New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

6 Pages<12345>»
G-old  
Posted : Sunday, 11 August 2013 1:35:14 PM(UTC)
G-old

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Dose anyone know how face book works can that be used to hunt people down
Streeter  
Posted : Monday, 12 August 2013 8:04:54 PM(UTC)
Streeter

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
https://www.facebook.com/dale.franklin.94?fref=ts

maybe?

http://www.nzpam.govt.nz...5179&exitMode=close#

if we cant just go there and do some fosicking then i will be livid :(

know some guys that hev been panning there since they were teenagers

and is it normal for them to get such a huge area? 55 odd hectares?
Streeter  
Posted : Monday, 12 August 2013 8:06:36 PM(UTC)
Streeter

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
yup thats the guy has images of his claim on there!!

quote on his facebook page

"Arrr i be a golding in them there hills now , sorry to all you jew pricks that are getting kicked out , gota suck to be the owners of the camping ground...."

Edited by user Monday, 12 August 2013 8:08:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jafa  
Posted : Monday, 12 August 2013 8:51:57 PM(UTC)
jafa

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Streeter Go to Quoted Post

"Arrr i be a golding in them there hills now , sorry to all you jew pricks that are getting kicked out , gota suck to be the owners of the camping ground...."

Lol did it really say jew pricks out haha thats funny

Best to just give it up and look else where like someone else pointed out if you went to the expence of setting a claim up would you risk letting others on that may break the rules .
chrischch  
Posted : Monday, 12 August 2013 8:52:13 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)

Well that answers most of the questions! I guess anyone and everyone had the opportunity to claim it for ages and if he's paid his money and done the paperwork then you cant really say much.
I do believe that claims should be restricted in size though.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
nafcd  
Posted : Monday, 12 August 2013 10:10:29 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
he sounds like a right charming gentleman. seems he's quite happy to stop anyone going there and extremely happy he has stopped the camp owner. a prize plonker.
gogold  
Posted : Monday, 12 August 2013 10:31:01 PM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
good on the dude, I hope he adopted that attitude after reading your rants/ whinging on here. what hes done is perfectly legal and what all you guys do is fully illegal hes well within his rights to tell you and the camp owner where to go.

chrischch why should claims be made smaller? minimum annual fee is just 11ish per hectare with a minimum of $500 so would make sense to have at least 40-50ha and it will also cost the same to consent etc with 1ha or 100ha may as well get more bang for your buck. another factor is the new changes to crown min where any dredge claims under 40ha(I think, maybe 45ha) are classed as hobby claims and that can restrict size of gear and limit the operation.

time to move on and find a new spot to get "stolen" from you.
chrischch  
Posted : Monday, 12 August 2013 11:03:10 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Well thats some stuff I didnt know. Thanks gogold.
modify  
Posted : Monday, 12 August 2013 11:24:45 PM(UTC)
modify

New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Sorry that this is my first post, I've not felt a need to join as I get out panning maybe once every two months if I'm lucky.

I guess it's just a little sucky as like many other locals I like heading out for a pan and a swim with my family. I may still head out for a swim, but it is no longer worth the trip when there are other swim holes closer.

My goal of being out at the Danseys was never to find a big nugget or $100s of gold but to take a day doing something which I can enjoy with my family, not as a serious gold panning hobbiest but just a bit of fun. There is no way I could justify $3500+ for the amount of time I spend out there.

As for the rest of Oamaru I am very sure that there are going to be a large number of upset locals. Schools, clubs and all sorts of groups go out there. And yes they are "breaking the law" but were not talking about taking a dredge out there, it's school kids a pan and a hath shovel getting out amoungst it rather than sitting on there butts in front of a computer 'irony right now'.

As a local I feel ripped off, especially knowing that there are a few business people who probably would have chipped in to keep the area open for public fossicking.

I don't feel there was any public notification or consultation.

I guess Ill just have to go out there smoke my cigar and drink my beverage and sit there doing nothing.
nafcd  
Posted : Monday, 12 August 2013 11:57:14 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
well said modify. to satisfy my curiosity just how many of the whingers who are accusing us of whinging have their own claim.
chrischch  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 August 2013 12:45:09 AM(UTC)
chrischch

Yeah it's a shame the rules of gold prospecting/claims etc isn't better known. Every second person you meet on the rivers/creeks has no idea of the rules.

