New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

6 Pages<1234>»
gogold  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 May 2013 8:37:50 PM(UTC)
gogold

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
http://www.med.govt.nz/s...s-programme-2013-web.pdf

check out page 15 and 16 relating to fossicking areas. hell it might even be easier to make a fossicking area then to get your own claim.
nafcd  
Posted : Sunday, 7 July 2013 2:21:47 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
would it be any use contacting the potential permit owners now to see if they will let hand sluices/panning on site or best leave things until its official. could be limited use of area left if they choose to lock it up.
twist2open  
Posted : Monday, 29 July 2013 3:17:40 PM(UTC)
twist2open

New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nafcd Go to Quoted Post
i contacted the park owner recently about spending a few days there and he told me it was possibly under a claim. from what i have heard and read the claim would be granted. money talks. especially where mining is involved.

The thing is people are trying to find gold , why ? because its worth $ so it shouldn't be surprising if someone that wants to dredge the river goes and pays the $ to nzpam and goes ahead and owns the claim , rather than crying that they cant go there and pan people should wise up and not be so tight.

Im surprised that the holiday park hasn't tried to own it, tho as on the map it will stop us all going there as it appears to start well below the camp ground and goes a long way up both branches its a shame but we do go there , why ? because we find gold if i had a device better than a pan i would use it to.

Wheres the next closest place to go now tho
nafcd  
Posted : Monday, 29 July 2013 8:44:30 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

its not a matter of being tight. there is no way I could afford a claim, even a small one at prices that nzpam want and i'm sure a lot of other members would be in the same position. they are making it so that only business can afford it or serious amateurs with a stack of spare cash. I don't have a problem paying some $ to a claim owner for panning or hand sluicing rights though.

Edited by user Monday, 29 July 2013 8:48:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

simon  
Posted : Monday, 29 July 2013 10:04:55 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
i think lammerlaw used to say the accessible gold areas should be left for everyone to have a play on. the arrow is a prime example of what could be on every river.
sure, there's heaps of private dredgers up there. but in reality how many people would even get upriver that far.
the public area is a good couple of kilometres of riverbed. everyone can get down there and have a pan or sluice. you can even drive down in a 2wd usually if there are disabled people involved.
the shotover is similar in that there is also an area with good vehicle access usually, although it's actually a private claim.
ithink most people just need somewhere handy to have a play, get some exercise, and get themselves and/or the family outdoors.
it's a shame the tenure review process didn't open up some of the now foreign owned counntryside for us kiwis to roam over. so much for our land.
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 29 July 2013 10:50:25 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
If a claim is actively worked its one thing but the majority of claimed land is tied up by large companies who have no plans of actually working the area. These companies tie up the land because it makes their balance sheet look good - if they ever get to mine it will just a bonus. The Coromandel Peninsula is one good example of this as there is no way the anti-mining movement will ever let more of the peninsula be mined yet there is a massive areas under exploration and prospecting permits (e.g. Waihi Golds Tairua to Kuaotuna prospecting permit). The companies know they will never to get to mine there but it looks good to their investors. Its all about money but the money is not in the gold - its in the investment.

These are the areas that should allow recreational fossicking and Dansey Pass is similar. But the Govt is not going to change their policy until there is an organised movement pushing for recreational fossicking. This forum is the closest organisation there is and maybe in the future an offshoot will develop that can promote fossicking rights.

Edited by user Monday, 29 July 2013 10:51:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Good to go  
Posted : Tuesday, 30 July 2013 9:19:00 AM(UTC)
Good to go

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Organised get together for Paydirt members (Oct 2013)

Woman

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 12 post(s)
So gutted i was preparing a holiday down there to try my sluice out. So gutted now where do i go
Good to go  
Posted : Tuesday, 30 July 2013 9:19:00 AM(UTC)
Good to go

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Organised get together for Paydirt members (Oct 2013)

Woman

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 12 post(s)
So gutted i was preparing a holiday down there to try my sluice out. So gutted now where do i go
nafcd  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 August 2013 12:00:48 AM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: LepreSean Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Goldie Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys. It appears as thought someone has submitted a claim for a mining permit in and around the dansey's pass holiday park. Will be interesting to see if they still allow people to fossick there with hand tools if and when the permit is approved.It's a very popular place to go and try and find a bit of colour and and have a bit of a play. Panned my first ever bit of colour there mysef a couple of years ago. I apoligize if this has already been mentioned.

