New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
Goldnut  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 5:03:45 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 92 post(s)
I have come across this sluice and have seen it perform on youtube. I am thinking about making my own variation but I wanna know if it will work first. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/w...zn_Q&feature=related
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
edyak  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 5:33:39 PM(UTC)
edyak

I was about to ask about these things as well, am new to fossicking and want something for the kids to be able to do/use as well - give me a bit of fishing time while they are loading it up!!
These look quite easy to manage. Keen to hear if anybody knows anything about them.
Thanks
Goldnut  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 8:52:41 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

As far as I can see this guy made one as a tester and the results were quite exceptional. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlKmPslbKe4

I have made some plans for an 80cm long one and a 40cm long one and was planning on making them out of wood... or even plastic/fiberglass. The smaller one would be good to just take around and do some sampling.

By the look of it this sluice cuts the work in half. But I would really like to know if anyone has tried them just so I know whether or not they are worth making... wouldn't buy one until I started making money off this hobby as they cost like $200 US!
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
Maverick  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 9:46:30 PM(UTC)
Maverick

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
quite amazing. although it looks like everything just washes out of it, the videos show it does work
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 9:55:36 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
looks like rubbish along with a lot of other stuff on the market that claim to be the goods.....buyer bewear!!
Maverick  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 9:59:44 PM(UTC)
Maverick

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
have a watch of the video Goldnut posted, a good experiment and explanantion
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 10:08:47 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Originally Posted by: Maverick Go to Quoted Post
have a watch of the video Goldnut posted, a good experiment and explanantion

i did looks like rubbish...though haveing said that i gess that depends on what compasity you deem it to work.....gess it,s like ther sub,y dredge...does it catch gold..probably sum but would you compare it to a decent floating dredge...no !
Goldnut  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 10:11:43 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

It makes sense to me as far as I can tell. I think its like auto-panning. When you use a pan you shake it back and forth liquefying the gravel and sand which stratifies the material... sinking the gold and heavies and raising the light sand. Well if this does what it looks like it is basically shacking the material back and forth but even better it gets rid of the light material until it is full of black sands and other heavies like gold. I have never tried one... nor would even think about buying until I have.

I think I might just have to make the small one and test it out this summer when i head down south. But if anyone else has used one PLEASE let me know how it went.
Goldnut  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 10:15:06 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post
but would you compare it to a decent floating dredge...no !

If I had the money i would definitely prefer the dredge! lol! but right now money is tight and I don't have any gold to show for my efforts yet. So until this hobby starts paying for itself I wont be seeing any floating dredge...

Edited by user Tuesday, 2 August 2011 10:15:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 10:27:19 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Lol some of these fella,s must be creaming it...like they say the dood selling the pic,s n shovles make,s the coin!!...i mean look at all the material in that contraption...it,s all lite as can be no wonder when he fingers it it,s allll sloppy ...wer,s all the heavy black sand....i say total DUD.
Goldnut  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 11:07:57 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post
Lol some of these fella,s must be creaming it...like they say the dood selling the pic,s n shovles make,s the coin!!...i mean look at all the material in that contraption...it,s all lite as can be no wonder when he fingers it it,s allll sloppy ...wer,s all the heavy black sand....i say total DUD.

No worries, I think that I will give it a try and see for my self. maybe even putting a sluice box behind catching everything that falls out. and see if it works. but that won't be for a while.

But if someone actually has one that would help. than I don't have to waist my time.

The other downfall is that it needs a lot more water flow. so it wouldn't be great... I guess, with a smaller stream.

Also @gingerbreadman check out this video and let me know what you think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ1xk4Td_bc

I really haven't made my mind up on this but if I it makes it as easy as it looks and it works... it will be a winner for me... that is till I can get a dredge.

Edited by user Tuesday, 2 August 2011 11:09:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 11:43:44 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Goldnut, It looks like a lemon to me. People are always trying to reinvent the wheel. Dont waste your time just make yourself a standard, proven sluice box with riffles & carpet. Even if it is just all made from wood. THEY WORK. But the gold has to be there in the first place.
The gold he shows in his pan is no gaurantee that it came out of his box from that material that he showed that he put down it. Salesman ship. He is just out to make a buck at the expense of others. Dont fall for it.....

JW
Goldnut  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 11:45:28 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Cheers for that.
gjj109  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 11:50:17 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
It would be interesting to see what it looked like after a couple of days of dropping unclassified west coast boulders onto it. I don't know about others, but there's not a lot of places i go to where you can shovel directly into the sluice. Certainly not nice free flowing gravel like those chaps had. And, if I could get that much gold from 25 shovels full, well I would be a glad wee lad.

I am sure it would work well in the right place, I just can't think where that place might be. I'm with JW, get something that you know will do the job. Then, when you know that you can be successful, look at changing or improving your gear. After all, that is half the "fun" of it.
oroplata  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 August 2011 6:30:23 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

If you check the comments to the youtube video, it appears things are not quite right.

