New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages123>
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 7 July 2011 1:21:53 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
It would be interesting to know who finds and keeps other minerals as a bye product of their gold fossicking trips.

In many of the well known fossicking spots other interesting minerals do occur and I for one keep and collect them - In Otago - Scheelite, Antimony, Copper ore, Rhodonite an ore of manganese and Cinnabar all occur.

It could be of interest if anyone knows of minerals to make a list of what they are and where they are found - eg Scheelite at Macraes, Scheelite at Glenorchy and Scheelite at Waipori.

If enough interest is shown in the different minerals and their locations I shall list more.

Basically this means that any such list can be accessed not only by forum members but also by the 'guests' an dwhen ever anyone is in these localities if they find no gold or want to spend some time looking for something else (Time out from gold mining which most do when camped in various places) then they can have a look for samples of other minerals. As a rock collector I have come across many interesting rock specimens while goldmining including most of the above, Spessartite, Limonite and various gems stones, especially Garnet.

Edited by user Thursday, 7 July 2011 10:08:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 July 2011 9:27:44 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Do you have any pics on the web of your rocks?
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 July 2011 10:15:16 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: Metal Kiwi Go to Quoted Post

I dont have too much skill when it comes to using computers and dont have a camera of my own so I guess the answer is no to that question - Why for do you ask?

I do have samples of them all and if people really wanted photos to look at as an aid to identification then I would get my son to do something about it but this thread didnt take off so I dont see any point as it has dawned on me that todays gold seekers probably have one tracked minds and that is the track related to gold and profits only.

When I first went out we all seemed to be interested in collecting the other minerals we found and indeed would spend time off from gold mining to visit other sites of geological interest, especially in Otago and the 'Top of the South' (Nelson - Takaka) where some great commercially interesting minerals specimens were to be found.
gjj109  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 July 2011 10:48:55 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Gidday Graeme,
When we first started panning with the kids on the West Coast, we started collecting the garnets as we came across them. They were more abundant than the gold and the variation in size and shape from different rivers was always interesting. When we progressed from panning to running a sluice box, we would keep the garnets that were present in the sluice at the time of the final wash-up that didn't pass through a kitchen sieve. The result now is that we've now got a bloody lot of garnets. Why?, I don't really know. Because we can, I suppose.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 July 2011 11:07:50 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post

I dont have too much skill when it comes to using computers and dont have a camera of my own so I guess the answer is no to that question - Why for do you ask?

Just curiosity really. I suppose I am a casual fossicker as well as a coil swinger. Only been to the west coast once with my family a few years back. Road trip Chch, Greymth, Westport, Nelson. Picked up a few rocks on the way. Got to go back sometime.

Chris.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 July 2011 12:20:43 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: gjj109 Go to Quoted Post
Gidday Graeme,
When we first started panning with the kids on the West Coast, we started collecting the garnets as we came across them. They were more abundant than the gold and the variation in size and shape from different rivers was always interesting. When we progressed from panning to running a sluice box, we would keep the garnets that were present in the sluice at the time of the final wash-up that didn't pass through a kitchen sieve. The result now is that we've now got a bloody lot of garnets. Why?, I don't really know. Because we can, I suppose.

I have always done that - I collect them all and you never know who you can do trades with for something someone else has which you might want. If a person does collect the different collectible mineral specimens they come across then good pocket money can be made from some of them and even offshore overseas collectors will pay for some specimens - years ago a friend of mine sold a lot of chalcopyrite for me in the States and it sold quite readily so it is not just gold that is worth while keeping!

I have a jar of garnet sands that I collected on one beach years ago - it is quite collectible and interesting.

Edited by user Wednesday, 13 July 2011 12:21:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 July 2011 12:23:28 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post

Just curiosity really. I suppose I am a casual fossicker as well as a coil swinger. Only been to the west coast once with my family a few years back. Road trip Chch, Greymth, Westport, Nelson. Picked up a few rocks on the way. Got to go back sometime.

