New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

9 Pages«<56789>
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 23 October 2011 8:57:03 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Metal Kiwi Go to Quoted Post
Shane you could try doing the same tests with the items on the ground surface and see what you get.
Or lay the detector on a table with the coil over the edge and do an air test on all items.
You might get unusual readings if the sensitivity is set too high too. From memory I used to
run my 250 on about 3 segments sens most of the time.
HH
Chris.

Thats interesting info there. I plan to do further tests. Some deeper. Would you say that higher sensitivity loses ground strength. I will try and sus it out.

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 23 October 2011 9:24:39 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

#36 trip. the site 8. Its just gettin better and better now. Was just about had enough with small coin after coin when i found a japanese coin on a string knecklace with a small piece of stone attached. Now this is wot i call the find of the month. Well for me anyhow. (Maybe not, the 1854 penny token was pretty cool.) Soon as i seen it i stopped digging, went to the van and got my hand trowel and a plastic bag and the camera. Went back casualy as not to create attention and carefully excavated the find. Yeha. Now that makes 1 piece of jewelly per say too every 13 coins found. Aprox. Attracting attention anyway down there. People walking up to me now and interested in wot im doin. A friend stopped for a howdy, and another guy heard i was there and came by with his detector, we plan to hook up for a hunt. he seemed very keen. Wot a day was real cool. 1 goldie, 11 coins all up and a coin knecklace. (Which makes it 12 coins.)

12 coins
UserPostedImage

Just about to go home and ding ding... A proud moment for the ace.
UserPostedImage

The find. Nylon chord with a hollow center coin added. Been hit with a mower, just, id say.
UserPostedImage

Shane

Edited by user Tuesday, 1 November 2011 9:41:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
crisyboy  
Posted : Sunday, 23 October 2011 11:07:36 AM(UTC)
crisyboy

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 69 post(s)
awesome Shane looks like a Japanese 5 yen.
great find we got a bit of history at that place,
lots of great parties,fishing trips,heaps of cool
friends. sad to see its gone,but good to see
your finds,must be gold just around the corner.
Shilo  
Posted : Sunday, 23 October 2011 12:22:01 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
You are doing well at that site Shane! Nice chunk of greenstone there.

With the sensitivity of the detector maxed out you don't loose depth as such but you will get a lot more interference. The detector will "hear" everything instead of just the target signals. This means the poor little brain of the detector is trying to work out what is ground mineralisation, EMI (from power lines, houses etc) and that gold ring 10" down. Because it is hearing everything it will only try to report (sound off in the headphones) the strongest signals it gets and chances are a target will not be the strongest signal. Your detector may not be falsifying or sounding off too much but the brain of it could still be tuning out the targets because it is confusing them with the interference.

Liken it to being at a party. Your friends voice may be distinctive and recognisable to you but with all the other noise going on picking that one voice from the crowd is near impossible. The detector is made to tune out all the other voices and listen in on your friends but the louder the volume the less it is able to do this (unless your mate is close to you which is the same as a shallow target).

With the higher end detectors you can adjust this or that setting to reduce interference before turning down the sensitivity but in most situations the receiver gain from the coil still has to be turned down. For example I don't believe my V3i reaches any deeper then my AT Pro (which is close to your 350) but because I can tune the settings more it can identify the deep targets better.

Turning the sensitivity down will not reach deeper but it will mean the detector hears less of the interference around you and be able to id a signal as a target better.

This is also the reason why the lead registered as iron. The deeper the target is the less signal the detector has to work on and the less sure it will be in the id'ing of it from all the background "noise". I find that the deeper the target is the lower the VDI will be for it, this is the same for both of my detectors.

With the AT Pro I normally hunt on the beach with one notch removed from the sensitivity and when on land - 2 or 3 notches removed. This seems to work in picking up and id'ing the target better then if it was maxed out.

Also with the Garret detectors the sensitivity is not linear, if you graphed it out it would be more like a curve. In other words turning the sensitivity down to the half way mark (4 notches removed) does not mean you will only get 50% the maximum depth. Instead you will still get something like 75% of the depth. With it 3/4 of the way (2 notches removed) you still getting something around the 95% of the maximum depth. Thus turning it down by one or 2 notches doesn't make much difference to the depth. BUT it can make a large difference in picking up interference and mineralisation.

Hope this helps. I haven't been out hunting for a while and am suffering from withdrawal symptoms. Currently waiting for the invasion of Aucklander's to disappear off the island so I can find all the stuff they have left behind!

rgmcbrid  
Posted : Sunday, 23 October 2011 7:52:55 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Interesting post Shilo. Having a fairly sensitive detector I run into interference troubles fairly often. What I try first is to switch frequencies and sometimes that sorts it out. When that fails I do a manual ground balance which helps sometimes if it wasn't really interference, saltwater soaked sand is a good example. When that does not work I start turning down the sensitivity until I am getting less interference and clear signals. As you said, even at 50% I don't notice a reduction in depth. There could be one, but I can't tell and still end up digging coins at the normal depths.

