New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

10 Pages«<678910>
digahole!!  
Posted : Saturday, 8 September 2012 7:43:49 PM(UTC)
digahole!!

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I very much agree, please don't stop posting, I ALWAYS follow what you have to say, it makes me laugh, encourages me to get out and about, and if nothing else proves I don't need as much help as some tell me I do!

Thank You for your encouragement and insight!
Nathanial
bittenbythebug  
Posted : Saturday, 8 September 2012 9:49:55 PM(UTC)
bittenbythebug

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I agree, i alway read your posts mate, but im sure part two and three will be just as interesting!
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 8 September 2012 10:22:29 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Thanks for the encouragement fellas - it does get a bit disheartening when you see that three in a row are all mine and therefore it gives one the impression that no one reads them as the comments tend to cheer me up somewhat and encourage me to keep going. If I do keep going then I intend putting the exact location of where I got my 3 ounce nugget and where other great finds were made but the area is under claim though I might expect those who hold this claim to have the decency to allow others to work it as we allowed them the right to work it while we still held it.

Keith - Landrovers - Yes! What more can I say other than they have given me some very exciting moments - maybe I shall do a thread about Landrovers and the crisises I have had - had two families up at my place today having a prospect - I wasnt there - I am poor and destitute and cant afford to go anywhere which reminds me - should anyone see a blind man wearing dark sun glasses and a top hat sitting in the Octagon in Dunedin with a wee sign saying 'Please give generously to the blind man' then do feel free to contribute generously...and I can tell the difference between washers and money!
Two friends going up there to my place tomorrow - I will be in Canterbury - possibly sitting on a park bench with a white walking stick and a sign!

Edited by user Saturday, 8 September 2012 10:26:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NUGGY  
Posted : Saturday, 8 September 2012 11:25:43 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Thanks Lammerlaw, great reading about your adventures, well done Nuggy
Free Fossicker Forster  
Posted : Sunday, 9 September 2012 9:00:55 AM(UTC)
Free Fossicker Forster

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Also enjoy your posts and storys. I'm sure if there was a tally of reads of each post, you'd be well gratified (In fact I see there is one guest browsing right now as well as myself in the Users browsing this topic below, but looking at that is probably vain as perhaps I be :)). Great wild and woolly empty looking country I wish I was there. And all encouraging to us of limited experience and successes.
gjj109  
Posted : Sunday, 9 September 2012 9:51:50 AM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
11,434 views and a photoshop view of a stuck landrover. Even I can see the ground is flat and the camera is being held on an angle.

Spring is coming and the whitebait will be running soon, if it ever stops raining. Just write the book.
NUGGY  
Posted : Sunday, 9 September 2012 1:01:52 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Hi again Lammerlaw, I too was once addicted to a Landrover. My swb truck cab was a 66 series 2a factory diesel, ex rabbit board. I owned it for 8 years, and had some fantastic adventures in it. It was incredibly cheap to run, and if driven gently could do 50 miles per gallon on diesel!
It had character the old girl, and I was pretty hard on her.It had some odd breakdowns that other 4wd owners never seemed to suffer from.
The back diff shackles broke while going downhill on a narrow 4wd road, the whole diff shot back and tyres jammed against the bodywork. It never managed to stop as quick as that using the brakes!
A log rolled as I ran over it during a shallow creek crossing, another time and a branch came up through floor and pinned my feet hard down on clutch and accelerator!
The starter suddenly decided to operate itself while going downhill on another 4wd track. I lost focus trying to cope with it and ended up in the drain with the drivers door jammed against the bank.
I got it stuck quite often, but became quite expert at getting unstuck, and apart from the diff incident never had to walk out. I seldom had the money to get it repaired by a mechanic, so had to fix most things myself, and it was terrible to work on - it seemed to have been designed to cause maximum trouble to anyone attempting to repair it. The spring fittings had to be gas cut off, to do repairs on them, those stupid cowlings around the leaky master cylinders, and the bloody brakes that drove me nuts.
Soooooo - I got a Landcruiser! it was great to work on seldom broke down and could go just as many places that the Landrover did! The trouble was though - RUST. It rusted beyond belief, galloping cancer ate it up rapidly on what seemed like a daily basis. I couldn't really fix it properly as it rusted from the inside out. I never got one to last longer than 2 or 3 years, and I went through 4 of them!
Sooooo I bought a Daihatsu Rugger, I still have it after 8 years, and it has been my best choice for reliability, ease of maintainance and 4wd ability. It's going to be replaced soon and I'm thinking Hilux at present but you never know.
Hope you don't mind my addition to your thread. Nuggy

Edited by user Monday, 10 September 2012 4:23:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

madsonicboating  
Posted : Monday, 10 September 2012 1:24:03 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gjj109 Go to Quoted Post
11,434 views and a photoshop view of a stuck landrover. Even I can see the ground is flat and the camera is being held on an angle.