Chris.

Lots to find on the West Coast - A person can also collect Greenstone while over there and also keep a look out for the highly desirable and very much sought after and valuable rock called Goodletite - no one has yet found the source of it despite trying hard to do so over the years.

Edited by user Wednesday, 13 July 2011 2:21:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gjj109  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 July 2011 1:27:34 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

My kids grabbed a rock from near Ross about 10 years ago. It is half a water-worn boulder, narrow bands of red/green/white. They brought it back because they thought it was 'ruby rock' or goodletite. They carried it for over a kilometre to get it back to the truck. As they were 9 and 11 at the time and the rock weighs 35kg, it wasn't a bad effort. It was valuable to them. I have never had it analysed to confirm its true nature. At the moment it can be whatever they wanted it to be. Should I get it analysed to confirm or destroy the dream?. Good question that.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 July 2011 2:37:33 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

My kids grabbed a rock from near Ross about 10 years ago. It is half a water-worn boulder, narrow bands of red/green/white. They brought it back because they thought it was 'ruby rock' or goodletite. They carried it for over a kilometre to get it back to the truck. As they were 9 and 11 at the time and the rock weighs 35kg, it wasn't a bad effort. It was valuable to them. I have never had it analysed to confirm its true nature. At the moment it can be whatever they wanted it to be. Should I get it analysed to confirm or destroy the dream?. Good question that.

We should never destroy the dream but...are they reading this? I have never seen any Goodletite with any other coloured rock part of the specimen but that doesnt mean to say that there are no pieces there which are partly Goodletite plus the parent rock, part of the formation from which it originally came from. I have only ever seen Goodletite with the rubies and nothing else part of the specimen...just Goodletite.
Now I want to see this rock you kids found after all you never know. I do not think that it would be Goodeltite from that location though. I did find a very interesting rock away in behind Ross in the Mikonui River. When I broke it in half I am quite certain that it had gold in it but due to the debris, junk, paraphernalia, caste off, treasures and rubbish in general I have here I cannot find it!
How did two young kids manage to carry 35kg rock that far - I had trouble carrying four 25lbr projectiles fifty metres the other day!

Edited by user Wednesday, 13 July 2011 2:39:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gjj109  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 July 2011 4:03:37 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

We breed them tough up here Graeme. I weighed it just before placing that post. I had never weighed it before. I won't ask what you intend to do with the projectiles.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 15 July 2011 11:57:15 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

We breed them tough up here Graeme. I weighed it just before placing that post. I had never weighed it before. I won't ask what you intend to do with the projectiles.

Anything that goes bang appeals to my sense of humour - I collect grenades, guns, artillery projectiles etc and got a few the other day but being slightly mad decided to carry four at once and I dont seem to be able to lift what I once could as four 25 pounder projectiles seems to be an awfully heavy weight to me nowadays!
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 16 July 2011 6:05:37 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Pyrite. Better known as fools gold. Very hard to photograph. Pyrite has 6 sides. More like a cube. (i think) Not sure how to classify it. A characteristic of Pyrite is that when you twinkle it, it turns from gold to black. If it sparkles heaps then its not gold. And Jasper. A red type of rock. I found these out the back of Thames.

Edited by user Saturday, 16 July 2011 6:12:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Sunday, 17 July 2011 11:31:47 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: creamer Go to Quoted Post
Pyrite. Better known as fools gold. Very hard to photograph. Pyrite has 6 sides. More like a cube. (i think) Not sure how to classify it. A characteristic of Pyrite is that when you twinkle it, it turns from gold to black. If it sparkles heaps then its not gold. And Jasper. A red type of rock. I found these out the back of Thames.