The one thing I really like about my Fisher detector is that it has a readout for how confident the computer is about what it is reporting. Apparently when it gets a signal it feels like it has to report it, but if it can't figure out what it is I can see that it does not know. For example it will give me a '77' and if it has no confidence it is almost always a bottle cap or some other piece of junk that was big enough and or shaped right to fool the discrimination. If on the other hand it says it is highly confident that it is a '77' it's almost a sure bet that it is a penny or a silver coin.
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 24 October 2011 8:14:03 AM(UTC)
Shilo

The AT in pro mode uses sound for similar accuracy. If it is a clean clear tone then it will be a coin or ring etc, if there is any breakup in the tone it is normally junk. The V3i has a range of methods - in the spectragraph the bars representing the 3 frequencies will be all in a line and of similar colour if it is a good target, but all over the place if junk. In the polar plot it will graph out the 3 frequencies and if the lines are in the upper quadrant and straight then it will be a good find. The more confident the machine is of its findings the more uniform the graphs will be - if it is unsure the graphs start to break up and look messy.

But with both detectors (and I am assuming other makes as well) this level of accuracy will reduce with the depth of a target. For example the polar plot on the V3i is only good to 15cm after that it becomes unreliable to use so I only use it with my Goldie program where shallow $1 & $2's are the only things not discriminated out. The spectragraph is better and works down to around 25cm but is not as accurate in id'ing (it will show a V bottle cap as a coin which the polar plot won't).

The deeper the target the less reliable any dectector id becomes. Thus if a target is shallow and the detector is telling me it is junk then it will be and I won't dig. But if the target is deep and the detector is saying "junk" then I won't believe it and dig anyway. Sometimes it will be a piece of iron but surprisingly often it is a nice coin or ring.

I haven't used a Fisher but assume it will be the same. Thus if it was telling me that it was confident in its id of junk but the target was a deep one - I would still dig. I seem to find most deep targets are good finds anyway since they are normally older and from a time before pull tab and screw tops etc were around.

Edited by user Monday, 24 October 2011 8:41:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

creamer  
Posted : Monday, 24 October 2011 10:00:02 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Guess i got a lot to learn and of late thats wot ive been doing. Went to the usual spot yesterday and after an hour of beeping through the junk, and sandflies... my brain stopped computing through being scrambled continuously with every beep known to mankind...Anyhow i found two 5 cent pieces in amongst all that. Hmmm. I do like to hunt in all metal mode so i can hear wots goin on as well as visual. Especially when 90% of hits are iron which may or may not bounce around. Turning the sensitivity down a notch or two doesnt seem to affect the depth much so thats good. Maybe 3 notches is differant. I have noticed that 5 cent pieces come up (where it says 5 cent) as a low signal just before halfway, gold/pull tab, and 1 cent pieces come up high (where it says 1 cent), just before silver. Anyhow i will work on those ideas thanks cos this place im doing needs adjusting on the machine to make it tollerable...lol, and to narrow things down a bit. Great info guys. Nice to hear from you.

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 24 October 2011 10:14:53 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Originally Posted by: crisyboy Go to Quoted Post
awesome Shane looks like a Japanese 5 yen.
great find we got a bit of history at that place,
lots of great parties,fishing trips,heaps of cool
friends. sad to see its gone,but good to see
your finds,must be gold just around the corner.

Yip, a japanese yen. Awesome find i cant believe it. This spot is about to finish. Well i want to finish it up for now, its to intense. A couple more cricket sized pitch runs and thats it for now. over the actual buildings in the corner. And yes we do have a fair bit of history there ourselves. Running the hostel, the common room, (we called it the love hotel...) the english guys who were insane on fishing, the missions, awesome place. Now its bulldozed...Ah well memories are cool. I wonder if we dropped any of the coins there. Probably. I only have one original pik of the place but i cant find it yet.

Bro

Edited by user Tuesday, 1 November 2011 9:43:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
crisyboy  
Posted : Monday, 24 October 2011 10:40:34 AM(UTC)
crisyboy

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 69 post(s)
bro, very confusing all this beeps,sensitivity,discrim,etc
im glad i got an easy detector just turn it on turn it up
and wait for a signal and dig,i figuriff your in a good
spot dig the lot an see what u get always surprises me
its all about the spot and the homework and effort
you put in.
creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 25 October 2011 5:17:56 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Your on to it there bro, thats how you find the cool stuff. The yha site would be a hard one tho. Its doin/done my head in from 8 attempts. Even with the discriminator its very hard goin in some spots. So much iron/metal its amazing. Anyhow, Puhi puhi mines on thurs/friday.

loot...
UserPostedImage
The loot sorting department
UserPostedImage
A load of loot so far at one spot
UserPostedImage
A selection of recent finds
UserPostedImage

Shane

Edited by user Tuesday, 25 October 2011 5:30:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
chrischch  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 October 2011 12:52:03 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Whats that cool looking Treasure magazine? Any good?
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 October 2011 5:21:08 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

I tried to post this once already but since it isn’t here I guess I botched it, if this is a repeat I apologize:

Shilo,

Yes my Fisher behaves similarly, deeper targets make for poorer signals and I dig them all. As you said with trashy targets the computer can’t make up its mind and bounces around and won’t settle down.