Dwayne.

Here is a link to the permit No55179 https://data.nzpam.govt.....aspx?commodity=minerals has only just been submitted, so a bit of breathing space yet, it is a 20 year permit, and part of it straddles the Glass Earth prospecting permit. Here is a link to the company that has the Maerewhenua premit http://www.business.govt...i/pages/companies/822741 shows two directors with Auckland and Dargaville addresses.

I see on the nzpam site that the permit has been granted effective from 5/8/13
G-old  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 August 2013 1:38:42 AM(UTC)
G-old

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 4 post(s)
It appears that there wasnt enuf farmers n fishermen kicking up a stink as the map now shows that the claim has ben approved and is now active so i guess when ever this company decides to start mining its going to mean we cant be paning ect there , dose any one no wot happens if u do pan there does the company put up signs and police it ?
Are you still able to have a pan at the camp ground if ur staying there ?
Its really gay i just made a new sluce box n was hoping to try it out soon

I rung nzpm and asked about a hobby claim but there is no such thing you pay the same as a big company to submit a claim is 3500 $ but they said the big cost is in all the paper work linz reports linz have to permit you the right to be there , a gns report and land statis report , as well as a resorce concent - depending on type of mining and a bunch of other bits n bobs and to top it off if u submit a claim app and one things missing or not right u dont get the 3500 back from nzpam u gota start from scratch so its some big $ .
Its crazy u even need to apply to nzpm to pan in places were there is no claim .
Its nuts just to find some colour n ya pan , not exactly fair is it .

Edited by user Wednesday, 7 August 2013 2:37:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TG  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 August 2013 11:25:37 AM(UTC)
TG

New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I don't understand the ill sentiment towards the person who has taken out this permit. Everyone who has panned, sluiced or dredged in this area in the past has done so illegally without a permit. The person who has taken out the permit has followed the rules and got themselves a permit where they can mine.

If you are upset that you can't go panning/sluicing in this area, remember you have never legally been able to do it. If you want an area to go fossicking, then lobby for it, do something about it. Try to get the rules changed, get new fossicking areas created or apply for your own permit.

I don't like the rules either, I think they are overly restrictive and the current one approach for all doesn't work as there is no recognition of scale of the activity with regard to the costs of getting a permit.

Take your frustrations to NZPAM. Don't whinge about the person who has legally got themselves a permit, no doubt at considerable cost.

G-old  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 August 2013 12:01:58 PM(UTC)
G-old

Man
New Zealand

I dont think that the folks on here hate the owners , just peved that a company frm auckland now owns a pice of north otago river thats been used to have a quiet pan as theres 1 k of easy walks to the rivers edge and a lot of old timers go there for a play .
Were not anti permit holders its just a bit of a shame for those of us that are weekenders as its a bita fun were we kin geta bita colour and its cheep entertainment were we take the family ect
nafcd  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 August 2013 1:42:00 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

absolutely right there g-old. I cant see any issues with the permit holders either. its the system that stops your average joe blogs from having a pan anywhere not permitted that I have issues with. TG I have taken this up with nzpam several times but you might as well bang your head against the wall. their standard answer is to point out the penalties for illegal use and directing to the application forms to apply for a permit. they are bloody useless and not interested. they wont even say who the appropriate mp is to complain to either.
G-old  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 August 2013 3:47:19 PM(UTC)
G-old

Man
New Zealand

Tg dose have a vaild point ,we all dream of finding a ten ounce nugget and if we were able to get one it sounds fair that we should all have a pernit but if ur paning ur guna have to do a lot to cover the cost of a permit and ofcourse u need the permit 1st so its a catch 22 .

Its hard to find the right info as ive bin given so much mis-information in my 2 years of paning , by other people who clearly dt no wot laws are wot .
Looking on the nzpam site , it looks like theres not many places left to claim unless u have a chopper or heavy earth moving gear so us hobby miners are shit outa luck by the sound of it .
I dt fink people are winging just frustrated .
nafcd  
Posted : Saturday, 10 August 2013 9:45:02 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

its going to be interesting this summer when all the holiday makers and weekend fossickers turn up to do the things they have been doing for years, even if technically it was illegal, only to find signs up saying this area is now taken. I wonder if the camp owner will be able to come to an agreement with them for campers to fossick. also does anyone know if the permit holders will be allowed to dig around the bridge area above the camp. that's a nice wee area there for swimming and views. be a shame if they are allowed to destroy that section.
G-old  
Posted : Saturday, 10 August 2013 10:06:33 PM(UTC)
G-old

