New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

10 Pages«<23456>»
crushit  
Posted : Saturday, 10 March 2012 1:24:05 PM(UTC)
crushit

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
It is a nice area,spent a little bit of time hunting round there years ago its changed a lot since the whole area was logged. The big waterace up there is quite impressive. Must get back up there and have a look around some time.Do you live in maruia village?.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 10 March 2012 4:53:27 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi crushit
i live in hector you should know where that is from where you live perhaps we should catch up to compare notes
been to diggers creek about 5 years ago with a4" keen i had at the time there is gold there also tried up station creek a few speecks but not enough to entice me back
consider this
there is gold in the aidda pell alfred station diggers mccoy rivers that i have seen have a look on the map and get back to me
on what you think is comman to all these hint where does it come from

good deer up diggers got one a couple of years ago nice saddle into the mccoy river

cheers kiwikeith
jafa  
Posted : Saturday, 10 March 2012 7:07:16 PM(UTC)
jafa

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi keithy...
I was looking at that alloy dredge you had in that pic beside the keene....is that a old 4" dredgenz dredge...?
Thanks i like reading you post,s to.....though more pic,s would be great:))....i like photo,s of different places!
Cheers.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 10 March 2012 7:56:18 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

hi jafa
my mates one is a 6" keen mine is a dredge nz with bigger pontoons to handle the faster water its wider as well as longer i have also added a couple more riffles in the box its run by a 6.5hp motor with a 1100lt/min pump although i feel its not sucky enough need to go to a 9.5 hp with the big keen pump 1800lts maybe next year

will try for more photos dont seem to take many theses days thanks for the feed back
crushit  
Posted : Sunday, 11 March 2012 9:30:57 AM(UTC)
crushit

Man

Hi Keith ,I have met you.I was at the conservation board meeting in Reefton when they were discussing the future of blackadderes hut on frazers flat at the pell stream. I used to go in there hunting occasionally and used the track as a shortcut to lake daniells.As to your question about where the gold came from in the area most would have come from reefs eroded in the ranges in the past I would asume.You are probably aware that there was a quartz reef worked on the ridge to the west of your claim in a tributary of reid stream. There is a 4wd track goes right to the mine from the maruia river side but the landowner at reids creek does not normally give people access. There are a number of creeks either side of the main rang between the maruia and matakitaki that have gold in them and most have extensive alluvial workings.I have been in the glenroy, matakitaki, rapahannock, digggers and alfred areas areas but there does not appear to be a lot of historical information apart from a few newspaper clippings from the 1870s on.Went to the maruia area a number of times with an old miner from reefton in the 1970s and he had an amazing amount of knowledge of the whole place.I was his packhorse and carried out samples of quartz for him from all round the reefton area.I was up the pell stream recently but do not own a dredge so im not your phantom poacher.Met some doc people in there who were chasing tagged bats around with ascanner. Will actch up with you some time when i get a chance.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 11 March 2012 12:41:49 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi crushit
re meeting doc agreed at the meeting to leave hut as is but since have reneged and decidedto turn it into a shelter (what ever that means) i supose its better than pulling it down the carpet , armchairs and single bed have been removed also have had instruction to remove the double bed that i put in there or else it will be burnt what ever spins there wheels they always have the last say i will just have to go back to tenting

yes i did know about the claim up the hill gold was found while two hunters were hunting and slipped on some moss exsposing
the quartz with gold

you are right about the imformation i have gathered some over the years but there is a lack of written stuff

hope to catch up with you some time again
cheers keith

ps doc do know who the 2" dredge belongs to that they removed from the bank just that the person hasnt come forward to claim it i wounder why not

Edited by user Sunday, 11 March 2012 12:44:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

crushit  
Posted : Sunday, 11 March 2012 2:59:03 PM(UTC)
crushit

Man

Thanks for the update on the hut Keith.Pity they cant just leave things as they were.The only real thing of interest I have seen about frazers flat was a article written by a reporter for the inangahua times in 1896. He visited frazers flat and the three miners working there had been there for 20 years mining the area.They were well established and had good gardens and fruit trees in there as access in and out of the place was not very good.Their names were mr.Butler ,Pell and Frazer so that is where some of the names come from. There was more mining done in there during the depression and I think that is when the blackadder familly became involved as they have had a hut of some sort in there since 1930.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 11 March 2012 3:52:39 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

thats interesting hence the rasberry canes in the area that doc spreaded and killed they forgot to do the wragwort
i was told it was chinese miners in the area hence the stacked stone walls up the gorge
wounder who dug the water race on the terrace above the hut also across the river from the hut there are water races and test holes not forgetting the big water race on the track to pell stream hut that supplied water to the sluice faces below the track
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 12 March 2012 7:06:04 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi guys, Very interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. I love the history of places too.
MMMMmmm.....DOC, love them or hate them thay have their own aggenda that is for sure. They certainly do what suits them.
Good luck out there

