New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

10 Pages123>»
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 28 August 2011 1:46:04 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi all
any new findings relating to gold and the history on the coast i will post on this page

as i spend 2 to 3 days a week gold hunting i do come up with little snippets from time to time
kiwikeith  
Posted : Monday, 29 August 2011 7:13:46 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

spent yesterday looking up the "whareatea river" which flows of the denniston map refer
5378649n
1495309e
found and old drive in the side of the bank about 100m up stream from the main road bridge on the true left apart from some cave whetas not to much there
it must be recent as in the 1930s to 40s as the old slice box pegs were driven in the parpa floor with steel spikes. found out it was washed out 5 or 6 years back and 21oz taken out of fine gold
aparantly the terrace up top was where the workings were and every thing was moved down the tunnel into the sluice box for washing

just another westcoast story
overdog  
Posted : Tuesday, 30 August 2011 4:22:10 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Keep em coming Keith! As an ex pat Pom I love the coast-could quite happily shift out there tomorrow.

Just waiting for those 6 little numbers...
kiwikeith  
Posted : Tuesday, 30 August 2011 7:13:53 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi overdog
i have 6 little numbers in my bank account all the same"0" perhaps that is why i live on the coast
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 30 August 2011 7:52:39 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
I look forward to your stories KK.
Perhaps some pictures too would be really good if you have the gear.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 31 August 2011 8:20:55 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

trying to post photo
File Attachment(s):
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 1 September 2011 7:55:35 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

now i got the hang of loading pictures
this is my slice box driven by a 6.5hp with 1100lt per min pump up grading this season to 9.5hp with1800 lt
the photo above is the dredge working on my claim
retension is 80% in the top half of box with a punch plate classifier plate over top
riffles are made of 4mm aliminium and sorry no i dont get beaching build up where it widens out
the top set of riffles are able to be removed independant so as samples can be taken. the hole system is adjustable at 3 points to give angle on the box appropreate to the grade of sands and gravel
oh yea its a 5" power jet system made at mywork

heres a thought
im prepared to lease out my claim for $100 per day for a dredge or $150 for a weekend
so you dont have a dredge the $25 per day for a slice box

yes i know im going to get grive over this from all tight asses but hey who the one with the claim thats gets good gold (up to 15grms on my best day)

Edited by user Thursday, 1 September 2011 8:08:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
garrymac  
Posted : Thursday, 1 September 2011 10:03:35 PM(UTC)
garrymac

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)
HI Kiwik, those that moan about that price should far far-- frk off,and stick to their flourgold hunting. I was in Hector at easter visiting and a bit of a look around liked what i saw. I would be quite happy to pay 150 bucks for a weekend dredgeing on claim,but its a long way to drag my dredge over from dunners. Will keep in mind for next trip over, i,ll be your boy for a day just to have a crack at one of those coast rivers, still hav,nt decided where this xmas hols will be might be be your place??????

Edited by user Thursday, 1 September 2011 10:04:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: attach photos

File Attachment(s):
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 11 September 2011 3:41:25 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

nothing to much new just some photos of my slice box that may help someone

1. since my box is wide (careful) i have made a aliuminim flue that bolts and hages on the end. i wash when i get home it makes it easier and you dont have to rush it, note the suds a little squirt of detugent to take the oil out of the water it stops the smal gold floating

2. showing my punch plate that fits at the top end of the box it stops the rocks jamming and helps the gold settle. 80% of gold is retained in the top narrow piece

3. note the different type of riffles on the top half of box all basicly different, also how the riffles are hinged this area of the box is the sample to see if you are wasting time
what i havnt shown is the black rubber mat at the very top 100mm this is to tell at a glance if there is yellow colour you dont have to wash to see if its worth staying put
to operate a box this size one needs a min of 1000lts per min

sorry not a great story this week but it may help members trying to nut out slice box assembling
rember one slice box dose not work every where
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 11 September 2011 3:44:21 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

nothing to much new just some photos of my slice box that may help someone

1. since my box is wide (careful) i have made a aliuminim flue that bolts and hages on the end. i wash when i get home it makes it easier and you dont have to rush it, note the suds a little squirt of detugent to take the oil out of the water it stops the smal gold floating

2. showing my punch plate that fits at the top end of the box it stops the rocks jamming and helps the gold settle. 80% of gold is retained in the top narrow piece

3. note the different type of riffles on the top half of box all basicly different, also how the riffles are hinged this area of the box is the sample to see if you are wasting time
what i havnt shown is the black rubber mat at the very top 100mm this is to tell at a glance if there is yellow colour you dont have to wash to see if its worth staying put
to operate a box this size one needs a min of 1000lts per min

sorry not a great story this week but it may help members trying to nut out slice box assembling
rember one slice box dose not work every where
crisyboy  
Posted : Sunday, 11 September 2011 10:11:11 PM(UTC)
crisyboy

