New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
Gold Stamp X  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 July 2016 2:54:05 PM(UTC)
Gold Stamp X

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hey all,

Just saw that Crown Minerals is asking people to have there say on what to do about mineral fees. I saw that they plan to change to a new yearly fee of $1400 for a mining permit, or dredging permit. They are saying that the don't make enough money to keep paying the bills. Sounds like they need to let a few more mines open and then they could pay some more bills instead of pillaging the small miners.

I do a lot of mining work in Canada and I know that our fees are not cheap. But what is different is that your 1 claim, 450mx450m, cost $100 a year to hold. BUT, anything that you do to get to the claim and work the claim can be used to pay that $100. So if you drive from home to the claim, you have paid for your one small claim for the year. Fuel, plus your costs per hour of your time. So how is it that NZ can be so short on money when all mining fees go right to Crown Minerals?

Anyways I see that YOU can show up for the discussion, in Wellington, where No miners live, and let your voice be heard. So who is going?

If anyone is going to show up I can give you some info from up here to hopefully help them change there minds on charging more for dredgers to operate

2 links. One is some jargon, the second is a PDF with lots of jargon and lots of $$ figures about new fees.

http://www.mbie.govt.nz/...troleum-fees-review-2016

http://www.mbie.govt.nz/...ent-fees-review-2016.pdf

gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 July 2016 3:11:41 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Eek, that's some serious price hiking being proposed!

Mining permit application is proposed to go up from $2,844.44 to $5,850.00 or $4,421.73 (depending on proposed option).
$2,844.44 -> $5,850.00 / $4,421.73

Annual fee is going up from $444.44 minimum to $1,400.00 or $1,607.90 (depending on proposed option).
$444.44 -> $1,400.00 / $1,607.90

I wonder if they're going in with a high ball figure expecting to meet a lot of resistance, then it doesn't seem so bad when they hike the fees up and and the figures aren't quite as high as initially proposed?!

Hobby just got very expensive! That's going to encourage a lot more illegal mining as the cost of entry to the hobby will suddenly get too high for most people to consider. It already seems too expensive to a lot of people.
Gold Stamp X  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 July 2016 3:23:13 PM(UTC)
Gold Stamp X

New Zealand

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Yep. Real price rise, going up $1000 per permit.

They say that since commodity prices have dropped they are not making enough to cover costs. So why not charge the big mining companies more and make a different permit for dredgers. I don't think there are that many dredgers out there that are dredging as a full time job. I would think most would be just hobbyists. Or maybe I am wrong.

Please read the last page of the PDF, the questions, and go thru all the BS to send crown minerals your thoughts about paying more to have some good old summer fun in the outdoors.
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 July 2016 3:39:11 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Update: This is insufficient. I did it in haste and didn't realise that there was a very specific format NZP&M want the submission in. I'll have another go and post it here.

I've just emailed my submission in...

Dear sir / madam,

I'm concerned at the substantial hike in fees proposed. I feel that the hobby gold miner operating a dredge at the weekend is being marginalised and pushed into a situation where if they want to pursue their hobby they will only be able to do so illegally due to the cost barrier of entry.

As a potential solution perhaps two fee paths can be accommodated - a full price commercial fee path, and a second reduced fee path for the weekend hobbyist.

I feel it is a truly sad that it is getting harder and harder for the weekend hobby gold dredger to enjoy their pastime and of the climbing level of wealth required to enjoy the pastime.

Yours faithfully,
Gavin Harriss

Edited by user Saturday, 16 July 2016 10:23:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 July 2016 11:46:28 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
No wonder they are charging more they just created more work for them self's by doubling the paper work & involving more people into the scheme of things , now we have a mid season "Annual summary report " ontop of the annual royalty report , return , what happened to streamlining it,s a sic joke most of the questions in each form are hardly even applicable for us dredgers what really needs to happen is for them to sever the tier 2 permits & create something more down to earth for small scale guys I had a total ruff count for dredging permits came up with 80 even if there was 100 how can they justify an minimum fee of 1400 x 100 ,$140000 to manage a small amount of paperwork !!! even the guys sitting in a digger are going to feel the squeeze , they don't want any of us dredging or running a small washplant they'd rather just make it completely uneconomical for anyone except multinational company's that just shutup & payup if they carnt do it at the current rate they should contract it out to someone that can...as was pointed out above how many miners live in wellington ffs between the government & the greens were all doomed .
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 14 July 2016 10:08:23 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Good work Gavin. Will be interesting to see their response.

