New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

9 Pages<1234>»
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Thursday, 9 January 2014 11:29:22 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
First "Contract Hit"with the new machine :)

Approached by sheepish gentleman just as I was packing the gear into the car. Could I help him find his Omega watch, lost yesterday..

I said I'd give it a go, but given the numbers of people on the beach, it was possible it was long gone.

He showed me the towel spot, and it was obvious it had been well turned over by them. But at least it was a good solid start point.
Took maybe 30 seconds and two handfuls of sand to reunite them.

Was rather grateful.

Edited by user Thursday, 9 January 2014 11:33:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mudwiggle attached the following image(s):
Omega.jpg
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Thursday, 9 January 2014 11:54:49 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Well done.
Glad to see Minelab helping to earn the loot. :-)

MK

DrunkBrother  
Posted : Thursday, 9 January 2014 12:09:34 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Good reward. and great Job with Excal :-)
Is this is the Andrew's Excal that you bought?

I was at Waiheke last weekend, Found Iphone 5 In the middle of Road (cars were passing buy, but didnt run it over), still had battery 50% so we waited for several hours till got a call,
Lady was pushy and quickly ened the call when we aid to come over to the beach to pick it up,
where on the phone i DID MENTION_ WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A REWARD

She came over quickly grabbed the phone and just said "thank you" ,
I asked politely, Is that it? just "thank you"?
- she replied, did you expect anything else?

I really wanted to say that if she can afford 1100$ phone on 50-100$ monthly plan, she can afford bringing 50-100$ reward. as would cost her at least 100$ access fee in insurance...
OR! at least bring couple of icecreams and coffees to us, as it was hot sunny day out there.
- however i replied, "nothing,nothing go have a good day. "

As i am constantly getting scenarios that people say just "Thank you" or "Thanks God its is found" - will be Tossing shit away, taking money of lost wallets and selling phones for parts.

That is no GOD calls them and returns phones, wallets and watches .. it is US, ME and you.

Sorry. just wanted to share/vent this here :-)
My point is, when next time you will be asked to help find stuff- set a right expectation, that your time, effort , expertise and gear cost money, so before you start looking - charge is XXX$ and if found, you want XXX$ or what ever.

Imagine, you call Plumber, because you have leaky pipe.
He comes over, lookes at the pipe and just tightens the bolt cos it got loose. all job in 1 minute.
- And you like... "Oh Thank you, is that is all what was wrong?"
- Plumber says"have a nice day" and leave...
Does that happen? NO, you will be charged Call out fee 75 +$ and the job 100$

Those who still do it for free, because they get a fuzzy feeling in the stomach - note,Karma is Karma, but Petrol money, Money for new Propointer, and so on a bit more tangible .

Please be careful replying further to my post ;-) will strongly moderate any flaming comments :-)
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Thursday, 9 January 2014 12:30:03 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Yep, It's Andrews. Working nicely for me - so much more refined than the 30 yr old SeaHunter :)

I stopped doing most of my lost property searches years ago as I was fairly sure in several instances they had already claimed on insurance.
In one case the person actually had the Approved Insurance Claim on their table when I arrived, I pointed it out and asked if they had claimed. They said, "Yes, but it's a sentimental ring". I stated that if I found it, it would have to be forwarded to the Insurance Co. as it was now their legal property and did they still want me to search? They declined (No doubt spending the next few hours on their hands and knees).
Just left me with a bitter feeling.
I used to ask to have petrol covered and 10% of value which most people seem to be happy with. Doesn't quite match the $3,600/Hr equivalent rate the Omega turned over though!

I'll generally give some free time if a) I'm already onsite, b) It looks to be an easy find, and c) The person appears to be genuinely upset.

Goldnut  
Posted : Saturday, 11 January 2014 9:53:22 AM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 92 post(s)
I have never received a reward either for finding peoples things (IPhone 5 included)... It doesn't bother me much as it wasn't mine and I wasn't looking for anything in return... feels good to just do the right thing.

But it doesn't hurt to get a nice reward either ;)... Well done on the find and reward :D
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 11 January 2014 12:22:01 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Yeah, I generally do it for fuzzies if I'm already working the area, but having said that, I'll only refuse any reward once which gives them a chance to reconsider. Some days a cold beer has been a very welcome payback.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 18 January 2014 10:09:01 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Discovered a promising beach while browsing through GoogleEarth last week, well off the beaten track and tucked away in a little corner of the Western lands so made a road trip today.

On arrival at the end of the metalled road I was disappointed to see it was shingle with outcrops of oyster-covered rocks poking through, but at least it wasn't mud - and since I was here...

Low tide worked well with first light and as I had allowed a full day at this spot I decided to work a tight pattern and hug the waters edge as it came in.
Couple of sinkers initially from the rocks at the end of the beach, as expected, followed by a few of the standard 1 and 5cents - looked promising.

