New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

9 Pages«<45678>»
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 3 January 2015 6:05:30 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Ringing in the New Year!

From the left:
9K gold, hallmarked Sheffield 1994
Calvin Klein S/S Mound ring
316 S/S
925 plain band (resized)

Struggled to get them on my Grizzly Bear-sized little finger for the pic.

Mudwiggle attached the following image(s):
3Jan.jpg
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 4 January 2015 4:37:44 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Went to the same place, and for another 3Hrs effort, I was rewarded with an old 50c piece.
Oh, and a manky fishing lure.

Swings and roundabouts...
Guardian  
Posted : Sunday, 4 January 2015 4:42:44 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Seems you have the same problem as me, I find plenty of rings but unfortunately they are still attached to fingers *8^)

Well done fella!
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 23 February 2015 1:33:06 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Popped down to the beach for a quick lunchtime hunt - still heaps of sand and scored a modern shilling and 2c....
Got a big fat fart through the phones as I wandered back to the car - sounded like a beer can, but was too 'clean'
Scuffed the dry sand with the foot - and a smartphone surfaced! Shook the sand out of it, stuck it on the charger and it lives.
Looks to be some teens toy, so dropping it into cop shop tonight on way home - for a $79 with 7c credit on it, I ain't chasing any rewards haha...

On the way back to work, I saw a flash of orange plastic in the scrub where the roadside mower had been through last week.
It was the sort of dull orange that survey gear is, and sure enough - One long forgotten laser level!
Well past it's use by date and full of ants, but the case had protected it from the bulk of mower damage.
From the use by date on the battery, rust and corrosion, I estimate it was lost about three years ago when they were doing major roadworks on this stretch.
Someone had a lot of paperwork to fill in when they got back to the depot!

Still, an interesting find - not sure I have room in the cabinet though....
Might nail it on a fencepost somewhere and see how long it stays there

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Monday, 23 February 2015 1:49:29 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Why not contact the roading contractors who would know the surveyors who would
maybe pay you a huge recovery fee.

MK

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 23 February 2015 2:10:27 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Nice thought, but unlikely.

These only have a RRP of a couple of thousand and this one is worth nothing more than an ornament now.
Mirrors would need recoating, motors replaced, battery pack etc etc. And they'd need to buy a new booklet for it too.

roy1954  
Posted : Monday, 23 February 2015 7:44:46 PM(UTC)
roy1954

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 242 post(s)
that has to a first for this forum.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 27 February 2015 5:19:46 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

3 Hours on urban shores whilst killing time in Whangarei.
Man! And I thought the beach in Paihia was trashy!
Very quickly reverted to cherry picking, although still found plenty of juice even with a lot of the bandwidth locked out.

Find of the day was an old 14k heavy mans sapphire and probable diamond band. Still trying to decipher the hallmark. Tracking nicely for annual target of 12 golds for the year.
Next would be an old tin soldier, not lead as I expected when I saw it
Cook Islands $2, and Singapore 50c were both new denominations to the collection.
The usual old decimals, rusty new decs, toy car and what is probably a penny, but have to clean it up as it's gathered a fair amount of kak.

Stopped off at Paihia on the way back, but too many oily bodies to slalom around, so spent some of the mornings winnings, bought a pie and came home.

Edited by user Friday, 27 February 2015 5:46:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Whg.jpg
drummer.jpg
Juice.jpg
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 27 February 2015 8:40:25 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

A nice old 14k Mud.
Well done.

MK

creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 28 February 2015 8:09:32 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Some nice old finds there, cool ring. Interesting to see if thats a penny or not.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 28 February 2015 8:41:01 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Yep, turned out to be 1941 penny.

Drummer cleaned up enough in the ultrasonic bath to reveal Renaissance clothing but that's as far as it'll go. It's pretty rotted out.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 8 March 2015 1:20:06 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Big seas and a good northerly last night, so headed off at some unGodly hour this morning on a mini road trip.