Unfortunately the system does what it wants. Worldwide the masters that own and control us want to stop the average person getting their hands on their gold. Funnily enough a lot of western countries seem to have been selling off their gold reserves, just to have their gold snapped up by the likes of some of the asian countries. i still suspect Queenie is sitting on her hoard though, haha.

The current deal here clearly doesn't work. Yep, the miners and even hobbyists know more than the guys pushing the pens and hiding behind computer screens. Yet they get no real say. Just like a submission to your local council on some matter, any correspondence will be ignored as is just part of the process in changing the structure and thus pricing to exclude.

Personally I've fossicked on some of the few areas set aside to legally hunt for gold, I've dredged on leased ground under someone else's permit, and I've hunted the hills of public lands with a detector and sniping gear. What I know is all the claims are generally for waterways. All are quite sizeable, many are not worked. This has tied up all known ground and is producing bugger all for anyone in many cases. Sucks for anyone looking for somewhere to go whether they have the money or just are seeking an odd day here and there on someone else's permit.

From the point of the permit holder's, you need a lot of ground to make it worth going through the permit process and all that goes with it. Of course, known ground has been worked a couple of times before on average meaning you are just picking up the dregs of the missed patches, the gold lost via older sloppy workings of the ground, plus usually much of the ground is covered in the previous guy's tailings.

The new proposed costs, which i see as most likely to be implemented, will make it beyond reach of most people. Reality is most river permits are just hobbyist miners. You can't make a living all year round due to restrictions on mining, nature throwing in floods and droughts and frozen ground and frigid temperatures. Yet the costs represent a successful industry that is making a fortune , when in reality many guys are doing it for fun and covering costs, hopefully.

Under the new regime some may walk away when faced with the increased costs and time wasted completing extra paperwork.

I fully agree with you Gavin and your statement that the permitting system needs to consist of a couple of permit types. Sure the land based operations need a separate system that represents their nature of scale and working. But the guy dredging needs a break. Reality in today's NZ dictates these waterways won't probably ever get worked by the big companies again. Just too much cost to get set up, too much opposition, and too much risk of environmental damage, noise of operation and all that sort of thing.

So why not open up watery areas for dredgers? Set up a system where ground actually gets worked, encourage more gold to be found. Let it benefit the miner, let it benefit the government via spending and some fees. Simplify the current system. Spend some money so this can happen. How hard would it be to categorise waterways, stretches of waterways, to determine what can be achievable? Rather than the opposite, no you can't do this and that, but hey, throw some money at us and you may have a chance eventually of seeing something happen.

It's a big shame the guys in charge can't look at what is going on in the structure of operations in other countries, along with analysing miners opinions of their respective systems and costs.

One thing I am sure of is people won't stop mining, even if it is deemed an illegal activity. It is something that has been done throughout civilisation and I doubt it will change anytime soon. Even in poorer countries people are mining under bigger threats. Take Mongolia. The sheer numbers of miners coming from a background of no employment and a bleak future has seen vast numbers hand mining ground, digging dangerous drives and shafts, all whilst being threatened with weapons, beatings and fines. Yet they still persevere and keep returning.

With the nature of our country it's going to be hard to stop people sniping in the bush. Plus there's no money to be made off that via permitting.
Detecting isn't much different. Sure, you could fine the odd guy. Bust them with one of two little nuggets at a time. But hardly a wise use of resources.

To me it would make more sense to provide an acceptable system and structure that keeps all parties happy.

Perhaps everyone on here and other forums can provide a description of how they mine (dredge, detect, fossick in approved areas), plus explain how often they get out to mine and what type of set up would be ideal in their eyes. Maybe someone will take note.

