New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
Moonlight Picker  
Posted : Friday, 27 June 2014 10:38:05 PM(UTC)
Moonlight Picker

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi All

Hay just been looking at Metal Detectors. And How most people are buying the Minelab GPX 5000 great detector . To found the big gold nuggets . BUT the price is around $8000.00 in NZ.
So look around I have found the Garrett ATX .what a detector half the price off the minelab and just as good or better
So just thought to see what you may think of the two
or some other detectors

Cheers Rob

sycotoad  
Posted : Friday, 27 June 2014 11:01:22 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
I tend to agree with you that you certainly get one hell of a metal detector with the Garrett ATX - Cheaper & better at finding both small pieces of gold at the same time its looking for big nuggets - I could be wrong but I think you have to set up the GPX's for one or the other .......

I am sure I will be corrected by the Minelab enthusiasts but who cares? - I kinda like everything about the ATX over the current Minelab line up
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
NUGGY  
Posted : Saturday, 28 June 2014 11:51:34 AM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I have seen the Garret ATX doing well in some videos, and the price being a lot less is good too. Don't like the maximum plastic look of the build quality - like a kids transformer toy. Battery weight would seem to be a problem, as would it's total weight, it can't be separately belt or shoulder sling mounted either. The suedo military look is a useless gimmick.

Garret have missed a good opportunity to build a carbon fiber shaft PI; with wireless technology, super light with a high voltage lithium battery set up. Mounting the battery and heavies in a belt pouch / shoulder bag package - leaving a Deus sized unit mounted on the detector.

But that's just my opinion - NUGGY
sycotoad  
Posted : Saturday, 28 June 2014 5:15:48 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Thanks for your opinion Nuggy, however I tend to disagree with this "The suedo military look is a useless gimmick" -

The ATX design is based off their tried and tested Garrett RECON PRO which has proven itself far beyond the extremes your hobby detectorist's should ever encounter & Garrett has simply emulated that tried & tested design into their Garrett ATX Gold Detector -

http://www.garrett.com/c...ml_1000_versatility.aspx

Being easily collapsible & waterproof makes it more important to me than waving around an overpriced piece of carbon fibre

I also think the military/camo look is gimmicky, however not in this instance

Just my view anyway

For the record -

Minelab GPX5000 - 5.3lbs including 11” coil (excluding battery and accessories). Battery weight 1.7lbs

Garrett ATX - total weight 5.5lbs

Edited by user Saturday, 28 June 2014 5:45:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
Stretchman  
Posted : Saturday, 28 June 2014 6:29:17 PM(UTC)
Stretchman

New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

"Being easily collapsible"

I wouldn't be so sure of this. It doesn't take much for sand etc to find its way around the collapsable shaft. Making the "retractable" somewhat difficult to retract and extend.
A very poor design component in my opinion.
Whites Dual Field

Rings 2014-- Gold =19 Silver =21Titanium =1 Junk 11 Pieces of sh#t = 12,328
DMNZ  
Posted : Saturday, 28 June 2014 7:18:10 PM(UTC)
DMNZ

New Zealand

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Hi Guys

I have an ATX - have used for coming up 6 months now - probably one of the first to arrive in NZ (if not the 1st). The machine has some great points and some negatives. Mainly the weight (disadvantage) and shaft arrangement (disadvantage). The coils are also very expensive as you need to buy the shaft and coil together. All that said, still a good machine that has paid for itself....
2014 (Rings Total Gold/Plat 101) 2015 (have not counted yet!)
Moonlight Picker  
Posted : Saturday, 28 June 2014 11:36:06 PM(UTC)
Moonlight Picker

Man
New Zealand

Hi DMZN

You say it's to heavy in which way. the minelab is 2.4kg + battery 780g were the ATX is 2.5kg and both comes with a sling, or harness, raffle the same, and what wrong with the shaft
as I'm keen to no more

cheers rob
DMNZ  
Posted : Sunday, 29 June 2014 9:46:10 AM(UTC)
DMNZ

New Zealand

was not comparing this with the 2300. Just in general - the ATX is a heavy machine, mostly because of the shaft setup. In the end I had a carbon fibre shaft made, and have ordered the 8 inch coil - I expect this will bring the weight to equal, or less than the 2300. However, my observations are more for water hunting - not gold prospecting. For Gold prospecting the cams etc are probably fine. The issues I have / had relate more to sand in the cams etc. The ATX is a very deep machine and runs well for me. The SDC 2300 does however look very cool and it would be fantastic to try both side by side.

