New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

10 Pages«<45678>»
Nugget-Hunter  
Posted : Sunday, 17 June 2012 12:10:02 AM(UTC)
Nugget-Hunter

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Hi Kiwikeith
i thoroughly enjoy your posts, as i have lived the last 7 years in Greymouth chasing the elusive yellow and know most of the places you posting about. I have a few unfinished projects and one of them is the Punakaiki headwaters where one side creek calls Deadman Creek. Do you know which one it is? I have been in the headwatwers several times and have found a nice 2 gram bean and some campsides with bottles from the 30ies and one from the 80ies high up above the water. But i have never found the remains of the stone hut which spouse to be well above from the water.
Anyway, by the size of your suction dredge you would probably do well up the Ten Mile north of Greymouth. I managed 2 grams of flood gold per qubic meter without hitting bottom with my 2 inch dredge on a number of places. I found it was too much hard work as i had to shovel every thing down to a golf ball size.
By the way have you tried the two Maori Creeks up the Mokihinui? i know the Hodges is claimed and the Hennessy is barren.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 12 July 2012 6:37:18 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
sorry folks its been awhile since last post but heres a good one

the tichborne creek (location over the ridge west from the lyell ) i found out carried more gold than the lyell the only reason there is no imformation is that it was destroyed in the local post office fire. access very differcult ask the land owner at new creek then follow the creek up through the gorge where there are 3 waterfalls takes awhile to get round because the sides are so steep . once in the gorge you can not climb out.
where the tichborne joins new creek theres a old town on the terrace called china town if in the area be carfull of mine shafts that are now over growen. time to the junction about 4 hours for me one way.

the next creek up on the true left of new creek is the victoria. (not named on the maps) the victoria mine has a 10 footed stamper still in perfect working condition havent been there yet as its a good 10 hours from the car one way.

if interested in going for a walk some time drop me a post or email

gavin  
Posted : Friday, 13 July 2012 3:44:44 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
reading a great book at present xmas from caz

MY DEAR BANNIE by GERHARD MUELLER

he was a surveyor on the coast 1865 to 1866 and wrote letters home to his wife

BRUCE BAY
there was good gold down there up the makawiho river according to gerhand the only reason they pulled out was the lack of supplies kept running out of food
saying how he lived on mussels eels and fern for 3 weeks because the seas were to rough for ships to drop of supplies
gold was fetching 3-15-0 thats $7.50 per oz

OKARITO LAGOON
"pays well with the average minner mining 2 oz per day"
seems that most of okarito was mainly beach sands

hes now in hoki so will read more and let you all know where to go next

Sounds like an interesting read! Just placed on hold at my local library - looking forward to the read :) Cheers for the recommendation!

crushit  
Posted : Saturday, 14 July 2012 2:50:20 PM(UTC)
crushit

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hi Keith,
The creek you reffered to up new creek is named victory creek on the old survey maps( mokihinui,ngakawau,lyell survey district). A horse track went from blue creek at the new creek end to the battery and carried on to zalatown above the lyell.I have not been on this track myself but believe it is still followable. Not sure exactly where it starts at the new creek end but shouldnt be to hard to find as it traverses the ridge between blue creek and new creek at the end of the farm. The old survey map shows a number of alluvial workings in victory and new creeks. I would like to go and find the old horse track some time when I have some free time.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 14 July 2012 4:29:37 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
I love it Keith - I can see that soon the multitude will be invading the Lyell area - I guess that will keep the heat off my neck of the woods - great reading though and everytime the Lyell is mentioned I see myself sitting on the bank of the creek above the Buller just upstream from there discussing my philosophies on life with a group of Hare Krishna people and looking for gold in the cracks in the bedrock on the creek banks just where the Buller goes from a wide flat beach into a narrow gut and over a six or ten foot drop - nice spot there.

