New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

6 Pages123>»
Goldie  
Posted : Wednesday, 1 May 2013 11:08:01 PM(UTC)
Goldie

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi guys. It appears as thought someone has submitted a claim for a mining permit in and around the dansey's pass holiday park. Will be interesting to see if they still allow people to fossick there with hand tools if and when the permit is approved.It's a very popular place to go and try and find a bit of colour and and have a bit of a play. Panned my first ever bit of colour there mysef a couple of years ago. I apoligize if this has already been mentioned.

Dwayne.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 2 May 2013 9:15:25 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
im sure it was where I got my first colours to
lived in timaru and took the kids down there for summer holidays to the camping ground had a sluice box in the middle of the river borrowed the owner of the camps wheelbarrow washed the grasses from the side of the river in it the wheeled it to the box and put all the sands through the box had a deck chair in the river beside the box
did ok and got some good colour that was back 28 years ago
tried under the bridge up the road further and got colour there as well
its a great place it will be a shame if they close it off
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Thursday, 2 May 2013 5:04:42 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
thats where i got my first bit to...would be a shame to see it taken away if the claim is ok'd...alot of kids go down there when someone is panning...i know i have showen quite a few how to do it there.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
oroplata  
Posted : Thursday, 2 May 2013 6:38:37 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Hasn't it ALWAYS been under a claim - owned by the holiday park owners - allowing them to let visitors fossick?

nafcd  
Posted : Thursday, 2 May 2013 8:37:59 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
i contacted the park owner recently about spending a few days there and he told me it was possibly under a claim. from what i have heard and read the claim would be granted. money talks. especially where mining is involved.
Free Fossicker Forster  
Posted : Sunday, 5 May 2013 4:39:09 PM(UTC)
Free Fossicker Forster

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
My first fossicking trip back in January last year was there. We stayed at the campground and borrowed some pans. Found my first constellation of small flakes and specks at the very last chance. Never been able stop since! I first got the idea while cycling over Danseys Pass and saw their sign. "Gold panning!" Nice place. Mmmm maybe I'll try that and get lucky I thought. I would imagine quite a few people stay for that reason and so some lost dollars for the campground if they have they have to stop. Quite a shame really as its maybe one of the nearest places many people can go fossicking.
LepreSean  
Posted : Monday, 6 May 2013 3:23:03 PM(UTC)
LepreSean

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Goldie Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys. It appears as thought someone has submitted a claim for a mining permit in and around the dansey's pass holiday park. Will be interesting to see if they still allow people to fossick there with hand tools if and when the permit is approved.It's a very popular place to go and try and find a bit of colour and and have a bit of a play. Panned my first ever bit of colour there mysef a couple of years ago. I apoligize if this has already been mentioned.

Dwayne.

Here is a link to the permit No55179 https://data.nzpam.govt.....aspx?commodity=minerals has only just been submitted, so a bit of breathing space yet, it is a 20 year permit, and part of it straddles the Glass Earth prospecting permit. Here is a link to the company that has the Maerewhenua premit http://www.business.govt...i/pages/companies/822741 shows two directors with Auckland and Dargaville addresses.

Edited by user Monday, 6 May 2013 3:27:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

auri sacra fames (accursed hunger for gold)
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Monday, 6 May 2013 7:35:10 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Im sure the ''breathing space'' was just talked about in the tadmore claim !
Juggie  
Posted : Tuesday, 7 May 2013 3:03:55 PM(UTC)
Juggie

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Apparently, they've been down that way dredging & have now submitted the permit.

The locals were aware & are keeping an eye on it ... though they would also appreciate any updates from the members.
nafcd  
Posted : Thursday, 9 May 2013 8:54:14 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

it sucks that areas that have been able to be used presumably for years can potentially be stopped by some buggers with a wad of cash.

Edited by user Thursday, 9 May 2013 9:03:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

simon  
Posted : Friday, 10 May 2013 10:08:31 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
the irony in all this is perhaps the claimants saw all the posts on this site and realised the area had potential.

lesson is, keep your local secrets local. don't plaster crap online for all and sundry to read and exploit. remember not everyone is your friend unfortunately, and there are many non-members that milk the site for all its worth and don't contribute.

what i never understand is how to get a claim the process involves of course, knowing there is gold there worth spending claim money on. saying the claimants have been dredging there previous surely implicates them as doing illegal dredging. yet, if this was not done you could not be fully sure of the areas potential? i guess this is why exploration permits exist but they are more than a small claim would need to get to the actual mining permit stage.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 10 May 2013 12:49:03 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Further to what Simon has said above when he said 'don't plaster crap online for all and sundry to read and exploit. remember not everyone is your friend unfortunately, and there are many non-members that milk the site for all its worth and don't contribute.' - No truer word has been spoken.

As everyone has seen I am one who puts a lot of 'crap' online - I am of a mind that it doesnt matter much to me for several reasons - I admire an honest and straight person, I actually quite like running foul of arseholes and dont mind face to face confrontation, I am still undergoing the 'learning curve that is life' and on this site I have made some really fine friends.

This site is full of users and it is also perused by those who dont want to contribute but want to capitalize out of yours and my success. Some just read through the threads to get ideas and some join to ask questions to find out what they want but will put a knife in your back when they get the chance. I noted in a thread this week someone asking "Where did you find that gold?" - best never to say - or better still tell them some obscure place where it hasnt been found yet!

