New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages<123>
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 5 September 2011 5:14:27 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
chrischch  
Posted : Monday, 5 September 2011 5:59:59 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
The first one is the one I read...43 pages not 100 lol no wonder I read it quick!
I'm sure the other book probably has the same info too though.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 5 September 2011 6:23:37 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
One of those links mentioned that the book contained "Includes transcription of article by Walter Murray from Otago witness, 1897." So I did a quick search of the Paperspast site and came up with a copy of it in the newspaper:

http://paperspast.natlib...---0ruby+Walter+Murray--

Interesting reading and defiantly sounds like a source the matrix he found did indeed contain rubies.

Oh yeah, the "discovery" is mentioned about 1/2 way down in the article.

Edited by user Monday, 5 September 2011 6:28:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chrischch  
Posted : Monday, 5 September 2011 7:05:08 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Yeah a lot if not all of that was in the book I read. Was a bit easier to read in the book though! It's amazing what you can get online!
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
A.J.  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 September 2012 11:12:41 PM(UTC)
A.J.

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Graeme

Found this thread looking for the one you keep referring to in your Eldorado novel (which i havent found yet) and I thought i might put my 2 cents in.

I have been passed on a small book from a workmate called Minerals and Gems of Maoriland by W. M. Campbell that may be of interest, it has an A-Z of NZ minerals and locations that they can be found as well as photographs, specific info on around 54 more common minerals and plenty of other info for the rockhound.
For example it states that at Waipori you may also come across Arsenic, Cervantite, Spinel, Stibnite, Topaz, and Wolframite (tungstate of manganese) in Lammerlaw creek.

On the Ruby subject you may find:
- Goodletite and rubys at Rimu Flat, Westland
- Rubys at Kanieri Forks and Olderog Creek in the Whitecombe Valley
Im sure it also said something about the Grey River which i cannot seem to find anymore.

I have a mate who has a vial, the contents seem to be 2x Rubys approx 8mm each in size that were passed down/found when his grandfather passed away. He was told by his grandfather a rough location and story when he was young and was sworn to secrecy, apparently has grandfather never told another soul.
the Rubys were taken by another mate to the Otago museum who held them for a while and eventually told us they were just melted glass. I know rubys have a hardness of 9 and a specific gravity of 4 (the book also has this information) so I have tried to scratch glass with one (it does easily) but i cant think of a common household material with a hardness of 7-8 to next try it on.

Regarding your Eldorado memory's i thoroughly enjoy reading your threads (sometimes rereading when you haven't added anything for a while) and would love to have a play in your back yard someday...... I am very fresh in the art of mining but it gives me an excuse to get away from work, the city, the couch and into the rivers and hills, currently i am trying to find something more impressive than the flood gold i keep getting in very small amounts and your stories keep driving me futher and deeper in the search for the place that ticks all the boxes.

Hope this is of interest to you.

Ari

icemaneli  
Posted : Thursday, 13 September 2012 12:23:12 AM(UTC)
icemaneli

New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Garnet has a Mohs hardness of about 7 and is commonly used on sandpaper. Also if you've got some tungsten carbide drill bits they (the tip) have a hardness of around 9, although being about the same as corundum is probably not useful. I think chromium also is quite high (like 8 ish), you could just search for a list of common minerals hardnesses and see if you can find something you have around the house.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 14 September 2012 2:24:32 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: A.J. Go to Quoted Post
Hi Graeme

Found this thread looking for the one you keep referring to in your Eldorado novel (which i havent found yet) and I thought i might put my 2 cents in.

I have been passed on a small book from a workmate called Minerals and Gems of Maoriland by W. M. Campbell that may be of interest, it has an A-Z of NZ minerals and locations that they can be found as well as photographs, specific info on around 54 more common minerals and plenty of other info for the rockhound.
For example it states that at Waipori you may also come across Arsenic, Cervantite, Spinel, Stibnite, Topaz, and Wolframite (tungstate of manganese) in Lammerlaw creek.

Im sure it also said something about the Grey River which i cannot seem to find anymore.

I have a mate who has a vial, the contents seem to be 2x Rubys approx 8mm each in size that were passed down/found when his grandfather passed away. He was told by his grandfather a rough location and story when he was young and was sworn to secrecy, apparently has grandfather never told another soul.
the Rubys were taken by another mate to the Otago museum who held them for a while and eventually told us they were just melted glass. I know rubys have a hardness of 9 and a specific gravity of 4 (the book also has this information) so I have tried to scratch glass with one (it does easily) but i cant think of a common household material with a hardness of 7-8 to next try it on.

Regarding your Eldorado memory's i thoroughly enjoy reading your threads (sometimes rereading when you haven't added anything for a while) and would love to have a play in your back yard someday...... I am very fresh in the art of mining but it gives me an excuse to get away from work, the city, the couch and into the rivers and hills, currently i am trying to find something more impressive than the flood gold i keep getting in very small amounts and your stories keep driving me futher and deeper in the search for the place that ticks all the boxes.

