New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

4 Pages123>»
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 January 2016 11:52:19 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Hunt 2016.1:
Hunted several beaches after storm, all sanded in except one small pocket in a corner
One daggy sixpence, $6 in goldies and a heap of old decimals.
Hot and muggy.

Hunt 2016.2:
Coin-shooting mission at drinking spot.
Specifically targeting $1, $2.
$16, fugly junk ring and cellphone which had roots growing through it.
UserPostedImage
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 January 2016 3:13:20 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
How many pulltabs?
Hang on to a few of those goldies (one of each date) in 50 years time they'll be sought after by detectorists =)
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 January 2016 3:27:02 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: GoldPandemic Go to Quoted Post
How many pulltabs?

No tabs, and maybe a half dozen crown caps and bits of mangled can/screwcaps which gave marginal signals due to their condition/shape.
The ATP cuts through the crap very nicely when I can't be bothered chasing real gold :)

Too easy.

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 9 January 2016 9:36:21 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Hunt 2016.3:
Coin-Shooting again for an hour before the rain at another grassy knoll.
Very quiet, only $9 in goldies and a couple of V caps.
Amateur "Hacker" had visited this spot in last couple of weeks - Lots of squares of dead turf visible...Neatly replaced, but dead.
UserPostedImage

Hunt 2016.4:
Early morning stroll along the grass verge.Looking for coins generally this time.
Surprisingly, only $2 found, but picked up four small silvers and a couple of older pennies out of a sea of filtered-out pull tabs, bottle caps and foil.
Finds of the Day: EF 1 dot 1942 Thruppence, second place goes to my first Aussie 3d.
UserPostedImage
LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Saturday, 9 January 2016 12:34:37 PM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
The green petina looks nice. What's the date of the Fijian coin? (Also really like the set up for these pictures)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 January 2016 12:35:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fisher F22
Pre-decimals: 10
Best Finds: German Pistol, Horse bit, Lead Belt Buckle

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 9 January 2016 1:55:24 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: LittleKiwiDetecting Go to Quoted Post
The green petina looks nice. What's the date of the Fijian coin? (Also really like the set up for these pictures)

Cheers LKD,
The Fijian is too rotted out to pull a date, although I'd guess late 70's based on the condition. (The acid soils here are really hard on coppers)

They are photographed on black velvet under natural light with the camera stopped down a tad to deepen the black.

LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Saturday, 9 January 2016 4:28:40 PM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mudwiggle Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: LittleKiwiDetecting Go to Quoted Post

Cheers LKD,
The Fijian is too rotted out to pull a date, although I'd guess late 70's based on the condition. (The acid soils here are really hard on coppers)

They are photographed on black velvet under natural light with the camera stopped down a tad to deepen the black.

Thanks! When I am able to start detecting soon I'll use that method for the photos, rather than my older method.
GL and HH,
LKD
Fisher F22
Pre-decimals: 10
Best Finds: German Pistol, Horse bit, Lead Belt Buckle

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Saturday, 9 January 2016 6:06:21 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

'just' $9! hahaha
Good tip on the photo's. They come up real colourful.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 19 February 2016 6:24:39 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Hunt 2016.5:
Road trip to find beach sanded in. $3 in goldies and a ring pull in three hours. Gave up, spent winnings on pie.

Hunt 2016.6:
Another road trip after a few weeks indoors, in the hope the swells had shifted sand. They had, but inwards!
Wading was out as shallows were thick with washed in kelp. Remained upwind of very decomposed bovine that had come down in the flood.
2 x 1c, and a 5c.

Bailed and drove 60km in the opposite direction to try and find a beach with a different orientation. Not a lot of difference at new spots, few small cuts but generally a repeat with deep, very soft sand.

Headed for the mudflats where things picked up a little.
Couple of 40's pennies, Silver 6d and 3d, '47 Cupro florin and obligatory junky rings and .303 cartridge. From the black ooze also came a pre 1926 12 gauge shottie cap (George Kynoch) so I'm picking WW1 returned soldier letting fly on his return. Met up with another swinger and had a wee chat before we both headed off in search of silvers. $10 in goldies, 750g of grey matter.

Total trip 148km, but got some flecks of silver, so I'm happy :)
MW

UserPostedImage
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Friday, 19 February 2016 8:00:24 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
I'm pleased to hear I'm not alone, when it comes to feuding with that dreaded sand! ..... Roll on winter, fingers crossed anyway.
The old mud flats are great for a bit of normality and action in the way of tones through the headphones.
Good job on the silvers and misc finds, thanks for the class pics.
HH Iggy
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Saturday, 20 February 2016 11:51:24 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Always enjoy your insight into Coastal Detectorology.
Keep up the posts.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 27 February 2016 12:00:39 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Hunt 2016.7
Acting on a 'hot tip' about a pile of "turn of the century" bricks in the scrub, I headed out to have a few hours swinging there before heading back my current pet haunt in the mangroves at low tide.
Was a lot more overgrown than I expected, and bulldozers had made a mess of much of the site.
UserPostedImage