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
this is my slice box driven by a 6.5hp with 1100lt per min pump up grading this season to 9.5hp with1800 lt
retension is 80% in the top half of box with a punch plate classifier plate over top
riffles are made of 4mm aliminium and sorry no i dont get beaching build up where it widens out
the top set of riffles are able to be removed independant so as samples can be taken. the hole system is adjustable at 3 points to give angle on the box appropreate to the grade of sands and gravel

heres a thought
im prepared to lease out my claim for $100 per day for a dredge or $150 for a weekend

yes i know im going to get grive over this from all tight asses but hey who the one with the claim thats gets good gold (up to 15grms on my best day)

i would be keen for that.
crisyboy  
Posted : Sunday, 11 September 2011 10:13:49 PM(UTC)
crisyboy

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Originally Posted by: garrymac Go to Quoted Post
HI Kiwik, those that moan about that price should far far-- frk off,and stick to their flourgold hunting. I was in Hector at easter visiting and a bit of a look around liked what i saw. I would be quite happy to pay 150 bucks for a weekend dredgeing on claim,but its a long way to drag my dredge over from dunners. Will keep in mind for next trip over, i,ll be your boy for a day just to have a crack at one of those coast rivers, still hav,nt decided where this xmas hols will be might be be your place??????

reikos gold? are u japanese.
garrymac  
Posted : Sunday, 11 September 2011 10:45:21 PM(UTC)
garrymac

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hay kiwik,i use the same punch plate but bend it up and down to generate a wave action just like the proline classifier, the bottom needs to float freely so that it jigs up and down ,just like a whale tail waving. These pulse,s seem to help the heavies drop out sooner, mainly in the top 3 riffles. Reiko is not got a hint of oriental blood, all good kiwi propecting stock
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 18 September 2011 9:51:43 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

that time of the week again when i must post a story not to much this weekend
but here is one to tempt the taste buds and get you all out there

this baby was found in the waiangaroa river just up streeam from the cons creek the waimang as know here is north of westport by about 20 km found using a 6" underwater dredge
weigh in at at 18grms
kiwikeith attached the following image(s):
gold nugget.jpg
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 18 September 2011 10:28:55 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Very nice. Well done. Good to see a nice chunky piece. Thanks for sharing.

JW :)
chrischch  
Posted : Monday, 19 September 2011 2:46:00 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Great thread. makes me want to get over there asap! That is a very reasonable offer too. I would happily pay that for a decent site.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
madsonicboating  
Posted : Monday, 19 September 2011 4:18:47 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)

heres a thought

I don;t have a dredge yet but I'd be happy to pay just to get access to do some panning and sluicing....hell its just good getting out somewhere different. Keen on something like that? Can pay cash, home brew spirits, or both :-D

OR if someone else was keen and had the gear I'd love to help in order to learn a few things...I'm not the greatest of thinkers but i'm kown for lifting heavy shit :)

Dan

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 19 September 2011 4:53:35 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)

heres a thought

I note Kiwikeiths offer here and think that for $100 per day where else can you get a days freedom, fun and the chance of a return for your money...I think that is a generous offer and especially when you take into account the fact that you can blow that amount of money in a fair ground, racetrack or pub in no time and have nothing to show for it!

It also takes very little gold to achieve the return equal to the financial outlay - I know that back in 1984 if I was to lease out our richest claim I would have wanted around $300 per day and that was quarter of a century ago.

I think Kiwikeiths offer is pretty good all things considered.

The other advantages of his offer are that you have a claim to go to and you are not restricted to one of the Public fossicking areas - of which there are only ten percent or less of what there should be.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Monday, 19 September 2011 7:12:54 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

just to put things right the nugget didnt come from my claim

but look at this lot 2 oz of gold its of the claim over 8 to 10 weekends
had a bad weekend last weekend and only got 1 grm so dont all get your hopes up of getting rich
im trying to open up some new ground and finding that bed rock is deeper than i thought

mind you i didnt spend all weekend in the water had to take the rifle for a walk to show it a deer

just email me if you want to book a weekend you will get colour

kiwikeith attached the following image(s):
gold on plate.jpg
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 21 September 2011 10:50:13 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Keith passed on this video of his dredge in action to upload.

Some nice pieces of gold in that last photo you posted Keith - how much do the larger pieces tend to weigh?

Cheers,
Gav :)

Edited by user Wednesday, 21 September 2011 10:55:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
10 Pages123>»