Interestingly - no one can answer my questions about the SDC and applications for water hunting at the beach. Seems like the focus of the machine is on tiny tiny gold. In which case, for me anyway, the ATX would win. (Can use larger coils if needed etc v fixed coil)
NUGGY  
Posted : Sunday, 29 June 2014 1:56:19 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hi DMNZ, yes you seem to have experienced what I thought would be the ATX shortcomings. Garrett seem to have come up with a machine with great functionality - then shot it in the kneecap to make it a bitch to use. NUGGY
goldtimer  
Posted : Monday, 30 June 2014 4:46:54 PM(UTC)
goldtimer

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
@ML Picker : Are you intending on searching for gold?, coins?, relics?, or some mixture of all three With the detector that you buy?
Moonlight Picker  
Posted : Monday, 30 June 2014 9:11:44 PM(UTC)
Moonlight Picker

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: goldtimer Go to Quoted Post
@ML Picker : Are you intending on searching for gold?, coins?, relics?, or some mixture of all three With the detector that you buy?

Mainly gold! but ha love getting out there and hunting all treasure. in and out of the water to, that why I'm looking at the Garrett ATX
Cheers Rob
Moonlight Picker  
Posted : Monday, 28 July 2014 9:30:40 PM(UTC)
Moonlight Picker

Man
New Zealand

Hi all,

Just sitting here and thinking about some of the metal detector out there, Like I've been look at the Garrett AT PRO , AT GOLD , Minelabs Eureka Gold, SDC2300, gold bug
so what's better or good in the metal detector world,
I would like to hunt for gold first , & all treasure to IT'S just fun hunting & getting out, from the house. you no what I mean Lol
1864hatter  
Posted : Monday, 28 July 2014 9:43:50 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Hey mate At pro/gold or gold bug would be the go. They do have their limitations in depth and mineralised ground. If I had to buy something it would be a minelab Sd 2200 or If you can stretch the budget to a GPX4500 then do that.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
Guardian  
Posted : Monday, 28 July 2014 10:49:19 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
It hurts to say this..........

It's personal preference to a point but I find the Goldbug to be better for finding gold than the AT-Gold, it's more sensitive and doesn't chatter as much... On the other side of the coin (bad pun) I find the AT-Gold much nicer to use for coin shooting than the Goldbug and of course the AT-Gold doesn't mind going for a swim.

On a gold trip not all that long ago the results would have been like this on the same patch. AT-Gold - Nope, Goldbug - Iffy - Eureka gold - Yip
sure there is more to it than that but that's keeping it simple. I should point out that I haven't used a Eureka Gold and that was just my observation.

I'm curious to know which would be better between a Eureka gold and a goldbug 2, guess I'll research that shortly.
I'd think that these would be a bit hot for anything else but gold (Eureka gold is apparently switchable between 6.4KHz/20kHz/60kHz).

My pick would be the Goldbug ~sigh~ in the cheaper range but I'd love to get hold of an ATX.

Edited by user Monday, 28 July 2014 10:56:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shahit  
Posted : Monday, 4 August 2014 10:29:43 PM(UTC)
shahit

New Zealand

Garrett Guys in New Zealand are selling Garrett ATX pretty expensive around $4000/ in trademe by garrettnz but i have find it cheap direct shipped from metaldetector.com/ for US $2262/(NZ$2660 includes shipment). Saving of NZ$1738 not bad, what you recon guys :) by the way this is my first post :)
DMNZ  
Posted : Monday, 4 August 2014 10:39:01 PM(UTC)
DMNZ

New Zealand

USA shipping only from that site - they won't ship to nz. Also - customs will charge import duty on the item and the shipping costs associated. If you can find a USA dealer that will ship (and most won't) it will still be cheaper than in NZ. The only easy way around the dealer restrictions is to ship to someone you know in the USA. Garrett, Minelab are all rightfully protective of their local dealerships. FYI, for parts repair / warranty (I have an ATX) you need to ship back to the USA - the local dealer won't assist.

Edited by user Monday, 4 August 2014 10:41:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Grizzle  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 August 2014 2:07:03 AM(UTC)
Grizzle

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
..Just for the record - Metaldetector.com do actually ship to NZ... I bought my AT Gold from them and it still worked out cheaper.
DMNZ  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 August 2014 1:08:28 PM(UTC)
DMNZ

New Zealand

shahit  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 August 2014 1:22:23 PM(UTC)
shahit

New Zealand

Thanks guys for clarifying, i guess extra $400 on the top for customs just in case :)

Moonlight Picker  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 August 2014 8:57:51 PM(UTC)
Moonlight Picker

Man
New Zealand

Hi All I tired to buy one from metaldetector in usa, but they cancelled my account. no reason. But that will be why they stop it a.
So I Rang Garrett in Auckland to see if they would sale me a ATX and do a deal , HE SAID NO! great, so I asked if they would but some waterproof head phone in AND he said no. but I put a small bag in. Great
Do Garrett in nz want to sale there Detector or not $4800.00 for the detector All I was after was a deal....... what all nz want

2 Pages12>