Then maybe the businesses and associations etc in Oamaru would have known they needed to sort out a claim etc.......or as it was such a popular spot, a public notice would have helped.
jafa  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 August 2013 12:47:58 AM(UTC)
jafa

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)
If there's river gravel under the camp ground maybe the owner could dig a pit for people to chip away at?
Just an idea Iv never been there so don't no .
foss391  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 August 2013 1:22:07 AM(UTC)
foss391

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)

Maybe the locals should read what this guy thinks of them, maybe he'll leave the camp area alone as a good gesture.
Teknetics Delta 4000. Garrett Pro Finder
G-old  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 August 2013 4:47:13 AM(UTC)
G-old

Man
New Zealand

Wow there is such a wide range of views on this topic .
I said earlyer on , a farmer i no down there knows him in a round about kind of way and i found him,on face book and msged him and sent a email as my daughter knows how these face book things work.
He replyed ,and i said who i was and how and why id like to chat , so he said to called him and he would explane ,so i did and said who i was ect , and he wasnt rude but had said for the last 6 weeks he had , had people emailing alsort of things to him.

From polite questions on getting to pan there, and straight out abuse just because he had got a permit or applied for one .
All because he wanted to be all leagel and that now people were saying F....you we will just sneek on u rich ..... ...... ........!
Or things like i will smack u in the head u c...t faced .....with my shovel and the list goes on he is well over people that expect to be able to take somthing that dosent belong to them and make $ for nothing.
And keeping in mind if he wanted to he could show the police and let them sort out these kind of people ruining it for everyone.

On his advice ive looked on the NZPAM site and hes telling the truth n he had sound reasons for saying he wanted to close it up , as hobby miners have been sand baging the river for there sluices to get good flow and leaving rubbish n beer cans food wrapers about in our rivers even human waste on the bank diging under the bridges dredging out of the sides of banks, pulling up roots along the rivers edge.
Now hes liable for this if ecan inspect the river and a govt mine inspector and , as such all health n saftey issues or osh if u get hurt .
Now i wasnt happy when i 1st saw this on there it made me join to give my view on the claim, but no wonder he made smart coments and said your all wanting somthing for nothing .( hence the jew statement, im guessing ). Or being tight , going dutch, ect.
Im sure white power is not now going dredging.
So thanks to you guys out there maybe on this blog for being rude n leaving waste behind and not respecting our country and the person , who may well of let people pan if he had not been abused just for playing by the rules , yes the ones we ..., including myself have been breaking .
Mostly because we havent even read them .
Im still pissed off i have to travel futher now , but il find a spot ask NZPAM if its ok to be there n il do what we do .

Its no good acting the fool and ruining it for others , ya never no we mite be all happy if some folks hadnt acted like that .

My call lasted a good hour plus n if he was such an arse i don't think he would waste his time giving me tips on gear and places to go and what depth its likely to be n diffrent rock types how the law works ect.

So i dont blame him he was kind to me and makes me belive some folks on this blog need to respect people and they will help you, if not well this happens .

Now i best go to work and think about gold .

Edited by user Tuesday, 13 August 2013 5:05:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

foss391  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 August 2013 9:18:43 AM(UTC)
foss391

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Thanks for clearing up those points G old,and good on you for talking to the guy.
Shame it's only a few who spoil for the majority, maybe the lure of gold was too much for certain folks and respect for the area was neglected.
A case of shitting in the nest, quite literally.
I hope another area will fill the good people's needs, but once again it's vulnerable to the wide scope of human behaviour, especially when gold fever strikes.
Good luck out there and be a tidy kiwi.
Teknetics Delta 4000. Garrett Pro Finder
simon  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 August 2013 9:30:00 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
it's good to see the last few posts adding some context from the other side of all this.
ignorance of the rules won't save anyone anymore. if you want to have a place to pan or whatever you need a claim of some sort. simple as that.
even the campground digging a hole to pan in - that technically would need a permit also.
in reality the folk that run nasebytown should have been more on the ball if they felt a permit holder might one day exclude the town from panning.
who knows, one days the claimholder may make some of the site a public area. that can and has been done elsewhere i understand. if all you guys have been so busy panning away over the years there shouldn't be much gold left by town? be nice to the guy and see what happens.
amazing how quickly everyone makes assumptions regarding people without meeting them or finding out a bit about them.