Ari

I find it intriguing that you call it a novel when it is only a partial story of what indeed took place up there - Due to the Statute of limitations or the lack of it in Kiwiland I have not told the full story and had I done so then you might have less believed it. Let me assure you that what I have told here is a true and correct but sanitized version of some great days in the hills away from society and in a place where I truly got the peace and quiet I have always loved with the exception of the odd crisis that occurred

As for Lammerlaw Creek it is owned by Waipori Station and Thornicroft Station and is now virtually inaccessible - the headwaters are accessible to the friends of the owner and those who prove that they have the right cut to their sails. One particular headwaters branch show signs of other minerals but they have not really been analysed though cinnabar sands have been retained when found.

Another branch which is only freshly eroded has produced microspherules which may have emanated from the Yucatan peninsular Meteor impact or even the Mahuika one - I find these the most fascinating of all the minerals and geological specimens I have found.

Edited by user Friday, 14 September 2012 8:46:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 14 September 2012 2:26:56 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Blasted computer bloody well printed it in stereo - I hate the things - if it hadnt been given the thing I still would not have one!
When I deleted the stereo copy of the above it wouldnt let me post nothing!

Edited by user Friday, 14 September 2012 7:30:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NUGGY  
Posted : Friday, 14 September 2012 5:21:23 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hi Icemaneli, ordinary knife steel old green river, or a modern stainless blade has a hardness of just under 7 and good greenstone comes in at just over 7, if that is any help.

Hi Lammerlaw, Please don't take offence too easily at what one person says, he may not have even meant to imply it was a work of fiction, but only that it was long, as in a book. Incorrect usage I know, but highly likely these days. My partner was brought up by Dutch parents, and has picked up some very weird ways of speaking. Anyway, even if he did mean it that way, no need to stop entertaining the rest of us with your obviously factual recollections, there are always one or two knockers out there, no matter what we attempt in life, just ignore the buggers. You have many admirers out here, of which I am one. You have a great ability with writing and an excellent sense of humour too. So keep it up if you can, there are many out here who appreciate the effort.

NUGGY
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 14 September 2012 8:49:12 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: NUGGY Go to Quoted Post
Hi Icemaneli, ordinary knife steel old green river, or a modern stainless blade has a hardness of just under 7 and good greenstone comes in at just over 7, if that is any help.

Hi Lammerlaw, Please don't take offence too easily at what one person says, he may not have even meant to imply it was a work of fiction, but only that it was long, as in a book. Incorrect usage I know, but highly likely these days. My partner was brought up by Dutch parents, and has picked up some very weird ways of speaking. Anyway, even if he did mean it that way, no need to stop entertaining the rest of us with your obviously factual recollections, there are always one or two knockers out there, no matter what we attempt in life, just ignore the buggers. You have many admirers out here, of which I am one. You have a great ability with writing and an excellent sense of humour too. So keep it up if you can, there are many out here who appreciate the effort.

NUGGY

I reviewed and modified the statement I made to give the benefit of the doubt - one of my rare and few and far between softer moments! But dont let anyone thing I am a big pussy - pussys are useful things and I am not useful - in fact I am somewhat lazy, idle, useless and cant be bothered.

Edited by user Friday, 14 September 2012 8:49:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 14 September 2012 8:53:41 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post
Hi Graeme

Ari

I find it intriguing that you call it a novel when it is only a partial story of what indeed took place up there - Due to the Statute of limitations or the lack of it in Kiwiland I have not told the full story and had I done so then you might have less believed it. Let me assure you that what I have told here is a true and correct but sanitized version of some great days in the hills away from society and in a place where I truly got the peace and quiet I have always loved with the exception of the odd crisis that occurred

As for Lammerlaw Creek it is owned by Waipori Station and Thornicroft Station and is now virtually inaccessible - the headwaters are accessible to the friends of the owner and those who prove that they have the right cut to their sails. One particular headwaters branch show signs of other minerals but they have not really been analysed though cinnabar sands have been retained when found.

Another branch which is only freshly eroded has produced microspherules which may have emanated from the Yucatan peninsular Meteor impact or even the Mahuika one - I find these the most fascinating of all the minerals and geological specimens I have found.

As for the odd day in Lammerlaw Stream - anything is possible - I suppose once I get to know a person - We all own New Zealand and those who own fee simple blocks of land are merely the caretakers for the next generation.