JW :)
crushit  
Posted : Monday, 12 March 2012 7:47:55 PM(UTC)
crushit

Man

Ihavnt seen all the workings up the gorge Keith but I would imagine 3fit guys working in there for twenty or more years would shift a lot of dirt. quite a lot of work may have been done in there in the depression years.If I come across any more info I will pass it on.It is amazing what these early diggers achieved with the tools they had at there disposal.It is a shame that some of these guys did not keep diarys of there work but I suppose they were all to busy digging gold.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 23 March 2012 5:09:25 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

up date time
photo of a lump of coral that i broke of a larger chunk (lump and chunk are geological terms?)
note some how my last 3 days work has appeared in the photo
back to the coral it was found in the head of omoto creek behind greymouth rather interesting how it got there as there is no coral in the sea on the coast. was it carried there by the old people? maybe alliens. dont get carried away its only coral

File Attachment(s):
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 23 March 2012 5:36:08 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
up date time
photo of a lump of coral that i broke of a larger chunk (lump and chunk are geological terms?)
note some how my last 3 days work has appeared in the photo
back to the coral it was found in the head of omoto creek behind greymouth rather interesting how it got there as there is no coral in the sea on the coast. was it carried there by the old people? maybe alliens. dont get carried away its only coral

Could your Coral be water sculpted limestone?

Well done on the gold.

MK
kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 23 March 2012 5:49:25 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

so thats what it is thanks
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 23 March 2012 6:11:09 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
so thats what it is thanks

Go on you just wanted to show us your gold eh? lol :-))
kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 23 March 2012 7:08:40 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

snapped

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 23 March 2012 7:58:32 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
I knew a woman called Coral once but she didnt look like your coral...I like the gold Keith...come to think of it I like ALL gold...ps David took a big long walk out you know where and took along Greg (Guardian) - Greg found a few bullets, relics of long forgotten wars - David I thought would have got half an ounce to an ounce and got only 1 gramme. I got a gramme where I took you but gave it to the chaps who came down from Waimate...I got more in the hut paddock next day!

Now you have me interested in coral - I have found fossil coral before - most of it solitary coral and not big chunks like you have found - I like it.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 23 March 2012 8:20:26 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi graeme heading up to the claim in the morning for the day the rivers running very cold i think winter has started on the tops most likely be my last serious trip for the season working a great hole at present thats only about 500mm to bed rock when the suns out you can see the gold sitting on the bottom it terrible
spent the last 10 days walking from the new road cutting by springs junction through to blacks point through the bush all the way heaps of wasps in fact stood on 3 nests last week resulting in over 20 stings never mind had the old rusty needle with me
caz is alittle concered so went out and brought me a bee suit so if you see a wiedo walking through the bush you will know who it is
no sign of any workings all the way interesting

good old house paddock still paying well you may have worked that other spot out told you you need to come my way

cheers keith
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 23 March 2012 9:19:53 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
hi graeme heading up to the claim in the morning for the day the rivers running very cold i think winter has started on the tops most likely be my last serious trip for the season working a great hole at present thats only about 500mm to bed rock when the suns out you can see the gold sitting on the bottom it terrible
spent the last 10 days walking from the new road cutting by springs junction through to blacks point through the bush all the way heaps of wasps in fact stood on 3 nests last week resulting in over 20 stings never mind had the old rusty needle with me
caz is alittle concered so went out and brought me a bee suit so if you see a wiedo walking through the bush you will know who it is
no sign of any workings all the way interesting

good old house paddock still paying well you may have worked that other spot out told you you need to come my way

cheers keith

Now that sounds great about the gold you are finding - great going. Yes I must get over there but will wait until I have a diesel as the tank costs me $115 average just to go to Waimate and back.

I remember in NZFS days the large numbers of wasp nests in behind Ashley near the base of My Grey - and that was back in 1969 - the little sods will destroy the food source of all the nectar eaters one day and that will be another group of birds gone.

Never seen a wasp up at my place - theres a bees nest across in the timber I have stored in the shed.

I hope the bee suit isnt black otherwise you might get taken for Darth Vader.

You just reminded me that years ago in the 1970s an elderly chap gave me a map indicating great gold in to the south of Blacks Point...I must see if I still have it and if so will let you know.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 April 2012 8:26:48 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi there all
as most know i have a claim in the lewis pass area

im woundering how many would be interested in a FREE weekend up there with sluice boxes and pans only ( no dredges)
go up on a sat and out sun a evening around the camp fire having a couple of what ever
a family weekend away kids welcome
be a chance for those that are uncertain about things to maybe bounce off others with ideas

could you if interested post a reply and give an idea of preferred weekend

cheers
chchfossiker  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 April 2012 8:31:20 PM(UTC)
chchfossiker

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
sounds like a fun weekend keith and generous.

is there any detecting and crevicing to be had in the region.
10 Pages«<23456>»