Something I learned (and I am still learning) is to use all the information available. In my case that is the audio, the digital readout (which is a separate process than the audio), the confidence, and the depth. Put all those together and sweep from different angles and you get the best guess at the target. Oh, and I will swing the detector higher and higher in the air over the target until I lose it. If it keeps reading way up in the air the object is huge (like a can) and I don’t believe the high reading the detector is giving.

Another thing I learned to do is to really pinpoint the target before digging. Saves work and avoids damaging valuable treasures.

Back on the subject of interference, something I forgot to mention is that my detector has different programs that effect how the computer interprets targets. For example there is a jewellery setting, a bottle cap setting etc. Monday I was having a lot of trouble with interference and after trying all the tricks mentioned earlier I simply switched to ‘bottle cap’ mode and that cleaned things up nicely. I assume because it is a less sensitive program.
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 October 2011 7:08:36 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Some good tips there. Now and again I forget about lifting the coil in the adrenalin buzz of the detector reading good silver and have a major let down when can is uncovered! :)

The V3i has a sliding scale to set the level of bottle cap reject. From its help screen it says the "BC reject setting adjusts how strongly the audio "breaks up" on iron. Especially true for bottle caps due to their shape". So if the Fisher is similar it shouldn't effect EMI interference and not make the detector any less sensitive but it will have a major effect if the ground has a lot of ferrous in it (black sand?). Then again Fisher could be using a different method to determine what is a bottle cap. The main thing is that it works!

Have also learnt that DD coils are bad for EMI, I want to get a small concentric coil one day to play with and to hit spots that where I have trouble calming the current DD coil down.
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 October 2011 9:29:25 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

I would not swear the bottle cap program was the solution; I am not sure what it is about this park, but the interference is really bad in some areas and not so bad in others. Underground power wires? So it might have been that I switched as I was wandering out of the interference area.

Our two machines sound fairly similar in how they operate. I was using a Gold Bug and was quite happy with it but tried the F75 and immediately fell in love with it. It costs twice as much as the Gold Bug, and I wouldn’t say it is twice as good (Poohbear detected circles around me a couple weeks ago at Tonz beach spot), but it is better at discrimination. I don’t think I am finding anything I wouldn’t have found with the Gold Bug or any other decent detector, but I dig a fraction of the junk and therefore cover more ground in a day. Monday I was out for about 4 hours, found a heap of coins, and only dug 2 or 3 bottle caps and about the same number of pull tabs. Still, I feel like I learn something every time I go out.
creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 27 October 2011 8:06:54 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post
Whats that cool looking Treasure magazine? Any good?

Came with the 350 in the box Choice ay. Ill try to pik out some piks from it next week.
Great convo goin but i gotta go. Two day mission with chrisyboy. Zoom, back soon.

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 30 October 2011 10:43:32 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

GOLD AT LAST
#37 trip. Great two days out with Chrisyboy. Hit a large difficult beach then ended up at a short beach where the going was good. Choice we found a Glory Lane. We hit a 925 silver ring with a very nice stone, a sterling silver pendant engraved and then half way along we found a nice small GOLD ring with a small diamond. 10k. Again that was a 10k GOLD ring. Found about 60 coins, the best being a nz 1946 threepence. We were finding 3 or 4 at a time, there were heaps. Not bad for 2 hours there.
The days finds
UserPostedImage
A small beach
UserPostedImage
Happy moment
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Shane

Edited by user Sunday, 30 October 2011 10:50:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Sunday, 30 October 2011 11:20:48 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Congrats on the Gold Shane.
Must be my turn next. :-)
HH
Chris.
Shilo  
Posted : Sunday, 30 October 2011 11:40:58 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Great going on the GOLD & SILVER!!!!! Yippee!!!!!
Still buzzing??? :)
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 30 October 2011 11:49:11 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Your turn next Metal k.
Yip, im still ampin out, yeha. Couldnt believe it when i dug it up, but yes. Yeha again.

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
1864hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 30 October 2011 1:26:26 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Haha that made me smile creamer FINALLY you got your gold ring! well done may you get many more.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
9 Pages«<56789>