New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

10 Pages«<56789>»
Nugget-Hunter  
Posted : Sunday, 2 September 2012 1:50:07 PM(UTC)
Nugget-Hunter

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 20 post(s)
that is not a bad spot indeed. About 2km upstream from the bridge, i had some mixed success by shiftng large rocks with the 4wd, bottle jacks and block and takle. The Au comes down from the terraces and is quite coarse.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 2 September 2012 2:35:09 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi nugget hunter
just reading up on the area i find it hard to think that there is not more workings in the area for all the gold that was there maybe it was to hard to get water to
looked at the terraces and thought i mite give them a go one needs to water blast the base then suck up out of the creek not to sure how far up the creek to go as the gold dose run out
do you know if the gold comes out of the terrace or out of the hohonu? if out of the hohonu how far up should one go?
NUGGY  
Posted : Sunday, 2 September 2012 3:01:10 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hi Keith, I have spent a bit of time up there. Have you seen the tunnel the river runs through, near the hut? Above that area the river rocks get bigger, another k or so and you get to where river runs around a ridge coming down from west side. This is Maori Point, and was one of the first spots on the coast worked in the 1800's. Was supposed to have been very rich, lot of old hand workings around and not much mucked about with since, as it's tough going in there. There is a track of sorts behind the hut, goes up the east bank. Might get back up there, but doubt I would get much past the hut now. NUGGY
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 2 September 2012 3:01:58 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
G'day Keith, Your PM in box is full. I tried sending you a message.

Good luck out there

JW :)
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 2 September 2012 4:47:49 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

hi kiwijw

all sorted big clean out
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 2 September 2012 4:51:09 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwijw Go to Quoted Post
Your PM in box is full.

I *THINK* that I've just increased the size of the inbox from 100 max messages to 1000 max messages. The admin setting wasn't very clearly worded so I hope this is what I did ;) Try again if you want.

kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 2 September 2012 4:55:49 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi nuggy

can you give me an idea where the hut is i found maori point on french creek went hunting up there the other night but not anything there its all been 1080 so most of the deer have fallen over not to sure weather from the 1080 or laughing at me trying to catch one of them
back up there in the morning after i get the truck fixed the front wheels are pointing in different directions the track to the claim getting a bit rough when crossing to the hut lol
NUGGY  
Posted : Sunday, 2 September 2012 5:28:46 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hi Keith, I don't know where french creek is? I thought you were discussing the Greenstone - Hohonu. About 4 k's upstream from the bridge at the Mitchels Taramakau Settlement turn off you will find the hut or whatever is left of it. It was getting pretty scody last time I was there, which was hmmm, maybe 6 years ago? Awesome spot though, with the river running through the tunnel. NUGGY
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 2 September 2012 5:35:58 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

yea got the right area it is the greenstone
french creek flows into hohono from of mt french (suprise)

will have a look up there this week thanks for that imfo
Nugget-Hunter  
Posted : Monday, 3 September 2012 10:13:55 PM(UTC)
Nugget-Hunter

Man

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 20 post(s)
The Hayes Terrace and the Revell Terrace are left overs of an ancient glacial moraine and there is gold in it but not in payable quantyties, the book says. The little Hohonu is very poor (Mitchells Road). I only had some success in the Greenstone/Hokonui River, the further up from the bridge the coarser it got. There is a forestry road off to the left in the right hand corner after the long straight from the Taramakau Settlement Road, that will get you close to the Maori Point. Don't know how much Au there is further up stream.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 September 2012 8:09:28 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

yea fouind that road the other night when out for a hunt didnt take the pan and it was a waste of time taking the rifle as well

back in there in the morning if the river goes down so will let you know how it pans out haha pans out
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 September 2012 9:20:52 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

do you know where this is ?
is in canada?

Edited by user Wednesday, 12 September 2012 9:22:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
gjj109  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 September 2012 10:50:17 AM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Must be in Canada. Look at all the gorse and manuka.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 September 2012 11:26:59 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
The Management and control of gorse and broom in parts of Canada is a real problem.

The Pine trees look like Contorta and although Contorta is the number one wilding pine in New Zealand it generally looks different to the North American Contorta - out here it is more weedy and stunted.n They dont look like our number one commercial pine the Radiata Pine but they might be.

In North America it grows tall and straight hence its name Lodgepole Pine as it is used for the Lodgepoles of Indian Tepees - well it was in traditional days!

Yes it sure looks like Manuka besides the taillings - better not suggest Canada or the Canadian Indians will be across here lodging a claim on our Manuka for Tea Tree Oil before the Maoris do.

Edited by user Wednesday, 12 September 2012 11:30:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 September 2012 11:49:59 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

you boys are on to it
photo was taken of one of the may lakes or ponds on the tailings of the kumara dredge
raking a photo of these tailing can not do it justise, its huge, it is worth a visit if in the area

when you go there allow a couple of days as you will find so many interesting sites and place to visit, cuttings that are old roads,tunnels through the parpa, shafts, not to mention the wild life,

be aware that there are numerous claims in the area so no poaching

up to karamea to the blue duck stream so will see whats in that area
gjj109  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 September 2012 12:50:29 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Apologies for stealing your post Keith, but just thought I would pop in this photo of regeneration on the old dredge at Callaghans.

A fine example of Canadian manuka.

UserPostedImage
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 September 2012 6:52:11 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi gjj
yeap it growes all over the place even in my hands well it seems to the amount i have to pull out

i would rather you poach my little site than my claim haha but its great to get feed back it shows people read what i write and i love looking at photos

the other ones i took didnt turn out at all well seemede to be a bad light day
better if you have a good camera as i was trying to get a photo of a tui in my back garden to day but just wouldnt come out
keep posting those photos i enjoy them
1NEWBIE  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 September 2012 9:02:45 PM(UTC)
1NEWBIE

New Zealand

hi kiwikeith first of all id like to say a speacil thanks to yourself.. i love reading all you post's it gets me so excited about finding gold. i am new to all this and have brought a small sluice box. im looking forward to getting over your ways and exploring just gota figure out how to use the sluice box properly.haha thanks again and keep up the good work.

p.s any tips on how to use the sluice would be great
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 September 2012 9:28:11 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

try putting it in water lol
1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 September 2012 10:00:48 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
I have found the best kind of water to put a sluice box in is the flowing kind, hey Keith do you recon I should spend my summer chasing all the possible gold spots you have given grid references for, could be an entertaining adventure!! Mind you, I may be too soft for the west coast bush, all we have to contend with down here is tussock and the odd bit of speargrass.
Good to read your storys when Im stuck in the city pretending to do Uni work.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
10 Pages«<56789>»