Spring is coming and the whitebait will be running soon, if it ever stops raining. Just write the book.

I also think ya should write a book. I' reckon she'd be a beaut yarn! Entitled "Lammer's Law"

Just record it and make ya lad type it out haha

Keep the stories coming on here too please :) Reminds me of hanging on my uncles farm as a lad!

Dan
simon  
Posted : Monday, 10 September 2012 1:44:38 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
there's probably a book in it just about landrovers!

such a book would probably sit well with landrover as it shows what hell their vehicles have been put through in new zealand!
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 10 September 2012 10:16:47 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Nuggy - I have just arrived home from Waimate and it is truly gratifying to see others contribute so maybe a little longer. As for Landrovers - if someone began a thread about them or a general thread of True tales in the outback I would certainly contribute - I will say though that not all of my Landrover tales are high country ones - I twice tried to achieve wheelspins on tarseal with a couple of my Landrovers and on both occasions that Landrover stayed where it was because the axle snapped!
I had three major accidents in the very first year I ever owned a Landrover - I suppose the most stupid one of the lot was knowing that there were X number of power poles between one intersection and another and because the windscreen was steamed up on a cold day I simply looked out the drivers side window, counted the number of power poles then spun the steering wheel to go around a corner...the result is not a Gold mining yarn so will remain untold - I think that might have been the accident that lost me my licence...but then again another accident might have been the one that cost my licence
Ever seen your own wheel complete with axle pass you on the main road? - had that happen at Waikouaiti but thats also another story as are the stories of my spare wheel coming off the bonnet and chasing me down the road - three times! On one occasion it hit the curb, shot over someones front fence, mowed a row of rose bushes down then went around into their back yard and came to rest in their potato patch. i managed to retreive it and head west before they woke up to the carnage and I bet for the remainder of their lives wondered how in Hades a single large wheel left one wheel print down the row of roses and out into their back garden!
The bonnet came off once to - complete with spare wheel!
Great things Landrovers! - I still have the one that feature in the story of this claim.

Edited by user Monday, 10 September 2012 10:23:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwikeith  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 September 2012 10:03:59 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi boys
i love those landrover stories
i have a few supose only natural as im on my 18th landrover i ask is that because they keep breaking i look into my paddock and say yes to the one on blocks

my claim takes it toll on mine with tyre rod bent and back arm that stops the back axele leaving the back end bending last trip and bent the drive shaft the trip before but what the hell bend them back in to shape and carry on
NUGGY  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 September 2012 11:00:03 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Hi Lammerlaw, No, Except for when the whole back diff came adrift, I never had a wheel come off my Landrover - maybe I wasn't operating it properly LOL. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare though, and probably expensive to fix.
I once drove the Landrover for about ten k's with my head out the tiny sliding window, as migraine symptoms meant I couldn't see out of the windscreen. I got home and parked on the road. When the pain finally subsided I was amazed to see I had parked it almost in the middle of the road. I was living in Reefton then, and it says much about small town West Coast priorities, as no-one hassled me about it, even though it sat there for about 5 hours in the middle of a week day!
That day the diff came off I was about 5 k's from the tar seal, on a seldom used forestry track. I had caught 2 live wild goats to sell, and had 3 dogs with me. I hid my tools etc in the scrub and walked out with difficulty with my only sometimes obedient dogs mostly behind me, and the goats ahead on leads. The dogs and goats I tied up off the side of the highway, while I flagged down a car and managed to persuade the nervous lady driver to call my wife to come and get me. The seven of us in a 2 door Mazda 323, had a nerve wracking 20 k trip back to town!
Later NUGGY

Edited by user Tuesday, 11 September 2012 11:13:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

oroplata  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 September 2012 12:38:31 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NUGGY Go to Quoted Post
. I was living in Reefton then, and it says much about small town West Coast priorities, as no-one hassled me about it, even though it sat there for about 5 hours in the middle of a week day!

Are you Rosco? :)

NUGGY  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 September 2012 11:23:46 AM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NUGGY Go to Quoted Post
. I was living in Reefton then, and it says much about small town West Coast priorities, as no-one hassled me about it, even though it sat there for about 5 hours in the middle of a week day!