Came across old bottles very quickly, I stashed some of the embossed ones (as hopefully easy to identify) for collection on the way back to the car.
UserPostedImage
All seem to be 1940's vintage.
Eyeballed the front half of an ancient FunHo(?) Tractor but more was missing than present so tucked it into the undergrowth. A lot of rusty iron, big hinges, stove parts, and railway pins although only found one lead-head nail... Which surprised me, but suggested the bulk of topsoil
has been bladed over the edge into a sea of Jasmine, Gorse and giant ants (I kid you not - these buggers were a full 10mm long and were frequently found trying to chew through my jeans so they could make off with chunks of my leg. Like mini Wolverines! In fact, I suspect it was the ants that demolished the house...)
UserPostedImage

Anyway, picked up a few old decimals along the edges of the bulldozed area but the age wasn't there (other than the bottles). I picked my way through the ginger, avoiding the ones bending under the weight of ants and emerged into a slightly less blanket-bombed area.
Two swings and I had a clean non-ferrous tone - You beauty! Old button with a crown and cypher (ID: NZ Railways, C1940's), next swing and 50cm away, a walking stick sterling decorative piece. Oh, please continue like this...!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Well, it didn't. Although targets were much better quality - Lead grapeshot (I assume ex- cannon, at an inch across, probably picked up at a beach or battle site by the original tenants) and a lead bag seal but no markings on it. In fact heaps of lead (that lovely old, white, and highly toxic stuff). Looks like someone was casting something, or lots of somethings in lead here as there were many odd chunks which had been poured into random depressions in the ground - I assume surplus from a melt tipped from the crucible to be remelted later, and forgotten?
UserPostedImage

A nice piece of old pale blue stained glass came out, still in the lead frame. Prior to the float glass technique used today, they used to hand
blow a cylinder, slice it open and roll it out flat with wooden paddles leaving a distinctive linear ribbed texture. (Thanks Time Team!)
This looks like a front door panel piece or similar.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

By this time, I had exhausted the easy bits and low tide was approaching, so wombled back to the car for some scoff and down to the sea...

The mangroves are getting thin now, criss-crossed with my footprints which makes clearing an area really easy :)
Lots of old decimals, one penny and a jet black '42 6d. Two junky rings and GOLD! A nice 9ct with stone. Was really deep but rang out clear, must've been sitting flat. Also dredged up a rotted out 9ct heart locket and the usual keys, lead sinkers etc.
UserPostedImage

Stopped at a garage sale on the way home, and saw a rusty old machete - obviously very old as the blade didn't bend like the modern recycled Honda Civic ones. Handed over the $3 and both parties were happy.
UserPostedImage

Got home and started to clean it up - Hmm, that looks like a stamp... Bit of scrubbing and
UserPostedImage

A productive day, and one of the more enjoyable hunts - except for the ants.

HH
MW

Edited by user Saturday, 27 February 2016 8:41:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Sunday, 28 February 2016 8:30:39 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Awesome stuff.....a great write up and pics.
Congrats on the Au, gee that machete was a good investment.
Worth another look I say.
Iggy
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 25 March 2016 2:44:17 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Just updating the log.
Nothing exciting, so you won't miss anything if you click the Back Arrow now :)

Hunt 2016.8
Big tides meant an early shallows run at low tide. Left home at Silly o'clock aiming to be in the water at 4. Unfortunately came across 1-car prang, got the guy sorted until fire arrived (Moderate injuries, but he'll be okay). Finally got to Spot X at 5am...Tide on the way in. Helped for about a half hour by ancient and very friendly Labrador that materialised out of the darkness and paddled around with me giving the scoop a good sniff every time I had a dig. First target was a ring which got me fired up when I saw it in the scoop, unfortunately stainless. 280g of lead and a few old decimal 5 & 10c pieces. $2 in goldies. Cool watching the bioluminescence in the water as I swung the coil and the meteor-like streaks of green shooting away as I spooked fish. Stepped squarely on a flounder which scared the BeJezus out of me. Packed up at 6:30 and headed home for coffee.

Hunt 2016.9
Another pre-dawn "big low" raid at a well-worked over spot, really scratching for places that have actually had sand removed rather than heaped up with these long period easterly swells.
Was promising at one end of the bay with plenty of oldish light grey lead turning up, but that was about all. Gave up after 2 Hours as the tide was racing in and the wind chop waves/spray were just unpleasant.

Pic is a composite of both hunts - Lead bucket is now overflowing but way too heavy to shift!
UserPostedImage

Hunt 2016.10
Spontaneous afternoon hunt along grass verge after the rain, $7 in goldies, 1951 penny and a few old decimals. Plenty of junk. Abandoned after 30 minutes as I was covered with flying ants which finally forced me out. Had a chat with a pedestrian, "There's two $4,000 engagement rings off the steps at __ __________ . I know, because I threw them!" That's been added to "The Book" to try when I head south sometime, just need to work out how far a pair of diamond rings will travel in anger :)

Back into the maps this afternoon, need to rethink my hunt strategy.

