New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Davkat  
Posted : Thursday, 28 July 2016 5:49:52 PM(UTC)
Davkat

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hi all,

I'm based in canterbury and have recently thought of panning/looking for gold as a hobby while I'm out and about. I like to fish and hunt so see a fair few remote places on my travels.

Basically I would love some advice on what is required, do I need a permit to just pan in a random stream I come across that sort of thing. I see there are dedicated fossicking areas but none within a couple of hours drive.

I have checked out the NZPAM website which was very confusing and the response to my email seems to be a generic copy paste response which did not explain much.

Also any recommendations on basic equipment would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to spend a ton of money I just thought if I could throw a pan and a shovel in my pack while i'm out and about it might be a bit of fun.

Anyway guys any help you can give would be great.

Thanks.
gavzilla  
Posted : Thursday, 28 July 2016 9:04:43 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi there, there's very little gold areas in Canterbury and those that are about will no doubt be claimed, you best off sticking to the public areas or working out who owns what (admin gavin has a great new permit update you can request to become part of) generally I go by the rule of thumb if it's not under claim go have a pan or sluice, you've got to know there's gold about if you wish to claim a certain area yourself.
Davkat  
Posted : Friday, 29 July 2016 9:37:36 AM(UTC)
Davkat

New Zealand

Hi Gavzilla,

Thank you for the quick reply. Is it legal to have a pan or sluice in an unclaimed area or do you need to have some form of permit for doing it?

I had a look on the net before posting and you are dead right not much going on in Canterbury but I usually hunt a couple of hours at least from home so I could be in North otago/ South canterbury. I also hunt a lot up the heads of the big rivers here in canterbury, pretty much on the west coast. I have no Idea if there would be anything up there or even if I'm allowed to pan on DOC land without permission.

Many thanks.

gavzilla  
Posted : Friday, 29 July 2016 11:12:36 AM(UTC)
gavzilla

In reality it's not legal as all minerals are owned by the crown, but it's very hard to enforce the law it's even hard for claim owners to prosecute poachers, I even know of guys caught dredging in the public area of the arrow river and the police just moved them on. So for a guy up an river having a play with a pan in my opinion is fine, we even let the odd guy on our claim as they don't do much harm and often tell us if they find good color so it works well.

I think the closest place for you to look that's unclaimed may be the lindis river? A lot of people gather in the camping bays over summer and have a go.

As far as the head waters in Canterbury go there's no reason why gold wouldn't be there, what the old timers considered commercially viable then is way different now, the gold rush boys on tv are happy with 1g per cubic meter! I know areas in the arrow that pay 6g per meter of dirt and were left for richer grounds back in the day. I suppose the price of gold back then was the determined factor.

Good hunting.
Davkat  
Posted : Friday, 29 July 2016 11:37:44 AM(UTC)
Davkat

New Zealand

Thank you very much for the reply and answering my questions.

Is there any specific equipment you would recommend? Ie. A certain type of pan? I have seen people with a a little sucker bottle for grabbing any gold or would I just be able to pour anything into a bottle of some sort.

Also where does one go preferably online for purchasing said equipment.

Cheers.
gavzilla  
Posted : Friday, 29 July 2016 12:22:06 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

Any pan will do, it's all down to technique when using, just watch YouTube for tips. Bigger is better though! Trade me has all the gear you need to start, a pan, a sucker bottle, shovel and small sluice to start. A classifier and bucket if you work slow creeks. Tweezers and optional dive mask or underwater viewer to view the stuff you will miss on the bed rock. (A hand sucker) The list can go on and on until eventually like me you fill your garage and the car has to live outside :) when you find some nice stuff and get the fever you'll quickly learn what you'll need to make life easy.

I stress though the most important aspect is spending lots and lots of hours getting pan technique right, it takes lots of patience to work the concentrates down to blacksand and then to separate the micro gold. You can practice at home in a tub using lead shot or fishing shot, put in say 10 and see how many are left.
jollyr  
Posted : Saturday, 30 July 2016 2:39:58 PM(UTC)
jollyr

Man
New Zealand
Location: New Zealand. South Island. In a motorhome ("HamHilton")

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi gavzilla
check out mp60076 before heading to the Lindis.
😒
I know the claim holder and he is fairly easy to get along with.
He does allow a limited number of people there although they need to contact him directly, as with all claims the claim holder is responsible for the actions of those operating on the claim. ☺
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Sunday, 31 July 2016 9:30:13 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46