Just shy of 200km round trip later, and depressing views of sand,sand and more sand. Deepest I've seen it for about a year.
Still, there's always somewhere to try, so hopped out at ground zero and headed for one end of the beach. Nothing here but caps and ends of ali cans - which meant I was on the "downstream end" of the currents.

Trudged about a km to the other end and started sniffing around some pebbly bits, and in short time had a couple of old 20cent pieces in the pouch. Promising start, but was false hope. Sand was generally still too deep.

Hopped over some low rocks to a small bay, the sort of place people would go to hide from the wind (or other people). There was a sharp rocky floor here, although I learned a while ago that it's not what it is now, but what it has been and I imagined the rocks being covered with a foot or two of sand and instantly I have an appealing wee spot for a private swim.
Rummaging over the rocky floor popped up a couple of sinkers, and then that lovely sight in the moonlight, of the XPointer nosing through the target outline in the sand- Ring a Ding! Quick check to make sure it wasn't a pulltab, and some stones emerged. Beauty!
Instantly the trip was a success, even if I found nothing else, I consider any ring , a Win :)

...I found nothing else. Haha.

Just finished cleaning it and have a very nice 10k white gold, with oval Ruby (appears natural due to optical flaws) surrounded by about .5ct of diamonds. Very nice set.
Fortunately it's too small for my wife, so I get to keep this one in the collection!

Edited by user Sunday, 8 March 2015 1:22:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

080315.jpg
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 16 March 2015 1:48:43 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Sorry, no yarn for this one - powercut stole it from me, and couldn't face typing it all in again.

To summarise:
Took day off work to hit beaches as Auntie Pam went away overnight - Sand coming in, rather than going away - drove over 300km trying to find a gold mine - surges coming right up to high tide mark, at low tide! - Don't have enough 'nads to play that game in the dark - Bailed at midnight and returned to comfy bed.
Headed out to local this morning - same deal - sand, sand, sand - watched breakers forming 300m out from normally pleasant beach in sleepy seaside town which had sand bags in the doorways again, and evidence on the road of waves trying to gain entry (without paying) to various motels. Ended up collecting mostly old decimals and goldies here.

Final tally (8 sites worth, dotted around the Far North)

In descending order of goodness:
9ct dolphin ring
1902 Indian Head cent - cool.
Pirate head off junk ring - And my new mascot :)
Old wee penknife, remains of.
Batman badge (Thwap! KaPow!)
Three NZ Pennies, all 40's
and $20 in gold coins of the realm (plus a couple of Aussie imposters)

Pam.jpg
Pam Indian.jpg
Pirate.jpg
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Monday, 16 March 2015 3:03:36 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Shame the sand went the wrong way Mud.
Never mind bet you had fun trying and you did
end up with some good finds too.

Looking at the webcams I don't think there has been much sand movement
around here either. Bit of a fizzer really from a MD perspective.

HH
MK

creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 March 2015 8:23:23 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Grand effort Mudwiggle, i'll have a crack at the local tomorow if all goes well, bound to be something unearthed.

Shane

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 20 March 2015 3:09:19 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Was chatting to a pighunter earlier in the week, who after the second beer 'suddenly' remembered a shack he'd seen in the bush.
As I had today off, I decided on sooner rather than later.

Turned up at the end of the track a couple of hours before dawn, threw the pack and headlamp on and headed off into the dark. It was relatively simple, follow the track for 'about 45minutes, then when you hear the waterfall break left and go bush'. I had a good idea from his other descriptions and a few beers-worth of research over my old maps and GoogleEarth where this thing might be. Soon enough I could hear the sound of water off in the distance. Quick glance at the map and I figured there was a better route, it added 15 minutes to the track distance, but cut the bushcrashing by 10. A crash in the bush is worth two on the track, or something like that.

Reached the best spot to leave civilisation, took a bearing and disappeared down the bank into a Parataniwha infested gully. Found the stream handrail and headed downstream for 50m then where the stream did a kickback I took the next bearing and up out of the gully - into a clearing well frequented by pigs.