Edited by user Friday, 25 March 2016 2:45:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Friday, 25 March 2016 6:13:20 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Go back for those Fun-ho wheels they are sought after on trademe.
Love that stained glass.
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Saturday, 26 March 2016 5:08:52 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

I like the engagement ring story, a couple years back a lady came up to me telling how she knew where I could find a ring....... It was her wedding ring that she had thrown off the middle of a bridge.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 27 March 2016 12:04:49 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Iggyrulz Go to Quoted Post
I like the engagement ring story, a couple years back a lady came up to me telling how she knew where I could find a ring....... It was her wedding ring that she had thrown off the middle of a bridge.

Surprising how many rings get thrown. I know of 4 around here and that's all unsolicited information from passers-by. Would be so much easier if they didn't throw them into the tide or blackberry/Jasmine though!

Anyway, Another quick low tide rummage at dawn proved productive today, finally got a decent silver on the table for the year...

Hunt 2016.11
Grungy and muddy out-of-the-way beach, although under 20cm of mud was yellow sand...Was a nice beach once, before the silt runoff started covering everything.
Lots of copper nails and flakes of eroded sheathing along with various odd fittings suggested something came ashore to die here many years ago - a little way off to the side of the main cluster a rotten George V ha'penny surfaced which was a reasonable dating for whatever it was.
Then Boom! 1879 shilling :) Instantly went into Hyper-Focussed Mode. But only found more copper nails and chaff. A couple of guide plates for ropes to come through a deck/hull suggest it was possibly a small sailer of some sort. The usual old decimals and a '55 6d were the only other roundness discovered. No ali trash at all. Plenty of grey matter, mostly in the form of a pocket of net weights, possibly from the boat, and a few .22 slugs at the foot of the cliff.
Back at the car, Mum and 6yo out for a morning walk asked the usual questions about Pirate Treasure.
Gave the young lad the Xpointer and tucked a 50c under the Kikuyu. Despite watching me put it in there, he needed some guidance but his face lit up when the "Magic Wand" told him he'd found some treasure.
Bugger me, he'd missed the 50c and pinged a $2 about 10cm away! Haha...Good on him!

UserPostedImage

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 28 March 2016 10:56:41 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Hunt 2016.12
New Mangroves.
Located a spot where the road had been diverted and the old road formation is being repossessed by the mangroves. Decided to get the Redbands on and have a crack.
Covered both sides as far as an old bridge abutment about 50m in, found an old swinging pin which was cool, tucked it up in a mangrove for future wayward travellers. Quite surreal working away on an old road with trucks thundering past about 20m away. Ended up with a 57' penny, '61 ha'penny and a silver (just) 1946 Shilling.
Lifted a neat homemade sinker at the bridge, cast into a screw cap. Added to the collection of novelty sinkers.

Daylight was starting to light up the canopy so I headed back for breakfast. Nailed a Tot-Lot on the way home for a tidy $10 in gold. Perfick.
Recharging batteries now and may head back for the evening low and do the next section.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Monday, 28 March 2016 11:00:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Tuesday, 29 March 2016 12:33:11 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Nice work, love that night shot.
What is a swinging pin?
Will you ever post pictures of your novelty collection? Would be cool.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 2 April 2016 3:07:11 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: GoldPandemic Go to Quoted Post
What is a swinging pin?
Will you ever post pictures of your novelty collection? Would be cool.

Swinging pin is the old "Crank Handle" used to start cars, phased out pretty much in the late 50's I suppose - Although I had a Lada Cossack (stop laughing) which also had one. Went 8 months without a starter motor :)
I only have two 'novelty sinkers' so far, one cast in a mussel shell, the other in the screwcap. The spoon ones are six-to-a-penny.

Anyhoo... Todays dose of fresh air:

Hunt 2016.13
Returned to an earlier permission http://www.paydirt.co.nz/forums...asty-Dirt.aspx#post44085 that I've been holding off on during the summer. Piddling down with rain so it wasn't long before I had mud all over me.
Had the 5x8 coil on the ATP this time to wriggle my way between the trash. Headed straight to a spot that produced some silvers last time, and I was soon back into them, with 3x silver thruppences and a 6d before they drifted away.
This location was apparently used a couple of times for Scout/Guide camps back in the 40's although it seems the Guides and Brownies were a lot more active than the Scouts! Tally of GG badges after 2 Hrs was 9! Five of them came from within the same swing radius, two still with pins intact.
Nothing Scouty was found however, which was a little disappointing given the figure of 500 kids according to the farmer. Still, always another day.
Haven't bothered with the old decimals, you can imagine the usual 20c/50c etc.

AT Pro 5x8 coil
Saturated gravelly basalt loam
Bulk of coins coming from 10-15cm, badges all around 8-10cm.
Pro Zero, GB@85, full sens, Iron Audio off, Iron elim @40

Back into the water tomorrow hopefully.

UserPostedImage

4 Pages123>»