in conclusion perhaps this forum should get a section focussing on how the permit system works, and all the ins and outs of the law and it's many arms of money collection. i wonder how many people here would actually get a claim then or still wouldn't.

i feel for those that are naive to the law. yes, the law often stinks. sometimes you just have to take it. i've met quite a lot of dredgers over the years. they have worked hard and spent big money to get their claims. true, there are some aholes out there that tie up land without ever intending on dredging it. or put a permit over all of bloody otago.

if it's simply a place to pan and sluice that is needed why not research a way to make it happen. get the local community groups behind you. do some fundraising even.

or you could be nice to a permit holder and they might let you onboard. the thing is with the permits - if a amateur makes a mess of the river bank or such it is the permit holder that cops it. this is why not many are keen to allow newbies on claims.

goldtimer  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 August 2013 10:02:25 AM(UTC)
goldtimer

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I agree with gogold, the bitching on here is unbelievable. There is plenty of gold for everybody. Man up and do some walking in a new area, or get a claim. There are some fantastic spots that are unclaimed. Don't whine and complain.
gogold  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 August 2013 11:30:35 AM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
G-old, good to hear the other side of the story I can only imagine the amount of abuse the poor fella has copped over the last month or 2.
Most claim owners are good buggers theyre just like you guys but saved some hard earned $ and taken their hobby and love of gold further, it can cost a lot of money to set up some areas the bills can get to 10k easily before theyre legal, not to mention the many hours of phone calls and paperwork involved so you cant blame them for wanting to lock out the other fossickers that can put all that at risk

simon a forum section on claims and the processes involved would be a good idea, not just as a help/guide but to help the guys that don't have a clue and have a whinge about claims realise what those guys have had to do and the time and money it has taken to accomplish.

modify  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 August 2013 12:00:48 PM(UTC)
modify

New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
There has been a lot said about rules and laws and I totally agree that having made the claim Mr Franklin is within his rights and yes every time people have gone out there for the past 100 years for a pan could be considered illegal, but driving 105km per hours in a 100km zone is also illegal.

If people where really pulling big amounts of Gold out of the river some commercial outfit would have drilled the site, like which has been done over at St Bathans, placed a claim and run it.

As for rubbish being left out there what a bunch of baloney, in the 6 years which I've been going out there to swim camp and pan I haven't seen jack diddly rubbish, let alone sand bagging. When I have seen rubbish, like any other local, I pick it up and dispose of it.

Adding to this, Danseys pass is a major tourist area, thousands go through there each year, car clubs, weddings, freedom campers, day walkers, trampers, fishermen...etc and to claim that all the rubbish left there is from panners is just ludicrous.

For me and I'm sure 99% of all the locals, and probably most further a feild, who pan, coming to Danseys has never been a place to strike it rich it's just beautiful and relaxing. De-stressing while shoveling some dirt through a sluice 45mins from home has always been something I've look forward to with excitement, especially because I could have my wife and family there too, swiming, having fun and bbq lunch.

Plus I know the camp owners pretty well, they are Messianic Jews (Christian Jews) so with the comment Mr's Franklin put up, mentioned above, I must say I'm pretty upset that someone would be so brazen about making the statement he did about them on his Facebook page.

I can see the other side of the coin, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

G-old  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 August 2013 3:43:04 PM(UTC)
G-old

Man
New Zealand

To add to my last post about fools on this site and ones jumped out allready Streeter i to have looked and saw that post from face book u have put on here and i can see ur not friends with him at all on face book ??,
and it ends ... Why because ur only able to see a small part of his post as thats how face book works so . Dont take every thing as true as i have rung him again about 30 minutes ago and he explane one of the many people harrassing him on fb was calling him hitler and it was a response
It folllowed on to say .....its gota suck to be the owners of the camping ground.........having all u people that want somthing for free turning up there and wanting it all for free no doubt as well.
His post goes on to say im so sick of people naging me for free gold n if you say no you have people ,call me hittler or starlin or a wanker n such.

Its his page n him expressing anger at people like you stiring up trouble by doing this hence why ur not his freind on Face Book an have helped stop a bit of paning for good folks streeter i think your a .......,.........

And i feel for Mr Franklyn as hes doing nothing wrong at all
6 Pages<12345>»