Took about half an hour to work the length of the beach and by the time I'd completed two lengths it was clear this was probably virgin territory.

By high tide at about 12, I was being pushed up against the kikuyu covered bank and I'd lost probably about half my body weight in sweat so called it a day. Back to the car and downed a couple of litres of water before having a preliminary sort through. Excellent haul, in terms of sheer numbers of finds if nothing else. Only pulled a couple of bits of space junk, but one section was dozens of copper nails - more than likely a drifting rowing boat had arrived here to die many years ago, saved one for the collection.

Notables were: Part of an oil lamp, clay pipe stem (slip cast), couple of cartridge cases, Junk copper ring, Cap bomb (the ones that had the plastic tail fins ±1980's?), couple of half pennies, four pennies, bit of small change from the USA and UK, and a 100 franc coin from French Polynesia - Didn't expect that one! Huge haul of pre-moderns and a small handful of modern-day rusties. The $7 in spendable goldies didn't even come close to covering the fuel, but it was a good day.

Haven't started cleaning them properly yet, gonna grab a beer and then hit the sack for now.

KTA180114.jpg
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Sunday, 19 January 2014 4:17:09 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

A good haul there MW.
The clay pipe stem gives the area some age so there could be silver coins about.

MK

creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 19 January 2014 1:25:30 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Good mixed haul. Lot of digs there Mudwiggle, big day.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 25 January 2014 4:02:17 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

1st GOLD for 2014...

Pinched this one from a little, out of the way beach right in Creamers backyard :) Nearby electric fence wrought absolute havoc 5m further down the beach so was lucky to pick this up just before the randoms started.
Will have to go back with Magnum PI and finish it off...

Goal this year, one GOLD every month. Here's hoping.

So, For January, a nice 995... With a hat tip to Metal Kiwi for his presentation idea :)

Edited by user Saturday, 25 January 2014 4:06:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Forgot to glue the pic on..

1st2014GOLD.jpg
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Saturday, 25 January 2014 4:38:58 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Ahh but was your presenter found on the beach. If not he is an impostor I say. :-)

Great going on the Gold MW .
Creamer may go GRRRRRRR.
I would be happy with one gold a month too.

MK

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 25 January 2014 4:42:06 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Metal Kiwi Go to Quoted Post
Ahh but was your presenter found on the beach. If not he is an impostor I say. :-)
MK

Mikey came out of a school sandpit, so that's pretty close...

Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Saturday, 25 January 2014 4:45:21 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Originally Posted by: Mudwiggle Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Metal Kiwi Go to Quoted Post
MK

Mikey came out of a school sandpit, so that's pretty close...

Yep sand is from the beach so he qualifies. :-)
So now there are two.

MK

kiwisouth  
Posted : Saturday, 25 January 2014 10:05:20 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mudwiggle Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, I generally do it for fuzzies if I'm already working the area, but having said that, I'll only refuse any reward once which gives them a chance to reconsider. Some days a cold beer has been a very welcome payback.

I got a chocolate cake made for me a while ago. My wife's friend lost her pandora bracelet in the garden and I was asked to find it, which I did in pretty quick time. Yep, choccy cake, blooooooody nice. Warm and fuzzies for friends and special occasions but I suppose if you are doing it on a commercial basis, then agree up front what you want to find. But if you find something like a phone and the owner does appear on the scene, you have to give it back. Though a reward would be nice, in this instance, she is not legally bound.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 26 January 2014 1:03:35 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Mini road trip with Creamer this morning.
Arrived at the hot tip, walked backwards and forwards until the rain drifted in, came home.

New bit of real estate for me, and the fallout from summer was evident...including 'thousands' of crown caps and tear tabs - even down as far as 30-40cm which got a bit tedious after a few hours, but the digging paid off with some bling seeing the light of day again.

Jan26a.jpg
Jan26b.jpg
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Sunday, 26 January 2014 2:04:00 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

That 925 looks ok.
I suspect a return visit would be warranted.

MK

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Friday, 31 January 2014 6:53:31 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Nice haul of $1 & $2's
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Friday, 31 January 2014 7:30:42 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Wanna swap Mike Wazowski for another toy ? ;-))
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 February 2014 1:00:30 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Diamonds!

Very nice ring courtesy of a beach hunt before work - A Warehouse-wonder with 21 teeny-tiny stones, half carat all up and set in sterling. But hey, a diamond is a diamond....

IMG_1376.JPG
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Thursday, 20 February 2014 6:43:56 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Another couple of silvers off the beach again this morning, made the rain bearable. I suspect they're diamonds again on the sparkler as the mountings are exactly the same as yesterdays, but can't find any exact matches in Webland so I'm going to call them CZ's to be on the safe side.

So much sand, not much sleep.....

Rest day tomorrow while batteries charge - the machines and mine :)

Double Ag.jpg
9 Pages<1234>»