New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
oldrimu  
Posted : Monday, 22 September 2014 10:37:53 PM(UTC)
oldrimu

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm thinking about going into Preservation Inlet. Nothing definite but thinking about February 2015. The trip would need to be for a minimum of 7 days (perhaps more) to make it worthwhile. Intention would be to land at Te Oneroa which is on the mainland where the jetty used to be and it is central to the whole area. There was gold on the beaches, on the islands and in the rivers. There were also a number of reefs that were mined. As gold buffs we will have our own methods and interests. Once there we can do our own things, as long as we arrive and leave together (and keep ourselves safe) everything will be fine. The more of us there are, the cheaper and more fun it will be. If interested please reply to this post or ring me at 03 4890333. My name is Craig. Email [email protected]
Golddigger7  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 September 2014 11:11:27 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
:-)

Edited by user Wednesday, 1 October 2014 12:46:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 September 2014 11:52:10 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Hi Craig - Me & a mate may well be interested - Will phone you in a couple of days - cheers
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 September 2014 4:14:35 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
I'm a tentative - just got a bit going on in Jan so might just be down to the dates you choose ;)
oldrimu  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 September 2014 6:38:13 PM(UTC)
oldrimu

New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
No definite numbers yet but a number have responded. Three ((four if I include myself) appear very interested and another three are maybes. Will let it run for a few more days and see what eventuates. We will need to be careful of DOC as it is in a national park but can't see many problems. A boat will be best method and I was thinking February because the weather may be more settled. I was there 30 years ago on the other side of the inlet and I remember seeing drift wood 50 feet up a cliff.

cheers
Craig
Nugget-Hunter  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 September 2014 9:45:28 PM(UTC)
Nugget-Hunter

Man

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Hi Craig,
You can count me in. That's a place I wanted to go for a long time, but only got as far as buying the maps. I will contact you on the weekend to confirm.
Cheers
Peter
jackfrost  
Posted : Friday, 26 September 2014 1:40:29 AM(UTC)
jackfrost

New Zealand

Hi Craig,
Sent you an email the other day, but just thought I'd mention it here as well that I'm keen to join! February would be good for me too. Fingers crossed it all comes together.

Jonas
The Hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 28 September 2014 8:21:26 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Hi Ancient ole Tree

I have some geological data and historical data on Preservation Inlet. Preservation Inlet is no secret. I know of two who have visited it. With detectors, one did very well. Got a one ounce nugget and quite a bit of smaller stuff. But as we know no one person gets all the gold. The cliffs are continually eroding away and releasing more gold. (glacial cliffs). My data is in the public domain, but is contained within Economic Geology books. I have two options, publish it here for all to see, and fire up a few more interested parties or keep it to myself. If your trip eventuates, a must is hire an IRB and take it in on the boat you hire, and of course plenty of DEET ( Sandfly Repellant). If I publish my data you will see why an IRB will be invaluble. Its a bridge to far for me at 67 years young. But man if I was a bit younger I would be there.

Cheers Trev
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 29 September 2014 6:24:18 AM(UTC)
gavin

Yes, an IRB would be very handy for a particulate spot I'd be keen to visit too ;-)
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 29 September 2014 6:45:50 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi guys, Yes an IRB would be essential. Moonlight Point on Coal Island a must visit, & also the old workings on numbers 1, 2, 3, & 4 Creeks. Although these would be all over grown & probably even hard to get to now. Steep-to-Island another must visit. Many places of interest to check out at Preservation Inlet. The Golden Site, The Morning Star Mines, Wilson River, Cavern Head. Just to name a few. Lots of history hidden in the re growth.
Be a fantastic trip if the weather is on your side.

Good luck out there

JW :)
1864hatter  
Posted : Monday, 29 September 2014 8:02:27 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
While I think this all sound like a very good chance at a once in a lifetime trip, is it wise to discuss it on a public forum given the status of the destination? (Doc land??) would be a shame to get there and find a bunch of tree huggers waiting for you!
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
simon  
Posted : Monday, 29 September 2014 9:59:20 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hatter, was thinking the same thing when someone above mentioned it jokingly. While its an isolated place i is a national park. and i've heard of awesome things happening to those that mine in national parks. Probably a little late to keep it on the down low but PM'ing would be a good idea for fine details like where and when.
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 29 September 2014 11:47:37 AM(UTC)
gavin

If oldrimu instructs me to, I'll delete this thread after he's got a list of people interested.

This message will self-destruct in... ;)

Edited by user Monday, 29 September 2014 11:48:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 29 September 2014 7:35:31 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
DOC cant stop you going there. Who said anything about doing some thing illegal. Surely you werent thinking of digging for gold or disturbing historic sites or moving a few rocks?? Nothing wrong with checking out historic places & sites. Take nothing but photo's & leave nothing but footprints. :) :) :)

Good luck out there

JW :)
squires  
Posted : Monday, 29 September 2014 7:56:41 PM(UTC)
squires

went 2 years ago found heaps of riffle casings and screws and nails looked like coal island has been gone over a bit with little piles of finds around tree bases and was told buy fishermen the sea has been dredged a bit between coal and step 2 but great place shot a stag and caught fish, your best bet would be a charter boat they no the spots.
The Hatter  
Posted : Monday, 29 September 2014 8:17:46 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

HI folks

And of course a National Park is indeed a park. But anywhere below a spring high water tide is not included in a National Park, that is a marine enviroment. And Preservation Inlet is not a Marine Sanctury or Marine Park or controlled by DOC. A bit like detecting on Brighton Beach in ChCh. Or Takapuna Beachs Hatter. Same for the afore mentioned islands. And if Oldrimu saw driftwood 50 feet up a cliff face. Well thats one hell of a spring highwater tide mark. Of course any venturing inland is of purely historical value only. Documenting and photographing old gold workings and other gold historical places is hardly illegal. In this whole thread there is no mention of people actually digging or doing anything illegal. Obviously some naughty people have been in there and done that in the past. Why do we always give in to the tree huggers and environuts. Let this thread continue to run in public. It has historical value and is very interesting. And of course Im sure the lads that do get to visit will take a few fishing rods, along with their camera's to record the mighty blue cod they catch. Finding the old battery sites would be fun.
And I look forward to the pictures of these sites and other historical places located.

Cheers Trev aka " The Other Hatter"
1864hatter  
Posted : Monday, 29 September 2014 8:29:49 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Don't get me wrong I would love to go "take some pictures" that area. I'd just hate to see anybody running into trouble. I note the sdc 2300 packs down nice and small, perfect size to stow in a hunting pack....
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
crushit  
Posted : Monday, 29 September 2014 8:32:12 PM(UTC)
crushit

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
TREV,67 IS NT OLD THESE DAYS.Iam sure you would still be capable of dong a trip like this and would enjoy sharing your knowledge with others here.Will duck down the road and see you one day soon if your not to busy or to old to have visitors ha ha.
regards flag.
The Hatter  
Posted : Monday, 29 September 2014 9:09:07 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Hi Folks

A bit of data about The Preserving Jar Place.

http://www.archive.org/s...vgoog#page/n161/mode/2up

Go to page 139.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Somewhere I had more, but buggered if I can find it, in my heaps of maps, papers and data collection. Oh well thats enough to get the idea.
Such a historical place, leave only footprints and take only photo's. If ya run into any tree huggers just pull your pet termites out and let them have a snack, they go for knot holes. And tree huggers have an obvious one.

Cheers Trev aka " The Other Hatter"
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 October 2014 11:51:46 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
I'm keen.
Will you be getting boat transport from Invercargill?
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
2 Pages12>