New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
dudlite  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 9:02:15 PM(UTC)
dudlite

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello everyone.

I'm new to metal detecting and need some advice on spots. I am using a fisher f2 detector and so far have found mostly junk. I live in hamilton and have tried detecting around some parks but since i don't have a pinpointer i seem to make a big hole before i find anything so am thinking about going to the beach. Any advice would be great.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 9:13:08 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dudlite Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone.

I'm new to metal detecting and need some advice on spots. I am using a fisher f2 detector and so far have found mostly junk. I live in hamilton and have tried detecting around some parks but since i don't have a pinpointer i seem to make a big hole before i find anything so am thinking about going to the beach. Any advice would be great.

With all three of my metal detectors I have never seen any need whatsoever for a pin pointer as you can easily 'centre' where an object is by passing the search coil over form side to side and then from top to bottom - I never had any trouble and have never yet destroyed or marred a coin and only made neat little hole
jafa  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 9:18:02 PM(UTC)
jafa

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Maybe lammerlaw your neat little hole,s in the side of a hill somewere in the boondocks mite be big crater in someone,s back yard or park;))
dudlite  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 9:18:34 PM(UTC)
dudlite

Hey thanks for the fast reply. I am having a hard time pinpointing exactly where it is for some reason. Also i get beeps some times then cannot find a signal again. Is this items that are very deep? Or little bits of metal in the dirt?
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 9:22:19 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: jafa Go to Quoted Post
Maybe lammerlaw your neat little hole,s in the side of a hill somewere in the boondocks mite be big crater in someone,s back yard or park;))

I am not so f***ing dumb as not to know what I am doing - I said a 'small hole' and I meant a ****ing small hole...you know what a small hole is in relation to digging a coin - maybe two inches across - I have double standards depending on where I am and what I am doing but in parks and so on I am natures perfect gentleman.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 9:25:25 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Hey thanks for the fast reply. I am having a hard time pinpointing exactly where it is for some reason. Also i get beeps some times then cannot find a signal again. Is this items that are very deep? Or little bits of metal in the dirt?

Best to ask kiwijw about that but sometimes I can get beeps with my old Garrett and have with my Goldbug but it is a loose connection or an anomaly rather than something that is there that isnt there.
oroplata  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 9:45:20 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

" i don't have a pinpointer...Any advice would be great. "

Get a pinpointer! :)

jafa  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 9:45:30 PM(UTC)
jafa

Man

Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post

I am not so f***ing dumb as not to know what I am doing - I said a 'small hole' and I meant a ****ing small hole...you know what a small hole is in relation to digging a coin - maybe two inches across - I have double standards depending on where I am and what I am doing but in parks and so on I am natures perfect gentleman.

Well lammerlaw maybe you should of stated how small your hole was in the first place then there wouldnt be any confusion i kinda figerd a small hole for you digging up nuggets would be knee deep and a foot wide.....but guess your probably to old and as you,v stated before "lazy" to dig that deep these days anyway.....but yea ok 2" that is small....so how do you get the coin out of a 2" hole if say the coin is 7 or more inch,s deep....?
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 9:57:55 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Pin pointer is a must for parks etc... recovery time -40%
Hamilton is an interesting area. - me and Andrew might come over once he gets another detector and will drag you along.

OLD trees check in the roots. :D
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 9:58:50 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
hi dudelite and wellcome to the forum....as for the signals with the F2...if you get a signal and it disapears again it usually means it is small bits of junk..or as you say metal in the dirt...it wont be items that are very very deep as the F2 as other detectors can only go down so far depending on the size of the target..
if it is something real deep it would have to be of good size and you wouldnt lose the signal..

as for pin pointing it takes alot of practise,but i can tell you with the F2 you have a pinpoint button..so once you get a good signal you swing side to side while holding the button down slowly and when you get the smallest number you are basically over the target..do the same in both directions...side to side and top to bottom and when you get the smallest number while holding pinpoint you will soon have a good idea of where the target is..

.I normally use the pinpoint button on my goldbug and once i have it to where i think the target is i dig a hole about 4 inches in diamiter from the center of where i have pinpointed to.and i normally dont mark the coin ..as i said it takes alot of time and pratise to get the pinpointing down when you dont have a pin pointer but you will get there.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 9:59:04 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Well lammerlaw maybe you should of stated how small your hole was in the first place then there wouldnt be any confusion i kinda figerd a small hole for you digging up nuggets would be knee deep and a foot wide.....but guess your probably to old and as you,v stated before "lazy" to dig that deep these days anyway.....but yea ok 2" that is small....so how do you get the coin out of a 2" hole if say the coin is 7 or more inch,s deep....?

You know it has taken me years to know why I used to throw Jafas off the balcony in the picture theatre - now I think I know - Im am not old - cheeky shit - if you had one ounce of sense you would know that a small hole has to be in proportion to what you are looking for, so a small hole dug to find a missing D4 bulldozer obviously has to be one hell of a lot bigger than a small hole to retrieve a coin which has been precisely located and a round plug from two to three inches in diameter is just dandy for the coin...as for lazy - I have always been lazy, I like being lazy, it makes me feel good being lazy while poor sods like you work - work is against my religious principles - the only time I am not lazy and the only time I work hard is when I am looking for Gold.