Sambo  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 August 2011 7:28:51 PM(UTC)
Sambo

Man
New Zealand

I have made a bazooka one out of aluminium. Tried it recently up the Arrow with Zimbo. My construction not great with the grizzlys, (some fell out), did catch some colour and will use again after repair. This design classifies as you use and with the design, should be able to feed all day. Not sure about the effect of th large quanities of iron sand we found up the Arrow. Regular sliuce box still ok.
Goldnut  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 August 2011 7:59:23 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Originally Posted by: Sambo Go to Quoted Post
I have made a bazooka one out of aluminium. Tried it recently up the Arrow with Zimbo. My construction not great with the grizzlys, (some fell out), did catch some colour and will use again after repair. This design classifies as you use and with the design, should be able to feed all day. Not sure about the effect of th large quanities of iron sand we found up the Arrow. Regular sliuce box still ok.

@Sambo I would be really interested in seeing a pic of your sluice... how did you construct it with aluminium? So did you think that it was worth the build? Cheers
1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 August 2011 9:43:05 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
My sluice cost me nothing to make, My old man is a slainless steel engineer so he bent me up a chanel but the rest is made from stuff lying around home and in the shed. Its much like Kiwijws old sluice with wooden riffles. Usually i shovel material into a bucket and cart it to the sluice, i sort out any bigger rocks as i go but really dont do much of that. Then i just throw the whole lot in my sluice in a few lots and pick out anything thats too big for the water to move. No clasifiyng required! I have checked my tailings and there is virtually no gold in them. Perhaps id get some more fine gold if i did classify my material but its not really worth the effort. Also where i go there is no black sand so the riffles etc dont get filled up with crap. There seems to be a lot of hype out there about all these different recovery systems but lets face it, gold is extremely dense and hard to move. Simple crevices and hollows in rivers get filled with gold so why do we need elaborate systems? Its got a lot more to do with water flow, basically you have to have the balance right between moving the material effectively and recovering your gold. Thats my 5 ents worth anyway. Hope it helps those that require it.

Hatter
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 4 August 2011 1:19:10 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1864hatter Go to Quoted Post
My sluice cost me nothing to make, My old man is a slainless steel engineer so he bent me up a chanel but the rest is made from stuff lying around home and in the shed. Its much like Kiwijws old sluice with wooden riffles. Usually i shovel material into a bucket and cart it to the sluice, i sort out any bigger rocks as i go but really dont do much of that. Then i just throw the whole lot in my sluice in a few lots and pick out anything thats too big for the water to move. No clasifiyng required! I have checked my tailings and there is virtually no gold in them. Perhaps id get some more fine gold if i did classify my material but its not really worth the effort. Also where i go there is no black sand so the riffles etc dont get filled up with crap. There seems to be a lot of hype out there about all these different recovery systems but lets face it, gold is extremely dense and hard to move. Simple crevices and hollows in rivers get filled with gold so why do we need elaborate systems? Its got a lot more to do with water flow, basically you have to have the balance right between moving the material effectively and recovering your gold. Thats my 5 ents worth anyway. Hope it helps those that require it.

Hatter

G'day Hatter, Mate I couldnt agree with you more. People just get too caught up in trying to re-invent the wheel. You cant beat the tried & proven basic sluice box. The only things you can change about them is the size of riffle, the spacings of the riffles, the number of the riffles, the angle of the riffles, the length of the box, the amont of water flow & velocity & steepness of the box in the river. You can muck around with expanded mesh, carpet, miners moss, astro turf, ribbed rubber matting, length of slick plate etc. But all these different things are dependent on the material you are going to be working & the size & density of the gold you are targeting or is in the area you are working. eg flood gold, flakey gold, chunky gold or fine gold. Or maybe a mixer of all. Clay can be a problem, & there is nothing worse for robbing your box of gold than clay.
It acts like putty & just rolls on down your box as a clay ball picking up any gold that it rolls over & on out the end of your box. You must totaly brake clay up before putting it down your box.
As hatter said, for a cheap to no cost sluice box. Wooden riffles will do the job. These ones in my first box were just 1 inch by 1 inch square & spaced about 1.5 inches apart to form a riffle ladder. Worked fine. Box was 1200 long by 250mm wide bent up aluminium sheet but you could just knock it up out pf ply.
I just did the same as Hatter & if I was digging away from my box set up in the rtiver then I would bucket the material to it of just shovel straight in to it if I could. Didnt worry about classifying & just rinsed any bigger rocks in the sluice & chucked away & racked on any other material that was struggling to wash on through.

UserPostedImage

Happy hunting

JW :)
Goldnut  
Posted : Thursday, 4 August 2011 7:54:26 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

That's a nice looking sluice JW. Are those riffles just blocks of wood or are they the Hungarian? cheers
2 Pages12>