New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

5AMP  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 September 2014 3:59:23 PM(UTC)
5AMP

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I notice that a number of people on the forum seem to use crevice suckers with some sucess but although I have made several to plans that are on the net and even bought commercial ones none of then seem to work that well. I have a few places where there are good crevices with river sand and small stones but my problem is that although my crevice suckers have very good suction power and can drain a crevice of water and sand most of the material falls out again. I have experimented with collection chambers offset to the side but even here then little gets in and most falls out the inlet.Any ideas?
gold-bug  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 September 2014 9:28:22 PM(UTC)
gold-bug

New Zealand

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 5 post(s)
For cleaning up bedrock I've found that a piece of pvc down pipe with a tennis ball inside it attached to a piece of dowel works well. For cleaning up bedrock I use it without a retention chamber and flick the contents into a bucket, this way you can move a decent amount of material you would otherwise struggle to get with a shovel.
overdog  
Posted : Thursday, 25 September 2014 7:19:47 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Hey mate-best advice I can give is make sure the suction pipe (the bit you actually stick in the crevice) extends up into the body of the sucker by at least 50 mil,the gravels and hopefully gold just sit in the bottom of the sucker body.
mahutaman  
Posted : Thursday, 25 September 2014 10:24:29 PM(UTC)
mahutaman

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Try this link within the forum. Just finished making one about an hour ago. Just tested it in a bucket of old gravel. It had heaps of suction and all the gravel that got sucked up ended up in either the bottom chamber by the nozzle or in the side chamber. Both ends just pop out and you can tip that gravel in your pan. All good!!!! http://www.paydirt.co.nz...-I-Y-crevice-sucker.aspx
I am off to greymouth this sunday for a night and bk on monday night. Time to pull out the sluice finally and try the new sucker. Weather is looking awesome. After months of hibernation the fever has hit yet again!!!!!
5AMP  
Posted : Friday, 26 September 2014 2:41:10 PM(UTC)
5AMP

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Thanks everybody. Overdog your suggestion is the one thing I havent tried so I will experiment. I had thought that putting a collection chamber at right angles to the sucker body would cause material to fall in by gravity but same gravity seems to work more powerfully to let everything fall out again after getting sucked up so extending the intake inside the body should be a good one-many thanks.
overdog  
Posted : Friday, 26 September 2014 7:50:48 PM(UTC)
overdog

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
No worries buddy-just post some pics of that good stuff!
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 26 September 2014 8:15:03 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
UserPostedImage

My home made suckers

UserPostedImage

Bigger one is 50mm

UserPostedImage

When using a crevice sucker with out the nosey parker retention chamber on the end you need to time your up stroke (when the body of the sucker is full of material) & quickly place it over a gold pan or some other collecting item before all the material drops back out on to the ground. It is all in the timing.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Good luck out there

JW :)