If the coin is seven inches deep then I dig a small hole in proportion to the depth of the coin - now what else do you want to know.

Edited by user Saturday, 3 March 2012 10:00:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 10:04:30 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
i see jafa still doesnt have anything good to say...just likes to try causing trouble...

dudlite..if you have been following post the i sugest listening to what lammerlaw (graham ) has to say..he is very knowledgeable..
and as far as signals go with the F2 then i would also say talk to madsonicboating as he has one and so does chrischch and they can both give some signals numbers and what they could mean as far as what the treasure is.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
jafa  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 10:11:27 PM(UTC)
jafa

Man

lol jafa,s are to good to throw away m&m,s maybe....."now what else do you want to know"....were your top secret gold locations are.....i am prepared to send some of my m8,s finest homebrew.....i think... rum.. down
You can PM me if you like lammerlaw;)
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 11:15:01 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Hello everyone.

Hi Dudlite,

Even though you are having some trouble pinpointing it sounds as though you are having fun detecting and that's the main thing.

When you first start out your detector may be giving you a lot more information than you can make sense of, so you could try
reducing the sensitivity a little to reduce the information. Also you could bury a $1 and $2 coin separately about 3 to 5 cm deep and take note of
the numbers that show when you swing your coil over them. This might get you some finds to start you off. The rest will come with practice but to
speed up your hunt you will need a pin pointer before long. I suggest a Garrett Pro Pointer as the best on the market.

If you do go to the beach then the East coast is best as the iron sand on the West makes detecting quite difficult.

HH

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2012 11:36:16 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

lol jafa,s are to good to throw away m&m,s maybe....."now what else do you want to know"....were your top secret gold locations are.....i am prepared to send some of my m8,s finest homebrew.....i think... rum.. down

Never let it be said that I am not prepared to share so if like to go to this location then Bobs your uncle - treasure - Gold to but rather than coins its a couple of ingots - I give them to you as you are closer and therefore its more practical for you to go chasing them - 35deg 35' 33.47" S 176deg 01' 56.95" E

I dont drink Homebrew - only Liquid Lightning or Chivas Regal.

Edited by user Saturday, 3 March 2012 11:37:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Skiwi  
Posted : Sunday, 4 March 2012 8:13:55 AM(UTC)
Skiwi

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Never let it be said that I am not prepared to share so if like to go to this location then Bobs your uncle - treasure - Gold to but rather than coins its a couple of ingots - I give them to you as you are closer and therefore its more practical for you to go chasing them - 35deg 35' 33.47" S 176deg 01' 56.95" E

Damn we need a lol button!
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Sunday, 4 March 2012 8:52:53 AM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)

Lammerlaw, i was already packing my deector to go after treasure at 35 35' 33.47" S 176 01' 56.95" E, but then checked and realised that Sunken ship filled with gold is too deep for my gold bug and i do not have sea hunter or Escalibur to go there. Maybe next year :D
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Sunday, 4 March 2012 10:16:03 AM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
On the subject of lost signals: if it was a good strong signal to start with it could be a coin that while digging you flipped on end and is down the side of the bottom of hole somewhere. If I don't have a pinpointer I will carve the edge of the hole (carefully) and try and flip it back out again to where I can get a signal. Also, sometimes little bits of iron will have a giant rust cloud in the soil around them, this tricks the detector into thinking it is something better than iron. When you dig through it and break it up the detector discriminates the iron and you get nothing and wonder where it went. You can switch to all metal (well, not with an F2, but you can reduce the discrimination down to nothing) and it will show up again with a weak iron reading.

I am kind of torn about pinpointers. For a long time I didn't use one and never missed it. Then someone was asking me how good the Fisher ones were and I told them I didn't think they were particularly good but took it out to give it a chance. Turns out they are better than I had thought and now I take it with me all the time. I would say 3/4's of the time I don't use it, but there are times when it is really handy and saves time. I mostly use it when I have cut a plug out of the ground and think I should be looking at the target (judging by the depth the detector says it was) but it isn't there. Before I start digging further I use the pinpointer to see if it is just under the surface or just off to the side somewhere. If I get a hit it saves a lot of time to just pop it out. So I kind of like having it, but at this point am not willing to fork out the money to get a good one like the propointer becaue I don't really need it.
dudlite  
Posted : Sunday, 4 March 2012 12:26:18 PM(UTC)
dudlite

Thankyou everyone for the pm's and replies, they have been very helpful. I happened to find my first proper coin last night, a 1957 australian penny. If anyone is in hamilton some time, drop me a line and we could go hunting together. Cheers Dave.
Guardian  
Posted : Sunday, 4 March 2012 5:22:57 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Most of my holes are about the same size as a standard Baked Beans Tin.
A Pinpointer makes the task sooo much easier especially when the target is in the wall of the hole or hiding in the middle of the plug. If your hunting in bark playgrounds (a great place to learn) many coins will have discoloured or have a crust on them which makes them very hard to see.

2 Pages12>