New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

10 Pages«<78910>
1864hatter  
Posted : Friday, 19 October 2012 5:23:19 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Good to see some more of your posts. I ventured up into the high country last weekend, it started to snow and within 2 hours 5cm of snow fell.
Im tough but not that tough, walking around in a creek at 1200m with driving snow is no fun. Have you been back and detected any of the areas you used to work?

Edited by user Friday, 19 October 2012 5:23:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 19 October 2012 6:52:33 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1864hatter Go to Quoted Post
Good to see some more of your posts. I ventured up into the high country last weekend, it started to snow and within 2 hours 5cm of snow fell.
Im tough but not that tough, walking around in a creek at 1200m with driving snow is no fun. Have you been back and detected any of the areas you used to work?

It was well worked and when I was there last it was hard to raise a colour. Today it would be a long long walk to find too little methinks - you can see how bare the bedrock is of gravels and it was merely a matter of progressively working up the creek weekend after weekend just scratching out cracks and crevices - nothing was missed as it is bare river bed continuously for a long long way without much in the way of gravel and rocks...scoured clean I guess by millenia of floods without much disturbance of the banks and surrounding countryside to create more debris and bring more boulders, rocks and gravel down. In the few spots where it was deeper and where there was a little rock and gravel it was taken care of by using my skin diving suit and garden back hoe.

madsonicboating  
Posted : Saturday, 20 October 2012 5:08:07 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
as usual, cool yarns followed by awesome photos...keep em coming Lammerlaw!

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 October 2012 9:53:21 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: madsonicboating Go to Quoted Post

Nearly finished with this claim and might or might not put on the few photos I have of the other two claims...if I can find them so that part two, three and four are all in this one thread in one long continuum...I would have placed the last photos for this claim on by now but have been away from my photos for a week and am currently whitebaiting and just happened to get access to a computer to see what was what and reply to a few threads if I saw anything of interest and note.

Thanks for the positive comment.

creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 25 October 2012 7:42:08 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post

Nearly finished with this claim and might or might not put on the few photos I have of the other two claims...if I can find them so that part two, three and four are all in this one thread in one long continuum...I would have placed the last photos for this claim on by now but have been away from my photos for a week and am currently whitebaiting and just happened to get access to a computer to see what was what and reply to a few threads if I saw anything of interest and note.

Thanks for the positive comment.

He he. An extremely hard life you must have down there, all that whitebait and GOLD.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 27 October 2012 9:20:15 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Creamer - You should have been here today Shane - the whitebait ran today and I had a great time - thats the good news - the bad news is that when I get home I am in for the sickle of the short head chop - some of us are total liabilities and I told my wife I would be home last Thursday night and to have tea on the table for about seven - I am still away and might go home tomorrow - but only if the weather turns to custard.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 31 October 2012 4:33:10 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

'
On this particular claim this photo was taken from the same vantage point as the last ones but this photo looks up stream - in a cave shelter below the distant cliffs a cache of old time miners gear was discovered not so many years ago.
This photo was taken 1.5ks walk from where we parked the Landrover.
Lammerlaw attached the following image(s):
046.JPG
digahole!!  
Posted : Wednesday, 31 October 2012 5:53:15 PM(UTC)
digahole!!

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Finally something interesting to read, I like the look of that, large open areas with no bush in sight to contend with, I'd take a photo of where I've been recently but it would just be a green smudge, the bush is so thick! I can't wait to get down your way! Two more weeks to go, then nine off. Keep the posts coming.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 31 October 2012 11:22:19 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: digahole!! Go to Quoted Post
Finally something interesting to read, I like the look of that, large open areas with no bush in sight to contend with, I'd take a photo of where I've been recently but it would just be a green smudge, the bush is so thick! I can't wait to get down your way! Two more weeks to go, then nine off. Keep the posts coming.

You wouldnt like it in snow white out and thick fog - I have been caught out a few times out in this country.

Give me a yell and if it times with what I am doing we can go have a look see - nothing guaranteed though.

I have another friend I would also include plus my son...just a thought at the moment.

Edited by user Thursday, 1 November 2012 1:02:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 1 November 2012 9:49:10 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)

Creamer - You should have been here today Shane - the whitebait ran today and I had a great time - thats the good news - the bad news is that when I get home I am in for the sickle of the short head chop - some of us are total liabilities and I told my wife I would be home last Thursday night and to have tea on the table for about seven - I am still away and might go home tomorrow - but only if the weather turns to custard.
Dont worry...it's only the depth that verys.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 8 November 2012 8:44:35 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: creamer Go to Quoted Post

Dont worry...it's only the depth that verys.

Nine days whitebaiting and success every day Shane - not much some days but keeps everyone happy. Best day not startling but several ice cream containers full got me enough to give to all the golden oldies - I dont sell it despite people wanting to buy it from me - I could do with the money (sic) but we have always given it to people who cant go get it for themselves - in eighty years I will be too old to go get it for myself and will cross my fingers that others will bring it to me...or will Earth be a neuked frizzled up dried scorched prune of a planet by then.

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 16 November 2012 5:47:12 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

This is the highest point in this river where there was evidence that the old timers had worked it and it was also the only spot I never found so much as a colour - they had scoured these cracks and crevices out with a fine tooth comb but above and below this point good gold was recovered.
046 (4).jpg
simon  
Posted : Friday, 16 November 2012 7:28:24 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
that wider piece of stream in the photo above looks like a perfect gold trap graeme.

i'll bet the old guys didn't look too hard above the area on each bank.

i've found many areas seem to have good gold at all heights on certain stretches of river.

the miners would have only cleaned out the wet bed of river and any close by cracks on the banks.

i'll bet the ground nearby would disclose a flake or 2.

fractured bedrock on the ridgeline is also a good place to test it seems too. same story. gold seems to run down into the bed.

it's amazing what the miners missed. i think some may have been hungover whilst mining.