I am heading for Mexico - its your fault - do you want to come - PS bring the .45 - 70
kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 14 July 2012 8:32:49 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

hi graeme yea got my bag packed ready to go
the 45 70 hasnt been for a walk for a while got a very small goat last week just bent down and picked it up gave it a pat then put it back down to carry on with life . what am im going to do with a goat? i have heard they are better than sheep but they still cant cook

the lyell now has a new swing bridge over it just by the carpark very fancy the track is getting all done up calling it the ghost road suitable for mountain biking new hut also at the saddle the road is going all the way through to seddonville so thats going to open up some areas

kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 14 July 2012 8:38:27 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi crushit
yes i found the road at the new creek end when doing the possums up there didnt have time to follow it

i see your from westport perhaps a day trip to scout the area would be on give me a call 7828955
perhaps you have seen my old disco round town raised up with all the dressings and a possum on the back window (not real)

hoping to head up the blackwater when it stops raining

crushit  
Posted : Saturday, 14 July 2012 9:20:22 PM(UTC)
crushit

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hi Keith,pretty busy at present but would be keen to have a look at the old track sometime. There used to be an old track up the western side of the blackwater but its probably pretty overgrown now. Follow the old road to where the original bridge cossed the blackwater about 300 meters above the present bridge the track started just near the aproach to the old bridge.It went a few ks up the river and was good going once you got out of the narrow bit of the river.Not sure what it was put in for as I dont think there was any gold in the blackwater but could be wrong there. There is also an old track goes up the ridge on the downriver side of hawks crag,think it was the way the got past the crag before the road thru the crag was formed .This one is still in pretty good order to the top of the riodge above the blackwater. It may have linked with the one up the blackwater but cant be sure about that.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 14 July 2012 11:09:14 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
hi graeme yea got my bag packed ready to go
the 45 70 hasnt been for a walk for a while got a very small goat last week just bent down and picked it up gave it a pat then put it back down to carry on with life . what am im going to do with a goat? i have heard they are better than sheep but they still cant cook

the lyell now has a new swing bridge over it just by the carpark very fancy the track is getting all done up calling it the ghost road suitable for mountain biking new hut also at the saddle the road is going all the way through to seddonville so thats going to open up some areas

Hi Keith

You had better bring it over one day and we will see how it goes against my 50 - 70 Sharps if I can get some shells for it.

I am pretty certain that there were a few goats around Nelson Creek way once upon a time - over at the back of our place there used to be two large mobs of goats - one mob was coloured and the other white angora - they were totally racist as they never mixed - they were all shot by one of the local council arse lickers.
Free Fossicker Forster  
Posted : Sunday, 22 July 2012 11:49:40 AM(UTC)
Free Fossicker Forster

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I see the Buller recently peaked at 11.4m (0.4m below its 1970 record). As far as I could see the floods up that way were bigger than the Grey and southward from there. So after all my reading maybe a spring trip to the Lyell/New Creek. Shortness of time is the thing though.

Also could be tempted to get the mountain bike onto that Ghost Road (or any other such trail for that matter). Keith does it follow an original route all the way? I note it heads off through alot of granite and also limestone/siltstone country for quite a way after the Lyell.

Falling behind on all this computer technology. Can't even work out how to quote, nevermind twitter:)
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 22 July 2012 6:45:31 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

just give me a yell when wanting to go ill be there

as far as i know it follows the old dray track ive walked a bit of it and they are making a nice job of it

i see you live in oxford caz and i built the new house up on the hill in sales road must catch up some time
cheers
Free Fossicker Forster  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 July 2012 2:29:47 PM(UTC)
Free Fossicker Forster

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I'll be sure to give you a yell cheers. I'm thinking that house would be the first on the right from the junction with the Ashley Gorge Road? Great views across the Plain!
chrischch  
Posted : Wednesday, 1 August 2012 11:54:59 AM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Howd the birthday go Keith? You were right about Goldsborough, after going through all the concentrates Ash and I brought home, it appears the best spot was in fact Goldsborough. We tried a few spots at Nelson Creek, Goldsborough and Moonlight Creek. The Moonlight was the only place we saw other prospectors, and a shitload of stoat traps! What a great drive in it was! Thanks to the nice person who cut all the trees out the way! Didnt get much time in each spot but enough to whet the appetite for more! Thanks for all the good tips and hopefully we can say gidday next time!
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 1 August 2012 4:32:24 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi chrischch
please you got some colour when working goldsbrough i take a broom work the creek down to parpa for as far up stream as you can go or have time to go then sweep all sand and gold down through the box sounds strane but well worth it
the moonlight is to well worked for me there are places up there but you have to be in the know
when coming over again give me a pm ill put you into even better than goldsbrough
party was great took my son in law out on the sunday got 3 goats so he went home with some meat just spent the last 3 days up karamea not to much happening up there
cheers keith