Man
New Zealand

The sign is up and that swiming hole is full up n is a foot deep now since the big winter floods the rivers much diffrent now . Maybe the if the camp have paid the permit holder for it, if so the camps guna be full up all year lol .
Ya mite have to ring n ask id say it mite be worth the investment for them , but i dont no how many people go there just for the paning as i give the camp a lil bit of space as of holiday makers n its there land , whats it like there ive not stayed there before. They would proberly make u hire there pans tho to make some extra $ im guessing.
They must of had some kinda deal with nzpam or they would get in trouble for advertiseing it n profiting from it?
If uve stayed there let me no wot its like it mite be a cheep way to get some long days in over the summer.
simon  
Posted : Sunday, 11 August 2013 10:34:33 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
who actually has the claim?
i'm wondering why the camp didn't ever take a claim out if so many visitors paid to stay and then pan/sluice for all holiday.
i reckon the answer is the cost. not worth the huge costs of the permit plus plus plus.
as stated above no one was ever allowed to pan or anything there. but many did didn't they. which just goes to show how many people actually get a rats arse to whatever degree about the law. it sure is full of it in other areas.
if there is enough people moaning about this one spot surely they can all get together and get a public claim sorted for everyone to use. the camp people may even be interested in some way.
also mentioned above is where these new claim holders will actually mine. all it take sis someone meddling and they will put aside any areas of controversy if someone speaks up before mining starts. however i doubt they will be able to mine too close to infrastructure like bridges. then, if it's just suction dredges they will do the whole area minus any historic stuff such as wing dams or whatever.
nafcd  
Posted : Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:03:33 AM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

the permit owners are a company called dale franklin or it might be franklin dale. a mr. franklin and a mr. dale own it strangely. cant find anything on the net that actually says what their main source of work is but maybe it is mining. they don't seem to have any direct contact details which I guess is understandable. they would be inundated with calls asking to allow panning and possibly abuse if they say no which I guess they will.

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:06:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gogold  
Posted : Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:49:23 AM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
simon in regards to dredging near bridges etc, most times the consents state no dredging within 20m of bridges or structures that have foundations/footings in the riverbed. and similar for historic features although some allow to dredge within a meter or so of historic features.

for the claim holder to allow a bunch of fossickers to pan/sluice on his claim would be stupid, the claim owner is liable for any activity he permits to be carried out on the claim he also needs liability insurance. I don't think they would risk some loopies getting him in the crap with RMA and risk fines and I sure as hell don't think hell fork out an extra few k to insure you guys.

think you guys just need to get over it, snooze you loose. time to find a new spot and this time claim it don't whinge when someone beats you to it, nothing comes free in this world if you don't wanna pay then don't do it.
G-old  
Posted : Sunday, 11 August 2013 1:23:31 PM(UTC)
G-old

Man
New Zealand

Please dont quote me on this guys but i dt think the link posted by nafcd is not corect as ive all ready been read my rights late last week while unpacking my box pan shovel ect by a guy about 6.2 n his late 20s early 30s i didnt ask for ID as he had a claim map n a bunch of claim based documents frm nzpam , he wasnt rude but was firm when he asked me to leave , but when u google a name u may get somthing totaly unrelated how many John Smiths are there in the world...?
N y would an aucklander travel so far to dredge ?
When i go down for a pan i usally stay with a mate who farms down the waitaki valley and one of his staff said he played rugby for Kurow 8-9 years ago with a fellow called dale franklin so it maybe the same person .
Ive bin tolled there is a sign up now mining prohibited and says were it starts n finishes ect n what will happen if ur caught there but if he is local he may be able to be found , as if hes using a big dredge he wont be working alone ..
Id not worry about the bridge tho if its like the bearing sea gold dredges they will be in deep pools n sucking down to bedrock under water if they have dive tanks or air lines ?
Has anyone seen a big dredge in there ? Ive seen small ones but ud have to have more $ than brains to buy a claim for a small back pack style dredge ?
My gues the bridge is safe .
If i could dive id be n the canons n deep pools between the camp n 1st bridge . Dose any one no ?
This spots just so easy to park n pan its a major pain. If we go paning ect what can the claim owner do if we get caught ?
Any one know ??

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 2:32:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

6 Pages<1234>»