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 16 November 2012 10:55:54 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Hi Simon

I had often thought about this spot and took my son there not so many years ago - it is a fair hike with all the gear now days and when we got there it was a total waste of time - not a colour - you have got me thinking though and on this claim I often found gold well and truly above the flood level in cracks and crevices when they were exposed and I cleaned them out and my son found good gold also high above the water.

To be practical it is really a walking trip now as the track is too dangerous and a person needs to spend a couple of days out there with a pup tent and all the gear to make it worth while - I am not so sure of my performance if I tried to make it as a round trip in a day now as it would be a fifteen ks round trip.

About six ks away both my son and I have found gold up near the 3000 foot mark 100 metres away from the merest trickle of water right at the top of the mountain in a sandy clay bank.

Maybe this summer - famous words I have spoken for some years now!

Edited by user Friday, 16 November 2012 10:59:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

madsonicboating  
Posted : Friday, 16 November 2012 11:55:16 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)

About six ks away both my son and I have found gold up near the 3000 foot mark 100 metres away from the merest trickle of water right at the top of the mountain in a sandy clay bank.

That's crazy...was it rough gold or worn of just small nugs?
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 17 November 2012 12:13:25 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

That's crazy...was it rough gold or worn of just small nugs?

Small rough nuggets - the photo below was taken within five minutes of finding the very first nugget and although not clear it shows my son and his cobber Sam standing at the exact place we have been finding them and it is well away from the water on the top of the ridge or more or less so.

The second photo was taken within a minute or so of finding the first small nugget and with a bit of imagination it can be seen on the trowel. The nearest water is a small trickle down behind my son in the dark shadowed area and behind him is the top of the mountain range so it is at a high elevation. The nuggets come from the bank behind him...hey these photos were for part 4 of the saga!

Edited by user Saturday, 17 November 2012 12:22:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DSCF1846 - Copy.jpg
DSCF1848.jpg
5AMP  
Posted : Sunday, 18 November 2012 11:26:52 AM(UTC)
5AMP

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Great photos and thank you for the information re gold high above rivers.I bought a garrett super sluice after,I think, JW mentioned it and noticed that the makers claim you can use it to pan without water.Has anyone tried this out as it would have obvious advantages in those high places?

Edited by user Sunday, 18 November 2012 11:32:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 22 November 2012 8:53:37 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: 5AMP Go to Quoted Post
Great photos and thank you for the information re gold high above rivers.I bought a garrett super sluice after,I think, JW mentioned it and noticed that the makers claim you can use it to pan without water.Has anyone tried this out as it would have obvious advantages in those high places?

I dont know them but you have me quite interested as one could be a handy device to own - with the exception of hte component parts we have made all our own gold mining gear over the years, cradles, sluice boxes and so on - in fact one cradle I noticed is still sitting on the bank of a stream exactly where I last used it 25 years ago.

As I get older though I keep looking at modern gear and this Garrett Super Sluice you mention seems an intersting thing to have so thanks for pointing it out and now I have to do myself some research on them.

kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 22 November 2012 6:21:25 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Thursday, 22 November 2012 6:28:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 22 November 2012 6:25:46 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 5AMP Go to Quoted Post

I dont know them but you have me quite interested as one could be a handy device to own - with the exception of hte component parts we have made all our own gold mining gear over the years, cradles, sluice boxes and so on - in fact one cradle I noticed is still sitting on the bank of a stream exactly where I last used it 25 years ago.

As I get older though I keep looking at modern gear and this Garrett Super Sluice you mention seems an intersting thing to have so thanks for pointing it out and now I have to do myself some research on them.

Hi there 5amp & Graeme, Dry panning is just the same as wet panning but without the water. It wouldnt be as efficient as with water but the principle is the same. With the shaking & panning action droping the heavies to the bottom front crease in the pan. Would take a bit longer as you would need to be a lot more careful. Be a good idea to classify the material to 10mm & smaller. Maybe even less. Any nuggets bigger than that you are sure to spot them before you discard the bigger material.
It would pay to pan the material off in to another pan. That way if you do get lucky & get a bit of gold in your pan & the risk of having accidently tossed some gold out you can then repan back in to the other pan. Even getting the material down to a spoonfull of concentrates & then keeping those concentrates & building them up in a bucket. The old timers called this bucket of concentrates a Poverty Pot. You can then take these concentrates with you & process them in a sluice box or pan them off when you get access to water.

Another method of dry panning is to use two pans. You will need a bit of wind to help you. The process is to load one pan up with material, do your shaking & panning motion to help settle the heavies. Pluck out any bigger bits, once again it would be wiser to preclassify the material. Once you have shaken & aggitated the material, stand up & with one pan on the ground below & with the pan of material you have worked & still in your hand, tip the pan up & slowly let the material pour off the edge of the pan & down in to the pan on the ground. The wind will blow away the fine dust & lighter material & hopefully any gold, being heavier, will drop more or less straight in to the pan on the ground. You may need to regulate the height in relation to the strength of the breeze. This is just another way of collecting the heavier concentrates to be processed later with the aid of water.

Good luck out there

JW :)
10 Pages«<78910>