New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 17 March 2011 10:38:43 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Just back from a few days in the bush and glad I finally have a piccy worth showing! :) Attached is a photo of the gold found in a crevice within another crevice retrieved using one of John's crevice suckers.

Quite stoked as this is the most I've ever found, it's usually just a small flake here and there and nothing else. Was at the same spot (luckily!) the day the earthquake struck Chch which we cleaned out the crevice next to this one for 2.8 grams of gold. Will be interesting to see how much we got this time after I get it cleaned up and weighed - a fair bit more me thinks!

Couldn't believe my eyes with this one when I had the first go with the crevice sucker and emptying the contents in to my pan I could immediately see several small nuggets. Me and my mate were up there for a long time that day with a case of "just one more", then another "just one more" - ended up wandering down the stream in near darkness.

Once I get the photos off my mate I'll also post some of us in our "bush gimp" gear so you can have a laugh. Luckily we ran in to no-one else - must have looked quite a sight in wetsuits, shorts and knee pads blazing up the gorge. Got to say - wet suits are the way to go if you want to plough on up a gorge to spots people are unlikely to have been before! Nice and toasty too :)

As you can probably tell - I'm quite excited with finally finding some colour! :)
gavin attached the following image(s):
IMG_2277-resized.jpg
1864hatter  
Posted : Thursday, 17 March 2011 12:00:12 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Hey gavin well done!

I lost my crvice sucker in some rapids over the summer im thinking im going to need another one now. Was this gold from ur trip up to queenstown?
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 17 March 2011 12:17:41 PM(UTC)
gavin

Hi Hatter,

Nah, this was a bit closer to home - over the west coast ;) Didn't find much in Q'town, but only spent a proper day looking with Simon - another guy on these forums.

Yep, those crevice suckers are handy tools - even when it looked like there wasn't anything left it kept managing to suck little pieces out of nooks and crannies.

Cheers,
Gav :)
nzgold  
Posted : Thursday, 17 March 2011 2:02:04 PM(UTC)
nzgold

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi Gavin, Good job. That's what you get for persevering. Nice gold!
starflash  
Posted : Friday, 18 March 2011 5:44:56 AM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
thats a good lookin pan, some nice bits in there, well done
dettol  
Posted : Friday, 18 March 2011 7:38:44 AM(UTC)
dettol

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Awesome! Well done gavin!
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 18 March 2011 8:28:37 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi Gavin, Mate.....I didnt tell you....but I stuck some gold up inside the crevice sucker so that after a bit of time with water & that...the gold would dislodge & fall into your pan.....
Na just kidding. Good on you mate. Well done. Its a buss isnt it when you get some nice gold. Oh the joy & excitement of just one more pan....one more bit of colour.....oh shit its getting dark......bugger. Now you can see why I always carry a head lamp with me. The number of times I have stumbled out in the dark.
The crevice sucker is a great little tool as you have found out. Thanks for the plug & mention of it. They are worth there weight in gold that is for sure. They seem to pull out gold from no where. I NEVER go out with out my ones & never come home with no gold. My last day up a Coro creek had me 1.5 grams & it was all retrieved with the crevice sucker.
Good one Gavin.

Happy hunting

JW :)
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 18 March 2011 8:53:28 AM(UTC)
gavin

Lol, cheers JW :P

Yes, was quite interesting making our way back down the gorge / stream in near darkness. Both me and my mate ended up in the drink at one point. I had my metal detector with me so was in a panic to keep it above the water - just managed to while I was getting pushed down stream bumping this rock and that. Was quite amusing, happened right next to the entrance to the gorge as well - nearly made it all the way myself without hiccup, but tripped with the end in sight :P

Will put in the head torch next time!
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 18 March 2011 4:13:30 PM(UTC)
gavin

Cleaned most of it up - looks just over 12.5 grams + 2.8 grams from the trip to the same spot previous time = nearly $1,000. Not bad :) Though I do have to split it with my buddy 50/50.
roman holiday  
Posted : Saturday, 19 March 2011 4:46:03 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Good stuff Gavin! Looks like I'll have to buy a crevassing device of JW [already got the wetsuit] !lol Lets catch up for some crevassing on the West Coast next summer!
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 19 March 2011 5:57:10 AM(UTC)
gavin

Hi Roman, definitely the best bit of kit I reckon. Think I could quite happily go bush with just a pan, spade, sniffer bottle and crevice sucker in my bag. Light kit to explore deep with :) Next summer - game on ;)
Eagle  
Posted : Saturday, 19 March 2011 2:59:57 PM(UTC)
Eagle

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Well done Gavin,I bet youve got the fever running now!!!

Were you in the water sniping? or were you on the dry?
kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 19 March 2011 3:49:19 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

gavin wrote:
Hi Roman, definitely the best bit of kit I reckon. Think I could quite happily go bush with just a pan, spade, sniffer bottle and crevice sucker in my bag. Light kit to explore deep with :) Next summer - game on
Hi Gavin, Yep crevice sucker, snuffer bottle, crevice scraper, under water view finder, hand trowel & gold pan. Makes for a very light kit & can be a fun & rewarding day.
Good haul of gold you got there. No stopping you now, your bitten by the bug & you have now become another GAD victim. Gold Addiction Disorder & there is no known cure......
I have just got in from a day up a Coro creek sluice boxing & crevicing with crevice sucker & scraper. Havnt finished clean up yet but I reckon about 1.5 grams again. Nothing like your catch. Well done.

Happy hunting

Regards

JW :)
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 19 March 2011 4:37:05 PM(UTC)
gavin

Cheers JW. Hoping to get back out to the same spot in the next week or two before it starts getting too cold - definitely more to be had! Quite a lucky find that spot! Yep, bitten by the bug now :P
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 20 March 2011 4:47:59 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi Gavin. Yep you do the time out in the field & sooner or later you are going to stumble onto something that will bring a smile to your dial. The old numbers game thing. Persisntancy & consistancy are the mother of skill combine that with a LOT of research & reading & you increase your chances yet again.
I have found the same thing with detecting for gold. You can walk & cover a lot of ground area & you may find the odd loner piece of gold here & there but if you keep at it you sooner or later walk over a little patch that may have dozens of pieces.
Yes winter is coming but if you get yourself a pair of neoprene waders, they arent cheap, but they are very comfy & warm in that snow melt water & you can keep on going through the winter. It is then just your hands you need to deal with.
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 20 March 2011 4:50:03 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Just dont fall over in the river with them on. LOL :)

JW
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 26 March 2011 4:26:54 AM(UTC)
gavin

Yes, I could imagine it could get interesting if you fall in. Was funny enough watching my mate flounder when he fell in with the buckets! :P
starflash  
Posted : Monday, 28 March 2011 3:47:20 AM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
hi gavin

were you using the sucker under water, ie spoting gold then sucking or could you not see what was in there and had a big suprise when you emptied your material into a bucket. i have never tried to use them blind before.
gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 April 2011 3:43:20 AM(UTC)
gavin

Went back to the spot last week and found 4.1 grams more including a nice 1 gram nugget :)
File Attachment(s):
1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 April 2011 6:14:30 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Youre doing well gavin and im stuck down in dunedin with nothing to do but study and sneak out for the occasional relic hunt with my detector. So how are you finding this stuff actually snorkling for it or up on the banks?

Cheers
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
2 Pages12>