New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages<123
oroplata  
Posted : Friday, 17 May 2013 5:42:55 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Arsenic?
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 17 May 2013 5:56:33 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Its most likely Cinnabar which is an ore of mercury. Cinnabar is commonly found in the Coromandel and has a specific gravity of 8ish so it will be a lot heavier then Jasper (SP of around 3). I would doubt that the silvery bits are native mercury but most likely another mineral in association.

Can you scratch it easily with a pocket knife? Cinnabar is fairly soft (about the same as your fingernail) whilst jasper is as hard as glass.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 17 May 2013 6:20:37 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
I did not know that the cinnabar from up that way was nice and solid like that but I am sure that one of you guys will be able to tell me if it is or not. The photo I have put on here is cinnabar as I know it from up there. The cinnabar is the streaks of red within the rock.

Your rock does however have the look of very high quality cinnabar such as was found in rich but discontinuous veins in the Waitahuna Heights cinnabar mine in Otago. You sample is a lovely crimson red colour in the photo and yes it does look like cinnabar. I have found some unusually heavy specimens of Jasper but I think yours could well be cinnabar but remember that I am just guessing.

If it is heavy then you might have a very very nice sample of cinnabar and then I will be jealous!

As for the silver stuff - well if it is heavy then it might be tiny pieces of Galena or maybe gold with mercury on it...it might need to be seen or tested to know what it is as any answer here can only be an intelligent guess - but you must find out as we all want to know now!

Edited by user Friday, 17 May 2013 6:28:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw attached the following image(s):
P1130988.JPG
P1130989.JPG
peteatpapaaroha  
Posted : Friday, 17 May 2013 6:55:09 PM(UTC)
peteatpapaaroha

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Thanks for your replies, I have scratched it.
Stainless steel, high carbon steel, and high speed steel mark it like a pencil with no scratching.
Tungsten steel scratches it but it takes some doing.
I tried breaking it with my pick up the river but only got small flaky chips off it
It maybe from tailings of an old mine as there are a few in the area.
Next time I am up the creek I will see if I can find a bit for you Lammerlaw, there must be more.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 17 May 2013 7:06:38 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: peteatpapaaroha Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for your replies, I have scratched it.
Stainless steel, high carbon steel, and high speed steel mark it like a pencil with no scratching.
Tungsten steel scratches it but it takes some doing.
I tried breaking it with my pick up the river but only got small flaky chips off it
It maybe from tailings of an old mine as there are a few in the area.
Next time I am up the creek I will see if I can find a bit for you Lammerlaw, there must be more.

That would be just marvellous

I dont know if this is good advice but if you can find a fair bit then you can test to find out if it is cinnabar by crushing some of it up and roasting it in an enclosed home made metal retort. If it is crushed fine and roasted then 95% or so of the mercury should become vapour and then you can condense it down a pipe and into a trough of water into which the pipe leads and it should accumulate in the bottom of hte conatiner with the water.

I know that my description is as clear as mud but by googling retort you should get the idea.

Good luck and remember that some of us would love tobknow the answer as well!
greentater  
Posted : Friday, 17 May 2013 8:38:32 PM(UTC)
greentater

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Pardon my ignorance however I thought there were a couple of West Coast shops that essentially marketed goodelite? I would have thought that they must have a source to do that
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 17 May 2013 8:49:34 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Originally Posted by: greentater Go to Quoted Post
Pardon my ignorance however I thought there were a couple of West Coast shops that essentially marketed goodelite? I would have thought that they must have a source to do that

There are rocks and fragments in streams but no actual originating or native source has been found. It may be that the source was completely eroded away by glacier action (a bit like some gold deposits in streams - the gold is there but the original ore site has long since disappeared). More info here: http://www.nzrubyrock.com/hopsite/history/
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 17 May 2013 8:50:35 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: greentater Go to Quoted Post

