New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

10 Pages<1234>»
1864hatter  
Posted : Thursday, 22 September 2011 9:07:36 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Hey kiwikeith thanks for taking the time to do your weekly posts. they are allways great to read

And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 22 September 2011 9:35:06 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
i will try to keep it up
the larger pieces about 10 in all weighed in at 12grams and i took them into a jeweller and got them mounted in a necklace for caz (my wife and rock mover, coffee maker tea cooker but best of all tells me when to get out of the river because ive turn blue)

kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 24 September 2011 8:23:52 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

this weeks story

aliitle before my time and not on the west coast taken from a new book just purchased "mineral wealth of nz" got of nice picture of a large gold nugget on the front cover so had to have it not to much on gold mining but

" alluvial gold was retrived using sheepskins 3000 years ago in greece. the river sands washed over the skins which trapped the gold in their greasy wool fibres the golden fleece in the greek legend of jason and the argonauts."

page 5

spent morning down at charleston but most of the area is now over grown still some of the history was interesting maybe another day when its not raining.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 29 September 2011 6:06:51 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

how about a mid week story
went up the waimea creek at the junction of sh5 down coast road and sh5 up the bullar gorge
found some old workings one tunnel and alot of water races been cut over bush 100 odd years ago there may be some interesting detecting to be done
on fresh map nztm e1482029, n5367819 if interested in looking i could get more detailed
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 October 2011 9:23:22 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

this weeks mid week update

found today mine drive 2 infact side by side
this time i gps e1483663 n5370443 nztm elevatiom 11m
of course one will know where that is if you were to punch in the coordinates

found on the side of an old bush road keep a record and plot them on a geological map to see if there is a pattern forming in the soil types

this time these were driven into a parpa base rock with single above
will keep you all posted on other finds while out exploring
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 13 October 2011 6:00:06 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

todays find

up thw waimea creek nztm e 1482128 n 5369434

for all the metal dectecting followers

i found an old pile of bricks looked like a foundation for a fire place of a house there was sign of gold workings in the area with a water race up stream on the true left this is on private land so permsion will need to be gained there are no tracks in the area so you do need bush skills

kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 6 November 2011 3:17:48 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

sorry folks about the stories been a bit slow
spending some time up the nile river almost made it to the hole in the hill shot a couple of goats good curry and dog tucker found an old water race not to sure weather for sawmilling or gold

here is this weeks story a believe it or not

washing down my concrete drive yesterday, and hear at the end of the sandy dirt pile were some very fine traces of gold
my mate lives up powerhouse road and got some shingle for his drive from the local contractor,
a bit rusty looking so he pan some out to find small flakes of gold got about a gram
sort of pays for the shingle

heading up to larrys creek for ten days so see what happens up there

and no you can not dig up our drive ways
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Sunday, 6 November 2011 4:27:54 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Good story specially the last line. :-)
HH
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 17 November 2011 11:30:18 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

after 10 days in the hills round reefton north

BOATMANS
at the gate to the doc car park ref e1510408 n5342364 there is a drive covered with a little rubbish
up the hill east of the opencast coal mine is the biggest find of interest mine drives all over the place e1511528 n5342490 thereare stacked rocks even a water race running down ontop of the ridge if going in this area be careful of shafts

down valley at coal creek there is an old dam at the back of the coal mine because of locked gates it is better coming from the boatmans side ref e511528 n5343490
there is water races round the hill with old benches that at one time would have been a road there are mine shafts and workings every where

2 mine drives at e 1511054 n 5343664 i have flaged these with red tape so as not to fall in

more ref later in the next postings

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 17 November 2011 1:24:38 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
looks great Keith and also makes me realise that my gear is somewhat antiquated and archaic as I am still using some of the same gear my uncle used in the 1960s. The modern setups seem so much better as they are lighter and more compact.

It also makes me get awful itchy feet and so I am quite sure that within the next few days I will be heading for the tall timber...well tall tussocks...no I tell a lie...the tall gorse!

One of the forum members is up at my place at the moment and his dredging system is also a real cracker but there must be too much of the Scottish in me as I seem to be too poor to upgrade while sitting counting gold nuggets but not prepared to sell them to buy more gear.