What I most see lacking is somewhere for folks to highbank. Why don't we have set areas for this. Considering a lot of people don't have the time or health to get into the rugged mountains it would make sense for a couple of places for this activity as they do in other countries. Again, a nice fee could be collected, but most of all it would keep people from having to either miss out, or have to sneak about.

What seems to be forgotten is this country was founded on gold mining. Many of our ancestors partook in it, emigrated here because of it, made their wealth from it, and set up many of today's businesses and enterprises and industries from wealth gained from it. It is our history, so why can't we participate in it on the odd weekend in such historic areas without having to fork out thousands in fees which is clearly a barrier to exclude the majority.
element111  
Posted : Thursday, 14 July 2016 10:39:27 AM(UTC)
element111

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Looks like they don't want small scale miners operation, they say they are streamlining their services yet my last two large permits I done for our exploration took eight weeks to even be looked at and plotted on the map
Darren  
Posted : Thursday, 14 July 2016 12:15:26 PM(UTC)
Darren

New Zealand

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 19 post(s)
What will end up happening under this new proposal is;

- Serious dredge operators will keep on doing what they are currently doing, this will affect a one-man band or small companies bottom line but on the upside it will keep a lot of hobby miners from renewing their claims and allowing serious dredgers to extend theirs.

-Illegal hobby mining will increase, there is no telling by how much, but it will certainly force a lot of guys underground.

-Legal hobby mining will decrease, mining permits will be cancelled, claims will not be renewed as most ground worked by hobby miners is barely affordable and only when you don't consider the costs of your labour.

-Mining clubs and groups will start happening again, the likes of the old 'friends of the louis claim' now owned by Rotoiti community council, essentially a club run public fossicking area. Or the likes of mine and some other forum members claim in marlborough, seriously uneconomical ground which has been historically mined with accessability and waterflow issues, but with enough miners splitting costs it gives us somewhere interesting to go detecting legally even if it never will pay for itself.

I have seen similar to what is happening under this proposal with NZPAM happen with the CAA, they are looking to go cost neutral but the services demanded of them and demanded of themselves keep increasing (as bureaucrats often do), this occured after the global financial crisis for the CAA and they really didn't have the money in their budget to keep operating without cutting services across the board many of which are far to essential to cut, the fair and reasonable solution pushed by all but one stakeholder was to introduce a fuel levy on all aviation fuel sales which would see a pure user pays system for the CAA's services, this was fought very strongly by air nz as the largest aviation fuel purchaser in the country (but funny enough also the one who uses the bulk of the CAA's resources), what ended up happening is the pilots ended up wearing it, to the point where the cost of a medical in New Zealand is twice that of one in Australia, a country known for its expensive bureaucracy, and all administration fees increased by a large factor across the board, the cost of the CAA is essentially now being burdened on the pilots and many did not renew their licenses or medicals, as the CAA was warned, which punched a larger hole in the books.

Do not think for a second that the increases in these fees from NZPAM will benefit any small miner, dollars to knobs of goat poo this is the burden being shifted by a company or companies with enough swing in the industry to do so.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 14 July 2016 1:18:26 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

To clarify a few things the permits most affected are the ones under 100 hectares ( now km2 ) or if you are going for a new pp , ex or mining permit .
so if you took the 50 hectares or less option & was paying $444 it could go to $1400 for the ones that are 50 to 100 there will be a pay increase for those (100 hectares or km2) little change on the annual fee,s (at this stage)...the other thing to consider is seemly they are loosing lots of $ somehow the crazy amount of 1.5M for the gold sector alone every 6 months that permit holders are expected to pay they are expecting everyone to take the cheap option of $1400 however 2019 is another review year & that is when they will put another pay hike to make up interest lost etc etc so basically saying take the cheap option now & we,l be paying for it latter at even more inflated prices in 2019/20 .
Also of interest is how this has come to be its from nzpam so believe it or not ,in the last review NZPAM where basically wanting something along the lines of a miners wright so they didn't have to deal with permits however those with permits like my self opposed as who wants to invest a stack of $ for it to be worthless if there was no permitting system , pluss the greens really kicked up a stink about it being more unregulated (guess they forgot about the resource consents already in place ) they didn't want people wandering around looking for gold & said gold was a crown mineral so the govt had to keep it as it is .greens will be loving it knowing that as time go,s on the prices go up it will be uneconomic for miners effectively putting an end to it for everyone but the biggest ...hopefully gold go,s to 3,4,5k an ounce then they can have there chump change :)

