New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

chrischch  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 July 2013 6:51:00 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Well I think it's time to bite the bullet and get a pin pointer. Where did all you guys get yours from? I don't see any on trademe. I'm a bit hesitant to get the Fisher one as it doesnt seem to be very popular although Robert seemed reasonable impressed by his.
What do you knowledgable folk think? Garrett pro pointer?
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
Guardian  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 July 2013 7:00:25 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Go Garrett Pro Pointer or Minelab Pro Find.

If you get the Pro-pointer read up through the threads and you will see some tips on keeping them clean - I highly recommend using the bike tube from day 1.

http://www.paydirt.co.nz...ointer.aspx#.Ue4bym34t58

cavey  
Posted : Saturday, 17 August 2013 7:08:37 AM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi

Im also after a pin pointer but don't have a big budget was looking at the fisher f point I can get through puiaki supplies any body used one or has any one got one for sale as I said budget aint big so any help would be great.

Stu
Guardian  
Posted : Saturday, 17 August 2013 9:38:43 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

As highly as I regard fisher equipment their pin-pointers are better than nothing but really are not very good.
My old man used his once and then replaced it with a Garrett Pro-pointer.
Probably looking at around $200 for a Pro-pointer.
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Saturday, 17 August 2013 10:33:52 AM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Here is the thing about the Fisher F-Point pin pointers; compared to the Pro Pointer type pointers they are not even in the same league. They don't have the range, they don't vibrate, they don't have lights, and they don't beep faster/louder as you get closer to the target. When I first got one I thought it was basically worthless and rarely used it. As a result I got pretty good at pinpointing with the detector and finding targets without a pin pointer. That is I am pretty good a figuring out exactly where the target is before I start digging, how deep it is going to be, then spotting it in the plug or hole. Of course that does not always work out and the target isn't where I thought it should be and then I pull out the pin pointer.

So my strategy became to spend a bit of time pinpointing with the detector, then dig fast, and find the target quickly since I know where it is. If I don't spot it when the plug comes out I wave the plug over the coil; if it is in there I crack it in half and if not dig down another layer. If that does not turn anything up I reach for the pin pointer. My goal is to dig, find, and refill as fast as possible so I can move on to the next target. I would estimate that on average I find the target quickly without a pin pointer 7 out of 10 times. But as you all know it is that 1 out of 10 times that you just can't find a target that burns up a lot of detecting time. So if I forget the pin pointer in the car I am always torn whether I should go and get it; because you don't really need it. Except when you do.

I have noticed other people with good pin pointers often do the opposite; as soon as they locate a target they dig, then use the pin pointer to find the target. I have never done a timed study, but I suspect that this is actually slower. The reason being that to do this you have to dig larger plugs, or risk nicking the targets. Also you have to get the pin pointer out every time and use it and then put it away which takes time. However, if this is the way you like to detect you are not going to be happy with the Fisher F-Point. It does not have the range and if you have no idea where the target is that beep faster as it gets closer feature of the expensive pin pointers is incredibly useful.

So when people ask me if the F-Point is a good pin pointer it is hard to answer because it depends on how you intend to use it; if you are going to use it the way I do it works fine. If on the other hand you intend to use your detector to generally find targets and the pin pointer to really locate them, then you are going to be very unhappy with the F-Point because it is not well suited to that kind of searching.

Hope that helps.

-Robert
Chewton  
Posted : Saturday, 17 August 2013 11:32:00 AM(UTC)
Chewton

New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post
Well I think it's time to bite the bullet and get a pin pointer. Where did all you guys get yours from? I don't see any on trademe. I'm a bit hesitant to get the Fisher one as it doesnt seem to be very popular although Robert seemed reasonable impressed by his.
What do you knowledgable folk think? Garrett pro pointer?

I am like you Chris, which pointer do I choose, and I have read heaps on other forums re. comparing the 2. I think I would buy one on price first, and customer service second which means the Garrett wins.
XP Deus - 28mm x 32mm coil
Lesche
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Saturday, 17 August 2013 12:24:18 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

I think if there is a get together in Reefton we should plan to get all the pin pointers together and try them out. It is hard to compare by the advertising. I was just reading about the Garretts and Minelabs and I can't tell that one is any different than the other, would be good to get my hands on them and take them for a test drive.
latch  
Posted : Saturday, 17 August 2013 1:15:58 PM(UTC)
latch

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
i prefer the garrett pro pointer,but having a f pointer is better than not having one at all and the price is good
fiend hard and find all
chrischch  
Posted : Saturday, 17 August 2013 4:24:32 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
I ended up getting a propointer from an Ebay seller that Guardian told me about. Arrived in less than a week and was about $200. I dont know how I lived without one!
It even finds the metal rods in my wifes back!
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
Guardian  
Posted : Saturday, 17 August 2013 4:44:21 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Smack on the hand for cutting complete plugs Robert! tisk tisk.... If you used your pin pointer you wouldn't need to. *8^)

Anyways.

