New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
nuggetman  
Posted : Thursday, 2 December 2010 12:37:17 PM(UTC)
nuggetman

Groups: Registered
Man

Hi'we will be embarking on our 4th annual gold-hunting trip to S.I. in a week or so. Recovering flood gold has been worth more than $17'000 thus far. Equipment is all DIY and mostly made from junked materials: sluicebox with expanded metal and carpet,optional riffles or gauze, classifier that fits at right-angles to sluice,and a hand suction device with varying nozzles and collectors:
nuggetman  
Posted : Thursday, 2 December 2010 12:40:42 PM(UTC)
nuggetman

Man

Sorry-having problems posting pictures.Will persevere.
fivestar gold  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 April 2011 3:31:57 PM(UTC)
fivestar gold

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Nuggetman
Have you got those pitures of your DIY equipment sorted yet.
cheers Fivestar Gold
Eagle  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 April 2011 2:11:46 PM(UTC)
Eagle

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hey Nuggetman hope you leave a little bit of that flood gold for us Southerners.
Still waiting for photos?

Eagle
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 26 May 2011 5:44:01 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
I like it - a DIY man - it amazes me those who get the most modern machinery etc - I know that Keenes etc are all good but to see a DIY person in this day and age is just great.
I still use gear that was made before any such things as Keenes etc existed in NZ - in fact my underwater dredger is probably the second one made in NZ as it was my uncles first one and made about fifty years ago...sometimes I think it looks as though we are bananas using such old gear - but it works.

Love to see some photos of your gear.

Edited by user Thursday, 26 May 2011 5:56:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cavey  
Posted : Thursday, 26 May 2011 2:07:10 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Would be nice to see some of your pictures of your DIY gear other than my steel gold pans i make my own gear run a home made sluice box and when i first started was using a gold cradle that i made from a picture in a book. Makes it a bit better when you find gold with something you have made your self.

Cavey
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 26 May 2011 5:40:12 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
anyone got a cradle? i made one based on a picture of a chinese miners one, back when i was about 16. was pretty well built. its up in christchurch at my parents place.

thinking about getting in back and modifying it with a bilge pump and some spray jets and a bit of an upgrade in the riffle system. i reckon some springs in the rocker setup may be an improvement too..

the chinese seemed to do pretty well with cradles. i guess they worked ok for them as they tended to stay put in a place unlike the europeans that often moved about a bit more.

simon.
Juggie  
Posted : Friday, 27 May 2011 10:09:59 AM(UTC)
Juggie

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I was working on a lightweight design using plastic that could be colapsed down for easier storage, but decided to drop the idea when I designed my rail system & found it increased the efficiency of my ripple box ... no more classifing into a bucket 1st.

My conclussion is that using a ripple box is faster, easier to carry or use & more efficient, although there are times when a craddle could be better (pool of water instead of flowing water).
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 27 May 2011 1:14:49 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi guys,
Here is a pic of a cradle I made out of a couple of wooden nail box's & some other gear I have thrown together.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

My first ever sluice box

UserPostedImage

My 2nd sluice box

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Fitted with a wooden classifier header box I made for it to take my 2" suction nozzle set up

UserPostedImage

My first crevice sucker & two crevice scrapers & snuffer bottle

UserPostedImage

Under water view finder & classifying sieve buckets

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Highbanker/banjo

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Back packable 3" dredge

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

All fits into pack

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

That will do for now.

Happy hunting

JW :)

Edited by user Saturday, 4 June 2011 8:12:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

overdog  
Posted : Friday, 27 May 2011 3:18:54 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Bloody hell John! How do you carry that lot around? Pack animal? :)
mem  
Posted : Friday, 27 May 2011 3:37:13 PM(UTC)
mem

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Exatly what i was thinking overdog,and still wondering lol.
kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 28 May 2011 1:23:52 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Oh come on you lot. I dont carry the whole bloody lot around all in one go. Each set up is for a different applications. CRICKY!!
Are you refering to the whole lot or just the 3" back pack set up??

kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 28 May 2011 7:41:55 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Mem/Overdog, If you are refering to the 3" back packable dredge set up. I would have thought it quite obvious. The Back pack is carried on your shoulders....you know.....like a B A C K P A C K. The 3" suction nozzle slides down the inside of the side straps on the pack. The 3" suction hose slides down the side straps on the other side of the pack. The pump water pick up hose slides down into the suction nozzle & I carry the bucket in one of my hands & I may or may not carry a long handled shovel in my other hand which can come in handy for using as a walking stick or keeping balance when crossing streams & can also be used for shoveling gravel or digging to bed rock.
The pack animal is me. I am no soft cock pussy when it comes to carrying a bit of weight. Tramping up & down mountain sides, up and down steep sided Coromandel bush clad hills, gullies & water falls puts a bit of spine into your back bone, So wonder no more

JW

Edited by user Thursday, 15 September 2011 7:30:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mem  
Posted : Saturday, 28 May 2011 10:40:30 PM(UTC)
mem

Man

The pack animal is me. I am no soft cock pussy when it comes to carrying a bit of weight. Tramping up & down mountain sides, up and down steep sided Coromandel bush clad hills, gullies & water falls puts a bit of spine into your back bone, So wonder no more Mem

Hi John,i know the pack animal is you,didnt mean to offend,i was just thinking to myself heck i couldnt do that.
Mem
mem  
Posted : Saturday, 28 May 2011 10:44:57 PM(UTC)
mem

Man

. Guess you will find out when you come down under to clean out the Coromandel of all its gold that you reckon you are going to do. Remember that post you made??...