Edited by user Thursday, 14 July 2016 1:27:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1864hatter  
Posted : Thursday, 14 July 2016 4:56:22 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Gingerbreadman I like this last part - hopefully gold go's to 3,4,5k an ounce then they can have there chump change :).
One of my permits took them 2 whole years to get granted! Perhaps if they spend less time shuffling paper then they would be a little more productive. Perhaps there is a lot of work actually involved in processing a permit. Maybe we should ask for a cost breakdown? Would be interesting to see things from their end. Might send them an email.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 14 July 2016 6:15:40 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Originally Posted by: gavin Go to Quoted Post
Eek, that's some serious price hiking being proposed!

Hobby just got very expensive! That's going to encourage a lot more illegal mining as the cost of entry to the hobby will suddenly get too high for most people to consider. It already seems too expensive to a lot of people.

That last sentence should be ringing a few bells gavin ...seems they are already getting the jump on this going by the end of last season doing a few wee raids I would expect if people start throwing in the towel & saying stuff them il just do it the pirates way itl get worse ...does anyone no what happened to the guys that got pulled up last season ?
Darren  
Posted : Thursday, 14 July 2016 7:59:10 PM(UTC)
Darren

New Zealand

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post

That last sentence should be ringing a few bells gavin ...seems they are already getting the jump on this going by the end of last season doing a few wee raids I would expect if people start throwing in the towel & saying stuff them il just do it the pirates way itl get worse ...does anyone no what happened to the guys that got pulled up last season ?

The two from Otago got a slap on the hand and a stern telling off, the west coast 'candle light' miner has gone to the courts, and the two dredges up the Howard were seized with no owners in sight.
neilie  
Posted : Thursday, 14 July 2016 8:36:17 PM(UTC)
neilie

New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gavin Go to Quoted Post
I've just emailed my submission in...

Dear sir / madam,

I'm concerned at the substantial hike in fees proposed. I feel that the hobby gold miner operating a dredge at the weekend is being marginalised and pushed into a situation where if they want to pursue their hobby they will only be able to do so illegally due to the cost barrier of entry.

As a potential solution perhaps two fee paths can be accommodated - a full price commercial fee path, and a second reduced fee path for the weekend hobbyist.

I feel it is a truly sad that it is getting harder and harder for the weekend hobby gold dredger to enjoy their pastime and of the climbing level of wealth required to enjoy the pastime.

Yours faithfully,
Gavin Harriss

crown minerals should get their act together and reduce their costs just like everyone has to nowadays! i dont see any business putting prices up by 200 to 500%. i dont see business costs going up 200 to 500% anywhere. i think its a good idea for hobbyist and commercial to be treated differently but why the necessity,because its only administration,and shouldnt cost as much as the fees we have been paying! absolutely ridiculous and a core reason why new zealand isnt doing well as a result of ridiculous fees. i can see lots of law breakers ahead ,more than there is now! why make criminals out of us who need to get out of town every now and then? neil stuart
neilie  
Posted : Thursday, 14 July 2016 8:40:54 PM(UTC)
neilie

New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
there is a meeting about this to present to the claim holders, not everyone can go. if you want to have your say or there is a vote at this meeting or it is something sinister that numbers are needed,you can appoint someone whose going as a proxy. one proxy can then have many votes or a better impact. just a thought in caseits needed ????
nafcd  
Posted : Thursday, 14 July 2016 10:22:58 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
a year or so ago I asked why fees/permits were so expensive and was told that in due course they would come down substantially to allow panning and sluicing to be viable for hobbyists. (that's all I do so didn't ask about dredging). so much for that happening. total arse about face. pricks.
element111  
Posted : Friday, 15 July 2016 12:16:20 AM(UTC)
element111