The Goodeltite is also known as 'Ruby Rock' and is not associated with cinnabar and is sourced from the West Coast

peteatpapaaroha  
Posted : Friday, 17 May 2013 11:41:48 PM(UTC)
peteatpapaaroha

Man
New Zealand

Thanks for your help regarding the red rock post#40
I weighed the sample and it came in at 1020gms and it displaced 335 mils of water, I'm just guessing but does that give it a SG of 3
It scratches glass so I"m picking its hardness is around 6.
When looked at with a 60 to100 power microscope it appears to be ouzzing little globs of mercury all over especially the metallic area where I chipped it.
I will take it Ashly at the local stamper battery and get an opinion from him, but I think you are right Lammerlaw and Shilo when you say Cinnabar but the hardness and SG seem wrong.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 18 May 2013 1:03:35 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

I weighed the sample and it came in at 1020gms and it displaced 335 mils of water, I'm just guessing but does that give it a SG of 3
When looked at with a 60 to100 power microscope it appears to be ouzzing little globs of mercury all over especially the metallic area where I chipped it.
I will take it Ashly at the local stamper battery and get an opinion from him, but I think you are right Lammerlaw and Shilo when you say Cinnabar but the hardness and SG seem wrong.

Interesting indeed as cinnabar is supposed to be about 8.1 and your sample is only 3 if I have it right. Its hardness is 2 or slightly higher.

Cinnabar can ooze small blobs of native mercury and the Spanish cinnabar mines were know for the richness of the ore and the miners used to become affected by Mercury poisoning. Mercury poisoning affects the Kidneys and Liver and also the Brain - hence the saying 'As mad as a Hatter' because Hatters or hat manufacturers in the old days used Mercury in the hat manufacturing process and went quite mad - quite mad - quite mad...like The Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland.

When we were kids at school they let us play with it - roll it along the desk - roll it around in the palms of our hands - have fun with it and I clearly remember the teacher giving us a charcoal block and Bunsen burner with a blow pipe and we put Mercury Oxide powder onto the block then heated it to release the oxygen leaving behind globules of liquid mercury which we tried to keep one way or another eg trying to wrap it in our handkerchiefs to take home! From this you can rest assured that you dont need to be a Hatter to be quite mad!

I also clearly remember trying to swipe everyone elses Mercury...plus the school supply of liquid Mercury as I had this marvelous and magical book - which I still treasure - printed in 1878 called 'Chemists receipts' and it had chapters devoted to making fireworks and the magical word EXPLOSIVES! Mercury could be made into Fulminates of Mercury which was fairly devious stuff. Although I never did it they say that you could put little globs of it on the window and when a fly walked on it then the thing got blasted to Eternity or at the very least got its legs blown off...I am not so sure if the SPCA protects flies or not so I shant say too much more here. I didnt try it as I was somewhat scared of what my old man would do to me if I blew the window to bits after all he flew right off his perch when I managed to blast a simple hole through it when I shot a big blow fly with the .22 - if he gave me a good hiding for making one measly hole in the window I hate to think of what he might have done if the entire window had gone west. The other day I noticed back home that the venetian blind still has the hole where the .22 bullet went though it!

In any case I am itching to find out what your rock is so do hope that you give us an official report. The SG doesnt mean much if the entire rock is not cinnabar. If it is mostly siliceous sinter with the cinnabar on the outside then you could still have cinnabar so I am curious and do hope that you get us some answers.

To finish this blow flies also had another use and some of the members might remember blow fly bombers made from four blowflies (alive of course) and one match halved up the middle! I know that has nothing to do with cinnabar but it has got something to do with blowflies and I think I mentioned something to do with blowflies up above...I think I also mentioned the affects mercury had on Hatters...and cinnabar miners...they went quite mad - quite mad - quite mad!!

Edited by user Saturday, 18 May 2013 1:05:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Shilo  
Posted : Saturday, 18 May 2013 10:01:21 AM(UTC)
Shilo

I'm afraid that an SG of 3 and hardness of above 6 does sound like jasper. The shiny bits could be some sort of mineral inclusions in it but the guys at the local museum or the battery should be able to tell you.