Dug out the BIG torch and shone it around, nothing obvious but it should be here. Nothing but Puriri, Manuka...and an ancient Peach tree. The bush has overtaken the shack, but I could now see where the path to the stream once was, and followed it up to a pile of rotting roughsawn Kauri weatherboards.

First light was just starting, so I dropped the pack and had a look around by torchlight to get the 'feel' of the place, orientation of the building, access, extents of the inhabited area etc.
The building, or what was left of it, was old, with candle soot dates going back to the 1960's. So, it was likely well abandoned by then.

By now there was enough daylight to give that dull grey morning-bush light that still needs electric assistance, so assembled the detector, tuned it up and started working the area which would have been the front lawn, as it were.

Within the first minute, I already had my first tear tab! Right, I'll tune those buggers out, right now.

Next swing and that lovely high tone - 1935 shilling. This could be fun. Spent an hour just working the front of the shack, finding the rubbish pile (diet of just mutton by the looks of it), nothing metallic of interest in there though.
Checking the paths, humungous 2' Totara corner strainers for caches, and under the floor as best I could gave another shilling, and 2 each of 6d and 3d - all in the 30's.
Also seeing the light of day was a stirrup, bottle of Baxters Lung Preserver (can only imagine what that would've tasted like!) and a soundbox plate for a gramophone - I know this, as it's the same as one of my never-to-be-finished projects that I subsequently dug out of the garage to check. (1925ish, £7 RRP)

Wanted to get back to the car before any 'rats' found it as it wasn't the most secure location on earth, hence the dawn op to get in and out before they sobered up.

Stripped the machine down again and stuffed it in the pack, couple of jelly snakes for fuel, took a back bearing and proceeded to make like a little bushpig back to the track.
Quick TXT to my wife to a) wake her up, and b) let her know I was on the way back, then struck out back to the car.

Made better time in the daylight and was back at the car 15m ahead of schedule. Hadn't noticed all the broken window glass from previous unfortunate cars that had parked here. Still, mine was intact so a quick change out of the muddy gear and home to bacon and eggs for breakfast.

Definitely worth another visit, but will probably wait until the nights get a bit colder to keep the rats indoors. It's a long walk to the nearest cell coverage!

1.jpg
2.jpg
2a.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
mickey  
Posted : Friday, 20 March 2015 6:33:41 PM(UTC)
mickey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 79 post(s)
cheer mudwiggle,
great work.
lovely silvers, and a STIRRUP, brilliant.
by-the-way,
my bush versus track rule =
a crash in the bush moves you from 1970 to 1870 within ten paces.
good luck.
mickey
mickey ** XP-DEUS Distributor (NZ) ** http://www.xpdeus.co.nz/
Erickd  
Posted : Friday, 20 March 2015 8:13:17 PM(UTC)
Erickd

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 695 time(s) in 297 post(s)
Great story and finds, reminds me of childhood living the Waitakere ranges, I used to mull around the bush and often see shacks and even saw blades still stuck in logs from days gone buy.
Good stuff
Silver coins -400
Silver Jewellery/items - 22
Gold Jewellery/items - 7
Spendie $132.90
Fisher F75 & X-pointer
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 27 March 2015 2:11:56 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Stopped off at swimming hole for quick hunt before work.
- Big mistake as low water levels equals sticky yellow clay everywhere. Everywhere. Ended up having to change before work.

One junker, St. Benedict medallion (Sadly, not 925), a bullet and medic alert tag.
...And one or two fishing lures, some down as far as 8". Might have to try this trout lark, won't need to buy a lure anyway!
If there be gold here - it'll be deeeep in the sticky.

Might pop back tomorrow with the wet rig and see what lurks in the ooze offshore, at least it'll be cleaner!

Edited by user Friday, 27 March 2015 2:21:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MossiePond.jpg
MossieJuice.jpg
creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 31 March 2015 10:25:50 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Some mean as hunts there Mudwiggle. Going that extra mile always pays off. Liked your bush hunt story, cool finds, cool pics.

Shane

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
9 Pages«<45678>»