Are you Rosco? :)

No I'm Not Rosco, I'm John
NUGGY  
Posted : Thursday, 13 September 2012 9:45:26 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

As an update which might interest someone. I just bought my new 4wd It's a 70 series flat deck Landcruiser. A 1997 model 4.2 diesel, silver grey. She's a bit scruffy, but I can feel myself getting attached already!!!! The fuel gauge does not work, and I'm wondering if the previous owner disconnected it to avoid the depression that comes from watching it rapidly go down. Later NUGGY
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 13 September 2012 9:51:50 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
should have brought a landrover
NUGGY  
Posted : Thursday, 13 September 2012 10:02:17 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Sorry, but never again Keith, I only ever had the one, but could never put myself through that sort of trauma again. Very interested to hear about how other people go with them though. NUGGY

Edited by user Saturday, 22 September 2012 12:45:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 21 September 2012 10:42:57 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Landrovers tend to get a person into trouble - garages wanting bills paid, Hire purchase man sending the heavies around. No it hasnt actually happened to me - the closest was my sister Television set and I happened to be there but thats a story in its own right - I actually had the older bloke in tears (I kid you not) lecturing him about how he was an evil arsehole who loved his job repossessing stuff from people who were less fortunate than him and how he was a leech sucking the poor and destitute dry - his sidekick the 'heavy' stood at the bottom of the steps with his arms folded trying to look like the Kempai Tai - with me at the top of the steps telling him that the moment he entered the house he was fair game - "Come on dare you to" - he just stood there looking blank. The advice out of this is that they cannot enter your house without prior notice or couldnt then and the retailer had given no intention of repossessing so I did know that the rights were on my sisters side - Himmler and Gorilla just arrived out of the blue and it just happened to be when I was there. As it was we won the round and my sister - there was a Pop group back then named after her - 'Twisted Sister' - got to keep her TV...actually I think that the Brother in law got it - when they separated.

Landrovers also do strange things in the middle of absolutely no where - as I said in one of my earlier comments above - in any case this next photo was nearly as far as you could drive on our last claim. The last time I went down here the wheel went through the bridge decking but today it is now washed right out and negotiable by nothing past the bridge - back then you could drive another half mile and that was the end of the road - the claim went another two or so miles.

At the time the photo was taken it was already a risky move trying to get up here and on several occasions had a great deal of trouble getting through the wash out. The track in front of the Landrover is now more or less swamp even though it slopes downhill and has become spongy through seepage and totally non negotiable to any 4WD vehicle - the last time I was here my son and I got the bikes down but I insisted in taking both of them back up as it is now risky even with three and four wheeler bikes.

Edited by user Monday, 1 October 2012 12:50:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw attached the following image(s):
045 (3).jpg
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 18 October 2012 9:03:16 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Toward the end of the 1980s it was risky taking the Landrover over the bridge in the last photo and then trying to get it back up through the washout and large rocks and lumps of wood had to be carried to fill in parts of the washout.

By the time these photos were taken if there was even a hint of inclement weather and rain we walked. No sign at all of the erea ever have been worked except in one small spot and from where the Landrover is parked we averaged half an ounce or 16 grams from ever crevice and crack..pure magic - I told my son about this place and we went up there a couple of times and today it is nearly impossible to raise a colour there so not worth the effort anymore as we thoroughly scoured it clean.

The captions at the top of the photos say it all.

In winter it aint country for the faint hearted - its looks Innocent enough but I have been caught out here on the rolling tops in fog more than once and didnt have the foggiest where I was and also caught out here when a sudden blizzard arrived from the south - began as a lovely day then it became deathly still - and eerie - not a breeze, not a bird - nothing - and then black rolling clouds struck from the south so suddenly that the wind arrived in one huge gust and from sun to whiteout in less than a minute.

Also been out here in winter when it was warmish with the sun up but the moment the sun dropped it became frightfully cold - nice country to walk in during winter with deep snow and late at night during the nights of the full moon - a magic about it then.

Up here I never in all the years met one other living soul - there was just us.

Edited by user Thursday, 18 October 2012 9:10:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

045 (4).jpg
045.JPG
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 19 October 2012 5:14:25 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Progressing further up our claim the river of course got smaller and smaller - It was a long walk to the top of the claim and the further up the riuver we worked the further we had to walk to begin from where we had left off last trip.

Every crack and every crevice yielded on average half an ounce - I guess it had never been worked - magic days and a magic place and I bet theres a thousand more places like this throughout the country but the strange thing is that modern fossickers seem to think the best areas to work are either what has been worked over a hundred times before or where someone else happens to have a claim - not true. This photo was taken from 1500 metres up the stream from my Landrover and after we had worked this stretch of river - it was taken when walking up the river further to do a days work.

Edited by user Friday, 19 October 2012 5:19:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

046 (2).jpg
046 (3).jpg
10 Pages«<678910>