I Have had some interesting experiences with members from this forum - one member from Auckland wrote all pally and friendly and arranged to come down which he and his partner did. When they were here I loaned them gear. I gave up my own time and material right there and then while they waited and made them a glass bottom box, I gave them the key to my property and the freedom of the entire place, the huts, the facilities and all - they went and did their thing - made use of me - got what they wanted and I have never heard from them again.

Another member of this site got friendly with me, visited me a couple of times - got himself an invite to my property - he was pushy. When he came down he got the key to my property and I went to meet him up there. There were two other fellows up there one of whom I think is also a member of this site - uninvited. This second fellow had the cheek and audacity to TELL ME where he was going but never got there - users. I told the first fellow who got the initial invitation off for having his mates along. They had decent natures but all the same they were users and behind my back the first one made an arrangement for his mates to come.

My son has caught another member of this forum on my place while yet another one made efforts by sneaky means to get access.

Yes indeed it does pay to be careful what you say here and Simon is totally correct in what he says above.

Now on this site there are also some really great people whom I would trust anywhere any time and whom I am honoured to count as my friends and whom I will always welcome onto my place anytime they like without reservation - kiwikeith, lepresean, 9oznuggetman, guardian, poohbear and rgmcb (even if Robert and I dont agree on a few thing!) creamer (even if we havent met yet) 1864hatter is also a decent guy and good company - these guys are the genuine and honest guys. These guys are the very best of company and above all do their part, play their part and contribute and do not make use of others - great guys. A couple of these guys have their own keys and can go there anytime they like.

So it takes two types to make up the site - the good honest and genuine guys and the users who want to capitalize out of the success of others and have either joined the site to bleed it or cruise it to bleed it. I am here for the decent fellows.

It doesnt pay to let anyone know where you get your gold...Simon is quite right.

Edited by user Saturday, 11 May 2013 12:30:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Goldie  
Posted : Saturday, 11 May 2013 2:12:16 PM(UTC)
Goldie

New Zealand

I completley agree with Lammerlaw and Simon. It definatley appears as if there are a lot of people on this site for purely selfish reasons. You only have to look at the number of guests vs the number of members online at any one time.

In saying that i was a lurker on this site for a long time as i wasn't comfortable posting when i was so green and didn't know much. Now that i'm out there and doing it from time to time and learning a bit i look forward to contributing a bit more and getting to know some of the good buggers on here.

At the end of the day the gold that we seek is of course valuable but will never be as valuable as the good friendships we make as we go through life. This site offers the best of both worlds in that regard but as Lammerlaw and Simon have said you have to be careful about what you share with someone before you get to know them.

Dwayne
oroplata  
Posted : Saturday, 11 May 2013 2:32:26 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Might be worth considering moving the "nuggets" into forums that can only been seen by members?

Any posts that discuss locations?

nafcd  
Posted : Saturday, 11 May 2013 7:59:17 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

wouldn't people do the same thing though. get their information as a member but not contribute anything.
oroplata  
Posted : Saturday, 11 May 2013 8:28:23 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Maybe, but then you can have an area for "approved" members one - the ones who contribute in a positive way - an "insiders only" forum. No stickybeakers or search engines get access.

Juggie  
Posted : Monday, 13 May 2013 2:03:15 PM(UTC)
Juggie

To get back on topic ...

Talking to my dad last night, the local farmers & fishing people are not happy at all.

Sounds like there will be some significant resistance.
Goldie  
Posted : Monday, 13 May 2013 2:58:50 PM(UTC)
Goldie

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Juggie Go to Quoted Post
To get back on topic ...

Talking to my dad last night, the local farmers & fishing people are not happy at all.

Hope i'm not missing the obvious here. But why would the local farmers and to a lesser degree the fishermen be so unhappy about a minning permit on the river? From what i understand if done correctly dredging can actually be good for fish by giving them fresh gravels to feed off.

And as for the local farmers i don't really see how it affects them too much. Unless these local farmers are the same locals who also enjoy minning the river themselves?

No disrespect intended. Just trying to understand the situation.

Cheers Dwayne
gogold  
Posted : Monday, 13 May 2013 3:00:31 PM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Juggie Go to Quoted Post
To get back on topic ...

The riverbed is probably Linz not farmers land, Fisherman dont get consulted only Fish and game and unless its deemed to be a major breeding ground then they will sign off on it too, Also is the river on ORC's list of rivers sensitive to suction dredging? if not then they can get in there with a 6" dredge and no consent so pretty much the only thing to do is stop whinging and get over it.

Its been said many times before if you dont like your favourite possies claimed up then do something about securing the areas for yourself otherwise youll lose it!!!!! Most claim owners are reasonable and know that people with pans and hand sluices cant really do fark all to affect them also that stretch has been hammered for years by weekend fossickers if the owners have done much research at all then they probaly wont even go near that area.

Stop whinging get a few fellow fossickers together and go confront your local MP about getting a few more public areas, or consult doc or whoever admins the current fossicking areas and find out about the possibility of yous doig a bit of fundraising etc and put a in for panning/sluicing claim and gift it to them so it can be opened to the public? besides what everyones been doing there is technically illegal.
Juggie  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 May 2013 9:15:05 AM(UTC)
Juggie

Don't shoot the messenger ... I was just passing on information.
6 Pages123>»