New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Friday, 8 January 2016 3:21:09 PM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Hi all, this is a thread that I had been thinking of making for a while, and decided to finally get to it.
This thread is for use of all and is where people put up finds that they have found, that has I.D numbers or names that can be returned to family or owners.
You can put up anything, even if it wasn't found metal detecting. (Things such as ration books, post cards and other items are allowed.)
I want these to be items that you are able to send back to family or descendants of the owners. You can either put up your own thing or help others, for example help with researching on it.
Hopefuly this thread helps you with returning items you have found and you are able to help others!
GL and HH
Fisher F22
Pre-decimals: 10
Best Finds: German Pistol, Horse bit, Lead Belt Buckle

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Sunday, 10 January 2016 12:20:19 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Wish people had recorded all that they lost.
Although it might cause issues of ownership - especially if family hairloom. Or in the case of this poor settler that may have been put into poverty after their loss:
http://www.paydirt.co.nz...er-forget.aspx#post36993

I gather we could trawl through Lost and Found sections of old newspapers. Often they do not list pockets full of money 'lost on drunken friday night out while on horse back possibly somewhere between Tauranga and Rotorua, can't quite remember locations travelled or if I spent it neither', or lost purse after shenanigans in bushy section of old park.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 March 2016 6:50:38 AM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I was also thinking of stuff with names on them, such as rings and jewellery.
Fisher F22
Pre-decimals: 10
Best Finds: German Pistol, Horse bit, Lead Belt Buckle

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 March 2016 11:44:26 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
If it's valuable with a name, or identifying feature then let the Blue Boys do the search/return - their database is national.... And you avoid being potential being pinged for Stealing by Finding. I've had no issues with them and get 80% or more of said named items back.

Although I did manage to trace one ring the Police handed back to me.
To a lass in Argentina based on her wedding date and name engraved inside - that and her travel blog where she complained about losing it which helped considerably. And also traced a cellphone (totally knackered but SIM was full of "where are you?" and "Answer your phone" TXTs) They let me keep it to add to the growing pile :)

But. yeah, best to go through the right channels.