New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

10 Pages«<8910
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 23 November 2012 10:14:10 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
The 'dryblowing' method of separating gold from gravel and dirt was of course well known and practiced in the outbacks of Australia and is of course exactly the same as the concept of winnowing barley or wheat.

I have used this method myself to extract Gold from fine gravel in the past and as long as there is a good light breeze blowing it is very efficient.

Edited by user Saturday, 25 May 2013 11:33:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 February 2013 11:19:09 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
The last photograph for this claim and therefore the end of this chapter - at the closest end of this straight in half an hour I found 28dwt or 42 grams of gold in one small crevice - this was the best yield from around here and in the distance where the river branches lies within the scope of this photograph is the point where the gold appeared to have run out as I never found so much as a colour above the branch in either branch despite amazingly good holding bottom which had at that point in time recently been scoured clear of rocks, boulders and gravel by floods.

There will still be a little gold here but despite the dreams of the optimists not enough to induce me to go looking for it - when I went on my last trip there we found nothing worth mentioning and therefore the last chapter on this claim came to an end.

Edited by user Tuesday, 5 February 2013 11:28:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw attached the following image(s):
047 (2).jpg
JohnSmith111  
Posted : Friday, 26 July 2013 10:51:30 PM(UTC)
JohnSmith111

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Nice place. Signs of human activity and of gold. Old water races. Very occasionally, red deer. Lovely subalpine flora, orchids, sundews, cushion bogs, tussocks. Big sky, snow and ever-changing clouds, million dollar landscapes.

A few photos: http://otagoranges.blogs...z/2013/02/lammerlaw.html

chrischch  
Posted : Friday, 26 July 2013 11:49:53 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Those are some good shots! Would be so peaceful panning and sluicing away up there. Much better than the hustle and bustle of Chch, that's for sure!
I hope Graeme comes back to tell us more stories.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
farmnz  
Posted : Saturday, 27 July 2013 11:22:25 PM(UTC)
farmnz

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
thankyou for this and other threads on paydirt, i have enjoyed my saturday evening reading your exploits. there is something special about being in the high country of otago, your photos are really good, i laughed at the landrover pics as it bought back memories of my grandfather teaching me to drive one at the age of 7, i could go anywhere i liked as long as i could see the house, it was a 1953 series 1, it had bad brakes and you had to hold the stick hard forward or it would jump into neutral when on steep hills.( its still in the shed with a cracked head). You have had a alot of success finding gold in those hills, so far i have only found enough to pay for my gp extreme, but the real reward for me is just the time away exploring and the adventure involved with it. keep the threds coming, even the gin trap/ opossum ones are interesting to me, i have a lot of my great grandfathers,i did sell a few to a collector a few years ago- he gave me $900 for about 15 with rear logos and odd sizes, i gave him a rabbit grubber to go with them, (i use one for detecting, works good with a spike welded on). i use to (before r.c.d) do alot of night shooting and plucked enough fur to buy a new benelli shotgun. anyway cheers and hope there is a book coming out sometime!.
chrischch  
Posted : Sunday, 28 July 2013 1:43:51 AM(UTC)
chrischch

Originally Posted by: farmnz Go to Quoted Post
thankyou for this and other threads on paydirt, i have enjoyed my saturday evening reading your exploits. there is something special about being in the high country of otago, your photos are really good, i laughed at the landrover pics as it bought back memories of my grandfather teaching me to drive one at the age of 7, i could go anywhere i liked as long as i could see the house, it was a 1953 series 1, it had bad brakes and you had to hold the stick hard forward or it would jump into neutral when on steep hills.( its still in the shed with a cracked head). You have had a alot of success finding gold in those hills, so far i have only found enough to pay for my gp extreme, but the real reward for me is just the time away exploring and the adventure involved with it. keep the threds coming, even the gin trap/ opossum ones are interesting to me, i have a lot of my great grandfathers,i did sell a few to a collector a few years ago- he gave me $900 for about 15 with rear logos and odd sizes, i gave him a rabbit grubber to go with them, (i use one for detecting, works good with a spike welded on). i use to (before r.c.d) do alot of night shooting and plucked enough fur to buy a new benelli shotgun. anyway cheers and hope there is a book coming out sometime!.

Sadly, it appears Lammerlaw will not be coming back. A couple of other members abused him until he left. Let's hope these "people" who chased him off can provide tales that are just as interesting but I seriously doubt that as they hardly contribute at all.
Golddigger7  
Posted : Thursday, 1 August 2013 12:16:36 PM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
thanks Lammerlaw :)
jafa  
Posted : Thursday, 1 August 2013 9:20:44 PM(UTC)
jafa

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I liked his gold story but

Edited by user Friday, 2 August 2013 12:57:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

creamer  
Posted : Friday, 2 August 2013 10:36:18 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
How inconciderate can one be Jafa to post that on someones thread. I am reporting you. Hopefully your post will be removed.

Reporting you now.
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
jafa  
Posted : Friday, 2 August 2013 12:51:48 PM(UTC)
jafa

Man

Originally Posted by: creamer Go to Quoted Post
How inconciderate can one be Jafa to post that on someones thread. I am reporting you. Hopefully your post will be removed.

Reporting you now.

Guess your rite i should have posted that elsewhere.
jafa attached the following image(s):
IMG_1658 (Copy).JPG
chrischch  
Posted : Friday, 2 August 2013 2:24:21 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Thanks Jafa, I too thought it a tad inappropriate. I think we all know how you and the other member feel about him but the rest of us don't feel that way.
Golddigger7  
Posted : Friday, 2 August 2013 3:24:43 PM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
What does JAFA mean anyway? LOL
jafa  
Posted : Friday, 2 August 2013 5:26:47 PM(UTC)
jafa

Man

Originally Posted by: Golddigger7 Go to Quoted Post
What does JAFA mean anyway? LOL

Just Another Fantastic Aucklander :)
lifejockey  
Posted : Friday, 2 August 2013 5:44:35 PM(UTC)
lifejockey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
No offence.. but you spelled the third word wrongly :)

Mike
Gold Bug Pro and Lots of Hope
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 18 August 2013 9:56:40 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Gonna miss you G.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
10 Pages«<8910