby we share. Never dreamed of a find as epic as this. It wasn't like I had researched the area or anything like that....just walked over the right spot on the day....THAT could happen to any of us.
More than happy for you to add this thread to the US site if you like. The more inspiration and motivation I can give back to my fellow hobbyists in the world wide community, the better.
A "God" of metal detecting....I doubt that very much....lol. Just out there enjoying our beautiful country, it's rich and colourful history and it's great and diverse people.
GL & HH to all.
TEKNETICS T2 SE plus X-POINTER
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 2 November 2014 2:29:48 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Thanks man - I am sure everyone who reads this are as happy for you as I am

I cannot believe the buzz it has given me let alone YOU - Your gold dance must have resembled a full on disco lol

Until your next epic find No 8 thank you & happy hunting :) -

Just WoW ..........

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
3 Pages<123