Good one Keith and may we see many more of your photos and videos.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 17 November 2011 5:01:52 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi folks here are some more interesting findings

ITALIAN CREEK
A heap of workings in this area stacked rocks , mine drives, sluice faces, water races etc
map ref e 1510774 n5344360
could be worth a visit with a detector

YORK CREEK
REF E 1580848 N 5357524 THERE WAS A EXTENSIVE WALL OF STACKED ROCKS

WINDING CREEK
E 1511831 N 5357434 a large water race once again lots of workings in this case on private proporty so permsion will need to be sorted

ramdon water race e1509384 n 5344904

these areas are in thick bush an basic bush craft will need to be used in some cases there are old benched tracks that used to be roads but considering these are 100year old workings bush has growen

more imfo can be given if you desire to visit these areas
GoldnNuggz  
Posted : Thursday, 17 November 2011 9:55:34 PM(UTC)
GoldnNuggz

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Nice posting, love the gold you have found, you must be having heaps of fun with all your exploring!
kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 18 November 2011 8:24:23 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

yes heaps of fun when its not raining hills are getting higher gorse thicker and bones and body slower must be something to do with age

heading back up for another 10 days on mon walking the hills between iron bridge in the buller and coal creek so thats going to be interesting
spent some time up the waitahu but nothing to show gold workings in tha area
on the top of the hill is the old working with a ghost town, cable way (still in place ) and the stamper up the montgomerie river
kerwins hill and hut a 5 hour walk in on a benched bridel track
rating on interest value would be 9 out 10 with history every where one looks
worth a detect if one can be bothered carrying it all the way
chrischch  
Posted : Sunday, 20 November 2011 4:29:29 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
If only I had the money to come over there for longer........I'd love to see all that stuff let alone find some colour.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 20 November 2011 5:36:54 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

for those that were or maybe going to met me at the claim on sun sorry
had a bad run left home at 6 got a blowout on the trailer (had a spare) started to rain so caz and i went for a walk up the waitahu river instead
will let you know next trip up the buller next week between coal creek and the iron bridge then caz wants to do the xmas shopping thingy in chch so will be a while before i may get back
mineforgold.co.nz  
Posted : Monday, 21 November 2011 8:50:21 PM(UTC)
mineforgold.co.nz

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
The gold will have moved around again today - looks a tad damp down that way!
Own: Lobo SuperTraq, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Excalibur
chrischch  
Posted : Tuesday, 22 November 2011 2:02:51 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Yeah looks pretty flooded on the news. Keep safe over there kiwikeith!
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Tuesday, 22 November 2011 5:21:28 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

HI FOLKS yes it rained but i live in a rain forest so say no more
most of todays plans were shot down due to rivers up but

YORK CREEK
e1507959 n5347545 refer to before so i went back there are water races, stone walls, slice faces, and an old road

the problem is access would be easy if i could walk across the farmers back yard but hes not that approchable so one has to go round the top through the foresty there is a lock gate that gets locked at 5.00 approx steep walk into the creek be ok for a slice box maybe a detect

im going to investigate further see if i can find a better way so will keep you all posted

hope fully the rivers drop hawks crag in the buller (for those that know) water was only 2m from the road. roads closed and tracks washed out had to build a crossing at one creek to get the quad through
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 1 December 2011 6:10:44 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

here we go again with this weeks story
back from the bush and already stirred up a hornets nest

buller gorge upper iron bridge the one with the traffic lights on
put the pan in the creek on the north end while waiting for my mate to come out of the bush yes there is gold there maybe worth a stop when passing

the buller river at the bridge takes a large sweep i was told that the old timers tunneled through the bend to divert the river (same as the shotover) the earthquake took the tunnel out

will get some more imfo out of my diary later
kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 2 December 2011 2:59:06 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

OREGANS ROAD
COAL CREEK
WINDING CREEK water race e 1511838 n 5357423
this was an interesting find as there was no indication of gold mining in the area nice parpa bottom
asked the farmer what it was all about and yes the chinaman had mined the area there was even some of his foundations in the area from there houses didnt find them there is still gold there he told me but said no to any access for panning his boys did it all wouldnt even allow me to cross his proporty for hunting hey thats alright its his place still great to access for tramping and looking round

BROWN CREEK
next creek north not at all interesting the farmer tryed with a digger and founds stuff all so he said

ROUGH CREEK
e 1515598 n 5361656
once through the blackberry and gorse the creek opens up to a wide flat valley no signs of mining in the area but at the coordinates the river flows over a large parpa bottom with lots of holes and slots didnt find much colour although there was gold there if interested i do know the farmers name etc so as you could contact him

and yes it has been raining over here but what the river gives it also takes away hate to think what my hole is like at the claim no dout filled back in so will have to start again
10 Pages<1234>»