Lammerlaw: It must be blow fly season in the Central Otago???? :)

Edited by user Saturday, 18 May 2013 10:03:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

icemaneli  
Posted : Saturday, 18 May 2013 9:24:39 PM(UTC)
icemaneli

New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Those images are pretty tiny but it looks like haematite, iron (III) oxide, I'm basing that just off the red colour mainly and the sort of metallic look in the first pic
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 18 May 2013 10:11:14 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: icemaneli Go to Quoted Post
Those images are pretty tiny but it looks like haematite, iron (III) oxide, I'm basing that just off the red colour mainly and the sort of metallic look in the first pic

Thats an interesting thought and indeed such is what it might be. Hematite can look very much like cinnabar and indeed Ihave a large rock here which was given to me years ago as cinnabar from Nevis and I have yet to make up my mind whether it is or not because it is the right colour but far too light in weight.

Of course I could have tested it years ago as well but I am known to have a lazy streak a mile long - so lazy that I will even be late to my own funeral.

peteatpapaaroha  
Posted : Sunday, 19 May 2013 4:32:01 PM(UTC)
peteatpapaaroha

Man
New Zealand

I took my piece of red rock to Ashley at the local gold stamper and his opinion was that it was jasper with pyrite and opal.
Still not happy as I thought pyrite was a brassy color not bright silver blobs that look exactly like little balls of mercury when magnified. I then took it to the local mineral/gem guru who straight away told me jasper and were I found it, he was right on the money with location, and showed me some he had, he thought the silver was also pyrite and also said it contained agate and opal. He also kindly offered to cut it to see what we can find inside, as he has not seen jasper with pyrite like that inside before.
He also showed me 2 large pieces of Coromandel cinnabar and they looked just like your samples Lammerlaw.
I agree with the jasper, opal and agate and should be with the pyrite, people with a lot more experience than me.
I will wait until it is cut and post a photo.
Thanks to all those who have taken an interest, this has been nagging me all week.

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 20 May 2013 1:16:43 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

I took my piece of red rock to Ashley at the local gold stamper and his opinion was that it was jasper with pyrite and opal.
Still not happy as I thought pyrite was a brassy color not bright silver blobs that look exactly like little balls of mercury when magnified. I then took it to the local mineral/gem guru who straight away told me jasper and were I found it, he was right on the money with location, and showed me some he had, he thought the silver was also pyrite and also said it contained agate and opal. He also kindly offered to cut it to see what we can find inside, as he has not seen jasper with pyrite like that inside before.
He also showed me 2 large pieces of Coromandel cinnabar and they looked just like your samples Lammerlaw.
I agree with the jasper, opal and agate and should be with the pyrite, people with a lot more experience than me.
I will wait until it is cut and post a photo.
Thanks to all those who have taken an interest, this has been nagging me all week.

Thanks heaps for sharing your findings - it is not just a learning curve for the finder but also for all of us who are curious by nature and like finding out. It i s a nice piece and the fact it has pyrite in it makes it nicer.

I have seen pyrite which is far lighter in colour and indeed almost white - if you get a ten times magnification stereo microscope then you can look at it to determine if the 'white' bits have any cubic or angular form and that would most likely be the convincing factor.

Look forward to seeing the photo of it cut.

peteatpapaaroha  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 May 2013 6:09:20 PM(UTC)
peteatpapaaroha

Man
New Zealand

Ive had the piece of jasper cut and all those grey/silvery looking lines of supposed "pyrites" still look like ouzzing mercury to me under about 60 to 100 magnification, again I will take it to a guy in thames next week who is up on his minerals
I will send you the offcut Lammerlaw.
File Attachment(s):
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 May 2013 11:01:19 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Ive had the piece of jasper cut and all those grey/silvery looking lines of supposed "pyrites" still look like ouzzing mercury to me under about 60 to 100 magnification, again I will take it to a guy in thames next week who is up on his minerals
I will send you the offcut Lammerlaw.

Much appreciated - I will take it to the rock and mineral club and let the guys, gals and gals see what they think. Being in Dunedin - land of snow and ice (at the moment) and the University of Otago with its great Geology Department the rock club is sometimes visited by guest speakers and also frequented by some members with units in geology so many there have a good knowledge of these rocks so it will be interesting to see what they think.

3 Pages<123