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 21 post(s)
http://i.stuff.co.nz/bus...-safety-rules-being-met#

They don't won't small scale miners
1864hatter  
Posted : Friday, 15 July 2016 8:12:15 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Will be interesting to see how far we get with the massive amounts of paperwork you have to do to do anything these days. The one sure result this will bring is an increase in costs and reduction of productivity. As well all know that is not conducive to a happy country.
NUGGY  
Posted : Friday, 15 July 2016 5:06:55 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
As with all industries today we are lumped with the huge cost of a non producing bureaucracy. They are a bunch of over educated seat polishers whose real roles are to justify their jobs and justify making their way up through the pay scales. 1 Generate as much paper work as possible - so they can show they are needed to process it all. 2 Delegate all this unnecessary paperwork to underlings, so they can become supervisors and get up another pay scale. Refer everything to other departments, so another job is available doing liaison with these departments, they are then in charge of liaison people - therefore they jump up another pay scale. Involve, lawyers, surveyors accountants as anyone dealing with these people has to be of some professional standing - you guessed it, at least one more payscale jump. So it goes on until the poor bastards doing the work are unable to pay these increasing costs and stops mining.

Years ago you went into a local mines office and spoke to The mines inspector - an ex miner and mining engineer, a real knowledgeable and experienced pro, who helped you find information, fill out any paperwork, gave great advise and would also be the man in the field making sure you were working safely and not breaking any laws/regulations. The system was to help find workable outcomes and promote success, instead of the barrier producing practices of today. It was provided as a service to the industry to help the economy and any fees were very reasonable.

There is no longer any hope of legal recreational mining for the average person, it's those few panning reserves only. The wealthy of course, can pay to be able to do whatever they wish. The old egalitarian NZ is now completely gone, along with home ownership, and a beer on the way home, elitism is our new reality.
1864hatter  
Posted : Friday, 15 July 2016 8:03:50 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Well said mate, a sad reality.
The Hatter  
Posted : Saturday, 16 July 2016 3:33:13 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Hi All

Totally amazing. They complain they are not getting any income because of many surrendering their various licenses. So they increase the fee's across the board, which then hits the dwindling numbers who have stayed on board. Thats kinda like the Fish and Chip shop on the corner, saying, gee, I am not getting enough customers to run this place. So I am gunna increase the price of my fish from $3.50 a piece to $10.00, and a scoop of chips, goes up from $2.50 to $7.50. A month later he closes his shop and declares bankruptcy.

This seems like a sinking lid policy to me. With the closure or impending closure of the major mineral producing mines in NZ. Globe, Mccraes,Waihi etc. They are going to lose major income in the way of Royalties. And of couse Solid Energy. And any other Coal mine.

We have to entities at work here, PAM, whom just go do their job, and then there is, their major stock holder, that other Ministry who would like a dividend, or at least have PAM run at no loss. I recall the good ole days. Mining Licence Application $500.00 or was it $250.00. These guys have changed their names so many times, I can't recall what they were originally called.

And at those prices for new applications they aren't going to attract many punters.

And if you make submissions, ya gotta have a puta, and do a word document and a PDF one. And you can only comment on what is contained in their stupid, gobbly geek, modern day bullshit from some ill trained drop out University Student who couldnt get a proper job.

Perhaps they should sack the Gold Police, he is probably on a $100,000 a year. He and his thugy cohorts only came into existence late or early this year. And then he came down to the South Island for a training run. Cause he is sure gunna get lots of work soon. He is an ex cop and I believe he was once stationed at Murchison. He sounds like a bit of a "I am" prick to me. I haven't met him, but two claim owners I know have.

Oh I am sure we will meet, one of these days. Just hope his bosses can afford Helicopter time or jet boat time, as that is the only way he is gunna find me.

Cheers " The Renegade" once known as " The Hatter"
2 Pages12>