Yes i do john,i think anyone would have guessed that was tongue in cheek remarks,as you know i call myself the armchair fossicker,that should tell you all.
Mem.
mem  
Posted : Saturday, 28 May 2011 10:57:56 PM(UTC)
mem

Man

.& the other things you said.... I do..... Have & show a bit of respect then if you reckon you learnt so much from posts I & others put up on a certain American forum & dont be so cock sure of yourself.

Well john i have looked back to all the posts i have made,i dont see any problems there,i have the utmost respect for every one on this forum
and about being cocksure most definately not,dont forget i am just the armchair fossicker,i come here to gleen a bit of information, and try and make friends.
Well it sounds like i am off your X Mas list as well,so i wont bother asking you to take me out on to the coromandel then.
Any other offers please.
Now i am wondering how long has this outburst been brewing inside you,and it has taken such a little thing as wondering how you carried your gear up the hills set it off.
Mem.
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 29 May 2011 4:24:25 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi Mem, Then you have a very strange way of trying to make friends....if you have learnt so much from my posts, & others , thats great as that is what forums are about to me. I to have learnt a lot from the forums over the years but I have also learnt a lot from just doing it out in the field & finding out the hard way, what works, what doesnt. Making my own gear, adjusting it here & there to improve it etc. I like to give back to like minded people, tips & tricks & things I have found out the hard way. I have met some great people & made many friends in my pursuit for gold, that is the true gold. Have many great adventures, see some beautiful country, but yes I took a bit of offence when you threw it back in my face with a few "cheeky armchair critic" comments. To me thats a strange way to try & make a friend......
I am also deffinatly the wrong person to ask to take anyone fossicking in the coromandel & any where else for that matter. Mainly in the coromandel because fossicking for gold is not an acceptable practice in the eyes of the law here. That in its self should tell you volumes as to why I dont invite people with me or give locations away. The consequences are too great. I have just this year been dobbed in to Enviromant Waikato by a tree hugging, frog arse licking greenie & the trip I went down with that drama has made me even more secretive & on edge as I am now a marked man in the Coro.
I am sure you have been following Lammerlaws posts on land owners permission & the many reasons why he has now locked his gates. The trouble is, you just cant Trust most people & it isnt worth the risk. The risks are too high & it is better off not even going there. It only takes one person & Lammerlaw has been bitten too often. I know exactly where he is coming from.
It takes huge trust for a person to share locations. I am sure you can appreciate why after reading Lammerlaws posts. He & I are on the same wave length there & I am sure you will find the more seasoned prospectors are the same.
I never asked any one where to go or where there favourite spots are. You just dont do that. Sure....for a new chum it is the easiest & lazyest way to try & hook on to a spot. It is also the new chum who is all caught up in the excitement etc that will blabber the most. You need to learn through doing the hard yards out in the field of hard knocks. After you have been at it for a while you will understand what I, Lammerlaw & others are on about. Reading & research leads you to where to go. If & when a more seasoned prospector gains confidence & trust in you "they" may open up & take you or tell you where to go. But you never ask. If you are showen or told a spot you keep it to yourself & tell no one..... Its a golden rule....well it is to me any way.

NEVER EVER name or show spots or locations on a public forum for the whole world to see. No one has the right to do that unles they are the claim holder, but then why would they want to do that???.....Public recreational sites are the exception.
I mean no harm or offence to any one out there, but just use your common sense & think things through. Respect the rights of land owners & there reasons why they may refuse access....they will be for good reasons...to them any way & that is all that matters.
Always make sure you arent on claimed ground. That is getting more difficult every the day.

Happy hunting

starflash  
Posted : Sunday, 29 May 2011 11:13:39 AM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
anyway getting back to the topic

your quite the craftsman jw, that rocker box cradle looks like a piece of art, love to see a few picks of it working. do you need a pump for the water or would buckets do the trick? like the old timers

my first sluice was an all plywood affair, surprising how good it was in keeping the fines. i still havent found time to get out in the coro this year, off to tonga soon for a couple of weeks, maybe after that?
cheers starflash
madsonicboating  
Posted : Sunday, 29 May 2011 6:49:51 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
I agree starflash...thats some sharp looking DIY ya had there JW.

Me thinks I will be rummaging my sheds over next few days to see what "parts" I can find to start some own tools up. I havn't even got an underwater viewer yet doh!

MSB
kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 4 June 2011 6:49:53 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi guys, Starflash & MSB. Thanks for your comments on my DIY gear. Being a carpenter/builder making things comes quite easily. When I got the gold bug & looked around for gear.....there just wasnt any avaiable to buy in NZ without having to get it from the States or Australia. With the dollar & freight it costs an arm & a leg to get stuff from the States & both arms & both legs to get it from Aussie.
So I just started making my own. Friends liked what I made & it just grew from there to the stuff I now have on this site under SHOP.
The cradle was more of a novelty project to fill in some cold winter nights when I was down in Queenstown back in the early 90's. I took it to the Shotover to give it a trial & it worked sure enough. I just laddled water through like the old timers. Too slow though.
From sluice box's the natural progression was to a 2" dredge using the same sluice box & keeping it small enough & light enough to be able to back pack the whole set up. Notice the 3 crevices to the left of the suction nozzle. I got some nice gold out of those.

UserPostedImage

4" dredge is a different kettle of fish when it comes to carting about. I did the same set up above with a 4" version. Bigger & heavier motor/pump

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The little highbanker/banjo with its powerfull water jets is great for breaking up clayey material & runs on engine start up idle only. Good for putting general stream bed material through & when down to shallow bed rock I can convert it to a 2" suction nozzle dredge using the same motor/pump to suck up the bed rock cracks & crevices for a total clean up. Got a garden hose running off the pump as well to really wash the bed rock & provide water for the nozzle to suck up.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Starflash, I was going to go bush this weekend but the weather gods havnt smiled.

Happy hunting all

2 Pages12>