Edited by user Friday, 14 September 2012 8:57:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 14 September 2012 8:56:05 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

It might also be noted that Waipori is one of New Zealands most interesting and diverse areas with a great variety in mineral wealth - overlooking Waipori are the Waitahuna Heights and on those heights lies the Waipori Cinnabar lode once owned by the Nobels Exp0losive Company of Glasgow - a rich but discontinuous vein of high grade cinnabar - I have seen a sample and it is totally amazing. Reedy Creek copper mine also at Waipori has yielded some great samples of Chalcopyrite and it only a few kilometres from the Cinnabar mine and a few kilometres beyond that Scheelite, Antimony and...if I say anything more a certain friend of mine might be around here with a hammer and we all know the story of Maxwells Silver Hammer so mums the word!

Edited by user Friday, 14 September 2012 9:02:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A.J.  
Posted : Friday, 14 September 2012 10:57:21 PM(UTC)
A.J.

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I appologise for the poor wording, in no way was i describing or trying to describe your writings as fictional just that i find them a great read and as NUGGY pointed out they are ........um.......long (descriptive, informative, captivating)- they would make an amazing book if one day compiled together.
NUGGY  
Posted : Friday, 14 September 2012 11:47:59 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I love it when I'm right - I love it when I'm right - did I happen to tell you, that I love it when I'm right.

Sorry, but I have to celebrate like that when I'm right, as it happens so infrequently.

Good on you A.J. You're a good bloke (for a Dunedinite.) lol
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 15 September 2012 5:44:40 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

I appologise for the poor wording, in no way was i describing or trying to describe your writings as fictional just that i find them a great read and as NUGGY pointed out they are ........um.......long (descriptive, informative, captivating)- they would make an amazing book if one day compiled together.

Your apology A.J. is happily accepted as I read and reread you initial statement doing a great deal of soul searching in relationship to my initial response and as you see I deleted that initial response and completely changed it.

I liked the remainder of what you wrote and decided that it may have been a grammatical faux pas so all is well that ends well.

Where the hell is the nice smile Icon - GAVIN - where the hell is the icons so i can sent one to A.J.
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 17 September 2012 10:56:53 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post

I reviewed and modified the statement I made to give the benefit of the doubt - one of my rare and few and far between softer moments! But dont let anyone thing I am a big pussy - pussys are useful things and I am not useful - in fact I am somewhat lazy, idle, useless and cant be bothered.

Choice thread. I was going to post some pics of some gemstones/garnets/rubys but after half an hour of trying to click a direct link on photob.., i gave up. Computers are like women..cant live with em, cant live without em. Anyhows, id like to formulate a list at some stage of all possible gems/rocks here in NZ.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 17 September 2012 9:45:21 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Hi Shane - havent forgotten you - If the information in all the books on New Zealand geology, gemstones etc was collated into one handy resource together with photographs then it would be a handy compendium of what can be found where.

When I was a kid I bought a handy little book called 'Minerals and Gems of Maoriland' By W.M.Campbell - it is not complete or definitive but it was and still is a handy little book to have.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 17 September 2012 9:51:57 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

It would be a great idea to have a thread with recommended reading in it to share resources, books, paper references etc - this thread with lists of the different rocks and minerals that can be found in different locations associated with the gold or likely to be found in the vicinity - one idea of this is that guys who are out gold mining know before they go to a location what else they might find and can therefore tune their minds to look for these things alongside the gold.

Edited by user Monday, 17 September 2012 9:55:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 September 2012 8:44:22 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
It seems that those small garnet/rubys are quite prolific, turning up in GOLD pans/creeks all through NZ. Chrisyboy founds plenty of them up here in the north as well as other unidentified gems and stones. I would say that we have good recources here that are well concealed or yet to be discovered.

Edited by user Friday, 21 September 2012 9:25:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
peteatpapaaroha  
Posted : Friday, 17 May 2013 5:03:01 PM(UTC)
peteatpapaaroha

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I took the Gold Bug for a walk up a local Coromandel creek where we have been collecting a bit of alluvial gold some of it big enough to detect. Thought it would be easier to detect than dig, suck, sluice, pan. I was wrong been reading to many of JW's posts down south, managed a bit of color in the pan, that was it.
Anyway the gist of my post is that on trips up this creek we often have very small pieces of red stone and small flakes of silver in the pan with hopefully more gold. With the silver apart from it maybe being silver we have been wondering if it was mercury attached to gold.
On my last trip up the creek a few days ago "detecting" I came across the red rock pictured, at first I thought it was jasper but felt it was far to heavy, it is not magnetic as that was my main strike with the gold bug, hot rocks. the detector sounds off when passing it over it but not the boing boing noise of a hot rock but more like a metal object, not a strong enough signal to get a reading on the digital scale.
A couple of places I chipped the surface and silver metallic particles show as in the center of the enlarged photo.
We are thinking maybe this is what we have been getting in the pan.
If anyone has an idea what it maybe that would be great, as good as Ive been able to guess, maybe ore of lead or mercury.

peteatpapaaroha attached the following image(s):
may2013 074.jpg
may2013 076.jpg
may2013 083.jpg
3 Pages<123>