Try hunting in bark, you will soon see how beneficial a pin pointer is as most coins either get discoloured or caked in crud.

Edited by user Saturday, 17 August 2013 4:45:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rgmcbrid  
Posted : Saturday, 17 August 2013 7:06:56 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

No I cut horseshoe plugs if it is shallow. Partial credit?
Guardian  
Posted : Saturday, 17 August 2013 8:25:26 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Hmmm wellll ahhhh...

I'll agree with people learning how to pinpoint properly first nothing more annoying than having to cut another plug halfway through the first one.
It's about finding a happy medium between an oversized plug and a tiny liddle one that is sure to die.
I'd say most of mine are about 4" wide always leave a flap if I need to excavate more I can do so easily back fill then flip the plug back in. That's another story though.

The Pro-pointers are brilliant but have a few little glitches. Nearly all of them false if pressure is put on the side of them which makes you wonder why they have a scraping blade, my theory is this is a marketing tool and the 'scraping blade' is more likely to give a bit more rigidity.
The seal over the power switch isn't great and eventually lets crud into the switch, the led only has a foam type seal which I feel should have been better. BUT I'm aware of these quirks and wouldn't hesitate to replace mine with another. I do suggest following Life Jockey's idea of covering it with a bike tube from day one!

The Minelab has what appears to be a momentary soft power switch has a better led setup, is more sensitive to fine gold, but why does it have sensitivity adjustment? I think from memory it has a slightly slower recovery speed as well but I'm sure it's something you get used to.
Take all the minelab gibber with a grain of salt as I haven't actually used one.. Hey DB if you read this what's your opinion on this? I know you have used both.

Another one I've been curious about was the Pistol probe they are PI but that's about all I know. Might be a little flimsy
Chewton  
Posted : Saturday, 17 August 2013 8:52:15 PM(UTC)
Chewton

New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Has anyone tried the "Vibra Probe 580 Pinpointer", costs about US$130

Its a PI vibrating pointer and can handle being underwater to 30m, tilt it to turn on and off

No more switch issues like the Garrett has
XP Deus - 28mm x 32mm coil
Lesche
cavey  
Posted : Wednesday, 21 August 2013 6:38:34 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Thanks for all the advice but im going to give the fisher f point a try as my budget aint big and im not detecting a lot so we will see how it goes.

Stu
cavey  
Posted : Monday, 2 December 2013 6:42:33 AM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post
I ended up getting a propointer from an Ebay seller that Guardian told me about. Arrived in less than a week and was about $200. I dont know how I lived without one!
It even finds the metal rods in my wifes back!

Hi could you please point me in the direction of the ebay seller as im after a propointer or where in nz can i buy.

Stu
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 2 December 2013 6:52:04 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
"nznative" on Trademe sells them for $235, hasn't got any online at the moment, but he seems to be fairly regular in listing them
andy  
Posted : Monday, 2 December 2013 1:26:58 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 72 post(s)
try this on your fpoint it adds some sensetivety and depth!not to much tho or it screams at you like a babshee lol! http://www.youtube.com/w...ilpage&v=RXeDteBUAYY
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
cavey  
Posted : Monday, 2 December 2013 8:26:37 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Mudwiggle Go to Quoted Post
"nznative" on Trademe sells them for $235, hasn't got any online at the moment, but he seems to be fairly regular in listing them

Thanks Mudwiggle I will keep an eye out .

Stu
cavey  
Posted : Monday, 2 December 2013 8:27:51 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: andy Go to Quoted Post
try this on your fpoint it adds some sensetivety and depth!not to much tho or it screams at you like a babshee lol! http://www.youtube.com/w...ilpage&v=RXeDteBUAYY

Hi Andy

Yeah I have done this to my f point improved it a bit, better than it was that's for sure.

Stu