Pyrite in cubic form is just that, a cube - some of the pyrite cubes are really quite spectacular being quite large in size. Pyrite can also be small and in angular masses. That is Iron Pyrite. Copper pyrites is often just masses of pyrites and not in any specific form and to the uninitiated Iron pyrites often is hard to differentiate from Copper pyrites unless the Copper Pyrites is in the form known as Peacock ore.
The difference between Iron Pyrites and Copper pyrites is that Iron pyrites is Fe (Iron) and S (Sulphur) while Copper Pyrites has the addition of Cu (Copper)
Gold can have what some might consider a sparkle and pyrites can sparkle or be quite dull. Pyrites can also have a rusty brown patina on the outer surface if exposed to the air for a few years.
In some cases the only definitive field test is to scratch the sample - if you scratch gold with the sharp end of a knife, nail or similar then it will take the scratch without shedding any dust or fragments whereas pyrites will shed scratchings in the form of tiny pieces, dust etc. If Gold is hit with a heavy object it will flatten but not break whereas pyrite will shatter in all directions.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Wednesday, 17 August 2011 3:36:23 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
i love collecting some of the rocks and minerals myself lammerlaw..and plenty of agates..lol
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
chrischch  
Posted : Sunday, 4 September 2011 9:05:07 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
That book about the lost ruby mine on the west coast is pretty interesting....it mentioned that goodletite quite a bit. Do you think that the ruby mine existed Lammerlaw? Seems like you been up that way.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Sunday, 4 September 2011 9:24:27 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post
That book about the lost ruby mine on the west coast is pretty interesting....it mentioned that goodletite quite a bit. Do you think that the ruby mine existed Lammerlaw? Seems like you been up that way.

I really have no idea if the ruby mine did or did not exist but one thing is for certain is that there had to be a deposit of goodletite somewhere - it has been searched for over the years and pretty thorough searches some of them have been but either no one has found it or they have kept quiet about it.

I do have a small piece which weighs 80 grammes which I got many years ago.
Shilo  
Posted : Sunday, 4 September 2011 9:42:52 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I've seen a small specimen and would love to find a piece myself. There may not be a deposit any more if the original outcrop had long eroded away - if I remember correctly it is only found in a single river? But on the other hand there could still be deposits still to be exposed to erosion.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Sunday, 4 September 2011 9:52:07 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: Shilo Go to Quoted Post
I've seen a small specimen and would love to find a piece myself. There may not be a deposit any more if the original outcrop had long eroded away - if I remember correctly it is only found in a single river? But on the other hand there could still be deposits still to be exposed to erosion.

It is pretty wide country and you may well be correct - the original deposit might be eroded away, it might not have been found yet due to having become overgrown, covered by slip or faulting or it could be under the very bed of the river, unexposed to the air and therefore not visible but in a situation whereby the movement of boulders in the river bed itself breaks pieces off or maybe deposited from by glacier from a reef long since eroded. Somehow I personally think that if that is so then somewhere there could well be more!

As I sit here I am looking at the piece I do have - it is shaped like a pyramid and four cms by four cms and 2.9cm high - you could of course make me a handsome offer!
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 5 September 2011 9:20:28 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post

What's the name of the book and author? Sounds like an interesting read!

Heard stories myself from a friend who lives down Haast about the guys who are supposed to have found it and how they were starving. One goes off looking for food and returns in time to see one of the other guys about to kill the other and shoots him. They then head off with there haul and never come back. Something along those lines anyway.
chrischch  
Posted : Monday, 5 September 2011 12:44:52 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Yeah thats pretty close to the story in the book....apparantly there are a few stories which are similar and the book discusses each story and summarises at the end....only about 100 pages...takes about 30-60 mins to read.....I'm pretty sure its just called......"the lost ruby mine" or "the lost ruby mine of the west coast". Its in most libraries so if you did a catalogue search of "lost ruby mine", you would find it.
Perhaps we should all get together and hunt it down? lol Some guys have spent 20 odd years looking for it. If we had 30 guys doing a year each..............:)
Just dont eat food that the others have prepared......read the book and you'l get the joke;P
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
3 Pages123>