Edited by user Wednesday, 1 August 2012 4:34:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 August 2012 8:35:58 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

sorry folks its been awhile since ive given out any locations
spent last 10 days in the greenstone / little hohonu river found some good locations for those who walk round with metal detectors two large sluice faces always worth a scan

nztm e 1460140 n5277665
e1459591 n5277387

both sites were very old but could be worth some time if passing through the area

also lots of mine shafts in this area so be careful when walking in the bush found some interesting old road cuttings, and water races
will post later a creek that showed good colour (didnt have my pan with me) but removing rocks soon showed gold under some
kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 1 September 2012 7:56:50 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

gold fever had set in just a tad just had to get out but the water is still cold
picture of the top end of the claim only managed about a gram
File Attachment(s):
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 2 September 2012 10:21:57 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

here is the hot tip i promised

map ref nztm e1457748 n5278264

there is a small creek that comes steeply down the hill (of course wouldnt come up the hill) shfted a few stones to get the flow right for a ground sluice and there it eas a couple of small yellow specks didnt have my plan with me so maybe i will get time this week to look at it better

west of this creek (with no name) by about 1 to 1.5 km are old roads, waterraces, and shafts bits of steel laying on the ground
if you are in the area eith nothing to do it would be worth a looky to see
simon  
Posted : Sunday, 2 September 2012 10:59:00 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
keith, your west coast stories section is an inspiring read whenever you update it.

i wish we could have similar sections for down here but i doubt that would work as every detectorist around will be over running your spot.

i bet these spots you mention are a bit tougher to get to. the ground down here ain't easy but at least it is mostly (except the prickly shit) devoid of bush, and generally a lot drier.

if it wasn't for work i would love to visit some of these locations of yours. more to check out the old races etc.

google can be good for looking for this stuff. unfortunately the images are not that sharp for some areas. for some reason google doesn't cover the less populated areas so well! i use it more to recheck once i have been somewhere. not just races and stuff but also signs of faults, ways in etc.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Sunday, 2 September 2012 11:29:44 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
keith, your west coast stories section is an inspiring read whenever you update it.

i wish we could have similar sections for down here but i doubt that would work as every detectorist around will be over running your spot.

i bet these spots you mention are a bit tougher to get to. the ground down here ain't easy but at least it is mostly (except the prickly shit) devoid of bush, and generally a lot drier.

if it wasn't for work i would love to visit some of these locations of yours. more to check out the old races etc.

google can be good for looking for this stuff. unfortunately the images are not that sharp for some areas. for some reason google doesn't cover the less populated areas so well! i use it more to recheck once i have been somewhere. not just races and stuff but also signs of faults, ways in etc.

I read Keiths contributions religiously but dont want to tell him that as he might let it all go to his head so mums the word - it is good reading and hes a great fellow into the bargain...next time he is down this way perhaps we can get together and you come to my place for a potter about together with another couple of forum members whom I know.

As for having your own thread you go for it - it isnt a matter of divulging your good spots but maybe an overview of your times out - it could be a cross between your past and the places you visited plus current finds. I decided some time ago to place my current and historical finds into my Relics of the Goldfields as it places all of my history and findings past and present into either one of two threads I run rather than clutter the site with a new thread every time I walk out the door...why dont you do that. As with Keiths threads I read every one and would for yours but tend not to comment as no one else seems to do it much I have found but it does not mean that they dont enjoy reading them.

When I get into Paydirt I look for specific contributions from specific people and you and Keith are two of those and thus I think a thread of your days out, past and present plus photos of Central generally together with wee anecdotal comments as well as historical comments would be ace.

kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 2 September 2012 12:44:44 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

thanks you guys its always hard to tell if people are interested

the places i tell about are areas that i put on my bucket list my list is so long that i will never cross every thing off
with having the claim i find i go there all the time for the gold the only reason i get to other places is through work possum hunting so why not share what i find to help out newbees

i still have to master my gold bug its not as easy as lammerlaw or david makes it look bucket list item learn how to use my bug

10 Pages«<45678>»